Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
It gives me no pleasure to report that there is now first-party advertising malware at the top of the control panel.

Truly, Windows 10 is an Operating System.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Sapozhnik posted:

It gives me no pleasure to report that there is now first-party advertising malware at the top of the control panel.

Truly, Windows 10 is an Operating System.

are you referring to Defender, OneDrive, Skype/Teams, or something else?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Workaday Wizard posted:

are you referring to Defender, OneDrive, Skype/Teams, or something else?

the settings panel which now shows your microsoft account status (think icloud in ios settings.app) and a link to microsoft rewards

it's bad

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

in windows 11 there is also a office 365 link in the settings app, which is primarily annoying as i am logged into three separate o365 accounts already in various places in windows (including in the fully already installed office package), but since none of them are the same as the login account it still tries to sell me o365.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lol
https://twitter.com/gossithedog/status/1428458557167575049

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

welp the even/odd rule for windows strikes again.

98 good (ish), ME bad, XP good, Vista bad, 7 good, 8/8.1 bad, 10 good, 11 bad

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
windows 10 got good about 4 years after release though

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
where does win2k fall in that

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

kinda knew this was coming when the weather widget they added to windows 10 didn't respect browser defaults when viewing more info on news/forecasts if you clicked on it. just opened edge instead RIP

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
ah yes the loving weather display automatically added to Outlook by default for some reason, and the weather widget in the task bar that suddenly appeared by default for no reason. thanks michaelsoft!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

and the weather widget in the task bar that suddenly appeared by default for no reason. thanks michaelsoft!

some loving bonzai buddy rear end poo poo

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

cant wait for the cottage industry of shady third party apps full of spywares to help you switch your default browser

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Perplx posted:

windows 10 got good about 4 years after release though

and xp was improved by sp1 iirc

anyway the first tweet is talking about windows 10 so not sure you can say it’s good

such violates maxim 219, anyway, which states that your operating system is a piece of poo poo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

ah yes the loving weather display automatically added to Outlook by default for some reason, and the weather widget in the task bar that suddenly appeared by default for no reason. thanks michaelsoft!

the weather widget in the task bar that appeared to use its own font rendering because it was kind of weird and blurry

how and why the gently caress

mystes
May 31, 2006

SO DEMANDING posted:

the weather widget in the task bar that appeared to use its own font rendering because it was kind of weird and blurry

how and why the gently caress
It's not just using the normal winrt don't rendering?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

mystes posted:

It's not just using the normal winrt don't rendering?
that's the problem :xd:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

rendering: don't

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

mediaphage posted:

and xp was improved by sp1 iirc

anyway the first tweet is talking about windows 10 so not sure you can say it’s good

such violates maxim 219, anyway, which states that your operating system is a piece of poo poo

sp2 was when xp got good. spending a few years entirely focused on security and stability is good for an os.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

sp2 was when xp got good. spending a few years entirely focused on security and stability is good for an os.

sp1 mostly sticks out to me as (i think) when wzc was added which made wifi much easier to manage

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
sp2 was when they added the "new" ui for configuring wifi and wpa support

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

sp2 was when they added the "new" ui for configuring wifi and wpa support

ah. that’s wzc iirc. i just thought it was sp1

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

windows version hierarchy (OFFICIAL):

win2k
xp sp2
7 sp1
98 se
vista
me

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

if windows 2000 was still supported and had dx12 i absolutely would be using it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

vista was fine imo as long as you didn’t have something like the gma 500

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Nomnom Cookie posted:

win2k
xp sp2
7 sp1
98 se
vista
me

windows 10 should be between win 3.1 and 8.1, agreeing with everything else

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Tankakern posted:

windows 10 should be between win 3.1 and 8.1, agreeing with everything else

:hai: at the very least below 98

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

windows 7 supremacy imho. that was peak windows. vista was in fact okay (with the right hardware as others alluded to) but it didnt have the icon-based task bar yet and i found that annoying/jarring when id visit my parents who still used vista on a dell with a core 2 quad for an spectacularly long amount of time.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Nomnom Cookie posted:

win2k
xp sp2
7 sp1
98 se
vista
me

don't sign your posts

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

vista had some good ideas

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
vista final sp was basically 7 with different uac default and taskbar

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Maximum Leader posted:

vista final sp was basically 7 with different uac default and taskbar

and that loving blue 1px border

mostly good os tho. fast, on a machine with enough ram and a fast enough disk

yall forgetting 2k3 tho. mashes together the best of both 2k and xp, surpassing both

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ah yes i used win xp 64-bit for a while, that was basically 2k3 wasnt it

even have the original oem disc i think, there were some kind of program where you could swap your xp license to it

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

one thing i find obnoxious about win 10 is how i have to go into powershell to remove their Cortana app and a bunch of other stuff. it continues w/ the theme of windows making things more difficult than they need to be, to compel users to use their bad software. like the recent windows update that turned on that weather widget thing in the taskbar. so helpful

e: theme not them

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Aug 21, 2021

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Cortana seems to be going away in Windows 11 anyways: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-11-specifications#primaryR4

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

it's not that it's Cortana, idc about that trash, although it is pretty cursed. it's that there's that, and Your Phone, Maps, Get Help, and all of this other trash i have to right click on in the menu, think oh, great, no uninstaller, go to goog, find out the arbitrary one line command i need to feed into powershell because the names aren't easily discoverable or consistent, then launch and copy that into the power shell. for every piece of trash they provided and switch on for me. and they want you to pay them for this experience

e: i mean if you even have a thing in your os that's called power shell, you're already an rear end in a top hat

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

and ads

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Broken Machine posted:

e: i mean if you even have a thing in your os that's called power shell, you're already an rear end in a top hat

Ah, that's a common misconception. It's actually "Powers Hell". Yours, mine, everyone's.

Windows, when it doesn't break its start menu that can only be fixed by rebuilding the search index manually, then killing explorer.exe and starting it again, also has a particularly infuriating way of doing audio volume.

With my headphones on:
Volume 0: silent
Volume 1: not entirely completely silent
Volume 2: A bit too silent
Volume 3: Too loud
Volume 4-100: WAY TOO LOUD

No idea how to fix it. It's in the headphone port, like a headphone should be.

It works fine on Linux. :psyduck:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

cortana has still literally never once worked for me in terms of being a voice assistant. not once across multiple installs and multiple computers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Antigravitas posted:

Ah, that's a common misconception. It's actually "Powers Hell". Yours, mine, everyone's.

Windows, when it doesn't break its start menu that can only be fixed by rebuilding the search index manually, then killing explorer.exe and starting it again, also has a particularly infuriating way of doing audio volume.

With my headphones on:
Volume 0: silent
Volume 1: not entirely completely silent
Volume 2: A bit too silent
Volume 3: Too loud
Volume 4-100: WAY TOO LOUD

No idea how to fix it. It's in the headphone port, like a headphone should be.

It works fine on Linux. :psyduck:

look in the audio control panel for your device, or run the device's control panel applet and look for any gain boost. maybe the driver has stupid defaults