Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

half-mask respirator crew of yesteryear checking in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Tzen posted:

half-mask respirator crew of yesteryear checking in

That's cool as gently caress, where did you find that? That one on the right is so similar to what we're still doing, I have so many questions about it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Real Mean Queen posted:

What's the main vaccine over there? I'm purely guessing here, but if they're in the middle of trying to get people to take the AZ, that could just be a naked attempt to keep people from saying "well gently caress this it's not worth it if I have to go back that often"

The vast majority of the Philippine vaccine supply is Sinovac, though by now we have all of the brands. My friends and family have received an assortment, to the point where I personally know different individuals who have received Sinovac (myself), Pfizer, AZ, J&J, and Moderna.

I don't think it's a "we want to encourage people to take AZ" thing, because most of our vaccine hesitancy comes from all the media propaganda portraying Sinovac as being effectively sugar-water, and vaxx sites lacking any takers if people know it's Sinovac that's being given out, and conversely any "Western" vaccine gets swarmed... including J&J being preferred over Sinovac!

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Real Mean Queen posted:

That's cool as gently caress, where did you find that? That one on the right is so similar to what we're still doing, I have so many questions about it
Found it here,
COVID-19’s Best Analog Is the 1930s Dust Bowl, Not the 1918 Flu
July 21, 2020
https://www.globalhealthnow.org/2020-07/covid-19s-historical-precedent-isnt-1918-flu-its-1930s-dust-bowl

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--wAw7gBQxU

My morning jam now. Just get to watch my totally insane family from the safety of the other side of the world.

South Korea: School children return to classrooms from summer vacations in middle of raging pandemic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFIauaoq5sE

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Real Mean Queen posted:

At a guess I'm going to say they're German WW2 gas masks
I could be wrong though, they just give that vibe

e: did an image search and it's coming up as a 1930s dustbowl picture

Helith fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Aug 17, 2021

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Seattle police officers wear protective gauze face masks, 1918.
Time Life Pictures / Getty Images

lol SPD had better mask usage 100 years ago

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

jetz0r posted:

I think of the estimates for delta's r0, with it's breakthrough potential, suggested that we'd need about 108% of the population vaccinated to eliminate it purely through vaccinations.

I did my part to help achieve that goal.

maybe if we just incentivize people a little bit more we will hit that target. i suggest telling people that if they are vaccinated and sick they're allowed to just keep going out in public.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

jetz0r posted:

BUY GOOD MASKS. STOP USING PLASTIC JUNK WITH lovely MASKS TO MAKE SLIGHTLY LESS lovely MASKS.

nah man I gotta instructables my way into getting permanent organ damage to save seventy five cents

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It's so obvious they wanted Enter Sandman for this, lol

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
"Are you majorly bummed out that you caught the deadly pandemic and now feel off fleek? still need to go to your job because your rent is due and your way uncool manager is still scheduling you for shifts? well pokemon go get vaccinated! then you can party like it's 2019!" *image of the smiling DNC chair Tom Perez giving a thumbs up*

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Real Mean Queen posted:

dived deeper and came up on this,
https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/bert-garai

Dustbowl Masks
Three girls modelling various dustbowl masks to be worn in areas where the amount of dust in the air causes breathing difficulties, circa 1935. (Photo by Bert Garai/Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Send kids back to school with the mickey mouse gasmasks

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

CODChimera posted:

poo poo gently caress covid is back. i've forgotten what to do

die

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stereotype posted:

"Are you majorly bummed out that you caught the deadly pandemic and now feel off fleek? still need to go to your job because your rent is due and your way uncool manager is still scheduling you for shifts? well pokemon go get vaccinated! then you can party like it's 2019!" *image of the smiling DNC chair Tom Perez giving a thumbs up*

Learn 2 code bro

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Palladium posted:

Learn 2 code blue bro

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

code blue no matter who

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

:goatdrugs:

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"

cenotaph posted:

It's so obvious they wanted Enter Sandman for this, lol

how loving dare you impugn the musical talents of John Carpenter

this is the worst take I have read in the Covid thread, by far

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

One community case of COVID in New Zealand and the whole country is in hard lockdown for minimum 3 days (7 days in the areas the guy visited while infectious). Proper lockdown too, no businesses open, no contact with people outside of the household, no leaving your local area and no driving except to get food. On the one hand annoying that I can't go buy treat food but on the other hand nice to live somewhere that is still willing to massively crack down at the first sign of trouble, not that it will do us a lot of good ultimately with the rest of the world determined to use their bodies to soup up the ultimate biological weapon.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Blackhawk posted:

One community case of COVID in New Zealand and the whole country is in hard lockdown for minimum 3 days (7 days in the areas the guy visited while infectious). Proper lockdown too, no businesses open, no contact with people outside of the household, no leaving your local area and no driving except to get food. On the one hand annoying that I can't go buy treat food but on the other hand nice to live somewhere that is still willing to massively crack down at the first sign of trouble, not that it will do us a lot of good ultimately with the rest of the world determined to use their bodies to soup up the ultimate biological weapon.

suck and gently caress while you can

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MagazineAmplify/status/1427191745284956163?s=19
https://twitter.com/MagazineAmplify/status/1427194838529630210?s=19

https://twitter.com/MagazineAmplify/status/1427520823645007875?s=19

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

crepeface posted:

https://twitter.com/minhealthnz/status/1427435940159520772?s=20

quote:

They found doors to rooms on opposite sides of the corridor were opened at the same time for about 3-5 seconds on four occasions between July 19 and 27, when a case in the room opposite would have been considered infectious.

lol with 3-5 seconds of doors being opened. china welding doors shut had the right idea.

(this is a different one to the case of in-community transmission)

How the gently caress do they think ærosols work?

The simultaneous door opening is a red herring like the rubbish bin lid was. Ærosols get into that corridor and stay there for hours.

It’s tragic that New Zealand is leading the world in this and they’re still loving up in ways that comedy forum posters have been aware of since spring of 2020.

If they don’t want to keep loving up everyone’s lives and their economy on the regular, they need to quarantine people in cabins or motels with no indoor corridors through which air can communicate from one denizen’s space to another’s.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

The vast majority of the Philippine vaccine supply is Sinovac, though by now we have all of the brands. My friends and family have received an assortment, to the point where I personally know different individuals who have received Sinovac (myself), Pfizer, AZ, J&J, and Moderna.

I don't think it's a "we want to encourage people to take AZ" thing, because most of our vaccine hesitancy comes from all the media propaganda portraying Sinovac as being effectively sugar-water, and vaxx sites lacking any takers if people know it's Sinovac that's being given out, and conversely any "Western" vaccine gets swarmed... including J&J being preferred over Sinovac!

from what I’ve been told each province in the Philippines was told that they’re on their own so each province bought vaccines independently and has a different menu of vaccines

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

You know the lockdown measures in Sydney are getting a little extreme, supermarkets trying anything to stop people from browsing now

https://twitter.com/GuardianAus/status/1427548741335146498

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

This poor fucker, remember when it was 6 days?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Tzen posted:

dived deeper and came up on this,
https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/bert-garai

Dustbowl Masks
Three girls modelling various dustbowl masks to be worn in areas where the amount of dust in the air causes breathing difficulties, circa 1935. (Photo by Bert Garai/Keystone/Hulton Archive/Getty Images)

Thank you, that’s fascinating.

So in the 1930s, we’ve seen gas masks in war and know how they work, and we’re probably talking like metal and rubber and leather with some cloth straps for fasteners, right? I know plastics existed but I don’t know if there were a bunch of them around being used in stuff like that. Man that thing must have been heavy. I wonder what the lowest tech filter medium you could get away with for that application would have been, just a bunch of dense fabric? Something clever with charcoal? I just looked up what they were doing for gas mask cartridges in the war, but those were designed as countermeasures against certain gasses and thus focus pretty heavily on the chemistry end of things and seemingly not too much on particulates. Also, this:

quote:

a Canadian medical officer recommended troops to place on their mouth and nose a thick fabric soaked up with water, baking soda and urine. Ammonia contained in urine reacted with chlorine to avoid chlorine clouds effects.

Now I’m wondering what the best mask I could make would look like with that tech level, assuming I had access to craftsmen who could do the complicated parts for me, and I’m realizing it would suuuuuck. I have no idea how to approach the exhaust port.

Sphyre
Jun 14, 2001

feels like only 4 days ago

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Helith posted:

You know the lockdown measures in Sydney are getting a little extreme, supermarkets trying anything to stop people from browsing now

https://twitter.com/GuardianAus/status/1427548741335146498

if anyone is surprised by a dangerous reptile showing up at any given place, and any given time, in Australia then they deserve to be constricted or envenomed

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Real Mean Queen posted:

Thank you, that’s fascinating.

So in the 1930s, we’ve seen gas masks in war and know how they work, and we’re probably talking like metal and rubber and leather with some cloth straps for fasteners, right? I know plastics existed but I don’t know if there were a bunch of them around being used in stuff like that. Man that thing must have been heavy. I wonder what the lowest tech filter medium you could get away with for that application would have been, just a bunch of dense fabric? Something clever with charcoal? I just looked up what they were doing for gas mask cartridges in the war, but those were designed as countermeasures against certain gasses and thus focus pretty heavily on the chemistry end of things and seemingly not too much on particulates. Also, this:

Now I’m wondering what the best mask I could make would look like with that tech level, assuming I had access to craftsmen who could do the complicated parts for me, and I’m realizing it would suuuuuck. I have no idea how to approach the exhaust port.

Natural rubber has been used for a long time. Vulcanization came about in the mid nineteenth century that solves a lot of your problems. A lot of the things we would make out of synthetic polymer now were made out of hard rubber then.

Exhaust valve shouldn’t be a problem. Some Great War gas masks had them. I don’t know how exactly they were constructed, but one of the medieval solutions for a valve seal is greased leather like you see in brass musical instruments today.

The particulate filter is another question. The electrostatically‐charged, melt‐blown polypropylene used today is totally out of reach. I do know that some early industrial respirators used asbestos fibres and, well, if handled properly that will kill you slower than Son of SARS.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

This is exactly the “follow the science” stuff that I can’t stand. If kids are getting sickened at playgrounds regularly enough that a scientific study can be done that so clearly lays out the problem that this lady will actually listen, that means a bunch of kids already got hurt. The other way to do it is to not have playgrounds for a while, and then the worst case scenario is that we were overly cautious. Too much is better than not enough.

By its nature, the science is going to be following behind real world conditions. Behaving like a total moron until the science tells you that you’re being a moron and you should stop is not a rational plan. Plus, how often does a scientific study actually get some lovely lib to modify their behavior in a way that inconveniences them?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
i've stuck in the novavax trial this entire time, but if they don't figure out a way to get me boosters in september, i guess i'll have to drop out to get another max titer. however, they are running a huge good massive bosomy booster trial in australia, so maybe they will add one here.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Solarin posted:

code blue no matter who

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Real Mean Queen posted:

This is exactly the “follow the science” stuff that I can’t stand. If kids are getting sickened at playgrounds regularly enough that a scientific study can be done that so clearly lays out the problem that this lady will actually listen, that means a bunch of kids already got hurt. The other way to do it is to not have playgrounds for a while, and then the worst case scenario is that we were overly cautious. Too much is better than not enough.

By its nature, the science is going to be following behind real world conditions. Behaving like a total moron until the science tells you that you’re being a moron and you should stop is not a rational plan. Plus, how often does a scientific study actually get some lovely lib to modify their behavior in a way that inconveniences them?

hmm no hundreds if not thousands of children should die before you can tell me what to do.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hayh8UMJSFs

gently caress

This clip from MSA’s “The Air We Breathe” ends just when it’s getting good.

I don’t have time for this CDC video. Coming back to it later.

e: Boring. Don’t bother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZEf-tzko0A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5DnTpLmerQ

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Aug 17, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

I loving HATE AUSTRALIANS SO MUCH gently caress

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

gangrene setting in

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Moderna works and doesn't show the same degradation of function over time that Pfizer does, correct?