Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Ugly In The Morning posted:

PHUO: Yeah firefly was overrated but I was just watching it on Hulu and it’s really good, I forgot how excellent it was

I just watched that last year after hearing about how good it was from literally every single person in my friend group. There were some episodes that I thought were slogs to get through, but for the most part it was pretty great and there were a few episodes that I think were some of the best TV sci-fi that's ever aired.

My favorites were the Jane heavy episodes (Ariel and Janestown). The episode where they're defending a brothel I think leaned waaaaay too into the western theme. I liked the one where they were at the party too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
I could never get past it's Wheedoness, which is weird because I really liked Buffy, but I think that's mostly in spite of him.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Joss Whedon watched Outlaw Star and thought, "What if this didn't have any Asian people in it and also was hornier about the female characters?" and made Firefly

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

PHUO: Yeah firefly was overrated but I was just watching it on Hulu and it’s really good, I forgot how excellent it was
I don't think anyone would argue against the merits of Firefly when it was good, more that it wasn't good enough to deserve preservation in light of Whedon's shittiness.

Robobot posted:

The episode where they're defending a brothel I think leaned waaaaay too into the western theme.
That one features a woman being forced to sexually debase herself in front of a CHUD crowd right? The "classy prostitute" stuff was gross and even diehards glossed over it when it came out, but in light of how Whedon was being a depressingly typical Hollywood sleaze the entire time all of that stuff has aged like hot milk.

But that said...

PHUO: Despite Whedon and all of its faults, Buffy/Angel's best stuff is worth preservation and whether you like it or not he was key in making the Avengers the defining blockbuster of the 2010s.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Joss Whedon watched Outlaw Star and thought, "What if this didn't have any Asian people in it and also was hornier about the female characters?" and made Firefly

Is that a good show? I've been trying to find animes to watch because I liked the Castlevania Netflix show, but haven't really managed to find anything. There always seems to be one stupidly annoying character that gets ridiculous amounts of screen time. I'm sure there's even a name for that kind of character. Like the little kid in Cowboy Beebop.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Outlaw star is great

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Robobot posted:

Is that a good show? I've been trying to find animes to watch because I liked the Castlevania Netflix show, but haven't really managed to find anything. There always seems to be one stupidly annoying character that gets ridiculous amounts of screen time. I'm sure there's even a name for that kind of character. Like the little kid in Cowboy Beebop.

Its good. And it's anime, so it is available for free in the usual place.

I can't think of any stupidly annoying character in the main cast. There's a kid, but he's the sensible mechanic business partner. And there's the weird girl they find frozen in a suitcase, but unlike in Firefly she actually gets better and becomes a developed character and fights an ironically very Joss Whedony villain.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There is absolutely a stupidly annoying character that gets ridiculous amounts of screen time and everyone here sucks for not mentioning them upfront:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1E7izcG3qE

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Anyone who doesn't like clan clan can get hosed

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Aisha isn't annoying, she's great.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Outlaw Star is cool and good in spite of her.

It's like a good Waffle House-- if you go in expecting haute couture and Michelin food you deserve your disappointment. If you're going because you want 2 am eggs and waffles, you'll get a drat good version of that.

The Caster Gun was and remains one of the coolest guns in all media. No qualifiers. I know what I loving said.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Robobot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SPBJRzW2HM

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

mind the walrus posted:

There is absolutely a stupidly annoying character that gets ridiculous amounts of screen time and everyone here sucks for not mentioning them upfront:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1E7izcG3qE

Oh....oh wow...that 12 seconds was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Is it worth giving it three episodes?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Robobot posted:

Oh....oh wow...that 12 seconds was like nails on a chalkboard to me. Is it worth giving it three episodes?
She grows on most people because in the show she's explicitly acknowledged as a dumbass and her role is to be the dumb strong person in the party, but if you didn't like Ed in Cowboy Bebop I can't imagine you'll come around for her.

So when I say that and then also say "but the good parts are worth it" understand I do so knowing how miserable the parts with her are going to be for you, especially early on.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Cool. I'll give it a few episodes then. That preview, as early 2000's as it is, actually looks like something I'd really like.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Robobot posted:

I just watched that last year after hearing about how good it was from literally every single person in my friend group. There were some episodes that I thought were slogs to get through, but for the most part it was pretty great and there were a few episodes that I think were some of the best TV sci-fi that's ever aired.

My favorites were the Jane heavy episodes (Ariel and Janestown). The episode where they're defending a brothel I think leaned waaaaay too into the western theme. I liked the one where they were at the party too.

My favorites are roughly the same. It had some low points but seriously it was fantastic.

It has some back and forth with being overrated.

mind the walrus posted:

I don't think anyone would argue against the merits of Firefly when it was good, more that it wasn't good enough to deserve preservation in light of Whedon's shittiness.

It’s not like Whedon made the whole show himself. Burying it because he’s a shitheel fucks over the actors, writers, an whatnot who did a great drat job.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It’s not like Whedon made the whole show himself. Burying it because he’s a shitheel fucks over the actors, writers, an whatnot who did a great drat job.
I'd argue that none of the people on the show would consider it their best work, even if the leads had some exceptional chemistry. Plus just about everyone who was going to have a career after the show already has. At 20 years I do think we can call it.

Plus I went out of my way to say that other works Whedon spearheaded like Buffy and Angel (mostly the final season) are worth preserving.

Firefly just isn't. The good parts aren't that good. The only episodes that stood out to me as "oh yeah that was drat good TV" were the Out of Gas one and the one where Wash gets all jealous of Mal and they have to deal with torture. Maybe the one where they decide to invade the hospital to steal medicine and there's a handful of good scenes.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

mind the walrus posted:

Plus I went out of my way to say that other works Whedon spearheaded like Buffy and Angel (mostly the final season) are worth preserving.

What's this mean? We should delete firefly and play reruns of Buffy? You know you can just not watch it again if you don't want to.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

History before the invention of countries is super boring and stupid. "And then the Baron of Corgne claimed the right to search grain-bearing vessels traveling down the rive, leading to conflict with the Prince of Port Canavese, which led to a three battles along the banks of the Orco. Corgne won the day but willingly renounced the right to search grain-bearing vessels in return for three hufe(100 morgen) along the north bank. All of this was rendered moot 15 years later when Elector Frederick gave control over both cities to Count Neustaffel as part of a settlement resulting from Frederick's disagreement with the church over Bishopric boundaries."

It's just that over and over again until the loving Treaty of Westphalia. It sucks!

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Atticus_1354 posted:

What's this mean? We should delete firefly and play reruns of Buffy? You know you can just not watch it again if you don't want to.
Yes that is very literally what I mean. We're gonna meet at my place with DVD sets.

Gripweed posted:

History before the invention of countries is super boring and stupid. "And then the Baron of Corgne claimed the right to search grain-bearing vessels traveling down the rive, leading to conflict with the Prince of Port Canavese, which led to a three battles along the banks of the Orco. Corgne won the day but willingly renounced the right to search grain-bearing vessels in return for three hufe(100 morgen) along the north bank. All of this was rendered moot 15 years later when Elector Frederick gave control over both cities to Count Neustaffel as part of a settlement resulting from Frederick's disagreement with the church over Bishopric boundaries."

It's just that over and over again until the loving Treaty of Westphalia. It sucks!
One of the many, many ways Christianity failed to catch me was by endless referral to ancient desert kingdoms I had never loving heard of as though it were meant to be everyday knowledge to a suburban US kid in the 1990s. It was everything tedious, pompous, and boring about learning a new nerd thing that doesn't care to catch you up on the continuity, without the occasional hope of like a sexy pinup girl or cool monster fight or space explosion.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I'm two episodes into Outlaw Star and I like it! Thank you everyone!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

mind the walrus posted:

One of the many, many ways Christianity failed to catch me was by endless referral to ancient desert kingdoms I had never loving heard of as though it were meant to be everyday knowledge to a suburban US kid in the 1990s. It was everything tedious, pompous, and boring about learning a new nerd thing that doesn't care to catch you up on the continuity, without the occasional hope of like a sexy pinup girl or cool monster fight or space explosion.

You know what kids love? The Principality of Antioch. All the Outremer really, but they go wild for Antioch

Robobot posted:

I'm two episodes into Outlaw Star and I like it! Thank you everyone!

I'm always willing to recommend anime.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gripweed posted:

You know what kids love? The Principality of Antioch. All the Outremer really, but they go wild for Antioch

I'm partial to Babylon the great.

And the emissions like donkeys.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Gripweed posted:

It's just the right amount of stupid so far. Silly magic space pirates. Pretty darn good!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I watched Your Name and Weathering With You which apparently broke all kind of sales records in Japan. I don't get tham at all and I'm tired of high school animes.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

High schoolers being told that their personal melodrama is meaningful and framed with the weight of a serious movie will always be a massive market, and that director + his team have keyed in on a really visually striking style that makes it the visual equivalent of a plate of cookies. They're really good at making late capitalist hellworld Tokyo look like an appealing playground.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps8qwWG8Uio

The ones that skeeved me out were the ones where the protag literally abandons his reasonably stable/successful mid-20s life to go chase after a girl he had a fling with in middle school when he was 13, and the one where the late 20s teacher forms a creepy emotional affair with a 15 year-old.

At least the weather one, I'm told, ends in a suitably bonkers way-- the Romeo + Juliet pair is dumb enough to condemn all of Tokyo to a watery grave.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A lot of that type of anime is overly melodramatic nostalgia bait for people. I don't really get the appeal. But there's many anime that tackle more interesting and complex themes in a far more nuanced and interesting way.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
All anime that isnt fighty or action-y sucks

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

mind the walrus posted:

The ones that skeeved me out were the ones where the protag literally abandons his reasonably stable/successful mid-20s life to go chase after a girl he had a fling with in middle school when he was 13[/spoiler].

If you're referring to 5 Centimeters per Second, the whole message of the movie is that he DID make a mistake in being so obsessed with her, and he ruined his life in the process, and he needs to move on and let go of the past.

Being skeevy is kind of part of the point of it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Japan has so many skeevy folks that an anime saying very obvious things about not being skeevy becomes a profound work of art to them

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

But Your Name and the other one were also huge international hits. I do think the art/animation is gorgeous but the story and characters are just whatever. I was baffled to see rave reviews from mainstream press.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Anime would be better if it didn't have Japan, high school, teenagers, or girls in it, because I don't care about any of those things.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

Collapsing Farts posted:

All anime that is fighty or action-y sucks

Fixed

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

oldpainless posted:

Let’s not forget it was the American troops that single handedly stopped the Nazis and liberated the Jews tho

Russians were first on the ground in Berlin but ok

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

The best way to watch anime is to just watch the clips posted on animation blogs and sakugabooru because gently caress dragging yourself through 13 episodes of garbage for the 30 seconds worth watching.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Aramek posted:

Anime would be better if it didn't have Japan, high school, teenagers, or girls in it, because I don't care about any of those things.

So you'd like Monster, Gundam Thunderbolt, Planetes, Big O, Hellsing, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, or Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu?

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

alexandriao posted:

*the soviets

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

I'd argue that none of the people on the show would consider it their best work, even if the leads had some exceptional chemistry. Plus just about everyone who was going to have a career after the show already has. At 20 years I do think we can call it.

Firefly just isn't. The good parts aren't that good. The only episodes that stood out to me as "oh yeah that was drat good TV" were the Out of Gas one and the one where Wash gets all jealous of Mal and they have to deal with torture. Maybe the one where they decide to invade the hospital to steal medicine and there's a handful of good scenes.

Yeah a large proportion of the episodes have something blatantly missing from the narrative. I don't want to call it something as trite as 'the twist' but it's something.

Isn't there that one where they're about to be killed by space salvagers, and it is resolved by someone dangling out the airlock and shooting them with a gun?

Like there is no character growth or new understanding that allows them to win. Guy just shoots the baddie because they were always a good shot and the gang goes home.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Gripweed posted:

So you'd like Monster, Gundam Thunderbolt, Planetes, Big O, Hellsing, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, or Otherworldly Izakaya Nobu?

I've seen a few of those when I was a kid and I remember them being good, yes.

Also dubs are better. And I'm not just saying that because I have several friends in the industry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

alexandriao posted:

I believe they were being facetious, as only morons think America was responsible for winning WW2, and oldpainless ain't one of those.