Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Atopian posted:

Switching out from $chemistry after $organic is part of the cycle of life.

Orgo has nothing on PChem, c’mon.

I still have Physical Chemistry nightmares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Friends, current projection is we sell out of inventory during the presentation announcing we have inventory

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Barudak posted:

Friends, current projection is we sell out of inventory during the presentation announcing we have inventory

* Unfurls "Mission Accomplished" Banner *

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Barudak posted:

This calls for a shorter presentation.
Something on the order of:

*clears throat* "TOO FUCKIN' LAAAATE, BITCHES!"

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

AHH F/UGH posted:

Do you at Manchild, Inc.?

May well have been. Like 2/3rds of the department were the children of other people in the department. This meant a lot of people who probably should have had engineering degrees or some level of engineering related experience were in over their heads from day one and the department didn't care because they charged the government by the man hour and not by actual accomplishments.

Rock Paper Tongue
Oct 24, 2016

May cause birth defects

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I was an engineering major for my first two years at UConn and it’s so true. Just a bunch of pissed off people at all times from all the stress.

The last few years of my degree were an absolute loving nightmare and turned me into a shrieking husk that felt nothing but stress and rage. I wouldn't wish electrical engineering on anybody, that poo poo will break your spirit

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Rock Paper Tongue posted:

The last few years of my degree were an absolute loving nightmare and turned me into a shrieking husk that felt nothing but stress and rage. I wouldn't wish electrical engineering on anybody, that poo poo will break your spirit

Then you're dumped into a world of uncaring jaded old men who will absolutely not give you the time of day. At least this have been my experience with grey haired electrical engineers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Even just my minors were awful. gently caress

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I did fairly well in a lot of the more difficult courses, but I just had some sort of mental block when it came to Circuits I. I ended up having to take it a second time. I still have a couple of pictures I took forever ago. Like, wtf is PE and what did I do to find it? I don't even remember how to convert poo poo to polar notation in order to solve something as simple as this anymore.

-----

I've been at my current employer since 2016 (it is my first big boy job out of college). I've only been at my role (SAP DBA) since January, actually doing work on projects since March, but I've been asking my boss about when I can move up a half-step in employee level (it comes with something like a 10% raise). He wouldn't give me a concrete answer, but now I'm slated to start on-call weeks in September, so I'm going to continue to pressure him about that mini-promotion. If I'm competent enough to do installs, patching, BC switchovers, and now on-calls, then I've got the technical expertise to get what isn't even a full promotion.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I know nothing about your company and field, but uh, I'd go to a new company and get a massively larger than 10% raise

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

Batterypowered7 posted:

I did fairly well in a lot of the more difficult courses, but I just had some sort of mental block when it came to Circuits I. I ended up having to take it a second time. I still have a couple of pictures I took forever ago. Like, wtf is PE and what did I do to find it? I don't even remember how to convert poo poo to polar notation in order to solve something as simple as this anymore.

-----

I've been at my current employer since 2016 (it is my first big boy job out of college). I've only been at my role (SAP DBA) since January, actually doing work on projects since March, but I've been asking my boss about when I can move up a half-step in employee level (it comes with something like a 10% raise). He wouldn't give me a concrete answer, but now I'm slated to start on-call weeks in September, so I'm going to continue to pressure him about that mini-promotion. If I'm competent enough to do installs, patching, BC switchovers, and now on-calls, then I've got the technical expertise to get what isn't even a full promotion.

Yeah I'm over here amazed youve literally been working for the same company for 5 years now. Youve been playing yourself. I graduated at the same time as you, I've switched jobs 3 times now.

Leave. Leave and get a raise.

Diametunim fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 17, 2021

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Diametunim posted:

Yeah I'm over here amazed youve literally been working for the same company for 5 years now. Youve been playing yourself. I graduated at the same time as you, I've switched jobs 3 times now.

The pay's good (but not great), but the benefits have been pretty decent: 8% 401k matching, 25 vacation days (plus holidays), unlimited sick days (I've never had anyone give me poo poo for taking a day or three off because I'm sick). The real reason I haven't switched to a new employer is because I've gotten bounced around to three different teams doing three completely different things (Siebel development, Datastage development, and am now a DBA). Siebel work isn't something I want to do and neither is Datastage work. I've wanted to get into DBA work for a few years now and I've only just gotten my chance. I'll probably start looking once I feel I've got my feel solidly under me.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Batterypowered7 posted:

-----

Welcome to the hell industry, you will only get raises by changing job or threatening to change job. Even more so than any other salaried career track I've ever seen.

SAP careers are just laughably managed across all the big consulting companies right now and if you're in a IT org without consulting/contracting they have even less idea about how to handle you. There's promotion processes of course but they are weak and atrophied from the sheer amount of ring around the rosie. Love your employer on an ideas level? Fantastic, you'll be back in 4 years and 3 job changes making twice as much.

We've just about gotten the gunk out of our promotion processes, waiting to hear on a promotion for a report that should come with a raise similar to where I'm at, which is probably the right amount for the level and specialty we're both in. That came with a conversation for my boss with his boss about why I'm not making more because I have 1.5 years more experience and previous leadership experience ahead of him. Cue round table LOLs about our currently pathetic salary track even compared to other parts of the same company and a reminder I'm here for fun and a 50% travel cap.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

We're celebrating more people coming back to the office... with a buffet lunch. Spearheaded by an eternally sick and coughing manager.

I'm not sure they're not trying to get infections spreading.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
The other week the leadership team sent an email reminding people that while everyone has to be back in the office, feel free to wear masks. A co-worker's dad died of covid last week. Now we found out the co-worker is infected as well.

Today they sent out an email reminding people to stay home if they feel sick. Was talking to a formerly remote worker (they changed policy and now if you live within X miles you have to report to the office even if you were classified as remote since you were hired) and he said he's seeing lots of coughing and sneezing at the office. I think they instilled too much fear into people telling people they can look for another job if they want to work from home.

Thankfully I live outside the report to the office range, so I'm spared all of this nonsense.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Diametunim posted:

we should put this on our money

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

gschmidl posted:

Rub it in ostentatiously?

She was a really lovely awful lady that actively made my life worse when I had to work for her. I try to avoid her because that rear end in a top hat does not deserve anymore of my time.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Barudak posted:

Got a corporate chart of our progress and trajectory with excellent graphics and fonts and a ton of ethnic diversity on the cartoon people which makes sense for the US and not so much for a country where on a good day I think there are 0 spanish speakers not employed by an embassy.

The mistake is thinking that these slides were actually made for you to use, rather than for their boss to approve.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Dumb poo poo your work does - a shrieking husk of stress and rage

Doflamingo
Sep 20, 2006

Guys, I think I’m quitting my job that I hate and foregoing $90k in unvested stock options in the process. The new place seems awesome and is offering a higher salary but drat, what a loss.

Should I try to suck it up for another 9 months or just accept it and change? It’s just become so unbearable lately :/

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Every day my work sends me automatically generated emails saying what jobs are available, and they have subjects like "EXTREMELY CRITICAL" or "PLEASE HELP"

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

Guys, I think I’m quitting my job that I hate and foregoing $90k in unvested stock options in the process. The new place seems awesome and is offering a higher salary but drat, what a loss.

Should I try to suck it up for another 9 months or just accept it and change? It’s just become so unbearable lately :/

It would suck for you to try to stick it out another nine months and realize three months in that you really can't. Then you're out the new, awesome seeming job and you're still not vested at your current place. Only you can determine whether you can make it another nine months or not, really.

Randy Travesty
Oct 27, 2014

PHANTOM QUEEN

Barudak posted:

That actually happened to me while I was on the call announcing inventory arrival today.

We're doing great.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Doflamingo posted:

And by then, they’ll have given you more unvested stock in the hopes that you continue to buy in to the sunk cost fallacy.

Some places will offer their own unvested stock to new hires to replace the golden handcuffs - probably won’t hurt to ask.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Things I would do for $90k: Murder, overthrow governments, kill and dethrone god.

Things I would not do for $90k: Spend another minute working for your shitbox company.

There's your resignation letter

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Blue Moonlight posted:

And by then, they’ll have given you more unvested stock in the hopes that you continue to buy in to the sunk cost fallacy.

Some places will offer their own unvested stock to new hires to replace the golden handcuffs - probably won’t hurt to ask.

Do this

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Doflamingo posted:

Ask new job for a sign on bonus/golden handshake because you’re leaving 100k in stock at the old job.

Even if new job says no to that, :yotj: anyway because gently caress your existing hateful environment.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

At the eight month mark the stock will take a dive and be worth $200

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mormon Nailer posted:

That actually happened to me while I was on the call announcing inventory arrival today.

We're doing great.

Congrats fellow buddy.

I'm back to creating material for what I would do in the future if we had stock and if it didn't immediately sell out when we have it. Look at this regression line, look at how meaningful it could be in an alternate timeline where Nero didn't attack the USS Kelvin.

hooliganesh
Aug 1, 2003

REPENT!

Outrail posted:

Things I would do for $90k: Murder, overthrow governments, kill and dethrone god.

Things I would not do for $90k: Spend another minute working for your shitbox company.

There's your resignation letter

Quoted for truth.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
So they’re finally putting my promotion through soon after dragging for months and I’m going to end up making less money. Stupid hourly->salaried switch. Part of me wants to turn it down but I’m really only here for my resume anyway. May as well stick it out to open doors for the big money jobs down the line.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So they’re finally putting my promotion through soon after dragging for months and I’m going to end up making less money. Stupid hourly->salaried switch. Part of me wants to turn it down but I’m really only here for my resume anyway. May as well stick it out to open doors for the big money jobs down the line.

It is 100% ok to take the promotion then immediately find a new job based on that new title. In fact, its the best

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

$90k stock option goon: What is the value of that stock right now? Does it fluctuate?

Whichever the case, the consensus, at least in yospos, is that stock options might as well not be present when negotiating.

is it at all possible to give them fewer hours so you don't give your employer money?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

champagne posting posted:

$90k stock option goon: What is the value of that stock right now? Does it fluctuate?

Whichever the case, the consensus, at least in yospos, is that stock options might as well not be present when negotiating.

This is part of how I’m getting hosed with my promotion, they’re using stock options as a significant part of the package but I wouldn’t even vest more than my first share until 2023. I will not be at this job in 2023.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

This is part of how I’m getting hosed with my promotion, they’re using stock options as a significant part of the package but I wouldn’t even vest more than my first share until 2023. I will not be at this job in 2023.

This is the point where you email your boss your cv and ask for pointers

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

champagne posting posted:

This is the point where you email your boss your cv and ask for pointers

I’ve got three months left to avoid the clawback on my sign on bonus unfortunately.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I’ve got three months left to avoid the clawback on my sign on bonus unfortunately.

You can phone it in for three months. We believe in you

Barudak
May 7, 2007

3 months to find a new job is real good

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Salary is definitely the most important thing when looking at a job: it’s what you live on month to month. Bonuses, stock options, etc. are all nice, but I’d much rather have the secure monthly pay than the potential of a bit more money if things work out exactly as the business predicts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Scientastic posted:

Salary is definitely the most important thing when looking at a job: it’s what you live on month to month. Bonuses, stock options, etc. are all nice, but I’d much rather have the secure monthly pay than the potential of a bit more money if things work out exactly as the business predicts

Bonuses and stock options should be considered at their true value: $0

Until they're realized it might as well be monopoly money