Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Been binging Olympic weightlifting replays and Jesus Christ how are the judges so bad and the commentary so annoying

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

MikeCrotch posted:

Been binging Olympic weightlifting replays and Jesus Christ how are the judges so bad and the commentary so annoying

Enjoy it while it lasts. Olympic Lifting might not be an Olympic sport in a decade.

E: https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/olympics/ct-olympics-weightlifting-dropped-20210728-6sgfldz5rfaa7ht5p274u65ala-story.html

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
mmm hit a ten pound overhead press PR on Wednesday and a twelve pound bench press PR today. All the pressing.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My metal plates arrived last week and I was gonna be a good boy and just keep following my program and not do any PR testing.

Aaanyways that lasted for a few days and I tested today. After my top work set of 275lb I wanted to see if I could do 405. And I could! Pretty stoked about that.

Then I tested my max push ups and got a much less cool result of 15.

I am probably like 280 lbs right now, which explains in part both how I can get over 400 on the deadlift with just like two months of barbell training and also partly explains the dogshit push up number.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

You mean it might not be an Olympic sport in 3 years lol. No chance it makes it to Paris in my books, IWF is rotten top to bottom

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
Should say, even if it gets to 2024 it'll be hosed up - IOC have already cut the number of athletes so while there are 10 weight classes only 5 will be in the Olympics (was 7 this year) so you'll have to watch great athletes either not go because their weight class isn't there or have to massively cut or bulk to get into an eligible class and lift horribly like Arley Mendes and Mattie Rogers did

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Man, there's something so nice about lifting after getting over a cold. You feel so strong, even if you're just doing your usual amounts.

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Make strongman an olympic sport.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

moctopus posted:

One-THOUSAND pound tire flip.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

moctopus posted:

Think WADA might have something to say lol

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

MikeCrotch posted:

Think WADA might have something to say lol

Strongman might be the cleanest olympic sport.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Big burly dudes and ladies at the Olympics loving deadlifting cars and picking up oddly shaped objects from the ground and tossing kegs and poo poo as high as they can.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Considering the first modern Olympics had was was basically the circus dumbbell as an event strongman isn't that far off.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

moctopus posted:

Strongman might be the cleanest olympic sport.

Was watching the Sika Strength strength lads do commentary on the Olympics and it was extremely funny to watch the go off on the commenters on how EVERYONE at the Olympics, down to ping pong players, benefit from doing steroids

Tennis is the dirtiest (in terms of drugs) sport that most people think is clean, golf is also up there

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I started counting calories today

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Please kill me.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

currently using MyFitnessPal anyone have anything they like better, seems okay so far.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Cronometer is highly regarded as it tracks micronutrients as well, although I still use mfp :effort:

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

I changed my mindset wrt to lifting. Last year I was fully concentrating on increasing strength to see big numbers. Now I am just lifting for the pure enjoyment of the gym and I don't plan on looking back. Tbh I'm probably getting more out of it now than ever before. Also lol@myself for not additionally focusing on core before, cause I get to see abdominal improvement too. Used to joke my core was made of pizza and marshmallow, and now it's made of pizza, marshmallow, and 5% muscle.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

bird with big dick posted:

I started counting calories today

Me: "I'm ~15% body fat. Maybe I can lose like three pounds and put on some muscle."

Also me: "WHY THE gently caress DOES EVERYTHING HAVE CALORIES?"

Me: * Googling * "Calories in a cup of rice. Huh... That's not so bad..."

*cooks a cup of rice and eats the whole thing in one sitting*

Me: * later * " Wait a minute..." * Googles calories in one cup of uncooked rice * "SON OF A BITCH, I JUST ATE LIKE 770 CALORIES FROM RICE ALONE."

E: Why the gently caress would the Google result for the calories in a cup of rice be for a cup of cooked rice? Is cooking a cup of rice and eating the result all at once not something people routinely do? A cup of the cooked stuff is such a small serving!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

There's no real good calorie tracking app unfortunately. MFP used to be a lot better before they bloated the gently caress out of it and filled it with ads. Now it runs like poo poo and take twice as many presses to get your logging done

Chronometer is fine, but the database is way worse which get frustrating fast.

GeauxSteve
Feb 26, 2004
Nubzilla

hey eventually you'll get to the point where you can estimate how many calories are in everything you ever eat and you'll think about it constantly and you'll always be doing math and you'll never enjoy going out for cheeseburgers and fries again because you know its 1200 calories or maybe I'm just projecting

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Batterypowered7 posted:

Me: "I'm ~15% body fat. Maybe I can lose like three pounds and put on some muscle."

Also me: "WHY THE gently caress DOES EVERYTHING HAVE CALORIES?"

Me: * Googling * "Calories in a cup of rice. Huh... That's not so bad..."

*cooks a cup of rice and eats the whole thing in one sitting*

Me: * later * " Wait a minute..." * Googles calories in one cup of uncooked rice * "SON OF A BITCH, I JUST ATE LIKE 770 CALORIES FROM RICE ALONE."

E: Why the gently caress would the Google result for the calories in a cup of rice be for a cup of cooked rice? Is cooking a cup of rice and eating the result all at once not something people routinely do? A cup of the cooked stuff is such a small serving!

How much is a cup of cooked rice in grams? cause ususally I make myself about 100g of rice per meal, if I have rice.
Also don't you eat some veggies and meats/protein with your rice?
Sounds very dull otherwise, just a plain cup o'rice.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Helios Grime posted:

How much is a cup of cooked rice in grams? cause ususally I make myself about 100g of rice per meal, if I have rice.
Also don't you eat some veggies and meats/protein with your rice?
Sounds very dull otherwise, just a plain cup o'rice.

Oh yeah, I add stuff to the rice.

Let's see:

"A cup of raw, uncooked, rice will weigh about 180 grams. A cup of cooked rice, that's been boiled or steamed, will weigh about 200 grams."

A cup of raw, uncooked rice makes about three cups of cooked rice, so I'll eat like 600g of rice in one sitting, plus some meat and veg.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
that's a lot of fuckin rice

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Is that like the only big meal you eat at a time?

Or is this like your normal amount of rice for a serving?

Edit: I thought I was a big eater (I'm like 6'3", 210lbs) but drat, almost 200g of rice(uncooked) per serving is a lot of rice

Helios Grime fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Aug 17, 2021

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*
A cup of rice lasts me, my wife, and our son 2-3 meals if I'm not trying to put on weight.

Depending on the fat content of the other poo poo we're eating.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

+1 for chronometer - the database is not as big but I feel like it's more usable.

Stuck on my back hyperventilating yesterday after deadlift yesterday like an asthmatic turtle. Barely got 11@400 though with sub 171 morning bodyweight which I'm happy with. I think I'm down 8-9 pounds over the last 3 months and I'm only losing pressing strength. Think my squat is actually up.

Thinking of doing another meet maybe a weight class down. My first one was at 181 but I think I miiight be able to make 163.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

If you're only 210 you're not a big eater I bet I could eat 1000 grams of rice.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

First calorie counting day went better than expected. I'm not gonna worry about nutrients at all for the first week and just concentrate on easy to prepare and easy to count.

Had coffee for breakfast, Costco egg bites for lunch, and 8 oz of brisket and 1.5 cups of corn for dinner. Says 1320 calories total but I think the generic brisket numbers are a little light, the piece I ate was kinda fatty so I'd guess maybe 1500ish.

Had a kind of similar surprise to the rice though when I realized how much cream I put in my morning jug of coffee. 200 calories yesterday but based off that I bet there's been days where I consumed 500 calories of heavy cream. Might have to look into a lighter alternative.

Felt kinda puny during my workout but I was on vacation for 9 days and I also switched from doing 3 working weight sets to 4 working weight sets. I took one of my hand weights on vacation though so was at least able to do some basic stuff plus my physical therapy type lifts. Couldn't do presses in my sister in laws house cause their ceiling is too goddamn low.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

I'm more of a black with sugar guy but I've tried it and whey makes a decent coffee creamer. Especially if you're tight on calories.

I think Calgary barbell has a video on it.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Pillbug
Get better coffee so you can drink it black or just put a dash of milk in it instead of cream?

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Yeah just use whole milk and better coffee. Ween the milk down. I drink my hot coffee with milk and sugar, but for some reason I only drink iced coffee black. Maybe that will work for you.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Helios Grime posted:

Get better coffee so you can drink it black or just put a dash of milk in it instead of cream?

no

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Helios Grime posted:

Is that like the only big meal you eat at a time?

Or is this like your normal amount of rice for a serving?

Edit: I thought I was a big eater (I'm like 6'3", 210lbs) but drat, almost 200g of rice(uncooked) per serving is a lot of rice

I guess that's usually the biggest thing I eat, yeah. I'll have like a bowl of cereal (this or this), cup of milk in the bowl, or maybe two packets of oatmeal (60g a piece) made with a cup of milk for breakfast, sandwich made from a can of tuna for lunch (mayo, whole wheat bread), big rear end portion of rice with something to top it with for dinner, and a protein shake somewhere in between.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
Potatoes are awesome for dieting, insanely filling for the calories. I really love the Xtreme wellness tortillas too, 80 calories for a burrito sized wrap so it opens up filling options a lot.

There's a sick weight loss thread and cooking thread in YLLS

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Argh, and benching brings me right back down to earth. 9 lbs of bodyweight lost cost me 25 lbs on est 1rm ffs.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Jinh posted:

Potatoes are awesome for dieting, insanely filling for the calories. I really love the Xtreme wellness tortillas too, 80 calories for a burrito sized wrap so it opens up filling options a lot.

There's a sick weight loss thread and cooking thread in YLLS

I like to get a big baking potato and swallow it whole, really sits in your stomach and makes you feel full.

I was surprised, 22 cal/oz for potato vs 47 for something like chicken breast, I wouldn't have guessed that. I guess you just gotta be careful not to go nuts with butter and cheese and sour cream or whatever.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever
Work cafeteria is open again. Now I can go to the pay by weight station and ask for a pound of chicken with no sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I moved weights from point A to point B and back to point A today. Various times, even, and in different ways.