Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Zil posted:

Explain the Roomba then.

Basically just a plastic excavator

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Heavy machinery is also just a very convincing illusion if you think about it

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

History Comes Inside! posted:

That’s just a giant robot vacuum cleaner not an advanced humanoid robot.

It's running one of my nightclubs right now!

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

cleanest club in yokohama

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

cleanest club in yokohama

On the other hand I had Clara in charge of one of my properties for a while. Dirtiest club in Yokohama.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

stev posted:

20 goons strapped together.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
LAD: In defense of Mirror Face, there's nothing about his two scenes that says anything about how he actually mimics people. He could spend weeks studying his subject and crafting a latex mask Mission Impossible style. It's at the very least not more absurd than rubber bullets.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
See to me the Y4 revelation of rubber bullets is dumb but it's kind of saved by the fact that the scene after that is the chief of police going "look at how messy and terrible your report is idiot you're absolutely going to get caught if I don't cover for you."

It's the later scene where you find out that the police chief still keeps a gun loaded with rubber bullets around just in case someone tries to shoot him in his own office that somehow felt like a contrivance too far.

There's also a mid game reveal that Shibata never actually cut off his own finger and just tricked everyone into thinking he did. This is obviously supposed to show he's a liar and a cheat and doesn't really matter because he dies in the same scene but like, what was his plan? To just hide his hand from everyone in the Tojo for the rest of his life?

Wolfsheim fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Aug 17, 2021

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Finishing up K2 and just got to the Osaka castle and all I can say is lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yakuza 4:

Wolfsheim posted:

There's also a mid game reveal that Shibata never actually cut off his own finger and just tricked everyone into thinking he did. This is obviously supposed to show he's a liar and a cheat and doesn't really matter because he dies in the same scene but like, what was his plan? To just hide his hand from everyone in the Tojo for the rest of his life?

I think he figured he was gonna end up in charge at which point things like,"He didn't do what he said he did," goes from a grave dishonorable act to "oh how clever and forward-thinking of you Boss, you are so smart and also handsome!"

He was definitely the type who thought power would let him get away with anything.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ZiegeDame posted:

LAD: In defense of Mirror Face, there's nothing about his two scenes that says anything about how he actually mimics people. He could spend weeks studying his subject and crafting a latex mask Mission Impossible style. It's at the very least not more absurd than rubber bullets.

how does that work with tennnnndooooo though

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

That’s why it’s really stupid even by Yakuza standards.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I mean we could have had a late game grinding quest where Ichiban contacts him, and Mirror Face says it obviously takes a ton of time and effort to do that, he can’t just imitate someone out of the blue, so he needs Ichiban to collect the materials from another sewer dungeon

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

how does that work with tennnnndooooo though

LAD There is an unspecified amount of time skipped over between the explosion and the start of the final chapter, however long a Japanese election is supposed to last. Ichiban and crew spent that time laying low and formulating their big plan, so presumably that would include time for Mirror Face to work on his Tendo impression. Could they have actually shown any of this at any time? Sure, but then they'd have to make an actual model for Mirror Face and who has time for that?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
his actual model is obviously a turncoat titillator.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
yakuza 3 is good fu 8ers.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yakuza 3 was fine but it was also the only one (so far) that I put down as soon as I finished the main story.

On that note, goddamn do I hate 3 & 4’s completely idiotic hostess minigame. I didn’t realize how spoiled I was with 0 and 2’s hostess minigame until it became…this.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Ya could be the Queen of France but....

I feel like Y3 had a lot of quests that gave you a hugely unnecessary runaround, chasing some child or animal or just looking for different objects. I'm up to the start of 5 and while all the games I've played do that to an extent, it's really obvious and really annoying in 3.

Also 3 has by far my lowest completion at 38.0%, 4 is next lowest at 62.4% so it shows that I didn't really engage with most of it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Is it illegal to include pachinko in a videogame or is it actually included in some of the series eventually?

Also does the series or Like a Dragon have some edict against women being in combat, outside of your party? Several times you get into a fight with a couple or a woman, but then the combat starts and it's just the boy goons to fight. I know Yakuza are super sexist and don't generally have women in the org, but there are several instances of women you'd logically fight who aren't yakuza but the game is like "nooo can't show that... for some reason?"

derra
Dec 29, 2012
One of the main reasons Kiryu isn't in Tekken is because he will not hit a woman.

I guess Haruka doesn't count or something.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

derra posted:

One of the main reasons Kiryu isn't in Tekken is because he will not hit a woman.

As Yagami proved, there's nothing wrong with hitting children.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Tanimura's trainer is a woman, and you fight her as him, but I can't remember any others off the top of my head.

I guess Kiryu's beast mode trainer is a woman too, but I don't think you ever actually spar with her, you just do box-punching games.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yakuza 3 was fine but it was also the only one (so far) that I put down as soon as I finished the main story.

On that note, goddamn do I hate 3 & 4’s completely idiotic hostess minigame. I didn’t realize how spoiled I was with 0 and 2’s hostess minigame until it became…this.

Having to slowly walk around the room between each "shift" is super annoying for sure. At least once you complete the first Hostess getting to #1, the others can be done pretty quickly. Fightmaker in 4 was way more annoying because each one takes a pretty long time to complete, especially with that guy who had poo poo starting stats that took forever to build up, and had really weak/ineffective combat animations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Ainsley McTree posted:

Tanimura's trainer is a woman, and you fight her as him, but I can't remember any others off the top of my head.

I guess Kiryu's beast mode trainer is a woman too, but I don't think you ever actually spar with her, you just do box-punching games.

I thought it was really neat in Y0 that while Majima's trainers were all of the normal 'fight the trainer, learn move' variety that all of Kiryu's were unique (dodge attacks, beat mannequins with crates, fight off increasingly absurd hitmen). Y0 has a lot of cool design decisions like that that you only kind of realize after playing all the other games and realizing they had refined the formula so much by that point that they could put a bunch of new spins on it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

derra posted:

He will not hit a cis woman, you mean.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I just started playing Yakuza 5... how dare that hussy be in sweet innocent Kiryu's apartment? :toughguy:

In all seriousness, so glad to still have managed to stay spoiler free on all these games, because this sudden shift in the situation is really interesting and I'm glad to be getting it without knowing it was coming.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I love how melancholy the start of 5 is

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1427978976169914368?s=19

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
Just bought 3, 4, 5, and 6 for half off on the latest sale. Now I have all of the Yakuza games and I can't wait to get back into 0. Finished up the platinum trophy for Judgment.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

As if I couldn't want Monkey Ball enough already.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
The Staminan bananas are a nice touch

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

holy loving poo poo.

new canon game.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

now we know what Kiryu's doing whenever he's not on camera in LAD

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

rt4 posted:

The Staminan bananas are a nice touch

Staminanas, obviously

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

A real bummer that Takaya Kuroda isn't constantly screaming while hurtling around the course. Kiryu is way too quiet here

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

Khanstant posted:

Is it illegal to include pachinko in a videogame or is it actually included in some of the series eventually?

Y4 has it.

...Or was it 3?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Doing my YLAD replay on Series X with the dub, poo poo looks super crisp

I do appreciate how even though 2000 Kamurocho is only used for a little bit, it’s accurate to the in-game timeline. Signage for Serena, the Kazama Family office, partially constructed Millennium Tower

Carlosologist fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Aug 18, 2021

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/machinegumkiss/status/1428043067848761347

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Carlosologist posted:

Doing my YLAD replay on Series X with the dub, poo poo looks super crisp

I do appreciate how even though 2000 Kamurocho is only used for a little bit, it’s accurate to the in-game timeline. Signage for Serena, the Kazama Family office, partially constructed Millennium Tower

LAD was my first time visiting Yokohama and I was not prepared for the change of scenery, I spent a few hours wandering Kamurocho, marking the safes and doing activities. Waking up where you did was a real treat for me and they did just as killer a job here as they did in Kamurocho.

I can't envision myself ever getting to leave my country to travel somewhere else, but if I got the chance I'd wanna go to one of those places and try and wander around until someone needs help and then I'd get to be one of the NPCs running away at the start of a fight. It would rule.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

https://twitter.com/EmeraldDemond/status/1428110707271208964