Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Zerilan posted:

Think they mean convincing the bookstore owner to call her daughter inside

Oh, poo poo. Of course. Yeesh, I thought I'd missed some crazy thing with Cuno. That kid bums me out enough as it is. Speaking of, I wish there was more to learn about Cunoesse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Did you get the part that implies that Cunoesse murdered a child?

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Oh yeah, I did. I just wish there was more.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeha I meant the book store kid.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The phrase "down-on-its-luck bookstore" in that article suddenly made me think that Bernard Black from Black Books would be a fantastic character for the Disco Elysium setting.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Is there something to explore in the sewage vent in front of the bookstore? I get the MO thought prompt of “something is down there” but I haven’t figured out how to follow up or if it’s just a stray thought

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Yes, but you don’t get there through the vent. check the draped door in the bookstore

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea I’ve been through there and I’m getting this prompt afterwards. Maybe I need to go back

Ah yea that particular section I didn’t go into

the_american_dream fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 13, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

It’s a pretty high motorics check so it doesn’t usually appear until later in the game. There is a fair bit to explore behind that curtain though, could be you missed something.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Wait there's a motorica check there? Maybe I'm thinking of something else, can you say more?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

No, I mean the MO thoughts are triggered by skill checks, so some don’t appear until you boost the skills later on.

Unless... there IS a MO check in there? Maybe it’s the ghost :tinfoil:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
It requires high Perception specifically, to get a yellow orb at the grates and get the "Something is down there/smells like a potato cellar" message when you click on it. More perception you have, the more yellow orbs you can click on in the world. Also combos with the thoughts you can get from Joyce with each orb you click no matter the color giving money/exp.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yes, but you don’t get there through the vent. check the draped door in the bookstore

Is it the boxing gym?

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

CroatianAlzheimers posted:

Is it the boxing gym?

it’s a crevice at the very bottom of the room with polar bear fridge

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
After several months of keeping this game in the back of my mind, I noticed it was on sale and decided to take the plunge. I'm running a high Motorics and Intellect build, so I basically crumple at the slightest sign of physical or emotional stress. The highlight of my run so far has been shooting down the body, doing an Aces Low with Kim, and rubbing it in the Cunos' faces.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Supersonic Shine posted:

and rubbing it in the Cunos' faces.

gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

After reading countless glowing reviews and watching countless video singing this games praises i finally grabbed it while it was on sale....i didn't make it more than 10 minutes. The game did not match anything i had heard about it and i found it to be unbelievably pretentious and weird for the sake of being weird. It had that...excessively Japanese style to it that made it way too weird to immerse myself in and i immediately lost all interest and requested a refund.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
My condolences.

But also... "excessively Japanese"? What? How does that describe anything in Disco Elysium?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
If you find that poo poo weird and incomprehensible just ignore it and start doing detective work and be a boring cop. Ya square.

I went Art Cop that XP bonus is huge and it's really fun.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Inability to wrest a sandwich from a retiree after you wreck his game he's playing is one of the defining characteristics of the Japanese game style

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Ha! Too Japanese? Is it just the idea that foreign games are from Japan, or what? What a blistering hot take!

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
DE is the opposite of manga, it's Euro BD + Soviet block inspired. Wtf.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I think alot of VNs have long self-referential segments where the character talks within their own head, and Disco Elysium is all about that poo poo.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

sebmojo posted:

The game did not match anything i had heard about it

and i found it to be unbelievably pretentious and weird for the sake of being weird.

I love this game to bits, but how is pretentious (although I would say instead ambitious and usually good enough to justify it in time) and weird *NOT* the main thing you've heard about it?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
The studios activities surrounding the game could be described pretentious, with the endless Steam updates about indie developer conventions and awards and the merchandise. The painted Gigeresque art pieces also do nothing for me, but it's one of the very very few games to keep me engaged and see it through 40h to the end in.. about a decade now soo.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

so whats the coptype that cant recognize unsourced quotes because i guess thats everyone in the thread now

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I just googled that quote and it might be the real deal. That's good, because I think we all need to know what too Japanese means. Like... Haruki Murakami Japanese, or "Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon" Japanese? What hentai game is most like this and is there an English translation anywhere?

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Nihon *wishes* they came up with this game. Then they would be able to say all the good games from from there, instead of all but one

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Eh, if someone can't be bothered to add context or formatting to a post, I'm happy to give them credit for the contents.

All the reactions seem valid either way.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ragnar34 posted:

I just googled that quote and it might be the real deal. That's good, because I think we all need to know what too Japanese means. Like... Haruki Murakami Japanese, or "Is It Wrong to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon" Japanese? What hentai game is most like this and is there an English translation anywhere?

PERCEPTION [Easy: Failure] - Your eyes glaze over as they drift towards the question-marked button underneath the moderator's avatar. What is before your eyes right now is the only truth that has ever existed.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dmboogie posted:

so whats the coptype that cant recognize unsourced quotes because i guess thats everyone in the thread now

lol (it's a steam review)

Epic High Five posted:

Inability to wrest a sandwich from a retiree after you wreck his game he's playing is one of the defining characteristics of the Japanese game style

:hai:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

sebmojo posted:

After reading countless glowing reviews and watching countless video singing this games praises i finally grabbed it while it was on sale....i didn't make it more than 10 minutes. The game did not match anything i had heard about it and i found it to be unbelievably pretentious and weird for the sake of being weird.

This was my experience with Kentucky Route Zero.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
You know what, no one wants to say it, so I'm saying it. Kim's voice is hot as hell.

sebmojo posted:

So we're never going to find out what the gently caress they're talking about?!

I guess that raises the odds that they mean anime. Now I just have to find the anime.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Ragnar34 posted:

You know what, no one wants to say it, so I'm saying it. Kim's voice is hot as hell.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
A bunch of us failed our Denizen checks or whatever aspect of the psyche is responsible for autonomically reacting to forums gimmicks the way a lizard reflexively shoots blood from its eyes when confronted with danger.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

sebmojo posted:

:hai:

I've not cheated and seen the scene, I shall remain pure and will get the GOD DAMNED SANDWICH once I'm playing it on my Mario Golf console, I do not care the cost I will get that sandwich

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

three times so far I have been foiled and I am goddamned furious, not least of all because I have nobody to blame but myself

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Entorwellian posted:

This was my experience with Kentucky Route Zero.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

art project games like KRZ exist outside of the gaze of God and thus are condemned to chaos at best, such is the way of things

NitW still counts because it is a warning shot across the bow of elite coastal congregations about the encroaching threat of nega-Maoism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

I've not cheated and seen the scene, I shall remain pure and will get the GOD DAMNED SANDWICH once I'm playing it on my Mario Golf console, I do not care the cost I will get that sandwich

The Fixing Cuno, Fixing Dicso mod makes the check way easier by allowing you to roll the highest of one of four stats. You should give it a shot.