Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

PinheadSlim posted:

It's almost always better to deal with things without the cops and gently caress the goons whose first thought for a minor inconvenience is "call the loving police" lmao
To be fair, sounds like op is British, so his police call wouldn't have ended with a dead black person. It's not a terrible use for a sane police system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Slugworth posted:

To be fair, sounds like op is British, so his police call wouldn't have ended with a dead black person. It's not a terrible use for a sane police system.

I'm reliably informed that if you call the police in Britain because you saw someone who made you clutch your pearls they will tell you to gently caress off.

Serjeant Snubbin
Feb 1, 2002

Pillbug

BitBasher posted:

There is very little chance any average driver could have responded to that before impact.
Speaking of average driver response times, I drove a rental car on the weekend and that was interesting. It had a bunch more driver "assistance" features. Some of them - not so great.

For example, the accelerator pedal was run through some sort of filter where, when I pressed the accelerator, it would have a think about life and dawdle around before slowly increasing the speed of the vehicle. It was slapped under the guise of "ECO mode" which is a great way to give a bad reputation to driving in a fuel efficient manner.

Another time, on a very tight hairpin going over a mountain pass the dashboard chimed and flashed up a message: "WARNING: BEWARE OF ICE". Quite clever that it had noticed the drop in temperature below zero and that I was on a road known for icy conditions. Not so clever distracting me and pulling my attention to an unusual message when I was half a metre from a cliff and/or crevasse.

But the best time was when I was following a line of cars and we came upon a tractor. The tractor pulled off to the shoulder to allow us to pass. It was on the outside of a curve. As I came up the sensors saw that there was a much slower vehicle nearby (the tractor) and honked out a giant warning on the dashboard: "BRAKE! BRAKE!!!" As an average driver I did have enough time to ignore the message and continue passing the tractor. If I had needed to brake there really wouldn't have been enough time and the car should have braked for itself. First time I'd ever seen the message. Not much time to process and respond that at all.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

erosion posted:

or, don't park on such a narrow and ridiculously busy street

tbh if it's that busy it shouldn't be marked for parking. It's better to cut off problems before they can happen.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sagebrush posted:

this was posted on imgur with the consensus that the person opening the door is at fault for not paying more attention to her mirrors.

https://i.imgur.com/RPiTEOQ.mp4

i contend that the person driving the car that hit a stationary object is the one at fault but what do i know

I try to do this when I'm parked on a street:
https://www.rospa.com/road-safety/advice/cyclists-and-motorcyclists/dutch-reach

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Slugworth posted:

Black people are more than twice as likely as white people to die in police custody in England and Wales. It's why we've got our very own version of BLM.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Same in Australia as well with first nation people dying in custody at exorbitant rates.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

SniperWoreConverse posted:

tbh if it's that busy it shouldn't be marked for parking. It's better to cut off problems before they can happen.

No, what you do is separate the parking spot and the driving lane with some sort of buffer zone!

PORBELM SLOEVD!!! :pseudo:

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I once helped a child cyclist (age 12-14ish?) who was calling out Help! in the middle of a crowded street, in front of busy stores. Someone had door'd him as per this discussion, except he's a cyclist and not a car so he lost, hard. He was straddling his cycle with a chunk of his thigh missing, with a lovely mottled lump of skin and flesh hanging off of a nearby parked car. The guy had door'd the kid then walked into the fish&chip store, not even caring to clean his car.

I hung around until the ambulance arrived keeping the kid calm, but ofc the first things the parents do when they roll up is cry out "Oh my god!" which sets the boy off again. I didn't hang around to gawk, but the father walked into the store after it was pointed out who did it, and I hope he commited a few felonies in there.

Look before opening your loving door.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Nenonen posted:

No, what you do is separate the parking spot and the driving lane with some sort of buffer zone!

PORBELM SLOEVD!!! :pseudo:

Is that in Victoria Melbourne (Pretty sure it is)?

OSHA related to cycling at least: a good video on how London hosed up bicycles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gohSeOYheXg

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

it's whatever

if the car door guy wants to die, let 'em

covid antivaxxers have dramatically altered how much energy I'll spend on stressing over people who want to hurt themselves

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

C-SPAM is thatta way->

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

It’s in the opposite direction from the pile of garbage.

Checks out.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

champagne posting posted:

"I'll just open my door then look if anyone is coming at me".

In the Netherlands I learned a trick for never getting in this situation like the idiot in the video: Grab the door handle with the arm furthest away from the door so you swing your torso to look in the direction of incoming traffic / cyclists. It's very helpful for not getting in a 100% preventable accident like the one experienced by this salt of the earth.

The person that hit the stationary car is at fault. When the roads are tight in town, you have to be ready for a car door to open. You watch mirrors and doors as you drive and you slow the hell down when you see any parked car crack their door.

Customary is to open the door slightly before you get out. The driver coming up should come to a stop to let you out. You never drive so fast that you can't stop to let someone get in or out of their car.

If people driving on that road typically drive that fast, there should not be parking or they should drop a lane and put in angled parking.

Not hitting a parked car is driving 101. You are the one moving. You are responsible.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

mostlygray posted:

If people driving on that road typically drive that fast, there should not be parking or they should drop a lane and put in angled parking.

Not hitting a parked car is driving 101. You are the one moving. You are responsible.

They didn't hit a parked car. They hit a door that was opened in to their lane of travel. The speed you want them to be traveling would be 5 mph.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Stuff like that is part of the reason I prefer permanent running lights front and rear. You can tell from the rear lights turning off when someone's just switched off their car and are about to exit. (In some cases at least)

Ola fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Aug 17, 2021

crusty
Apr 16, 2015

Crustacean
So many incorrect opinions on the car door thing. The car driving did not hit a stationary object, it hit an object that was moved into the road in front of it.

e: yes, finally! ^^

Anyway I have a dog in this fight - as a kid I was riding my bike past a car when the driver opened the door without looking. I flew over the handlebars and over the car door, landed in the middle of the road somehow without breaking any bones and somehow without being run over by the Ferrari that was coming up behind me. I did rip my thumbnail clean off though.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
Can car door opening chat please end soon

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Splode posted:

Lets talk about cardoor not open chat:

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

mostlygray posted:

The person that hit the stationary car is at fault. When the roads are tight in town, you have to be ready for a car door to open. You watch mirrors and doors as you drive and you slow the hell down when you see any parked car crack their door.

Customary is to open the door slightly before you get out. The driver coming up should come to a stop to let you out. You never drive so fast that you can't stop to let someone get in or out of their car.

They didn’t hit the car, they hit the door that got wrongly opened into their path.

The door opener is at fault.

Source: this was literally my job for several years.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/DVNBWXz.gifv

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Definitely the fault of the parked car. That driver should have used their loving mirrors, and could likely have seen the car that was approaching.
As a second safety factor, first open the door only slightly to give the approaching car a heads up and a decent chance to swerve.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

mostlygray posted:

Did you at least enjoy your fish and chips?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The simple way to think about it is who would be at fault if the parked car was driving into the lane of travel? The moving car usually has right of way and that shouldn't change whether they are pulling out or opening a door. Both are cases where a vehicle is in secondary lane about to move into the primary lane of travel.

There's a lot of people who were taught hitting anything with your front end puts you at fault and it's a good rule of thumb I guess but misses a lot of subtlety about right of way.

Atticus_1354 posted:

They didn't hit a parked car. They hit a door that was opened in to their lane of travel. The speed you want them to be traveling would be 5 mph.
But at a certain level maybe they're not wrong even if (especially if) it worsens parking hell and inspires public transport solutions.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009

Splode posted:

Yeah, it needs to come to a close.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

also

https://i.imgur.com/SZiivyn.mp4

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
person in the car opening door should have double checked the mirrors, but the black car was driving too fast. one person caused the accident but either person could have prevented it by being more safe and attentive, and at the end of the day there's less satisfaction than being in an accident that wasn't your fault than just getting home on time in one piece

vvv it looked like it was going faster than the first car to me :shrug: sorry for continuing the derail

Mozi fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Aug 17, 2021

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Mozi posted:

but the black car was driving too fast.

Based on what? It seems to be going the same speed as the other vehicles.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Splode posted:

Ban Your Plan Look Car Door

Butterwagon
Mar 21, 2010

Lookit that stupid ass-hole!

LifeSunDeath posted:

How is this legal :psypop:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Diggus Bickus posted:

the man who put it on the market is worth billions, that's how it's legal.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

History Comes Inside! posted:

Source: this was literally my job for several years.

Opening car doors into traffic, or running into open doors?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Opening car doors into traffic, or running into open doors?

lol

Yellow Yoshi
Apr 29, 2020

Figure 1: Mario's weird dog
i want tesla derail back, i tire of this derail

LifeSunDeath posted:

thank you god

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So do we post our OSHA content in the Tesla thread or

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Is this Russia? It looks like Russia.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Just a quick glance at my state's vehicle code shows the lady who opened the door into traffic would be at fault here.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

PhotoKirk posted:

Is this Russia? It looks like Russia.

Finnish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydxKfCdOsz8

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Diggus Bickus posted:

As a timg I thought that was a side-on diagram of a toilet with like an engine or something in the tank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Are the audible bangs at the end of video, when camera has turned away, cops shooting the black guy now that smoke doesn't obstruct aim?