Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

PookBear posted:

I honestly think that even if the taliban had been beaten, the afghan government would have collapsed within 5-10 years under its own incompetence. At best it exists on paper but in reality only in the main cities with tribal rulers de facto governing elsewhere. Most likely it would have splintered into warlords though.

How did this work back in like, pre-80's? Like Kabul in particular I know was pretty progressive, were the rural areas controlled mostly by warlords/mujahideen back then or was that only once Russia went in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

How did this work back in like, pre-80's? Like Kabul in particular I know was pretty progressive, were the rural areas controlled mostly by warlords/mujahideen back then or was that only once Russia went in?

Probably along tribal lines and traditional elder rule. Although that may have changed post monarchy, but pre Soviet Invasion.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

https://twitter.com/otis_reid/status/1427392359671771141?s=20

lol, twitter is still free

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This is a hell of a ride

https://twitter.com/KELLYWEILL/status/1427298377117601792?s=20

quote:

On November 27, 2020, as then-president Donald Trump promoted election fraud hoaxes, one Twitter user appeared to share exclusive pictures from inside the rightwing Stop the Steal operation.

The user, @We_Have_Risen, tweeted pictures of what he implied were raw vote tallies photographed in Antrim County, Michigan, a key swing state at the center of the stolen election fantasy. Among other offerings, he included photos of a dissected Dominion voting machine (Republicans accused Dominion of helping rig the election, and the company is now suing pro-Trump outlets over these false claims). The conspiratorial captions were well received by his followers, some of whom had previously taken interest in the user’s communications with the administrator of a QAnon-connected message board.

@We_Have_Risen was in Michigan as an “expert witness” for an examination of Antrim County’s votes. But @We_Have_Risen is not an election expert. He’s Conan Hayes, a former professional surfer and co-founder of the popular clothing brand RVCA. And in multiple states, he’s appeared in person as a quiet but central figure in efforts to overturn the 2020 election in Donald Trump’s favor.

That behind-the-scenes work finally burst into the spotlight this week when Hayes was named onstage during MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell’s “symposium” on supposed election fraud.

Hayes did not return requests for comment for this story. Likewise, @We_Have_Risen did not return requests for comment but went private less than an hour after The Daily Beast first reached out in May. But court records, interviews with people connected to election lawsuits, and Hayes’s own social media confirm his intricate involvement with the movement.

[sic]

But Arizona and Antrim were not the end of Hayes’ alleged involvement in voter fraud conspiracy theories. On Wednesday night, his name was invoked in a “symposium” on voter fraud, by one of his former allies.

The symposium, hosted by MyPillow CEO Mike Lindell, was a disaster writ large, with one of Lindell’s own “cyber experts” admitting to the Washington Times that Lindell’s claims of voter fraud could not be proven. In a standout moment of confusion, Ron Watkins (who was teleconferencing into the event) interrupted himself while discussing a voting machine breach in Mesa County, Colorado.

“My lawyer just called me,” Watkins said. “He said I should put out this statement: I just learned that Conan James Hayes may have taken, without authorization, the actual hard drives from the Mesa County—or, the Mesa, Colorado County Clerk and he needs to produce those hard drives immediately and return them to the clerk, and we should stop this data review until he produces the hard drives.” (@We_Have_Risen, which had gone public again in June after going private when The Daily Beast reached out in May, went dark again after Watkins’ announcement.)

If Hayes had taken hard drives without permission, it would be cause for concern at the symposium. Mesa County, Colorado is the latest focal point for election truthers, after a pro-Trump county clerk allegedly leaked her county’s voting machine passwords to a conspiracy site, before heading to Lindell’s symposium. Colorado’s secretary of state accuses clerk Tina Peters of turning off video surveillance systems and allowing an unauthorized person to access voting machines in May. Peters did not return requests for comment. Investigators say the unauthorized person used the name “Gerald Wood,” although they are uncertain whether the name was a pseudonym. Metadata from the leaked voting machine information shows that it was accessed by a person who signed in with the username “cjh,” Twitter user @get_innocuous noted.

Later in the symposium, Peters refuted Watkins, stating that Hayes had not improperly accessed the machines.

Watkins, through his attorney Ty Clevenger, told The Daily Beast that Conan James Hayes of the alleged Mesa County breach was the same person as Conan James Hayes the surfer and RVCA founder.

Clevenger told The Daily Beast that Watkins’ team had spoken with Hayes on multiple occasions, but that they were now beginning to regard him with greater scrutiny after Hayes reportedly aligned himself with Dennis Montgomery, an infamous hoaxster who promoted voter fraud conspiracy theories. Clevenger said Hayes was expected to act as a conduit between Montgomery and other election truthers, but that Hayes came up empty-handed when asked to turn over certain data.

“My understanding is that Conan then said, ‘Dennis has had a stroke,’” Clevenger said. (Reached for comment at a number listed for Montgomery, a man answered the phone to that name, asked who was calling, and hung up upon learning that it was a reporter. He did not return renewed requests for comment.)

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

facialimpediment posted:

My internal thought is that the sadly inevitable doesn't become any less sad when it actually happens.

:same:

Also
https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1427369150461140994?s=19

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Goddamn, I used to have a poster of him in my room in high school

Guy was an incredible surfer, it’s a shame he went full chud.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
He's probably the kind of douche that would tell people to get off "his beach" when kids are just trying to wakeboard.

Androies
Oct 23, 2008

Ask me about my knives

I saw this floating around vet Instagram pages and all the comments are bro vets saying they have lovely form and can't lift like lmao alright man, didn't stop them from capturing the loving country.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Androies posted:

I saw this floating around vet Instagram pages and all the comments are bro vets saying they have lovely form and can't lift like lmao alright man, didn't stop them from capturing the loving country.

I would figure most people's first reaction would be "woah I bet most of them have never used 'real' exercise equipment before"

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Androies posted:

Tremendous "dems mocking the people they keep losing to" energy

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So since no one is going to recognize The Taliban as the legit government; is Afghanistan because just going to turn into air raids and drones on targets of opportunity?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1427377370273665027

This is exactly what happened last year.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So since no one is going to recognize The Taliban as the legit government; is Afghanistan because just going to turn into air raids and drones on targets of opportunity?

My guess is they go over and start destabilizing Pakistan

e:
https://twitter.com/Laurie_Davison/status/1420207846394892290?s=20

That Works fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 17, 2021

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

That Works posted:

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1427377370273665027

This is exactly what happened last year.

My guess is they go over and start destabilizing Pakistan

Tampa is one of the more blue areas, I’m curious how Pinellas county, right next door, nearly as densely populated, and more conservatives is doing.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Milo and POTUS posted:

Tremendous "dems mocking the people they keep losing to" energy

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Everyone is going to recognise the Taliban as the legit government because there isn't another one. Whatever there was evaporated after it realised it didn't actually exist, a bit like some character out of a fairy tale.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Biden literally used the term "Over-the-Horizon Counterterrorism" today in his speech. I'm sure the Raytheon execs are *still* sporting wood.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Biden literally used the term "Over-the-Horizon Counterterrorism" today in his speech.

So fly by night bullshit then

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

MazelTovCocktail posted:

https://twitter.com/ARYNEWSOFFICIAL/status/1427198489256153088

China likely wants a stable Afghanistan (they share a small border and China doesn't want refugees), plus access to newly-discovered minerals.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hexyflexy posted:

Everyone is going to recognise the Taliban as the legit government because there isn't another one. Whatever there was evaporated after it realised it didn't actually exist, a bit like some character out of a fairy tale.

Last I read UN was drafting a resolution basically saying no one would recognize them. I’m sure some General or needed “legal” figure can be found or created.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Biden literally used the term "Over-the-Horizon Counterterrorism" today in his speech. I'm sure the Raytheon execs are *still* sporting wood.

I figured as much, I just wonder how permissive the environment will be in terms of what can and can’t be touched (you know besides obvious things that, in theory, shouldn’t be touched, like a wedding.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Last I read UN was drafting a resolution basically saying no one would recognize them. I’m sure some General or needed “legal” figure can be found or created.

Why wouldn't Russia or China veto that?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
uhh I don't think we are going to be bombing Afghanistan willy nilly in the future. We are pulling out and don't have forces to support.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

China likely wants a stable Afghanistan (they share a small border and China doesn't want refugees), plus access to newly-discovered minerals.

Pakistan and Iran would probably appreciate the stability too.

Shade2142
Oct 10, 2012

Rollin'

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

It was always controlled by "warlords". Before the communist takeover and the subsequent soviet invasion, there was a King. It was a very feudal society but stable.

The only progressive parts of Kabul though were the upperclass.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

hobbesmaster posted:

Pakistan and Iran would probably appreciate the stability too.

Russia, too.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

facialimpediment posted:

I bet they would. I’m sure we can do things to make sure the Chinese have just a good time as we and the Russians, British, etc had. Also I think they’re terrified about anything that might inspire their own Muslims in Xinjiang.

piL posted:

Beats me, it wasn’t mentioned in the article.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is it really better to make policy decisions based on blood money from weapons manufacturers than it is to take blood money from heroin traffickers? The US is way less corrupt at the rank and file level, sure, but the sheer scale of US corruption is incomparable.
The narrower breadth of corruption really makes a giant difference, though, no matter the ludicrous depth of what exists. I've never had to bribe a functionary or service provider and I imagine most Americans can say the same. Sure, you could say that it's effectively priced into everything already, but it's still better than the chaos of rampant everyday corruption.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cugel the Clever posted:

The narrower breadth of corruption really makes a giant difference, though, no matter the ludicrous depth of what exists. I've never had to bribe a functionary or service provider and I imagine most Americans can say the same. Sure, you could say that it's effectively priced into everything already, but it's still better than the chaos of rampant everyday corruption.

Ironically only time I ever got asked for a bribe was Liberty International Airport. lol

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It's honestly depressing to see so many elements in both Europe and America agree to not give a drat about the lives of Afgans who had helped them for so long. The American treatment of the SIVs is terrible, but it's not like the rest of NATO is any better.

https://twitter.com/jahootsen/status/1427394519050473477?s=21
https://twitter.com/chrchristensen/status/1427400455576080388?s=21
https://twitter.com/BFMTV/status/1427333351250223104

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I bet they would. I’m sure we can do things to make sure the Chinese have just a good time as we and the Russians, British, etc had. Also I think they’re terrified about anything that might inspire their own Muslims in Xinjiang.

Hehe, why of course we will! That's just considered being polite amongst rival superpowers.
And it would be so rude of us to hog all the fun.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

facialimpediment posted:

How's that project for the new american century going you idiots lmao

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sentinel posted:

Hehe, why of course we will! That's just considered being polite amongst rival superpowers.
And it would be so rude of us to hog all the fun.

:gritin:

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
anyone here volunteer with refugee resettlement services? wondering about the work involved and degree of involvement people can have

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Suicide Watch posted:

anyone here volunteer with refugee resettlement services? wondering about the work involved and degree of involvement people can have

I do not but had this shared with me by a friend that works with a resettlement agency. Gonna do what I can.

https://twitter.com/maitelsadany/status/1427023521813868544?s=21

It's a tweet thread and covers Canada and some other cities as well.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

piL posted:

No veto on general assembly resolutions

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

I do not but had this shared with me by a friend that works with a resettlement agency. Gonna do what I can.

https://twitter.com/maitelsadany/status/1427023521813868544?s=21

It's a tweet thread and covers Canada and some other cities as well.

Apparently they’ve been inundated with people looking to volunteer so that’s basically the most :unsmith: thing about this whole fiasco.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

NZ is sending 40 soldiers to help get folk home

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

MazelTovCocktail posted:

I bet they would. I’m sure we can do things to make sure the Chinese have just a good time as we and the Russians, British, etc had.\

I bet we could, if the CIA weren't a bunch of overfunded incompetents.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Suicide Watch posted:

A buddy worked for a refugee resettlement agency for a while, he mentioned irritation how many right wingers are now calling for allowing more refugees when his building was getting windows broken and death threats (in Seattle!) from their supporters in 2016.

facialimpediment posted:

Does China take any refugees ever? Having a hard time imagining them letting anyone in if they didn’t want to and not worrying about international opinion. Plus even if someone got in it would be near impossible to work or live under the radar.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'd have thought China's whole industrial-level "re-education" of muslims thing would make this awkward, but :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Whatever, China will try to pay off anyone so they can get at those sweet, sweet mineral deposits, and they won't have any hang-ups if some conscripts get blown up. And who's going to care?