Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

It took about 6 weeks but my MGW shifter came in. This thing is so beefy. Trans mounted instead of body mounted like the factory one, which likes to lock you out of third under hard acceleration. Hopefully will have time to install it next weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Ive never actually seen a picture of these shifters on newer mustangs (not that I ever needed too) but drat that thing indeed looks beefy as hell!

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

opengl128 posted:

It took about 6 weeks but my MGW shifter came in. This thing is so beefy. Trans mounted instead of body mounted like the factory one, which likes to lock you out of third under hard acceleration. Hopefully will have time to install it next weekend.

Let me know how it drives. I've been wanting one for my 2018 as the MT-82 D4 is trash and I need some cheap ways of making it feel better.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Fox body question.

I know there was the 93 Mustang Cobra. I'm not asking about that because I'm certain they really existed.
What I'm asking about it the Mustang "Cobra GT" or maybe it was the "GT Cobra".

I don't ever recall seeing anything in books or online about them, but I remember in the mid-late 90s in newspapers and the Tri-ad seeing "Mustang Cobra GT" (or "GT Cobra") for sale, many times. Like a whole bunch of times, and in fact I think I saw one in the flesh today. The one I saw today was 87 or newer because it had the 87+ quarter windows. From back in the day, I don't ever recall what model years I saw for sale, just that they were fox bodies.

So..... What is the deal with them? Since I've never seen anything that I can recall in books (I have a whole bunch of Mustang books) or magazines, was this a for real model or were Cobra stickers just something that was really popular for Five Point Oh owners back in the day?

Was it just an appearance package? A Handling package? Just a few stupid stickers?

I'm in Canadastan and all these "Cobra GTs" were listed in Canadian publications, if that makes a difference.

Super fake edit: Also aware that there was a 1979-81 Cobra as well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

It was a goofy Canadian thing. Name only.

http://www.mustanggt.org/canadiangt#1984-1992\

quote:

While all 1982-1993 Canadian-export Mustangs did have slight differences from their U.S. counterparts, the biggest source of confusion for most people always seems to be regarding the 1984-1992 Canadian Mustang GT’s due to the addition of the word “Cobra” to their name by Ford of Canada.

First of all, let’s get the proper terminology straight, because this is the key to generating the least amount of confusion about these cars… all 1984–1992 Mustang GT’s sold in Canada were marketed as “Mustang Cobra GT’s” by Ford. Hopefully by using ”Canadian Mustang Cobra GT” or “Cobra GT” for short, people will not be confused by other “Cobras” produced by Ford including the 1979-1981 Mustangs equipped with the Cobra package and the 1993-up SVT Cobras (more on these models later in the article).

The term “Cobra GT” is found in 1984-1992 Canadian Ford sales brochures and other Ford-produced literature in place of the term “GT” used in U.S. Mustang literature. In addition, the words “Mustang Cobra GT” were also used on the window stickers of all 1984-1992 GT’s sold in Canada. The term “Cobra GT” was a direct replacement for the word “GT” in Ford of Canada Mustang literature during this time period. Interestingly, no other Mustang models such as the L, GL, GLX, LX, LX 5.0L Sport or Turbo GT received a different name in Canada. Canadians report that this “Mustang Cobra GT” terminology is also used when registering and insuring these cars in Canada. Canadian owners have also told us that even though Ford did not call the 1982-1983 and 1993 Mustang GT's "Cobra GT's", this terminology mistakenly shows up for 1982-1983 and 1993 Mustang GT's in insurance databases.

The addition of the “Cobra” name leads many people to believe that these cars have additional performance equipment or special features over a regular U.S. GT, but that is NOT the case. The bottom line is 1984-1992 Canadian Cobra GT’s are simply the Canadian version of the U.S.-sold 1984–1992 Mustang GT. The difference is in NAME only; there are NO fundamental differences between the Canadian and U.S. GT models. Performance-wise, the 1984-1992 Canadian Cobra GT’s were absolutely no different than their American GT counterparts (including horsepower figures, available engines, transmissions and suspensions). This fact has been verified through a number of sources including the comparison of Canadian vs. U.S. Ford sales brochures and individual car’s build sheets and window stickers.

To illustrate this, we have compiled a table with some selected examples of similarities and differences between the buildsheet from a 1986 Canadian Cobra GT vs. the buildsheet from a U.S. Mustang GT:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Powershift posted:

It was a goofy Canadian thing. Name only.

http://www.mustanggt.org/canadiangt#1984-1992\

Thanks!
I had a feeling it was something like that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Had the Stifflers subframe connectors out on. Such a huge difference. If you have an SN95 and don’t have them, get a set.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

if everything checks out, is this a good deal?

https://www.autotrader.ca/a/ford/mustang/mississauga/ontario/19_11890740_/?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=11_13_13&pc=L6H%200E2&sprx=100

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

I'm thinking of getting a vinyl stripe kit to put on my 2019 mustang. Any recommendations? Advice?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Don’t know about Canadian prices but that probably the cheapest your going to find a 5.0 convertible with that few miles

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

that looks completely stock, low miles, for 10,000miles for $10k USD. its probabbly been babied. so I would say yes its probabbly a good buy if everything checks out.
if the hoses are stock, then some of them may have to get replaced.

I hardly drive my car, 2001 with 25k miles. and the rubber exhaust hangers and engine tubing have dry rotted. but that stuff is stupid cheap to replace in the grand scheme of things.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks for the replies. I'm probably not going to buy it, but was curious.
I'm getting a new ride soon, so anything fun will be next summer, but I've just been looking around to gauge prices and whatnot.
I really want a 65-66 convertible, but they're probably out of reasonable reach. Fox bodies are closer to my price range, but still *maybe* too much unless I REALLY want it, but the SN95s are still cheap thus far.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

sudo rm -rf posted:

Finally got to purchase the car I've been pumped for like a year and a half:

crazy that it's been six years already. my last payment is next month.

the primary issues i've dealt with:

i need to get the compressor or the belt look at, the a/c blows fine but it's incredibly whiney, might need to be replaced

the brakes have always always squealed and i could never figure out why

and the shittiest bit - i ended up with pretty bad paint bubbling and corrosion on the aluminum hood that didn't pop up until after my warranty expired. i'll have to get it repainted or replaced eventually.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

BrownieVK posted:

Let me know how it drives. I've been wanting one for my 2018 as the MT-82 D4 is trash and I need some cheap ways of making it feel better.

It took two days, but I got it installed. It was pretty miserable. You have to do almost everything from below the car, which means working around the driveshaft and exhaust while hugging the transmission. It's doable without removing the driveshaft or exhaust, but if I had to do it again I probably would pull them. There's one bolt way up top you can't even see that you have to do by feel that runs into the transmission tunnel as you unbolt it. To get clearance you have to remove the transmission crossmember and pull downwards on the driveshaft to lower the transmission just enough to work the bolt out. This part alone took a couple hours. On a lift it would probably be much easier, but on jack stands you just can't get the leverage you need. What ended up working was having my wife work the bolt while I basically hung all my weight off the front of the driveshaft and bounced it up and down.

Didn't take many pics as this was my view most of the time:

The shifter installed before putting the interior back together:

All buttoned up:

The shifter itself is super beefy and really well made. The factory shifter is body mounted and relies on several flex joints, this one has a single solid linkage and bolts to the transmission. Since the factory shifter was body mounted, under hard acceleration with everything moving, you'd often get locked out of third, or worse, hit first instead. Everything is rock solid now. I got their tamest shifter, height is barely lower than stock with maybe 30% throw reduction, but it's perfect for me.

Instead of pulling up on a collar for reverse it's a push down arrangement now. Takes a good amount of effort but it's not awful.

They sell an adapter to take up the space where the factory reverse collar would be if you want to reuse your factory knob, which I did since I like mine. I got a black adapter compared to the silver factory collar, I think it looks nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Haven't posted in a while, done a couple little projects on the car.

Pulled the NGK TR6 spark plugs that were in there, they looked fine but I replaced them with some Autolites that were gapped at 0.028"

2.70" Griptec pulley. I had a 2.62" Vortech pulley on there but everyone says you get a ton of slip with a pulley that small on a 6 rib. Not sure if this is giving me a hair more boost up top or not. Should have logged before/after.

The other benefit is it's a two-piece pulley so future changes will be faster. It wasn't too bad to heat the existing pulley up with a torch, it slid right off.

Top would go half way down, and had to be put up manually. Ugh. Easy fix, take the back seat out and fill the motor with ATF. Also got to vacuum some leaves and poo poo out of the back when I was in there. Also removed a Mach 460 amp that isn't being used anymore.

Got rid of the janky HID conversion. One was bluish and the other more purple so it looked even stupider. Will offer these to some kid with a New Edge if I meet any.

A wild 1995 Mustang GT appears!

Actually, it's my mom's car. Has been stalling on her and it's low on power. Plugs were toast, they've probably been in the car over 20 years since when she got it. Also put a fuel filter in it. Has a vacuum leak or something, idles low but at least you can powerbrake it now.

Finally got to race another car! Ran into a guy with a 13/14 5.0 with a sticker on his car that said '40 roll'. Works for me. Gave him the hit and beat him a couple times, spinning through 2nd. I'm not going faster than 65 unless we're out in the middle of nowhere. He pulled up on the side of me and said I was blowing white smoke. I asked if it was the tires but he said it was doing it even at slow speeds, so we pulled over and I popped the hood. Antifreeze gushing out the rear of the motor and smoke pouring out of the engine bay. Whoops. Better take it straight home and figure it out tomorrow. Figured I popped a heater hose or something. He said he had a Cobra Jet intake, tune and exhaust but we didn't get to talk much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi9tWqg-Fww

Ford Performance Parts 4.6 PI intake manifold to the rescue. My car is a 2000 so it already has a PI motor, but this is the updated intake with the aluminum front crossover.

Here's the crack in the front part of the intake.

SON OF A loving BITCH IT IS ALWAYS SOMETHING. Broke an alternator bolt off. I tried to cut a slot in it and try to get it out with a screwdriver, unsuccessfully tried an easy out. I want to drive this car since it's been down for a loving week and I've already not fixed my mom's car. So I just bought a loving alternator at the parts store for $230. I'll keep the other one since it works, maybe someone can use it and put their housing on the guts.

This is the intake all torn off. Didn't even take an hour.

Putting it back together took about 3 hours between having to go to the parts store, twice, and other poo poo. Runs fine now. Enjoying a cruise with the wife at the local Sonic.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Had the hood redone since the PPF ate a rock last year. Since it was all cleaned up it was time to put some bugs back on it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's the best grey I've ever seen, it looks deep and lush like wet clay, not chalky and flat and primered like every other grey car. Really nice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Installed Koni yellows at all four corners. Rides awesome now.

Also replaced all my ignition coils with a new set from MSD. Motorcraft are best but these were cheaper and I don’t drive the car much. Fixed my park blowout or misfire or whatever was happening at high loads.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Installed Koni yellows at all four corners. Rides awesome now.

Also replaced all my ignition coils with a new set from MSD. Motorcraft are best but these were cheaper and I don’t drive the car much. Fixed my park blowout or misfire or whatever was happening at high loads.

I honestly got MSD coils because they where red. no other reasons.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Had some money burning a hole in my pocket so i decided to have some stripes painted. I wasn’t much of a fan of the deep red color before but it really pops now with the white contrasting against it

I’m very happy with how it turned out

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Holy moly that is gorgeous

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
That looks fantastic. Did you consider any other little accents like a thin black strip on the outside of the white lines?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Had some money burning a hole in my pocket so i decided to have some stripes painted. I wasn’t much of a fan of the deep red color before but it really pops now with the white contrasting against it

Looks great.

Also you're about 20 minutes away from me. We should have a pedestrian smearing contest Mustang bro meet up.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Hell yea white stripes brother.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Broke my second parts store remanufactured alternator in less than 500 miles

Ordering one from KMJalts, should fix my problem.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Digital_Jesus posted:

Hell yea white stripes brother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0J2QdDbelmY

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

lol thanks guys. good to have my impression validated

Gwaihir posted:

That looks fantastic. Did you consider any other little accents like a thin black strip on the outside of the white lines?

yeah the guy at the shop suggested that but we both kind of thought on it and decided against it

opengl128 posted:

Looks great.

Also you're about 20 minutes away from me. We should have a pedestrian smearing contest Mustang bro meet up.

hell yeah that would be great. i'm also going to my first NASA track session in October too if you want to tag along

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hopefully the last changes to the car in a while.

When I swapped the intake manifold, a bolt broke off in the factory alternator. Ended up burning 2 parts store remans in just a couple drives so I bought one from KMJ.

It's quite a bit bigger and a little more annoying to swap out because the lower screws go through instead of the alternator just sliding on. But maybe it'll be more sturdy. Scratched an idler pulley when I was taking the belt off, so I had to sand it smooth.

Also, the instrument bezel had some kind of scuffs on it or maybe someone cleaned it with something harsh. Anyway, replaced that with a $30 one from eBay, looks a hundred times better.

Still want to get an aluminum driveshaft and diff cover. And maaaybe switch the wheels out but I just bought tires so that wouldn't make sense.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Bob Morales posted:

Also, the instrument bezel had some kind of scuffs on it or maybe someone cleaned it with something harsh. Anyway, replaced that with a $30 one from eBay, looks a hundred times better.
Still want to get an aluminum driveshaft and diff cover. And maaaybe switch the wheels out but I just bought tires so that wouldn't make sense.

Which vendor on Ebay did you use for the bezel, I may be interested in getting one as I didnt know you could buy it just like that. I thought you had to buy the whole thing.

Also diff covers, you looking to get an FRPP or something with a drain and input plugs? or something to connect a 4 link suspension on it?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

kalvick posted:

Which vendor on Ebay did you use for the bezel, I may be interested in getting one as I didnt know you could buy it just like that. I thought you had to buy the whole thing.

Also diff covers, you looking to get an FRPP or something with a drain and input plugs? or something to connect a 4 link suspension on it?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/99-thru-04...1-127632-2357-0

Just a FRPP cover, nothing fancy

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I am way too excited about a new car being released for GTA: Online.

Anyway my real car is good too I guess.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Wow are they normally that one to one?

I mean I played gta5/online a fair bit and I thought they were always "recognizable but distinctly changed". Like, I drove the 2005 mustang analog and it wasn't exactly the same. Or is that not exactly the same as a sn95?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wow are they normally that one to one?

I mean I played gta5/online a fair bit and I thought they were always "recognizable but distinctly changed". Like, I drove the 2005 mustang analog and it wasn't exactly the same. Or is that not exactly the same as a sn95?

Its real close. The scoop is backwards, the C pillar has a different angle, the front bumper is different, wheels slightly chunkier. Thats mostly it?

https://gta.fandom.com/wiki/Dominator_ASP

I think for the most part side shots from the game look more closely to the real thing than front/rear, since the big differences are headlights and taillights.

I feel like its a little closer than their S197 version.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
that new edge clone's exhaust is really annoying me.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

that new edge clone's exhaust is really annoying me.
Side exits will most assuredly be a mod you can do but it is surprising its not on the stock car.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Decided to put cats on the car.

Much quieter, doesn't stink like exhaust fumes, and now it sounds "like a Mustang" with the H pipe. The old snarl from the X pipe was pretty nasty though.

It's a sleeper now!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNCSYmC2ib4

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
Nice Bob Morales!

Currently I am old enough to get antique plates for my car and debating whether I should get them or not. There is no restrictions for driving the car in my state (CT) but property tax with it, I'm guaranteed it will not appraised for more than $500 a year. If the value of the car decides to skyrocket for some reason.

Then in 4 more years, my car will be doing its last emission test since it will be 24 years old. I wont be required to do emissions tests anymore so I could technically remove my cats but I probably wont do that.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I finally did a super detailing job on my car because I wanted to try ceramic coating. I can totally see why people pay $1000 for it to be professionally installed. The amount of prep work needed to do it right is unbelievable. Probably 16 hours of time went into correcting the paint. I dont think I have ever spent this much time detailing any car. I still have some knicks and scratches that I could not compound or polish out but even so, this cars 20 year old paint is practically perfect now.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Couple minor things done to the car this weekend:

Replaced Eibach Sportlines with Ford Racing B springs. Went from 2" drop to about 1", tired of scraping my X pipe on the ground and it also rides way better. Also hoping for more weight transfer to the rear for some more tracton

Replaced the tinted taillights with some Chinese factory-looking ones. Won't look like a high schooler anymore.

Replaced stock shifter with a Tri-ax knockoff. Should just be saving my money for a T56 swap but whatever.

Sold my Nitto NT-05R's (315/35-17), going to either run a 275/60-15 drag radial next year or a MT ET Street

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Hypothetically speaking, if you needed to buy a new general electronics module (GEM) for a new edge coupe, where would you go?