Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Wait, Szayel returned from Hell despite having been killed while already in Hell? Or was Szayel dying in Hell non-canonical? It did happen in Chapter Imaginary 1, after all.

Well according to the movie the denizens of Hell can’t permanently die and if they do a new body regenerates for them over time in a hell pit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well according to the movie the denizens of Hell can’t permanently die and if they do a new body regenerates for them over time in a hell pit.

Makes sense, I guess. Not sure how they're going to handle the demon-ified Captains, then.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Silver2195 posted:

Makes sense, I guess. Not sure how they're going to handle the demon-ified Captains, then.

Well normally they can’t leave Hell and it takes time to regenerate a new body. Like the villains plan in Hell verse was them just trying to escape which turned out to doomed from the start. The main villain wanted Super Hollow Ichigo to break his chains keeping him bound to Hell and managed to accomplish that at the Climax, only for more chains to suddenly rush out grab him and drag him even deeper into the depths of Hell.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if they die in hell they go to double hell. i thought that was common knowledge.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Manatee Cannon posted:

that reminds me that urahara was casually mentioned in this bleach chapter but I swear he got blown up and never mentioned again in the final arc

He got better

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Bleach added so many characters it forgot to reveal the special secret techniques of some of them before jobbing them, and that was very funny. It also spent so much time with minor encounters during the final arc, but never did an adequate job explaining the villain's motivations or any of the things that were happening plot-wise, so a light novel had to be released to explain that poo poo. Just amazing.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Manatee Cannon posted:

that reminds me that urahara was casually mentioned in this bleach chapter but I swear he got blown up and never mentioned again in the final arc

He was presumably saved by Nell. Last we saw him was him beating poison Aizen by using his Bankai to “restructure” everything.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Finished Chainsaw Man. That sure was a hell of a ride.

its pretty depressing that the smartest thing Denji does is figure out how to beat Makima the way he does. I mean, the whole thing is a downer past a certain point but that especially is the coup de grace.

Part 2 when?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

Finished Chainsaw Man. That sure was a hell of a ride.

its pretty depressing that the smartest thing Denji does is figure out how to beat Makima the way he does. I mean, the whole thing is a downer past a certain point but that especially is the coup de grace.

Part 2 when?
Pretty soon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I was half joking, I kinda figured the story ended at a decent point, shut yeah!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Pretty soon.

I mean, it's been assumed to be "pretty soon" since Chainsaw Man ended, and Fujimoto put out a whole volume's worth of unrelated manga since then.

Current suspicion is that it'll start when the anime comes out, meaning a bigger boost to both. But there's no announced date for either yet.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fire force completely lost my interest within the first ten chapters because the weak character gimmicks and uninteresting aesthetic compared to soul eater's halloween-punk, but i went back to it last week and holy gently caress it's really become something exceptional

okubo's going to be missed after this is complete, he might be my favorite character artist in the industry. only kazuma kondou can do gnashing, feral grins as well as him in my experience, but i don't know anyone that can do ominous black silhouettes the way he can

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oxxidation posted:

fire force completely lost my interest within the first ten chapters because the weak character gimmicks and uninteresting aesthetic compared to soul eater's halloween-punk, but i went back to it last week and holy gently caress it's really become something exceptional

okubo's going to be missed after this is complete, he might be my favorite character artist in the industry. only kazuma kondou can do gnashing, feral grins as well as him in my experience, but i don't know anyone that can do ominous black silhouettes the way he can

Fire Force has been a great treat honestly. Arthur is also one the funniest characters I know of.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I've been slowly watching through the anime and it's been great. Arthur is the best and Ogun also rules. I also like Maki and Tamaki, and while the former gets to be cool reasonably often, I'd like to see Tamaki get to do some stuff beyond her fanservice gag, which honestly isn't that overbearing at this point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

Wait, what’s happening with Okubo? Has he gone on record as saying Fire Force is his last series or something?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 17, 2021

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
He did exactly that a while back.

Also there was a chapter just as things were heading into endgame which, if it's not a nervous breakdown given the form of sequential art photo edits of a woman is doing a drat good impression of it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ConanThe3rd posted:

He did exactly that a while back.

Also there was a chapter just as things were heading into endgame which, if it's not a nervous breakdown given the form of sequential art photo edits of a woman is doing a drat good impression of it.

yeah for a manga that started in 2015 and is mostly about people in bulky firefighter suits using pyrokinesis in highly improbable ways, its latest chapters have done a pretty good job of tapping into the general mindset of the last few years

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I'm just concerned we're watching a dood break in real time.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just caught back up on Mashle after falling behind for a while. I love this comic so much. :allears:

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I k ow there's a dedicated thread for it, but Jojo Part 8 just ended in Ultra Jump, and it's been announced Part 9 will begin after a break. Nows a good time to catch up, either to read all of Part 8 at once or to get in on the ground floor of a new part.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I brought it up years ago but Battle in 5 Seconds after Meeting has been receiving a mountain of updates over the past month in light of the anime adaptation currently airing. While I would not recommend the anime (Cheap production value, cut corners in the story, lots of pacing issues) the manga is 100% worth reading if you want a really intriguing battle series that maintains variety across it's run. The tl;dr of the story is our MC, a deeply bored intellectual named Akira Shiroyanagi, finds himself hunted down in broad daylight and killed by a mischievous young girl. Only to wake up somewhere else and trapped in a dangerous series of deathgames with countless other people each of them gifted with a unique ability. The MC's power fits his nature in that he has whatever ability he can convince someone else that he has and things proceed from there as he has to find confidants and survive the various stages of the games. The closest way I could describe how the arcs progress is how HxH arcs don't copy the same formula which helps every new development feel fresh. Non-stop good to great fights as well.

The cast is also really well presented, lots of likeable characters with new additions at a steady rate and the antagonists aren't slouches either. The writer isn't afraid to split focus from Akira to let other characters take the spotlight and probably one of my favorite arcs involves one of the early side characters going up against a mad bomber. And that arc really highlights how this series handles abilities masterfully overall, characters get creative and synergy is another crucial element not just for the MC. There are also a lot of clever moments, from the arc that was my favorite the bomber in question has the ability to turn anything with monetary value into a bomb. The strength of the bomb proportional to the value of the object. So he takes a government building hostage and starts up an auction where the hostages: which include children, a teacher, a well connected politician, and an injured cop. Which allows him to assign a value to human life and not a cheap one either, giving him a room full of walking breathing ordinances that could level a fraction of the city in a moment if he chooses. And that's just the setup for the climax, taking him down was a ruse within a ruse and a healthy dose of courage.

I don't want to ramble but seriously. :discourse: This is some good shonen.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the official tl is finally here!!

https://twitter.com/SHIHEILIN/status/1428461841072758784?s=19

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Great news.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Brought To You By posted:

I brought it up years ago but Battle in 5 Seconds after Meeting has been receiving a mountain of updates over the past month in light of the anime adaptation currently airing. While I would not recommend the anime (Cheap production value, cut corners in the story, lots of pacing issues) the manga is 100% worth reading if you want a really intriguing battle series that maintains variety across it's run. The tl;dr of the story is our MC, a deeply bored intellectual named Akira Shiroyanagi, finds himself hunted down in broad daylight and killed by a mischievous young girl. Only to wake up somewhere else and trapped in a dangerous series of deathgames with countless other people each of them gifted with a unique ability. The MC's power fits his nature in that he has whatever ability he can convince someone else that he has and things proceed from there as he has to find confidants and survive the various stages of the games. The closest way I could describe how the arcs progress is how HxH arcs don't copy the same formula which helps every new development feel fresh. Non-stop good to great fights as well.

The cast is also really well presented, lots of likeable characters with new additions at a steady rate and the antagonists aren't slouches either. The writer isn't afraid to split focus from Akira to let other characters take the spotlight and probably one of my favorite arcs involves one of the early side characters going up against a mad bomber. And that arc really highlights how this series handles abilities masterfully overall, characters get creative and synergy is another crucial element not just for the MC. There are also a lot of clever moments, from the arc that was my favorite the bomber in question has the ability to turn anything with monetary value into a bomb. The strength of the bomb proportional to the value of the object. So he takes a government building hostage and starts up an auction where the hostages: which include children, a teacher, a well connected politician, and an injured cop. Which allows him to assign a value to human life and not a cheap one either, giving him a room full of walking breathing ordinances that could level a fraction of the city in a moment if he chooses. And that's just the setup for the climax, taking him down was a ruse within a ruse and a healthy dose of courage.

I don't want to ramble but seriously. :discourse: This is some good shonen.

Hopefully it gets picked up by another translator team(or the official release speeds the hell up). The most recent ~100 or so chapters were done by a single person over the past few months. At the moment there's only ~10 chapters left untranslated.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

RatHat posted:

Hopefully it gets picked up by another translator team(or the official release speeds the hell up). The most recent ~100 or so chapters were done by a single person over the past few months. At the moment there's only ~10 chapters left untranslated.

I think Palmtree might step up. They were the other group to start doing TL's of the series before the other guy (who has a great name 'Bring back Crystal Pepsi') did but dropped it because they couldn't match 3 chapter daily releases. It should be popular enough to get a continuance.

edit:
Just read the most recent release and :lol: at that outcome. Spent like 10 volumes scheming in the background only to die without showing the fight. So Mion just decided to :boom: on this man and keep on keeping on.

Brought To You By fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Aug 20, 2021

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

edit:
Just read the most recent release and :lol: at that outcome. Spent like 10 volumes scheming in the background only to die without showing the fight. So Mion just decided to :boom: on this man and keep on keeping on.

I’m kind of bothered that the fact that their brother was the bomb kid served no purpose or mattered in the least.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Ehhhhh this could always be another death fakeout.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Ethiser posted:

I’m kind of bothered that the fact that their brother was the bomb kid served no purpose or mattered in the least.

I mean the father still cares about the Omoto connection so like McTimmy said, we could still have the watcher and/or Omoto show up latter. Not like Mion might not also be planning to kill the other observers using the pawns on her board. But I hope Bomberman is dead for good since he's more than served his purposes. Too many fake-outs and I'll start to lose faith in the writing.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well
Red Hood is employing a bold strategy to not get cancelled.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's certainly a choice

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Well
Red Hood is employing a bold strategy to not get cancelled.
I don't think it's going to pay off Cotton.

Mashle however continues to go strong and incorporate the power of friendship in a familiar way.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Surprised at Blue Box being so low.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I don't think it's going to pay off Cotton.

lmao if it survives solely through the power of very large ladies

The rest of the shonen gang this week was ok. nothing too special.
I think Candy Flurry needs to do more jokes per chapter if its to survive. Really lean on these earnest dumbasses.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

This chapter is exactly what I wanted from Witch Watch.

Also

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Roboco's Large Garbage sign is quite the mood.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

This chapter is exactly what I wanted from Witch Watch.

Also

Nemu is just too cute. I love her cat ear hair style.

Also the conclusion to the enchanter fight was hilarious.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ethiser posted:

Well it was implied that he was not actually his brother as the real Omoto was dead and possessed by one of the old Observers

Also I did enjoy this weeks Red Hood.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Aug 22, 2021

En Family Mook
Apr 29, 2017

Red Hood rocks socks and I am enjoying it a great deal!

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Candy Flurry is looking pretty axed at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not gonna lie the end chapter reveal in Red Hood got my interest way up.

Candy Flurry's end makes me think it's rushing toward an end though or maybe it's just being super fast paced?