Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

I made another with hatch chili and black garlic

hello,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

i also like the look of this mike piazza

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

yo that's a good looking pizza

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

post crust recipe please :mrgw:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I don't follow a recipe really but here's what I do.

1.5 cups warm water
quarter to half teaspoon dry yeast from the jar
quarter cup olive oil
quarter teaspoon salt
(Optional) 1 - 3 tablespoons sugar or honey
(Optional) herbs, use oregano and basil
(Optional) quarter to half cup whole wheat flour
2 - 4 cups AP flour

I only measure the water and eyeball everything else. Put everything in the stand mixer except half the AP flour and start mixing. Add in more flour as it mixes, let it knead a bit between additions. Add flour until the dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl as it mixes. Then knead it until it looks nice and smooth and portion it into even sized dough balls. You can do all this by hand if you want or don't have a mixer. Put them in oiled covered bowls. I usually just portion it and put it all in the fridge since it tastes better after a few days cold ferment but if you want to use it same day let it rise an hour on the counter.

i usually portion into 3 or 4 dough balls

Bake 525 (max my oven goes) for 3 or 4 mins, then broil another 2 - 4 to brown toppings. If I use whole wheat flour I parbake the crust + sauce for a few mins since it takes a little longer to cook.

Brush crust edge w olive oil or melted butter and shake herbs on top before baking to get the crust to be herby on the outside like in the pic. and overshoot the cheese layer to cover a little crust

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Aug 13, 2021

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

cool thank you! do you bake your pies in something or just hand toss? they look so perfeclty round

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Made by hand, put them in a round bowl to rise and the dough is easier to keep round as you stretch it. I also stretch it out and bake on parchment paper, i yoink it out from between the pizza and the stone a minute or two in to get better contact.

i bake on a flat cast iron tawa, not technically a stone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
bread terrifies me. I have never once been able to successfully make anything involving flour and yeast. I just can't do it and i can't be hosed to keep trying b/c its so disappointing every time. i follow the instructions exactly and things never rise, or its burnt outside raw inside, or whatever.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

https://i.imgur.com/5v1tpgN.mp4

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

I hope you eat it slower than you prepare it or you're just asking for a tummy ache

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Jonny 290 posted:

bread terrifies me. I have never once been able to successfully make anything involving flour and yeast. I just can't do it and i can't be hosed to keep trying b/c its so disappointing every time. i follow the instructions exactly and things never rise, or its burnt outside raw inside, or whatever.

try drop biscuits from the joy of cooking, they're like ez mode bread product

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

goddamn pizza pro

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
if i tried that it’d end up looking like the time milhouse’s dad tried to draw dignity

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
i sleep in a big homemade pizza with my wife

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i cant make pizza but

i can make a bowl of stir fry

1 lb diced pork (just that 'stew meat' stuff they sell cheap)
my usual korean marinade for that*
mushroom/zucchini/onion for veg
calrose rice, as always
tons of scallion, as always

*i dont measure i just eyeball it.
soy sauce
shaoxing wine
rice vinegar
fine diced ginger and garlic
gochujang
gochugaru
white pepper
a little bit of brown sugar

go easy on the gochugaru or it'll turn bitter

bonus shot of my lunch preps last night

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i stir fried some pork with carrots, green pepper, and the green leafy part of the fennel the other day. tasted pretty good

made a sauce for it out of black vinegar, oyster sauce, shaoxing, light soy sauce, lao gan ma, chile powder, and corn starch

fart simpson fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 17, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

for anyone interested in cooking chinese food at home, i know it’s maybe a bit of a stretch, but i would seriously recommend downloading 下厨房 or just using their website. you do need to be able to read a bit of chinese but some basic food words are doable imo and a lot of the recipes you can follow with only minimal translation if they have pictures

https://www.xiachufang.com/recipe/106062946/

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Jonny 290 posted:

how long does that keep in the fridge?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

how long does that keep in the fridge?
Probably 5 days

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
All week no problem at all. i've done 6 day rounds too, works fine.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Jonny 290 posted:

i cant make pizza but

i can make a bowl of stir fry

1 lb diced pork (just that 'stew meat' stuff they sell cheap)
my usual korean marinade for that*
mushroom/zucchini/onion for veg
calrose rice, as always
tons of scallion, as always

*i dont measure i just eyeball it.
soy sauce
shaoxing wine
rice vinegar
fine diced ginger and garlic
gochujang
gochugaru
white pepper
a little bit of brown sugar

go easy on the gochugaru or it'll turn bitter

looks good posting pal

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i made a red curry tonight

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shaggar posted:

yo i got some of these and they are delicious.

theyre the real deal

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
we had to replace our electric range and got a new one that has an integrated air fry setting. it's pretty handy for frozen fried fish fillets, bacon, etc. i would not have bought a little standalone one but as part of a range it's very neat.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Kenny Logins posted:

we had to replace our electric range and got a new one that has an integrated air fry setting. it's pretty handy for frozen fried fish fillets, bacon, etc. i would not have bought a little standalone one but as part of a range it's very neat.
How does a range have air frying? Or you mean it's an integrated range/oven and you had to replace it because the range part broke?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mystes posted:

How does a range have air frying? Or you mean it's an integrated range/oven and you had to replace it because the range part broke?
in canada at least they call combo stovetop/oven ranges. i know. sorry

air fry function is in the oven part

and it was the oven part that broke, would have cost more to fix than replace. we got 9.5 years out of it at least

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also I think an oven with "air frying" is really just a convection oven (air fryers are really just mini convection ovens) but convection ovens are good. For some reason it seems like they only caught on in the UK before but I guess now that "air frying" is more well known maybe it will do better if marketed under that name.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

mystes posted:

Also I think an oven with "air frying" is really just a convection oven (air fryers are really just mini convection ovens) but convection ovens are good. For some reason it seems like they only caught on in the UK before but I guess now that "air frying" is more well known maybe it will do better if marketed under that name.

yea its this

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

mystes posted:

the distinction i've noticed is convection bake is bake + fan, which means more even cooking either somewhat faster or at somewhat lower temp or both. air fryer mode doesn't even need to preheat and is basically turbo convection bake. cook time is noticeably shorter and the end result is always "crisp"

call it what you will but it's a neat improvement if only to avoid preheating

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

https://twitter.com/70ceeks/status/1414710481525383176?s=21

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Kenny Logins posted:

the distinction i've noticed is convection bake is bake + fan, which means more even cooking either somewhat faster or at somewhat lower temp or both. air fryer mode doesn't even need to preheat and is basically turbo convection bake. cook time is noticeably shorter and the end result is always "crisp"

call it what you will but it's a neat improvement if only to avoid preheating

yah the higher end convection ovens nowadays are shovin in an air fry mode

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

air fried oven bacon in 17 minutes on a foil-lined baking sheet. very nice, usually takes 25 minutes on convection bake, albeit no preheating either way

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

air fried oven bacon in 17 minutes on a foil-lined baking sheet. very nice, usually takes 25 minutes on convection bake, albeit no preheating either way

you shouldn't preheat to cook bacon anyway. bacon cooks best when it gets time to slowly render out its fat as the oven heats. put bacon on a sheet, pop the whole thing in, set oven to 450. mine is usually done at 12 minutes for thick bacon

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i used to do like 8 full sheets of oven bacon a day at the cafe. you end up permanently smelling like bacon but its objectively the best way to cook it

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

you shouldn't preheat to cook bacon anyway. bacon cooks best when it gets time to slowly render out its fat as the oven heats. put bacon on a sheet, pop the whole thing in, set oven to 450. mine is usually done at 12 minutes for thick bacon
yeah that's why i said no preheating either way. also makes less mess that way

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Aug 22, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

yeah that's why i said no preheating either way. also makes less mess that way

oops i misread lol

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

oops i misread lol
it's still good advice you gave :-)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

or its burnt outside raw inside

mmm medium rare

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

im visiting my parents and they have a nice gas oven.

i bought my parents a stone and showed them how to make it themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

PokeJoe posted:

im visiting my parents and they have a nice gas oven.

i bought my parents a stone and showed them how to make it themselves

art.

finally got off my rear end and started baking some bread again, although not sourdough because i cbf to keep a starter going anymore