Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Some droids are people, some droids just have fancy fronts to seem like people and are as deep as a puddle. I think the implication is most droids don't have the processing power to really have some kind of human level intelligence, and the ones that do develop personalities and intelligence beyond their normal programming are often the result of poor maintenance or some kind of happenstance where they go wildly out of the boundaries that they were made for.

Most of the franchise has no interest in exploring any of this, which I think is fine. There's already enough science fiction out there about AIs becoming people and a lot of it never considers that maybe sometimes a machine that talks can still be a machine. I would like to see a battle droid that somehow deserted and ends up living its own life. That could be fun.

And in a similar vein, Crosshair deciding to not go free sure does seem like it's totally in-keeping with how his role in the Bad Batch was the one that has the least application outside a battlefield. He's the one who can't veer too far from his one main skill and his training. From a narrative perspective, he has less to add to missions and episodes unless he develops some further skills and insight, which would be probable if he kept on with the empire and chose to defect later. I don't think his career with the empire will go very well after this though. Assuming he's even found.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

tribbledirigible posted:

Show of hands; was it The Brave Little Toaster that started you down this path?

:wave:

The opposite as I couldn't bear to think of all those cars dying horribly believing they were worthless

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

SlothfulCobra posted:

I would like to see a battle droid that somehow deserted and ends up living its own life. That could be fun.
Lego has you covered yet again. Watch the Freemaker Adventures.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And in the end the mountain base was indeed Mt. Tantiss on Weyland

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I wonder if Fallen Order 2 will involve storming and destroying Mount Tantiss to halt whatever cloning experiments Palps is cooking up there, which forces him to relocate to Exegol

One step closer to Mara Jade, too

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

And in the end the mountain base was indeed Mt. Tantiss on Weyland

Where is this image from?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Where is this image from?

The episode guide, it releases every Monday after the show airs:

https://www.starwars.com/series/the-bad-batch/kamino-lost-episode-guide

edit: also interesting is the "Royal Guard" clone commando with the same grey patterning that the Emperor's shuttle in ROTJ has

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Cross-Section posted:

The episode guide, it releases every Monday after the show airs:

https://www.starwars.com/series/the-bad-batch/kamino-lost-episode-guide

...holy poo poo. Are we in a long build up to re-canonizing the Thrawn trilogy as an animated show? Or possibly reworking it into the Ahsoka show some how?

I mean...holy poo poo.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

thrawn527 posted:

...holy poo poo. Are we in a long build up to re-canonizing the Thrawn trilogy as an animated show? Or possibly reworking it into the Ahsoka show some how?

I mean...holy poo poo.

Stop it I cannot get any harder.

(Side note: I actually really like the Thrawn books set in the Chiss Ascendancy well before he met the Empire, but it does portray him way too heroically, instead of well, a villain.)

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

thrawn527 posted:

I mean...holy poo poo.

I can see her picking up the Mara Jade plot elements; other than the Luke-Mara romance.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are we supposed to know who that doctor was at the end of the last episode?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I don't think so. The concept art just refers to her as a medical technician. She's wearing the same uniform as the imperial doctor from The Mandalorian however.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I mean...holy poo poo.

Ehh I’d be surprised if they did either of those things. Weyland will assuredly show up next season but I’d bet that “re-canonized Thrawn trilogy” will always remain a bit of a pipe dream.

But yeah I second bunnyofdoom’s Ascendancy rec, I’m really enjoying those books so far. They feel distinct from the rest of SW in the same way the old Brian Daley books set in the Corporate Sector did.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I’m fairly sure I read somewhere that the Star Wars universe was being set up like the MCU was to fight against Thrawn and the remnants of the Empire. Or if not that specific it was being built up in that regard but I definitely believe they’re bringing back that trilogy. Ahsoka, Mando and maybe even live action Dad Batch along with Sabine and Ezra banding together to fight the big bad evil Thrawn. :swoon:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

I mean...holy poo poo.

Why must you give me hope and dreams?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

I mean...holy poo poo.

Count down to Disney reintroducing the Yuuzhan Vong.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Yes, for a Thrawn Trilogy redo. Handling the OT heroes in a CG cartoon with Hamill and some sound alikes seems like a decent way to go. Then can have the D+ live action shows do a lot of the side content.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

fartknocker posted:

Why must you give me hope and dreams?

Have you seen my username and avatar? I’ve been waiting to be disappointed by this for decades.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

thrawn527 posted:

Have you seen my username and avatar? I’ve been waiting to be disappointed by this for decades.

:hmmyes: My username almost everywhere else is a vague Rogue Squadron reference, so I get it.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I thought this entire time your name was a reference to EU Jedi Master F'artkn O'cker.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Teek posted:

Yes, for a Thrawn Trilogy redo. Handling the OT heroes in a CG cartoon with Hamill and some sound alikes seems like a decent way to go. Then can have the D+ live action shows do a lot of the side content.

It’ll be live action, no way it won’t be. I can see them doing an actual movie trilogy out of it and fans have been harassing Disney for years about a live action Thrawn and I’m sure they’ll cave to it. As for Luke fans have also been harassing them about having Sebastian Stan play Luke and I actually don’t hate the idea.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

thrawn527 posted:

People keep talking about how they finally know what my username means with Dune coming out soon.

And yes please, Thrawn Trilogy for a new era yes please.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/NumidianPrime/status/1427405998239715329?s=20

gently caress yeah gimme my Kuiil cameo, BB S2

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
I’m glad I’m not the only point at the screen during the finale and said, “that’s Mount Tantis”. Filoni has be slowly bring back elements of old school EU since Rebels. In one of the first episodes, the phrase “Base Delta Zero” was mentioned in a news broadcast and I blurted “one of the writers has the WEG RPG sourcebooks!”

Was bringing the Witches of Dathomir back also a Filoni thing? Surely Filoni would have brought back symbolic phallus wrestling, too.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Marsupial Ape posted:

I’m glad I’m not the only point at the screen during the finale and said, “that’s Mount Tantis”. Filoni has be slowly bring back elements of old school EU since Rebels. In one of the first episodes, the phrase “Base Delta Zero” was mentioned in a news broadcast and I blurted “one of the writers has the WEG RPG sourcebooks!”

Was bringing the Witches of Dathomir back also a Filoni thing? Surely Filoni would have brought back symbolic phallus wrestling, too.

They've been incorporating elements of the EU into the main canon since Clone Wars. Back then it was mostly Filoni & others running it by George and getting the nod from him. All of those got rolled into the Disney canon, and from what I understand Filoni and the other writers have continued that trend ever since. I think now instead of George there's a committee or group of people who have final say about what can/can't be made Disney canon.

Oh, and Filoni definitely has the WEG sourcebooks, he was gifted them by Sam Witwer.

jassa fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Aug 17, 2021

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

jassa posted:

They've been incorporating elements of the EU into the main canon since Clone Wars. Back then it was mostly Filoni & others running it by George and getting the nod from him. All of those got rolled into the Disney canon, and from what I understand Filoni and the other writers have continued that trend ever since. I think now instead of George there's a committee or group of people who have final say about what can/can't be made Disney canon.

Oh, and Filoni definitely has the WEG sourcebooks, he was gifted them by Sam Witwer.

For those of you who aren't TurboNerds: the WEG Star Wars RPG from the 80s is pretty much the genesis of the EU. West End Games got the license, but had absolutely no 'lore bible' from except from what was on screen and the few books that had been written at that point. George didn't name all the alien species we see in the background. He didn't give a gently caress. So, WEG had to make up species names like Twi'lek and Trandoshan and then give them cultural attributes so that they could be used as player characters. Hell, crap like 'pedwalk' and 'duracrete' comes from WEG. When Timonthy Zahn was contracted to write his trilogy he asked for a lore bible (so he could get down to plot and not have to do all the heavy lifting of world building) and the Lucas Arts team just shrugged him and gave him a stack of WEG sourcebooks. After the Trilogy was a big hit, WEG made source books for that with input from Zahn...and thus the golden age of EU circlejerking was born.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Barnes and Noble had an interesting series on the Star Wars EU which talks a lot about how influential the WEG stuff was.

Along with Zahn several other early EU authors were given WEG books as reference materials and one of the RPG writers (Troy Denning) ended up being one of the main EU authors.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The Ugor in Solo was quite the deep cut WEG reference that almost nobody noticed.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Marsupial Ape posted:

For those of you who aren't TurboNerds: the WEG Star Wars RPG from the 80s is pretty much the genesis of the EU. West End Games got the license, but had absolutely no 'lore bible' from except from what was on screen and the few books that had been written at that point. George didn't name all the alien species we see in the background. He didn't give a gently caress. So, WEG had to make up species names like Twi'lek and Trandoshan and then give them cultural attributes so that they could be used as player characters. Hell, crap like 'pedwalk' and 'duracrete' comes from WEG. When Timonthy Zahn was contracted to write his trilogy he asked for a lore bible (so he could get down to plot and not have to do all the heavy lifting of world building) and the Lucas Arts team just shrugged him and gave him a stack of WEG sourcebooks. After the Trilogy was a big hit, WEG made source books for that with input from Zahn...and thus the golden age of EU circlejerking was born.

I thought I was a turbo nerd but I am cursed by my age. I missed out on this being born in the 90’s. :(

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020

Anita Dickinme posted:

I thought I was a turbo nerd but I am cursed by my age. I missed out on this being born in the 90’s. :(

Most of the books can be found online in one form
or another. WEG even did a release of the 1st Edition, recently. They are really interesting view into that weird and wacky time between the OT and PT when fans were hungry for content and pretty much anything could be ‘canon’ as long as Lucas Arts didn’t say no. It was a very special time in Star Wars fandom.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lle0NNmvIyU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtAsl-0o3O0

:swoon:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

"Itano Circus astromech" is real and he is my friend.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Okay, I'm a big enough person to admit I was wrong about this.

Star Wars plus anime, in Japanese, loving rocks.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

gently caress that looks so good, I can't wait!
22nd September? I guessing What If? finishes the week before or something. Doubt Disney wants them overlapping.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I’m super excited for this. Of course, some shorts look better than others, but they all look neat! Most excited for the Studio Trigger short, black and white short and the Boba Fett short. I hope if these prove popular, we can get a full series in one of these styles.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Veotax posted:

gently caress that looks so good, I can't wait!
22nd September? I guessing What If? finishes the week before or something. Doubt Disney wants them overlapping.

Exactly right. What If is six episodes as I understand it, which would put episode six on September 15th. Nope, it's nine episodes, I had that wrong.

I'm amused that someone went through the old sourcebooks and found the Kushiban (little rabbit people) and said yeah, let's make that a Jedi Samurai. I'm down for it.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Aug 17, 2021

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
What If? is 9 I think.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

jng2058 posted:

Exactly right. What If is six episodes as I understand it, which would put episode six on September 15th.

I'm amused that someone went through the old sourcebooks and found the Kushiban (little rabbit people) and said yeah, let's make that a Jedi Samurai. I'm down for it.
Could be a reference to Usagi Yojimbo

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Doctor Spaceman posted:

What If? is 9 I think.

I looked it up, and you're right, it is nine. It was going to be ten, but COVID delayed episode ten's production so much that they moved it into season two. So it will overlap for three weeks with Visions, but I guess we shouldn't be that surprised since Loki and Bad Batch overlapped as well.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Could be a reference to Usagi Yojimbo

It could be both! Kushiban are an existing EU Star Wars race and they do look like what we see in the trailer, but Usagi also exists and Rabbit Samurai is pretty much defined by him so it's hard to think they weren't influenced by that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

jng2058 posted:

So it will overlap for three weeks with Visions, but I guess we shouldn't be that surprised since Loki and Bad Batch overlapped as well.
So did Bad Batch and What If.