Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I tried Morrowloot Ultimate out and I saw 3 Bandit Thugs in the mine next to Riverwood, An Ascendant Necromancer in the pass next to Riverwood, a Draugr Wight Lord in the Barrow, and there was an ebony helmet just sitting in the Whiterun jail for no reason. This mod is trash imao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

ThaumPenguin posted:

When I first left character creation in QWEST, I found myself at the border crossing to Cyrodiil, north of Helgen. It's the middle of the night, I am in the snowy highlands. Above me the northern lights dance among the stars. There is loud and upbeat banjo music. There is loud and upbeat banjo music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKizp0pDFtA

I always wondered what the tune at the end of MXR's videoes was. Thanks for sharing, sucks that you can't remove it easily because that's definitely not one I'd put in my game either.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

There is loud and upbeat banjo music. :argh:

How does removing a music mod break the mod list? Are songs tied to specific areas I guess, so when you remove the mod it gives you a bunch of missing master errors?

If that is the case, you'd have to use Wyrebash to create a temporary dummy master and SSEEdit to patch the records out of whichever patch is giving you the error. Just follow the steps in this video: https://youtu.be/DyxDZT49CfM

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

That music might work for when you mount up a horse or as an alternative to lute music in taverns, but not just for walking about.

Dreamsicle
Oct 16, 2013

Would you be able to use MO2 to hide the music files you don't want?

Thanks for the QWEST review as well. I was deciding between that, Elysium, Serenity and Living Skyrim after my Keizaal playthrough. What is the best out of the four? I'm favoring Serenity and Elysium personally.

Dreamsicle fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Aug 15, 2021

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The Gadfly posted:

How does removing a music mod break the mod list? Are songs tied to specific areas I guess, so when you remove the mod it gives you a bunch of missing master errors?

If that is the case, you'd have to use Wyrebash to create a temporary dummy master and SSEEdit to patch the records out of whichever patch is giving you the error. Just follow the steps in this video: https://youtu.be/DyxDZT49CfM

Primarily it's because there's some sort of custom patch that makes the five or so music mods work together. I also know that the question of "how do I remove windswept" has come up on the Wabbajack Discord more than once, and the response has been "it breaks things" and "there's no support for modified modlists".

I think the only real solution would be to make a mod that completely overwrites all the songs in the Vindsvept mod, by having tracks with identical filenames to the Vindsvept mod, except these new tracks would be taken from the base game soundtrack and songs from the good music mods. This would involve like 40 songs at the very least, so it'd be kind of a huge pain, but it should work. That way you're technically not "removing" anything in the eyes of the game.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Dreamsicle posted:

Would you be able to use MO2 to hide the music files you don't want?

Thanks for the QWEST review as well. I was deciding between that, Elysium, Serenity and Living Skyrim after my Keizaal playthrough. What is the best out of the four? I'm favoring Serenity and Elysium personally.

I enjoyed my playthrough of Elysium last year, but my PC could only barely run it. Since then it's apparently become even more performance-intensive. It's very much aimed at newish and powerful rigs.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ThaumPenguin posted:

I've been trying out QWEST for the last few days and I'm not quite sure what to think of it. I like that it values performance over visuals, and I love that it puts quests and LOTD as the focus, but there sure are some annoyances. My biggest complaint has to be the audio; most of the music mods are wonderful and fit into the soundtrack so naturally that I genuinely didn't realize they were new. What all of those ones have in common is that they were either specifically made for Skyrim, or were taken directly from Jeremy Soule's Northerner Diaries.

And then there's the other one. This mod implements a ton of tunes from an artist called Vindsvept. Now don't get me wrong, this is good fantasy music, and would make for decent background noise for a DnD session. But when compared to the rest of the soundtrack, they all stand out like boils. Skyrim's normal soundtrack is serene and contemplative, it's calm. It's purpose is to ease you into the experience, without taking center stage.

When I first left character creation in QWEST, I found myself at the border crossing to Cyrodiil, north of Helgen. It's the middle of the night, I am in the snowy highlands. Above me the northern lights dance among the stars. There is loud and upbeat banjo music. There is loud and upbeat banjo music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKizp0pDFtA

You cannot remove the Vindsvept mod without causing the modpack to break down. It is too deeply integrated.

I'm genuinely not sure I can do a playthrough of Skyrim with such an active and attention-grabbing soundtrack, it just keeps pulling me out of the experience, and so far in my test runs it seems to make up a majority of the modded soundtrack.

My personalized music mod had Rammstein and Alice in Chains lol

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Dumb question but, is it possible to add another music mod that just overwrites the one you don't like?

Like I use the one that replaces all the music with zelda poo poo

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

My personalized music mod had Rammstein and Alice in Chains lol

Yeah, but that's voluntary and you (obviously) knew it'd be there! It's the difference between putting on your favorite podcast while you're exploring some ruin, and coming across a ruin whose soundtrack is an episode of some random podcast.

Anyway I'll be giving the Living Skyrim 3 modlist a go, it seems pretty good and it doesn't have that drat music mod. It also has "Achieve That!", which is a minor but nice mod that I haven't heard from in like five years, glad to see it back.

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Dumb question but, is it possible to add another music mod that just overwrites the one you don't like?

Like I use the one that replaces all the music with zelda poo poo

Yes, but it'd likely have to be a custom one, as the Vindsvept music one adds new songs to the rotation rather than simply replacing the old music, so you'd have to specifically set up a new music mod to overwrite V's music files.

Thankfully I've picked a better option, which is to throw the QWEST! modlist into the bin forever.

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 15, 2021

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I've been doing a playthrough with Living Skyrim and I like it quite a bit. Music related they have added a few songs that aren't original to Skyrim but they don't seem bad at all. They have also added a few Witcher 3 songs and it honestly compliments Skyrim so well. I do adore the music from that game though.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ThaumPenguin posted:

Yeah, but that's voluntary and you (obviously) knew it'd be there! It's the difference between putting on your favorite podcast while you're exploring some ruin, and coming across a ruin whose soundtrack is an episode of some random podcast.

I understand your complaint, but now you've given me this idea and it sounds kind of rad. A game where podcasts are broadcast on short range radio in the gameworld, or blared from loudspeakers. Have the game set up to stream actual podcasts from some curated list for each ingame location.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Also Living Skyrim just added a mod called True Directional Movement which is pretty badass. Makes playing in third person actually kind of fun. It also has a lock on.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/51614

edit: looking now I guess most of the lists do

Wiltsghost fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Aug 16, 2021

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I'm interested in trying skyrim again at some point and wabbajack has me interested, got a question, how easy is it to make your own functional mod lists or to use the mod lists as a base to build your own giant collection of mods out of? wabbajack I assume focuses on improving the bethesda game cycle of downloading/patching/testing/crashing/testing/missing texture/testing/getting it working/adding more mods/crashing and get you to the game faster.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I'm interested in trying skyrim again at some point and wabbajack has me interested, got a question, how easy is it to make your own functional mod lists or to use the mod lists as a base to build your own giant collection of mods out of? wabbajack I assume focuses on improving the bethesda game cycle of downloading/patching/testing/crashing/testing/missing texture/testing/getting it working/adding more mods/crashing and get you to the game faster.

Wabbajack is just a tool for automating the delievery of a pre-built mod setup. It doesn't do anything with the game on it's own or help you build your own modded setup. The modpacks made for it, especially on the Skyrim side, are generally fully custom built to work together with custom patches, lods/bodyslides generated, MCMs already or partially configured, etc... There is one modpack made up of a lot of the standard tools and basic library mods that you can use to build your own modpack but Wabbajack is all about packaging up your already made setup, not making it easier to put together.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Using them as a base for your own mods is tough because typically they come with a lot of custom patches and compatibility stuff. You also absolutely need Nexus Premium for Wabbajack. Technically you can manually download stuff, but it's miserable and list authors will not support it.

If you wanted to do it anyway, I've been playing Keizaal and it's the cleanest and easiest list I've tried so far. It's got a ton of mods but is still minimalistic in some ways (there's no loot overhauls or artifact overhauls etc) so there's room to throw your own mods in. It also runs on SimonRim mods which are very vanilla+ (The Phoenix Flavor list also runs on SimonRim.)

If you prefer Enai's stuff there's more options like Elysium (for really high end systems), QWEST (more content focused with not much graphics stuff), Living Skyrim (kitchen sink), Librum (I'm not sure, it looked like miserable heavy realism stuff?).

Serenity 2 is the requisite Requiem modlist. Tinvaak is some unholy abomination using SkyRE focused on roleplaying. And Relics of Hyrule for crazy stuff.

I think there are a few other modlists that were temporarily offline while Nexus drama played out that might be coming back soon.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
I tried Elysium and Keizaal last week and I probably would prefer the more vanilla gameplay of Keizaal but Elysium is so much better visually that I stuck with that.

Elysium really looks amazing, but the fans on my 3080 go crazy and it dips below 60fps in some outside areas. I didn't do any tweaking though.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

ThaumPenguin posted:

Primarily it's because there's some sort of custom patch that makes the five or so music mods work together. I also know that the question of "how do I remove windswept" has come up on the Wabbajack Discord more than once, and the response has been "it breaks things" and "there's no support for modified modlists".

I think the only real solution would be to make a mod that completely overwrites all the songs in the Vindsvept mod, by having tracks with identical filenames to the Vindsvept mod, except these new tracks would be taken from the base game soundtrack and songs from the good music mods. This would involve like 40 songs at the very least, so it'd be kind of a huge pain, but it should work. That way you're technically not "removing" anything in the eyes of the game.

Yes, that would work too. The way I suggested should also possible if you edit said music patch.

Anyway, this is why I'm not a huge fan of mod lists. They make modding less modular, and more "play my version of the game, and if you don't like a specific mod I'm using then gtfo". They do help less experienced users, or people without much time, just play the game with tons of mods that they wouldn't normally be able to get working perfectly together otherwise.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

usually i spend hours and hours modding and then getting burned out and not playing the game properly. mod lists solve that even if they dont quite do what i want

AgentHaiTo
Feb 7, 2003

Well, isn't this a coincidence? So, um, how you doing? You're busy, I know and I don't want to distract you, please, don't let me interrupt you.
So I got back into Skyrim last month trying out Wabbajack and QWEST, and ended up dumping QWEST recently, and restarting with just this really bare bones pack:

SKYRIM MODDING ESSENTIALS (FIXES & TOOLS) https://www.wabbajack.org/#/modlists/info?machineURL=smeft

My biggest complaint with QWEST is it disabled any controller support, and even following instructions for re-enabling it, I could never get my old Xbox controller to work. Also, something he did made Whiterun run horribly for me, and any tweaking I did kept breaking things because a lot of things are customized. I also was annoyed at the music, but I just turned down music volume when I first heard the non-Skyrim music.

So I got the that essentials modpack, and then I just add stuff I want to it, like SPERG. It's a nice compromise, since that pack has everything you need as a base to just add your own stuff afterwards. I just added that mod someone mentioned above Total Directional Movement, and it really added a lot to combat now.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I just installed Living Skyrim and oh man this has to be the sexiest Mod Organizer theme I've ever seen

A vampire designed this

e: the orange outline is there because I never got around to changing my system theme away from "pumpkin season" and I kinda just forgot it was there

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Aug 16, 2021

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

quote is not edit

e: may as well fill this accidental post with something, here's a neat video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvC2Z_cN8Kk

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 16, 2021

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

The Gadfly posted:

Yes, that would work too. The way I suggested should also possible if you edit said music patch.

Anyway, this is why I'm not a huge fan of mod lists. They make modding less modular, and more "play my version of the game, and if you don't like a specific mod I'm using then gtfo". They do help less experienced users, or people without much time, just play the game with tons of mods that they wouldn't normally be able to get working perfectly together otherwise.

The amount of work and effort needed to walk people through editing out a mod is insane, and that's for people that are legitimately curious and willing to learn. All for a hobby and passion project for fun. Describing the act of expecting otherwise and not getting it as "then gtfo" is extremely disingenuous. You make a modpack and get inundated with messages every day asking for changes for weeks on end while maintaining it with all the work that goes into it if you think it's so easy.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

nessin posted:

The amount of work and effort needed to walk people through editing out a mod is insane, and that's for people that are legitimately curious and willing to learn. All for a hobby and passion project for fun. Describing the act of expecting otherwise and not getting it as "then gtfo" is extremely disingenuous. You make a modpack and get inundated with messages every day asking for changes for weeks on end while maintaining it with all the work that goes into it if you think it's so easy.

Deviating from a mod list is heavily discouraged by anyone trying to support people in using said mod list. Saying something like, "You deviated from the mod list. We're not going to help you," is basically like saying gtfo. These are just facts, not me being disingenuous :shrug:

I'm not saying that it's on the person making the mod list to support this. I understand that it's not practical to support issues that aren't specific to a mod list. It's up to the user to figure that out. It's not insane amount of work to link someone to a video that explains how to edit a patch though.

I'm just saying that modding for the average user is now less about tailoring the experience to your tastes, but instead more about choosing one of several tailored experiences packed into a modlist that is most similar to your taste.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of mod lists.

Artifacts of Skyrim posted:

I DO NOT GIVE PERMISSION TO USE MY MODS IN ANY COLLECTIONS. I wouldn't care (and, in fact, would be happy to see such a system) if I was left in control of my work, but the nexus has made other arrangements. If I see that any one of my mods has been used in a collection I will cease updating or releasing any mods on this platform. Please respect my wishes in this matter. Until such a time as the nexus revokes their recent anti-modder policies my mods are off limits for collections.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Midnight Voyager posted:

Speaking of mod lists.

And what a crushing loss that would be :rolleyes:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Midnight Voyager posted:

Speaking of mod lists.

If I see a single person making it easier to use my mod so help me I’ll throw the biggest hissy fit

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Midnight Voyager posted:

Speaking of mod lists.

Imagine having a conversation in real life with this person lmao

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

The Gadfly posted:

Deviating from a mod list is heavily discouraged by anyone trying to support people in using said mod list. Saying something like, "You deviated from the mod list. We're not going to help you," is basically like saying gtfo. These are just facts, not me being disingenuous :shrug:

think about this though - now you're deciding on someone else's behalf "it's not an insane amount of work" for a modlist creator to understand and be able to discuss custom editing of their list to the extent they can find a video (which may not exist) to provide foolproof instructions for editing literally anything on their list exactly to someone else's personal taste.

you're putting a very uncharitable spin on a mod list creator choosing not to be the font of all wisdom on everything even tangentially related to their list, that's not really 'just facts' so much as it is 'your interpretation' so....you're being kinda disingenuous.

in a perfect world would people understand all this and take personal responsibility if they choose to go off list? yeah but we don't live in that one.

e: put shortly, mod list authors should be responsible for their lists, so if something's broken it's on them, but if you want to go off list, you should be responsible for that. would it be nice if people cooperated without blame? Yes! Is it plausible? lmao not in the TES fandom

Midnight Voyager posted:

Speaking of mod lists.

so it's already in like 5 collections right?

Psion fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 17, 2021

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

Psion posted:

think about this though - now you're deciding on someone else's behalf "it's not an insane amount of work" for a modlist creator to understand and be able to discuss custom editing of their list to the extent they can find a video (which may not exist) to provide foolproof instructions for editing literally anything on their list exactly to someone else's personal taste.

you're putting a very uncharitable spin on a mod list creator choosing not to be the font of all wisdom on everything even tangentially related to their list, that's not really 'just facts' so much as it is 'your interpretation' so....you're being kinda disingenuous.

I never even suggested that they need to provide "foolproof instructions" for deviating from their mod list. The video I linked is just general instructions for removing dependencies, not specific instructions for removing a specific mod from a specific patch. So, I think you're putting a "very uncharitable spin" on my stance, which is ironic, because that's what you claim I'm doing.

Mod list authors do have the knowledge and understanding necessary to add and remove mods. If they didn't, then they wouldn't be able to create and edit their own mod list(s). I've been able to create patches and edit patches to remove dependencies just from reading and watching general videos on the subject. It's actually not that difficult, but can be tedious if it's a heavily ingrained mod that touches lots of records.

Anyway, that's beside the point. I already said that it's up to the user if they want to customize a mod list. I'm not disagreeing with you there. It's understandable why mod list authors are discouraging people from customizing their mod lists. It makes it much simpler for them to provide support. I just don't really like the direction that mod lists are pushing the community, both in how they actively discourage users from deviating from mod lists, and by pushing users towards a few options for tailored experiences rather than creating their own.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ThaumPenguin posted:

quote is not edit

Also gently caress focusing on lovely dumb mod author tantrums, give this dude some more love ^^^^ I love his voice, it's almost supernaturally smooth. He needs to record some Barry White song covers already.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

ThaumPenguin posted:

quote is not edit

That is some real impressive editing and voicework.

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

Are there any must-have type mods for playing the base game at this point? Firing up the special edition for the first time, and i don't need anything too crazy just yet. Really just want to improve the base experience as much as possible without overhauling everything

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Jeremor posted:

Are there any must-have type mods for playing the base game at this point? Firing up the special edition for the first time, and i don't need anything too crazy just yet. Really just want to improve the base experience as much as possible without overhauling everything

For basic stuff? Probably a bunch of mods from the Most Downloaded page on Nexus. Static Mesh Improvement Mod, the Unofficial Patch, Relationship Dialog Overhaul, A Quality World Map, Realistic Water Two, SSE Engine Fixes, Sky UI, and Race Menu.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Honestly, at this point in the game's life, I would go as far as to say that downloading Wabbajack and using one of its "base game+" modlists is probably the best way to go. It seems intimidating at first, but it's automated to the point of being almost braindead and it's probably less complex and almost certainly more reliable than trying to research what a bunch of the most popular and must-play mods are and then making them work together on your own. (to say nothing about trying to replicate the entire scope of the modlist by yourself.)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The part of the OP about "modpacks? never" is looking silly enough that I'd like to update it. Anyone want to do a post about Wabbajack that I can add?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

GunnerJ posted:

The part of the OP about "modpacks? never" is looking silly enough that I'd like to update it. Anyone want to do a post about Wabbajack that I can add?

"modpacks? they're more likely than you think"

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

I just watched this video last night about Phoenix Flavour. It supposed to be vanilla plus. Probably pretty good for a playthrough if you don't want too much added but want an updated experience. Still has 600 mods lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXrOP5wCaUQ

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Wiltsghost posted:

if you don't want too much added

Still has 600 mods

these two things are in no way compatible

I took a quick look at the docs though and it's got a whole lot of texture packs which bump up the count and it's not 600 dumb gameplay tweaks but also 600 mods is still 600 mods :v:

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Psion posted:

these two things are in no way compatible

I took a quick look at the docs though and it's got a whole lot of texture packs which bump up the count and it's not 600 dumb gameplay tweaks but also 600 mods is still 600 mods :v:

Lol, yeah. All the wabbajack Skyrim lists are pretty huge.