Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

God damnit I just figured out that there’s a proud boy rally scheduled for the day and approximate location I set my booster appointment up for, so now I have to cancel because there’s no way I’m walking around near that by myself in a respirator.

I’m pretty annoyed that the fascists macing people is standing in between me and my plague juice. It’s not that I care about moving an appointment, I have absolutely nothing going on anyway, but I am annoyed that these are the kinds of problems you can have now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

net work error posted:

Every now and then I remember when Trump got covid and what a good time we all had.

poo poo was so funny

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

WampaLord posted:

poo poo was so funny

I was drunk on the street shouting the news at every stranger I saw, and everyone was delighted

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Real Mean Queen posted:

I was drunk on the street shouting the news at every stranger I saw, and everyone was delighted

him standing there, struggling to inhale, giving the double thumbs up

just pure gold in terms of content

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
we're going to do this metro by metro this time aren't we

https://twitter.com/travisakers/status/1427377370273665027?s=19

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

fosborb posted:

yeah, we didn't do anything differently than last time and are shocked that it is resulting in the same disastrous chaos. it's great

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What are the goon approved supplies for KN95 and N95 masks?

Also, what's that leaked CDC slide in the OP mean? That Delta is transmissible to vaccinated people as regular COVID is to unvaccinated people?

I use a couple 3M models as my usual disposable masks, 9502+ and Aura 9205+.

The 9205 is a kn95 style mask with nice cloth covered elastic straps. https://www.magidglove.com/ used to sell them for $38 for 50, but they're out of stock now. Not sure where to get them now, sorry.

9205 Aura masks are kf94 style, and are pretty nice. There's a layer of foam along the nose to help make a tight seal, and the rest of the mask feels pretty good. Except the head straps, they're just basic rubber bands. Seems pretty weird for being a premium mask. I'm thinking about getting some cloth covered elastic straps and stapling them on to replace these rubber straps. These are easy to find in smaller packs for about $2/ea, or in huge cases for about $1/ea. Home depot has the 10 packs for $20 if you want to try them out.

Edit: Yes, being vaccinated reduces your chances of a bad outcome from getting covid. You can still absolutely catch and spread covid after being vaccinated. This has been known since the vaccine trials finished last year. The CDC has been lying to you.

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 17, 2021

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
https://twitter.com/business/status/1427455404074745856?s=20

Don't worry, it name-checks Australia too as a silly country living in denial.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

fosborb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po4adxJxqZk

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

surely my school district will be different

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Nothus posted:

I would rather live with the fear of getting killed by a virus than get killed by that virus, yes. That works for packs of wild dogs and airplanes landing on me and everything else, too.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lmao, every time

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
My ex-girlfriend decided she wanted to live in fear of herpes instead of living with herpes (and me)

Pardot
Jul 25, 2001

Nothus posted:

not going to click that , but how the gently caress do you have both paranoia and complacency?

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crepeface posted:

I assume that means the pneumonia vaccine too.

Boosters are only given to children after infancy if they have a specific medical condition, so I'm guessing by Age 15 his titers were super low

This study just came out a few weeks ago:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jocs.15888

quote:

Outcomes of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in influenza versus COVID-19 during the first wave of COVID-19

First published: 09 August 2021

Purpose

Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) is a refractory treatment for acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) due to influenza and severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2, also referred to as coronavirus disease 2019 [COVID-19]). We conducted this study to compare the outcomes of influenza patients treated with veno-venous-ECMO (VV-ECMO) to COVID-19 patients treated with VV-ECMO, during the first wave of COVID-19.

Results

A total of 28 COVID-19 patients and 17 influenza patients were identified and included. ECMO survival rates were 68% (19/28) in COVID-19 patients and 94% (16/17) in influenza patients (p = .04). Thirty days survival rates after ECMO decannulation were 54% (15/28) in COVID-19 patients and 76% (13/17) in influenza patients (p = .13). COVID-19 patients spent a longer time on ECMO compared to flu patients (21 vs. 12 days; p = .025), and more COVID-19 patients (26/28 vs. 2/17) were on immunomodulatory therapy before ECMO initiation (p < .001). COVID-19 patients had higher rates of new infections during ECMO (50% vs. 18%; p = .03) and bacterial pneumonia (36% vs. 6%; p = .024).

Conclusions

COVID-19 patients who were treated in our institution with VV-ECMO had statistically lower ECMO survival rates than influenza patients. It is possible that COVID-19 immunomodulation therapies may increase the risk of other superimposed infections.

36% of all COVID patients having bacterial pneumonia is high as gently caress - and it sounds like the oxygen therapy just makes them more likely to get it in a hospital setting

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

Nothus posted:

Thread banned from the new thread is some dedication

I just assumed it carries over but if not, imagine the content!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pardot posted:

not going to click that , but how the gently caress do you have both paranoia and complacency?

the article is mostly bitching about how some lady from America had to spend THREE WHOLE WEEKS in quarantine :ohdear:

how can Hong Kong possibly carry on like this

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

In Training posted:

NY ended its daily COVID newsletter today that sent case rates and hospitalization to my email inbox. it's probably just bc the person who ran it is leaving along with our rapist governor but still funny to see them announce the highest positive case rate since winter and say Goodbye.

"Oh gosh. You know, I'm not much on speeches, but it's so gratifying to...leave you wallowing in the mess you've made. You're screwed, thank you, bye." - Andrew 'Sex Pest' Cuomo

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

mdemone posted:

I'm tired of being Covid Cassandra but I'd also like to keep my kids alive, ya know?

you're such a Debbie Doomer

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

mastershakeman posted:

I'm gonna admit half the reason I posted this is to antagonize people. This isnt Melbourne, covid zero isn't happening. Frankly if vaccines were online for kids I might have played it safe but I'm dispirited about the "mid Winter" expectations for it

Ha! Well it worked. Surreal tho. You have all the same info I do, unlike the typical lib or chud.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/cliffordlevy/status/1427458019663794176?s=20

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Pardot posted:

quote:

It’s true that some cases have been reported after quarantine, but that doesn't change the fact that infection rates in the broader community have remained exceedingly low. The government has failed to adapt its policy to return closer to normalcy, and hasn't communicated any comprehensive or transparent plans that lay out the pros and cons of its interventions. This approach skews perceptions and provides the wrong incentives. As a result, people have avoided getting vaccinated and shrug off social responsibility, while the burden of protecting the unvaccinated is borne by the individuals who are masking, testing and getting shots.

the strong border enforcement is too strong because there aren't any new cases, so they should make it weaker so that there are some cases. also the people in the country living normally are bad and complacent because what if there was an outbreak!?? in this thesis i will talk about why i'm mad that i have to quarantine for 21 days before getting to do a rich person vacation in hong kong.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

endless lmaos

time to ban the biden administration

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

LOL it was easier than convincing the antivaxxers to get the juice

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Fake names no longer needed on our vax cards

instead Max Titers will be in our hearts

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Love that this critical info is pay-walled while posts on Facebook about treating COVID with horse de-worming medicine are free and plentiful.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
how many weeks until we have more hospitals that are overwhelmed than hospitals that are not nationwide?

Isizzlehorn
Feb 25, 2010

:lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick::lesnick:

Eat poo poo D&D

Lmaoooooooooo

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
New cases here are already worse than same time last year but they are just watching other schools and children get wrecked and ignoring it, gently caress lol

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Pardot posted:

If you're paranoid enough that a lockdown is successful, people get complacent and won't get the vaccine.

But you can't stay shut-off from the world forever, and covid is going to be endemic, so you're just destroying your economy for nothing.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

I did the joker laugh really loud in real life

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
what sort of brain worms are writhing around inside the minds of all these unbelievably stupid people who see a working solution and immediately think "that is working too well, we need to make it worse for some inexplicable reason." it's like value engineering but for a loving pandemic.

completely putting out the fire is very wasteful, lets just put out like 90% of the fire and then save the rest of the water for other fires (or maybe we can sell it). oh no the house is on fire again!? well then this is all impossible, everything is impossible

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

McNugget Buddy posted:

Boosters are only given to children after infancy if they have a specific medical condition, so I'm guessing by Age 15 his titers were super low

This study just came out a few weeks ago:

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jocs.15888

36% of all COVID patients having bacterial pneumonia is high as gently caress - and it sounds like the oxygen therapy just makes them more likely to get it in a hospital setting

anyone going on ECMO is hosed

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

new zealand has fallen!!!

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/TB_Times/status/1427459840301993985?s=20

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Nothus posted:

lmao, the complacency of having a functional medical system

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

ABC News alert. Apparently Gladys said it at the press conference. They're only going to publish the "high risk" exposure sites despite saying earlier that briefly walking past a positive case is enough to catch it.

incredible

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-08-17/nsw-records-452-new-covid-cases-one-death/100382358

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

There it is.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Nothus posted:

If you're paranoid enough that a lockdown is successful, people get complacent and won't get the vaccine.

But you can't stay shut-off from the world forever, and covid is going to be endemic, so you're just destroying your economy for nothing.

it's some rich privileged rear end in a top hat literally banging on their doors screaming "you can't stay shut-off forever!!! you'll regret this!!!" while everyone inside is having a party and everyone outside is dying of the plague

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

*Pounds table* DEATH! DEATH! DEATH!