Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I played Spell Only mage when Ashes came out (you had Incanter's Apexis and Font for the synergy), and yeah it wasn't very good. It was mostly fun when DarkmoonFaire came out so you had a good finisher in C'thun, rather than just hoping for BS from Reno Hero. It was more of a control deck. I never ran Lunacy, but Lunacy only came to the forefront with the rotation and the smaller card pool. It was a dumb deck and Lunacy deserved the nerf. I kept on with a C'thun Spell Mage. But Refreshing Springwater was insane in the deck. Never used Cram session though I could have with Primordial studies, but I just didn't.
In those decks, you needed an early Incanter's flow for the off chance of getting your 5 drops down to 4 so you could survive, otherwise you pretty much ended up dead by T6 against the aggro decks that were about. It was useful, but you had a lot of high cost cards, so the 0 mana spell degeneracy wasn't that much of an issue with that kind of deck. You could maybe get off two big spells together that you wouldn't otherwise been able to.

I've moved on to Ignite mage, which doesn't run Incanter's, so I've dodged that nerf. And I haven't lost to a Quest mage except when I've drawn literally the worst possible way (this is with all decks since the expansion not just ignite) and would have lost to almost anything. They can get their questline done, and play the reward, and then they die if you've gotten some good pressure in and have your reach.
Quest Warlock can just get the reward done on T5 easily enough unless they absolutely brick the mulligan. Maybe with the darkglare nerf it'll slow them down a turn or 2, but they probably need significantly more slowing down.

For the other quests, I've probably got to build it better, but Quest Shaman seems pretty slow as is. Quest priest is slow by design. Haven't seen much of the others, but DH probably doesn't even care too much about the reward for their OTK, just the intermediate rewards can be help enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

AnacondaHL posted:

This 4 mana card almost had a higher mulligan win% than the busted 1 drop. If you or your opponents were not keeping that card in your opening hands y'all were playing the deck Wrong.
Is nerfing it (Granite Forgeborn) from 5 health to 4 health really going to change that though?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

finished some quests with secret paladin before key portions of its bullshit get whacked. how are people - players with golden heroes, honest, I've seen it - how are people still playing quests going second into a paladin secret. you have the coin. just test for oh my yogg. why would you let me do this to you

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I would guess they're either on autopilot or they just plain forgot it existed (I've only faced like two Secret Paladins this whole season). Or maybe they're just bad.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is nerfing it (Granite Forgeborn) from 5 health to 4 health really going to change that though?

nope! :v:

jeff
Dec 1, 2002
huh
Has anyone finished the priest quest? This seems impossible.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

I saw a Regis vid where he finished it, shuffled the shard into his deck and then used Alura to cast it from deck.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Of course the paladin quest doesn’t work with the duels dude hero power. Why would it

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
What streamer is playing this loan shark Rogue? Yet another deck that you can't interact with.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Which deck is this? Is it a Garrote Auctioneer miracle thing or something else?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Amoeba102 posted:

Which deck is this? Is it a Garrote Auctioneer miracle thing or something else?

I guess that's it? They get a ton of Coins and then draw all of their deck with Auctioneer, leaving only the cards that damage the enemy hero. Didn't know it was a thing until today.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Yeah it's the current Miracle Rogue. It's been around since day one of the expansion but it doesn't have a good winrate.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.

jeff posted:

I did it in Wild a couple times. It's a neat animation, the Naaru rises up and blasts your opponent with a beam. The problem is, I'd have probably won those games anyway through control and attrition, the quest just provided a forced ending and may have caused some losses in other matches by omitting other cards to make sure it could be played.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Quest Paladin is... good? At least in low Platinum. Pretty fun too, though you can DEFINITELY get some bad early draws that screw you over.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

jeff posted:

Opened a golden one and got it in literally my first game after the expansion came out, and never again. Made my day that the dude sat around for a turn and let me cast it and didn't concede

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
I got blasted by the Priest reward. Had forgotten that card was in the game and was very confused.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

goferchan posted:

Opened a golden one and got it in literally my first game after the expansion came out, and never again. Made my day that the dude sat around for a turn and let me cast it and didn't concede

It's a real dick move that the game shows the opponent when you draw it so they can immediately concede.

Gaebril
Dec 18, 2016

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Quest Paladin is... good? At least in low Platinum. Pretty fun too, though you can DEFINITELY get some bad early draws that screw you over.

Yeah I'm at D3 with quest Paladin, it's pretty consistent when you run 27 1-cost cards (plus Lothraxion and Battlemasters). Quite good against Warlock but bad against Mage. Always funny to catch a Rhino or Giant with a Judgement of Justice. Nerfs are going to hurt, I expect I'll end up switching the Conviction for a different 1-drop.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
As I take 24 damage from two Minions on Turn 5 being allowed to live, and simultaneously watch people in this very thread tell me this expansion is good actually.

"Am I out of touch? No, it's the forums that are wrong!"

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Shockeh posted:

As I take 24 damage from two Minions on Turn 5 being allowed to live, and simultaneously watch people in this very thread tell me this expansion is good actually.

Don’t worry, it’ll happen on turn 6 soon!

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Shockeh posted:

As I take 24 damage from two Minions on Turn 6 being allowed to live, and simultaneously watch people in this very thread tell me this expansion is good actually.

This is how I felt about druid in classic.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Shockeh posted:

FWIW this is one of my least favorite standard metas ever and I have played since beta. It's a shame too because I like a lot of the card designs from this set so I'm hopeful after a couple rounds of balancing it will be fun for me again.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Chernabog posted:

FWIW this is one of my least favorite standard metas ever and I have played since beta. It's a shame too because I like a lot of the card designs from this set so I'm hopeful after a couple rounds of balancing it will be fun for me again.

Same, except I mostly play wild and it is genuinely the most unplayable it's ever been with quest warlock and crystallizer. The quest needs to be retuned to instances of life lost and not a raw number. That would help at least a little bit, but I'm not sure even that would solve the problem.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I like this meta an awful lot -- I like quicker games, I like seeing a lot of classes in contention, and I like questlines, I think they've worked very well. I will, however, say this:

As a general rule, if you're sitting at 20+ health against an empty board, you really ought to be safe.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

The only thing that I'm not loving about this meta is this week getting the 'Use your hero power 50 times' quest and realizing that I may not finish before the end of the week.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

NorgLyle posted:

The only thing that I'm not loving about this meta is this week getting the 'Use your hero power 50 times' quest and realizing that I may not finish before the end of the week.

Odd Demon Hunter in wild gets that done real quick.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
got about 6600 dust from all copies of the nerfed cards nice stuff

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

NorgLyle posted:

Battlegrounds is where I finish that quest.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Raza + Anduin is my go to for that one. I guess new hunter quest ain't bad either.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Shwqa posted:

Battlegrounds is where I finish that quest.
I literally forgot that there are active hero powers in Battlegrounds.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

NorgLyle posted:

Others have chimed in already but Even Hunter in wild is where I do that quest and also where I got my 12 straight win achievement lol

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Is it too soon to know what's best post-nerfs? Because I am getting Legend this month, no loving way do I hit D5 with 19 days to go and not make it.

Cant Ride A Bus
Apr 9, 2012

"Batman, Bruce Wayne. Bruce Wayne, Batman. Or have you met?"

CapnAndy posted:

Is it too soon to know what's best post-nerfs? Because I am getting Legend this month, no loving way do I hit D5 with 19 days to go and not make it.

From what I’ve seen/heard Quest Handlock is still really good along with Quest Shaman and Quest Rogue. I’ve also heard that rush warrior is doing pretty well too.

I’m in the same boat lol, I hit d5 on the first day of the expansion and I’m trying to push for first time legend this month

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

My guess is slow quest lock and ele shaman since those barely got touched. I think paladin will still be good despite the nerfs.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Cry Havoc posted:

got about 6600 dust from all copies of the nerfed cards nice stuff

8.5k here, kept two copies of Flow, Forgeborn and Battlemaster.

PSA: Remember you can filter your collection for "refund" to see all nerfed cards eligble for a full dust refund.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Holy poo poo I had a golden conviction, free legendary!

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Shockeh posted:

Well, Paladin's entire win condition right now is 'have 2 minions stick after t5'.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Once again Paladin is the worst part of the meta.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Every time it was my opponent's turn, the game would disconnect and then reconnect. And now this

Note that neither side has any mana.

We've been doing nothing for the last five minutes. I have lethal so I'm not conceding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The golden standard pack for beating all the book of heroes thing is still broken. Relogging, rebeating it don't work.