Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I finally loving did the thing I said I was going to do two years ago and I got my motorcycle license. Did a 2 day MSS class on a CB300R and really enjoyed it. Now it's time to get one on my own, and the market is just as hosed for bikes as it is for cars. I'm in Buffalo, NY and our options for dealerships is abysmal. Facebook Marketplace is pretty bare and for most of what's there, people want stupid money for their half broken garbage. I've resigned myself to spending $5k on a new bike and hoping the resale value won't tank when poo poo goes back to whatever the new normal will be. Mostly interested in small sport bikes or nakeds.

Here's what look to be my reasonable options, AFAICT:

https://www.weaverfever.com/New-Inventory-2021-Benelli-Motorcycle-Scooter-Leoncino-Bob-Weaver-Motorsports-Marine-Inc-10390121?ref=list
https://www.weaverfever.com/New-Inventory-2021-Benelli-Motorcycle-Scooter-302S-Bob-Weaver-Motorsports-Marine-Inc-10900247?ref=list
https://hebelers.com/Lockport-New-York-14094/Used-2009-Kawasaki-Versys/VDP/d7e873e7-249c-4800-a1ab-fde12bf261ed
https://hollinkmotorsports.com/Motorcycles-Yamaha-YZF-R3-ABS-2021-Spencerport-NY-3b53106f-f158-4c41-9623-ad7b00fbe7eb
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/579246860104592
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/242524750828355

Any of these look like not-idiot options? I have the money to pay cash for any of them but obviously don't want to burn it for no good reason.

Edit: definitely-idiot comedy option: https://www.weaverfever.com/Pre-own...783312?ref=list

Double Edit: Should mention that my use cases are 1 hour sunday-drive type deals possibly involving a coffee shop. I don't commute and I don't have any interest in doing long distance touring so long-term comfort or ability to carry stuff isn't a factor at all. I'm also in my 30s and not the suicidal moron I was in my 20s so I won't be going 100mph or even really going on any highways if I don't absolutely have to. This might change in a couple years, but I'm happy buying a new bike if and when that happens.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Anything with a Benelli badge is equivalent to burning your money in an oil drum. They are awful Chinese bikes with a fancy badge. Those other two are great! The monster would hurt you badly but you know that. If you stick to Japanese bikes you basically can't go wrong, no european bike offers any meaningful advantage to a learner and most of them come with a catch or three.

E: if you're going to ride that little, get a convertible instead. I'm not being a dick, it literally isn't enough seat time to learn anything and you'll just be perpetually on the brink of disaster. The solution is to ride like 6x more.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"Those other two" being the Versys and the Yamaha from the dealership or the Ninja and the CBR from FB Marketplace?

I work from home so I could probably ride 3-4x / week. I just never need to and have no desire to ride in crappy weather or if I'm not in a good mood or whatever. I do want to learn so I'm willing to put in the time to get comfortable. I'm also not in any particular rush to ride past my skill level and am happy tooling around the neighborhood side streets for a month. I already own a convertible (and a track car and a fast GT car) and I'm no stranger to performance driving. It's the 2 wheel thing that I'm new at but I know how long / how much effort it takes to git good at motorsport.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Aug 17, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KillHour posted:

"Those other two" being the Versys and the Yamaha from the dealership or the Ninja and the CBR from FB Marketplace?

I work from home so I could probably ride 3-4x / week. I just never need to and have no desire to ride in crappy weather or if I'm not in a good mood or whatever. I do want to learn so I'm willing to put in the time to get comfortable. I'm also not in any particular rush to ride past my skill level and am happy tooling around the neighborhood side streets for a month. I already own a convertible (and a track car and a fast GT car) and I'm no stranger to performance driving. It's the 2 wheel thing that I'm new at but I know how long / how much effort it takes to git good at motorsport.

Sorry I missed the ninja and CBR cause I haven't got fb, those are good too if they're the 300cc kind. If you can ride more you definitely should. It is much much more difficult to get to even a basic not-die level of proficiency than any sort of car driving, and that's on slow bikes that are forgiving and easy to understand. You seem to have a good handle on the idea, get a small japanese bike that isn't too hosed and you'll be on your way.

Something like 40hp + 180kg with 1-2 cylinders as maximum limits are a good starting point so you're looking in the right direction! Assume anything you buy used will have a hosed tyres and chain, this is normal and because tyres are ultra super influential on literally everything it pays to get the kind you need right off the bat anyway.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Cool. I'll probably just drop the cash on the new Yamaha or similar because I like the idea of ABS and a nice digital cluster and also I don't want to die because the previous owner used water as brake fluid or some dumb poo poo. If decent used bikes were still $1500 I'd consider it but it's probably not worth saving 2 grand to get a 10 year old bike of questionable provenance. I'll post pics when I pull the trigger on something.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That Honda looks crashed, non-original brake lever and missing plastics and it generally looks a bit hosed up.

An R3 will be good but see if you can sit on a few different bikes and see what fits best. I like sports bikes but the riding position isn't for everyone and makes low speed riding trickier. Consider a naked bike, the plastics are expensive to replace if you drop it.

How about this?
https://www.maddiesmotorsports.com/Motorcycles-KTM-390-Adventure-2021-Dansville-NY-085f5099-8e86-442b-8456-ad5d011009d0

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Yeah I'm leaning towards a naked after looking a little more - probably either an MT-03 or a Z400. That KTM looks nice but starting to get a bit on the pricey side and I'm not sure I want my first ride to be a 2 hour "guess I have to get it home now" ordeal at 60 mph because that's going to be a lot of stress.

If I want a specific bike and I'm willing to pay MSRP can I just go to a local place and order one or am I stuck with what I can find in stock? How long would that take?

KillHour fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 17, 2021

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Uhaul also has very good and reasonably priced motorcycle trailers and trucks to pull them, the only catch is they don't rent the trailers one way. I was looking into that for getting one home until I lucked into one close to my house.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I was looking at getting a uhaul one way recently and the bike trailers weren't available but the 5'x9' utility trailers were an option (the open trailers). I haven't looked at them closely but it can't be that bad to get a bike home on one, probably just not as easy as the bike trailers with built-in chocks.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202107235368427
DR350, £3.2k

Looks very decent and well maintained.

Thoughts?

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I want it. gently caress that's a rad bike.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Steakandchips posted:

DR350, £3.2k

Thoughts?

Can't comment on the price for your market but a friend of mine has a DR250 which is exactly the same as this minus the cc's. I did some work on it, they're extremely simple rugged bikes. Nothing fancy about them, which in my opinion is a good thing for a dual sport.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Steakandchips posted:

DR350, £3.2k

Thoughts?

Can't comment on if that's a fair price but I love my dr350.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Local place (Bob Weaver) has a matte black MT-03 coming in early September. I'd prefer the :krad: Storm Fluo but I don't think it's worth it to be picky about it tbh.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm kind of narrowed down to a handful of XT225/250s I want to look at next week, a DRZ400 if it's still here, and there's a DR350 too that has suspiciously not sold in a while.

Insurance on all those came back fine. The DR650 was a little higher than I'd hoped, basically doubling my premium, so I haven't ruled it out but not at the top of my list.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

KillHour posted:

Local place (Bob Weaver) has a matte black MT-03 coming in early September. I'd prefer the :krad: Storm Fluo but I don't think it's worth it to be picky about it tbh.

I think that's a great choice.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

I think that's a great choice.

nobody has ever accused me of making a good decision before im framing this post and hanging it on my wall

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

The MT-03 is an awesome bike, and the Uhaul 5x9 utility trailer I towed it home with had a motorcycle wheel chock.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Steakandchips posted:

DR350, £3.2k

Thoughts?
Bike good, get bike.

KillHour posted:

I really appreciate that you are telling us you have fast cars and not insisting that your experience with them scales up to a 600cc sportbike. I assume those Facebook bikes are 600ish (wtf do they not list displacement?), so those aren't good ideas. The R3 is fine, and the Versys probably isn't great for your use case but it's not as bad an idea as the CBR, Ninja, and Monster.

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

:wtf: is an R7?!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

DR350, £3.2k

Thoughts?

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Bike good, get bike.

KillHour posted:

Bike good, get bike.

schreibs posted:

:wtf: is an R7?!

One r7 is a glorious specially built magic flower from when the R1 was a thing but sbk regulations mandated 750cc for a four cylinder and Yamaha got their big balls out, slammed them down on the design desk and purpose built a bike for the rules which then proceeded to finish second behind a Ducati.

The other r7 is an mt07 with fairings and other bling that came out a little while ago.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

The r6 replacement kinda bike that is objectively pretty good, but will still leave you with a 'Sigh, i wish this had the 4 cylinder engine' kinda feeling i guess.

Yamaha didn't bother with making the 600cc 4 cylinder engine euro 5 compliant. They did do that for the new R1, and the R6 is still available in a non-road legal version, but for the road legal "R6" replacement they just chucked in their parallel twin. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's just... just... :ohdear:

Living through the end of the internal combustion age hurts a bit sometimes :ohdear:

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Steakandchips posted:

DR350, £3.2k

Thoughts?

this thing is sick and you need to get it before someone else does

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

KillHour posted:

nobody has ever accused me of making a good decision before im framing this post and hanging it on my wall

I love my black MT03! You'll love it too.

Since you have time, start looking around for gear while you're waiting for the bike. That way you're ready to go when it's here and you're more likely to find a good deal on something.

Russian Bear fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 17, 2021

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

What are the differences between the varieties of DR650/r/rs?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

pun pundit posted:

gradations of ugliness

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

pun pundit posted:

Bold/bolder new graphics?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

pun pundit posted:

There's different kinds of dr650??

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

90s bikes were the pinnacle of style:

Is my new target. Unsold for 2 weeks, let’s see if it’s still there this weekend.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

pun pundit posted:

There is a 1990(?)-1996 DR650 and a 1997-2021 DR650. At some point they fixed the 3rd gear and the neutral sending unit bolts, and there have been bold new graphics a couple times.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There is a 1990(?)-1996 DR650 and a 1997-2021 DR650. At some point they fixed the 3rd gear and the neutral sending unit bolts, and there have been bold new graphics a couple times.

I haven't seen an earlier type up close before, they look like everything is the same except for the frame, which has the more old fashioned round tube construction. Are there other changes like jommetry and mechanical stuff?

schreibs
Oct 11, 2009

Slavvy posted:

One r7 is a glorious specially built magic flower from when the R1 was a thing but sbk regulations mandated 750cc for a four cylinder and Yamaha got their big balls out, slammed them down on the design desk and purpose built a bike for the rules which then proceeded to finish second behind a Ducati.

The other r7 is an mt07 with fairings and other bling that came out a little while ago.

Haha! I think I might like the second one either way. Thanks!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

I haven't seen an earlier type up close before, they look like everything is the same except for the frame, which has the more old fashioned round tube construction. Are there other changes like jommetry and mechanical stuff?

The Gen 1 was pretty similar to the DR600, which I think died out with the rollout of Gen 2. I don't know a lot about Gen 1, but it had a kicker and everything was generally lumpier in appearance. The frame was different as you noted, not sure in what ways other than "probably floppier." Gen 1 had a rally variant with a more developed plastics kit and a low fender, which to me looks like a predecessor of the Freewind.

edit: Sorry, I oversimplified a bit and got the year wrong. Gen 2 started in 1996. According to this site, bore increased, stroke decreased, exhaust upgraded, oil cooler added, and only one balance shaft. There are a handful of minor technical details wrong on that site, but I think those major ones are accurate.

edit2: Good lord, Gen 2 is 55# lighter, those earlier ones must have felt like absolute pigs.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Aug 17, 2021

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Glad I didn't drive 4 hours to look at a '94 this week then.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Oh, and since you asked, the R/S variants you asked about are basically trim levels for Gen 1. I didn’t realize that was even a thing since all Gen 2 are SE. I learned something today.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man the more I think about it, the more excited I am for the DRZ400s I inquired about. The only thing that’s unnerving about it for me is that the seat height appears to be a bit tall for my liking from reports. I have a 32 inseam. Is it a huge thing to get used to? What do you even do if you can’t flatfoot a bike? Do you just kind of lean it over when stopped? Are lowering links a remotely worthwhile thing?

I’m trying not to get too worked up about availability. Seems like DRZ400s come and go. I think my goal will be to get one this year. If it’s not in THIS batch, there will be one eventually. Somehow I kind of went from “I really want an XT225” to “I really want a DRZ400” after consuming a ton of DRZ videos/articles. Nothing against the XT, I’m pretty sure it would serve me just as well. DRZ has a certain je ne sais quoi that’s pulling me in.

But don’t judge me if I post about a new-to-me XT :|

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Man the more I think about it, the more excited I am for the DRZ400s I inquired about. The only thing that’s unnerving about it for me is that the seat height appears to be a bit tall for my liking from reports. I have a 32 inseam. Is it a huge thing to get used to? What do you even do if you can’t flatfoot a bike? Do you just kind of lean it over when stopped? Are lowering links a remotely worthwhile thing?

I’m trying not to get too worked up about availability. Seems like DRZ400s come and go. I think my goal will be to get one this year. If it’s not in THIS batch, there will be one eventually. Somehow I kind of went from “I really want an XT225” to “I really want a DRZ400” after consuming a ton of DRZ videos/articles. Nothing against the XT, I’m pretty sure it would serve me just as well. DRZ has a certain je ne sais quoi that’s pulling me in.

It's a dirt bike, the suspension will sag when you sit on it and it'll be fine. But if it isn't, you just use the balls of your feet/toes. Do you flat foot a pedal bike? No, you just put your toe down. I have a 32" inseam and ridden a bunch of tall bikes and never ever had a problem keeping them upright at stops on the rare occasion I couldn't get my foot flat on the ground.
Oh yeah and if you're ever stuck for a long time (but not long enough to bother with the side stand), like at a road construction flag person stop or something, and you're like oww my calf is cramping from standing tiptoe for so long, you can just slide your rear end halfway off the seat and put your whole foot down.

Finger Prince fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Aug 19, 2021

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

It's not a problem, but at the same time, the dr650 is considerably lower. Just saying.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds good, probably something I just need to get used to.

Slavvy posted:

It's not a problem, but at the same time, the dr650 is considerably lower. Just saying.

Haven’t ruled one out! I’m hoping to go sit on both at a dealer just to avoid visiting randos with used bikes just to sit on bikes. The insurance came back higher than I wanted but honestly it’s within $400 of the others so amortized over 12 months I spend more money on coffee each month. I think I want to make my decision based on how each one feels. I was hoping to go as light as possible within reason so in my mind I’m kind of preferring the DRZ400 but I’m trying to keep a really open mind. On the upside the DR650 wet is still lighter than the Ninja 250 wet so it’s not a heavy bike at all.

I think either would be cool.

I'm actually pretty up on the idea of a DR350 as well, but if I can get something newer then great. From all the reading it sounds like the DR350 vs DRZ400 is more of a "dirt vs street" decision where in some scenarios you might be happier with a DR350 in the dirt but with the DRZ on the road? But ultimately probably a wash -- DRZ geared for street can cruise just as well on highway with five gear transmission vs the 350's six, etc etc.

e: And like you mentioned, for my immediate use case all including the DR650 will do the trick so really choice is wide open and down to availability and feel and how quickly I want to be on one. I'm a world away from worrying about whether one is better in the dirt vs road etc.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Aug 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Martytoof posted:

Sounds good, probably something I just need to get used to.

Honestly, flat footing is something a lot of people get really hung up on, but in practice it's really a non-issue. Bikes that are upright want to stay upright. All your foot is doing is giving inertia a little mechanical advantage.