Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

lmao i had no idea it was getting that bad here. holy poo poo

You dont know on purpose. The news is barely fuckin talkin about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Kunabomber posted:

lol it's like a zombie decided to write an essay on how the walled compound should totally let them in

lol. covid is an op.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Kreeblah posted:

Serious answer, Republicans loving love wedge issues because it means they don't have to give their base anything that would upset their constituents (rich fuckers). Don't get me wrong. Dems love 'em, too, and for the same reasons, but they seem to be too lazy and/or incompetent to go out and find new ones.

So, a few decades ago (IIRC, part of the Civil Rights Act fallout), the GOP was looking for something to use to gently caress the Dems with, and latched onto abortion. Up until that point, a lot of churches saw it as the humane way to go instead of bringing a kid into the world who was going to have a supremely lovely life of poverty. But, they started in with the propaganda, and suddenly abortion was murdering babies.

A little while later, some stem cells were harvested from an aborted fetus and used for research purposes. Instead of seeing that as something good that came out of the abortion (since the fetal stem cells still in use for research today come from the same original line), they started fear mongering about how medicine (and vaccines) relied on baby murder.

Add in the continual whittling away of our education system in order to remove any troublesome issues like "critical thinking" and you've got a base that's ripe for being told that vaccines are evil, that they have 5G magnetic tracking chips in them, or that they turn you into a crocodile, especially if a Democrat says that they're necessary.

regruglicans playing themselves with downplaying this pandemic, especially when their base was mad enough about mango mussolini losing the election to refuse the vaccine at any cost, will never not be hilarious to me.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

silicone thrills posted:

You dont know on purpose. The news is barely fuckin talkin about it.

im so happy i discovered that qfc takes snap for grocery pickup now. dont gotta risk getting coughed on by insane people trying to buy some drat wheat thins

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
lmao

I take it back, the right wing news peeps are talkin bout it.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/rising-covid-cases-in-washington-stirs-concern-about-another-lock-down

quote:

SEATTLE -- Amid rising COVID-19 cases in the state, some residents said Sunday that they suspect another lockdown could be rolled out to help reduce the confirmed case counts and to help free up capacity in Washinton hospitals.

“Probably going to have to close things down," said Adrew Buttz, a Lacey native, who attended a Seattle Mariners game Sunday. "I would imagine."

The weekend baseball game brought a throng of fans to T-Mobile Park to watch the Mariners play the Toronto Blue Jays as the teams closed out a thrre-game series.

Buttz said he is aware of how the cases are trending, and he has heard reports about local hospitals being overrun by COVID-19 patients. He fears that large gatherings like a baseball game could be put on hold once again.

“I think I am concerned of it,” Buttz said. “I think it’s probably going to happen at some point because a lot of the guidelines aren’t being followed and some of the rules and suggestions aren’t being followed.”

More than 160 cases of COVID were linked to a music festival in Grant County that happened in late July. The Seahawks will play their first pre-season home game at Lumen Field Saturday.

But Dr. Richard Besser, former CDC director, told ABC News Sunday that shutdowns similar to what happened last year are not likely to be repeated.

“There has to be a full-on press to get people vaccinated who are not vaccinated,” Besser said. “That’s what’s going to do the most. But it’s not going to be the same type of situation that we saw a year ago.”

Besser said the rising number of vaccinations among those most vulnerable to the virus are providing hope that locdowns can be repeated despite the delta variant.

“There is a vaccine," Besser said. "And we’ve done a very good job at vaccinating people who are at the greatest risk.”

If anything, Besser says it will depend on where outbreaks are happening that determines what measures might be taken.

“I think what we’re going to see is schools closing when cases spread through schools," he said. "We’re going to see more recommendations for use of masks."

But until more people get vaccinated, it will leave people like Buttz hoping that we don't take a step backwards.

“It makes me concerned because we might lose it again soon," he said. "So, I guess we’ll see."

The governor's office said earlier last week that the state is continuing to review multiple options to figure out how to limit the spread of the virus. But officials did not specifically say if limited gatherings would be happening in the near future.

also wildfire smoke is coming back in tomorrow. lol really fuckin rules. love this hell world.

silicone thrills fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 17, 2021

Morbus
May 18, 2004

OK baizuo posted:

Entirely predictable and it just keeps happening lol, what a country

I warned you about delta bro!!!

I told you dog!

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

silicone thrills posted:

also wildfire smoke is coming back in tomorrow. lol really fuckin rules. love this hell world.

Another benefit of being respirator crew. gently caress clogging my lungs with that poo poo.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

silicone thrills posted:

lmao

I take it back, the right wing news peeps are talkin bout it.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/rising-covid-cases-in-washington-stirs-concern-about-another-lock-down

quote:

“I think I am concerned of it,” Buttz said.

You mother loving frauds.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
telling people to wear a mask a month ago, or never telling them they could take it off, might have worked. but it's too late for that now. you can't just slightly decrease the spread, you can't have it plateau right now because that's going to result in a million deaths, you need it to decrease dramatically quickly. we need to do a "lockdown," by which i mainly mean stop all these insane huge packed crowd super-spreader events at the very minimum, and probably stop all gatherings over 10 or 20 people. and close the restaurants, and the schools. so what i'm saying is we are doomed.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Why did Republicans become anitvax?

because it's a way to rile people up against the government

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I’ve been having peaceful time staying the tuck away from everyone in a nearly empty office but some gently caress just ran by coughing next to me like this huge loving compound there’s maybe five people here he had to loving come find me to cough near me you loving kidding

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

kater posted:

I’ve been having peaceful time staying the tuck away from everyone in a nearly empty office but some gently caress just ran by coughing next to me like this huge loving compound there’s maybe five people here he had to loving come find me to cough near me you loving kidding

Always be wearin that respirator. These stupid sick fucks at work will always find you.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

silicone thrills posted:

Always be wearin that respirator. These stupid sick fucks at work will always find you.

my office has a door, op. very simple

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
need to alternate between vaping and drinking ice water every 3 seconds, pissing every 30 mins due to mass water consumption. little lifehack for ya bro.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
get up to take a piss. refill the big water. come back and need to get situated again before "gettin down to business" so read the forums for a couple mins. well its time to piss again. do this for 5 hours or so then go home. easy life

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
when I was working nights I'd drink a lot of water so that the constant need to get up and take a piss would keep me awake

the alternative was taking up smoking

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stereotype posted:

"lockdown"
gatherings over 10 or 20 people

lmao

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

when I was working nights I'd drink a lot of water so that the constant need to get up and take a piss would keep me awake

the alternative was taking up smoking

yep

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
always funny. people give a little soft 2 rap knock on the door and creep their head in. oh sorry smythe i know ur so bizzy. oh yea bro im fuckin busy as hell. n**** i aint worked in a week.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Stereotype posted:

telling people to wear a mask a month ago, or never telling them they could take it off, might have worked. but it's too late for that now. you can't just slightly decrease the spread, you can't have it plateau right now because that's going to result in a million deaths, you need it to decrease dramatically quickly. we need to do a "lockdown," by which i mainly mean stop all these insane huge packed crowd super-spreader events at the very minimum, and probably stop all gatherings over 10 or 20 people. and close the restaurants, and the schools. so what i'm saying is we are doomed.

I have been made permanently mad by the total refusal by anyone at any level of power to understand how this disease actually works. You can’t tinker with it, you can’t make little adjustments based on what happened today, because today is a reflection of what was happening last month and a preview for what’s yet to come. You especially can’t tell people one thing and then tell them something else later and expect them to adjust their behavior accordingly, even if you’ve got brand new information that overwrites the old information. We needed masks this entire time, we can’t just flip a switch and get them back. Actual prevention means getting out ahead of the problem before there is an obvious problem. It should look like crazy overkill, you should be over reacting, because the calm approach has been show to not work every single time.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

poo poo gently caress covid is back. i've forgotten what to do

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

zone posted:

regruglicans playing themselves with downplaying this pandemic, especially when their base was mad enough about mango mussolini losing the election to refuse the vaccine at any cost, will never not be hilarious to me.

what the gently caress is this poo poo

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

pillsburysoldier posted:

https://www.fixthemask.com/

Or free instructions/small fee for ones from Uni of Wisconsin

https://making.engr.wisc.edu/mask-fitter/

BUY GOOD MASKS. STOP USING PLASTIC JUNK WITH lovely MASKS TO MAKE SLIGHTLY LESS lovely MASKS.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
If you don't go out for brunch then the virus wins

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The place I got my vaccines in march and April literally have 100% availability. You can get an appointment any time between now and the 30th.

I'm less than 4 months out from my second shot. I work from home, wear n95 masks, and stay away from folks. I'm down for 6 months out, but less than 4 sounds like a lot.

I got my first shots at about the same time as you, and I got my booster two weeks ago. I decided to get it early for the reasons I mentioned in my post.

Syncopation
Feb 21, 2020

zone posted:

holy wisdom shitballs

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I see it was finally time to get a booster thread.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I can't tell you what percentage that is for covid or anything else. I can tell you that it's happened already for measles in my lifetime. Why we suddenly can't kill off a highly communicable disease when we've already killed one off in my lifetime is left to the reader to figure out.

I think of the estimates for delta's r0, with it's breakthrough potential, suggested that we'd need about 108% of the population vaccinated to eliminate it purely through vaccinations.

I did my part to help achieve that goal.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

1. I think it's a little preemptive to speak so conclusively on these timelines

2. I specifically think eight months for J&J is a little optimistic

3. The way it's phrased makes it sound like protection just stops after the six months, which is a dangerous way of conveying the information

4. While I appreciate that they're setting up the narrative for acceptance of boosters, at 10% fully-vaxxed in the PH it doesn't seem like we should be doing that yet

(other news today was that two guys got arrested for taking a shot of Moderna after already having been fully-vaxxed with Sinovac. That makes the third booster arrest so far)

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Sweet_Joke_Nectar posted:

pho bac? we’re all gonna die on that cute little red boat
lol yeah the 'sup shop' black building on that lot

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

open inslee

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

gradenko_2000 posted:

3. The way it's phrased makes it sound like protection just stops after the six months, which is a dangerous way of conveying the information

4. While I appreciate that they're setting up the narrative for acceptance of boosters, at 10% fully-vaxxed in the PH it doesn't seem like we should be doing that yet

(other news today was that two guys got arrested for taking a shot of Moderna after already having been fully-vaxxed with Sinovac. That makes the third booster arrest so far)

How the gently caress are they getting a year for AZ? I thought we were already seeing efficacy issues with it a couple months ago.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Kreeblah posted:

Another benefit of being respirator crew. gently caress clogging my lungs with that poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kreeblah posted:

How the gently caress are they getting a year for AZ? I thought we were already seeing efficacy issues with it a couple months ago.

hell if I know. Again, the J&J at eight months is also suss, and Sinovac at less than six is also an rear end-pull AFAIK

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

Who had AZ more than a year ago to get that number? At least we had those Israel studies for the Pfizer 6 month protection decay. What the hell are they basing 12 months on?

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

jetz0r posted:

BUY GOOD MASKS. STOP USING PLASTIC JUNK WITH lovely MASKS TO MAKE SLIGHTLY LESS lovely MASKS.
for loving real
get a half mask 3m hf-800
if not get a loving kf94 or kn95 or n95
don't gently caress with these gimmicky rear end masks

https://kollecteusa.com/
https://behealthyusa.net/
https://www.zoro.com/
https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/00324574

refer to the loving spreadsheet
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12Ss6gA8ULL-2gxh4tWy12gFjTB078ba2KuxeqI9yz70/edit#gid=846302970

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
popped my vape coil and oh my god. but then? roll a new coil out of wire and cotton takes 10 mins. boom brand new again. 2-3 cents of mats. amazing. amazing. amazing.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

any particularly cheap place to buy filters for these DIY cube fans?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

What's the main vaccine over there? I'm purely guessing here, but if they're in the middle of trying to get people to take the AZ, that could just be a naked attempt to keep people from saying "well gently caress this it's not worth it if I have to go back that often"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

It's incredible how we were handed a cheat code such that everyone in this forum, doomers through and through, sighed a sigh of relief, and then... nobody loving got it. lmao. hahahahhahaha.

welcome back

this is a pretty cool design, can i get it on a shirt? lol