Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.

Vib Rib posted:

This, but in relation to the entire game rather than just other mods. My #1 complaint is that so many magic mods have really piddling payouts. Even Thaumcraft doesn't give you great returns for all you put into it -- Golem automation is worse than the first tier of almost any tech mod's pipes/automators, most spells aren't better than a good bow, the utility's low, etc. But some magic mods really feel pointless. Wizardry, for example, doesn't have a huge time investment, but none of the dozens of spells it gives you even feel worth having. Roots felt similar to me, with no decent payoffs. Botania has a few decent payoffs but mostly it's just better armor and tools.
I guess a lot of it comes back to Minecraft ultimately having such basic interactions that weapons, tools, and armor are about all that's worth having, but I hate climbing a magical tech tree and getting a bunch of spells that are severely limited because they decided decent direct damage or actually useful utility would be too OP for the hours of time and chests full of materials you've sunk into it.

Astral sorcery feels like it's got pretty decent payoffs in both tools and utility.

I think Astral and EB Wizardry have the best payoffs of the bunch.

I've loved EB Wizardry in most of the packs I've played it, little to no investment outside of IDing spells. There are a lot of mediocre spells but there are some really good ones and I like having a large selection to mess with. A couple nice utility spells too.

Thaumcraft I cant really stand to go through now with it's massive time investment. Later on mining a 5x5 tunnel as fast as I can run while making GBS threads out purple goo puddles is pretty neat I guess.

Roots has always been pretty useless unless you were playing it in an otherwise vanilla game or a pack that was gated with Roots as your first and only early game magic.

Botania is another that always felt a little weak on the ultimate payoff, but I guess it would depend on the pack on whether it was worth it some of its end game gear. Mana glass is the best glass block though.

I haven't messed much with Bewitchery much but it didn't feel like there was much payoff for the effort.

I used to be hesitant to get much into Astral because it was a major time (and space) investment but 10 minutes in you get unlimited sand which is nice. I like the passive tree too. Late game gets you some pretty powerful stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I've been sort of on-and-off conceptualizing a magi-tech mod to kinda fill the niche of a magic mod with tech progression, themed loosely off of the Garlean magitech from FFXIV.

I guess the problem, past actually starting to code, has been coming up with spell effects that haven't been done and finding a way to make them not just be "Well why doesn't this have a battery on it instead of mana." It'd largely just be crafting instead of a weird hard-to-integrate research progression. I figure it'd be a nice change for people who missed the old thaumcraft aesthetic of piping around magic goo though.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Khorne posted:

I've never really got into them. They feel almost parasitic a lot of the time. Like, hey do this random minigame/whatever and throw your resources into this mod but don't get all that much out of it except in the context of the mod. I mean every magic mod has the one thing that's mildly useful in normal gameplay, but why would I want to invest a ton of resources -- including my limited playtime -- into that one thing when I could use my resources for literally anything else that's better integrated with the rest of the game. It doesn't help that combat in minecraft doesn't loan itself to magic.

If you offer me a non-magic way to do things it's almost always more organic to reach and use in the context of the game & other mods. If you want to get started in a magic mod you are starting from a weaker place than where you're at progression wise, and if you start with magic you aren't progressing in the other aspects of the game. That's why I described most of them as having parasitic design. They only really try to bait you in with the one killer feature other mods don't offer that lets you do some other thing easier (blood magic, astral sorcery in particular do this. some other magic mods did this with move speed boosts early game.)

I'm also making this post largely hoping someone tells me why I am wrong about magic mods. I mean I get why the people who like them like them. Some of them have reasonably fun gameplay loops and are self contained games with cool boss battles, aesthetics, etc. The self contained part is why I tend to avoid them. Although I have done each major magic mod once except astral sorcery which I keep meaning to do but always end up doing other stuff instead. It doesn't help that rf tools covers most of the astral sorcery features that are really useful outside of astral sorcery.

Depends on the magic mod. Draconic Evolution and Project E integrate into other mods tech trees extremely well

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Obviously the only true difference between magic and tech mods is the flavor, but I think the design process is why they end up so different in functionality.

It always feels like tech based mods go "what do I want to accomplish" and then make a block or whatever for that task. Thermal Expansion is a great example where it's just a whole mess of single block machines that accomplish specific crafting tasks and a power system to go with it. How do they work? What is Redstone Flux? Who cares here is your ore doubling or plant growing or cobblegen. Like Mekanism and EnderIO are kinda the exact same mod but with different parts and skins. Power system, pipes, boxes that do things.

Magic mods feel like they start from the flavor, what if I used a wand and did research? How would magic flowers work? What about we base it around stars and constellations? And then the gameplay and rewards get filled in from there. Rewards and utility are secondary to lore and aesthetics. Admit it, Astral Sorcery is gorgeous.

I mean that's just how it feels to me who knows what the mod makers are thinking. Personally I like the magic mods as content to play. Yes thaumcraft research gets tiresome and Astral Sorcery is very long with all the multiblocks, but ideally a modpack will either integrate these systems (see thaumcraft in GTNH), or gate different mods at different points in progression (Sevtech Ages), or just balance rewards so everything is useful. Not every modpack gets it right and the thousand low effort kitchen sink packs are the worst here.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i prefer magic mods more because they make processes to do things more interesting usually and aren't just a bunch of gray cubes that get plugged in to do very specific things

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I need both, but honestly, I wish I could replace the majority of the tech mods with minecolonies stuff. Like instead of an ore doubler block, let me hire 4 dudes who do that, and I have to keep them fed, watered, and happy.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I wish more mods had the overall grasp of both aesthetic and purpose that Create does.

The mod really feels like someone had a long, careful think about it from start to finish.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

dragonshardz posted:

I wish more mods had the overall grasp of both aesthetic and purpose that Create does.

The mod really feels like someone had a long, careful think about it from start to finish.

if only it had a more googleable name

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
I've had a lax couple of days just bulk making supplies and now I am starting in omnifactory MV where I am starting to deal more with fluids. Getting to making chlorine, polyethylene, so also storing oxygen etc. In my past games where I used AE2 just for items I would use a storage bus on a drawer controller so my raw materials didn't take up space in my system. I've never used it for fluids. What is the best way to deal with fluids that I can keep in mind for the long term? My first thought are quantum tanks for each with a fluid storage bus on it that I could then use AE2 fluid output buses to put them where I want them. It seems like things are gonna get HUGE in the end so I am looking for the last laggy way of doing it.

second question: my understanding of cabling is if you have a CEF with 16 batteries and you want 16 machines plugged into it all the cable connecting the machines has to be 16x right?

TheJadedOne fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Aug 16, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Obviously the only true difference between magic and tech mods is the flavor, but I think the design process is why they end up so different in functionality.

It always feels like tech based mods go "what do I want to accomplish" and then make a block or whatever for that task. Thermal Expansion is a great example where it's just a whole mess of single block machines that accomplish specific crafting tasks and a power system to go with it. How do they work? What is Redstone Flux? Who cares here is your ore doubling or plant growing or cobblegen. Like Mekanism and EnderIO are kinda the exact same mod but with different parts and skins. Power system, pipes, boxes that do things.

Magic mods feel like they start from the flavor, what if I used a wand and did research? How would magic flowers work? What about we base it around stars and constellations? And then the gameplay and rewards get filled in from there. Rewards and utility are secondary to lore and aesthetics. Admit it, Astral Sorcery is gorgeous.
I think this is fairly accurate, in that tech mods know more or less what they want to accomplish and magic mods know how they want to look and feel.
It's funny, because even accounting for its endgame rewards, I think the infinite sand you get from Astral Sorcery is one of the best benefits. AS is a mod that's more practical than most, and even then, the early, easily-accessible unlock of a low tier block is great because it's just one thing permanently taken care of. You don't really realize how valuable cobblestone generators or tree farms/instant whole-tree fellers are until you play a pack without one and need a ton of wood and stone.

I suspect magic mods tend to have other "minigames" and the like because the authors feel like progressing through the mod by just dumping resources in (like you would in a tech mod) isn't very magical. The problem is a lot of tech mods will return materials, resources, and process that benefit the rest of the game and other mods, whereas magic mods often have very limited or specific returns that aren't necessarily useful. Infinite sand may seem low value, but it's a practical reward! Compare it to early unlocks in something like Roots, which offers a spell that weakly shoves enemies back if you have a specific flower wand equipped.
I guess my point is that magic mods really need to spend a little more time considering if what they give you for all your effort is actually something you'd ever want to use, regardless of the rest of the mod.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Most magic mods are designed with the loose (or sometimes strict) intention that you use them alone, with no other content mods. Botania is like this -- it's a mod whose express purpose isn't to provide you with a step assist belt; it's to give you a series of engineering problems to solve with vanilla redstone and its own tools. Unfortunately, between sprawling modpacks and its somewhat unique perks, most people treat it like a lead weight until they get their step assist belt or whatever, then ignore the rest of the mod.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Also despite making it the focus of the pack I never felt Botania's automation was very good. Even looking up setups for fairly basic things, the constructions are incredibly complicated and not intuitive.
The magic hourglass is good, though.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Vib Rib posted:

Also despite making it the focus of the pack I never felt Botania's automation was very good. Even looking up setups for fairly basic things, the constructions are incredibly complicated and not intuitive.
The magic hourglass is good, though.

Botania's automation kit is intended to be unwieldy. The entire design of the mod is "can you use these esoteric mechanisms, both vanilla and Botania, to fulfill these tasks?" It's for people who enjoy discovering and implementing a solution, not for people who want a product at the end.

That's why I'm always kinda miffed when I see it being used only because it has esoteric crafting rituals as a ladder to progression. It's totally missing the point.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's a rube goldberg machine mod for people who like rube goldberg machines.

I for one fuckin' love rube goldberg machines and slot in botania stages in my automation processes whenever i can in modpacks, for that specific purpose I'd actually argue it fits into modpacks way better than basically all the other magic mods because if you like it's core premise, it's core premise is still completely useable for other purposes unlike a lot of other magic mods.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help

TheJadedOne posted:

I've had a lax couple of days just bulk making supplies and now I am starting in omnifactory MV where I am starting to deal more with fluids. Getting to making chlorine, polyethylene, so also storing oxygen etc. In my past games where I used AE2 just for items I would use a storage bus on a drawer controller so my raw materials didn't take up space in my system. I've never used it for fluids. What is the best way to deal with fluids that I can keep in mind for the long term? My first thought are quantum tanks for each with a fluid storage bus on it that I could then use AE2 fluid output buses to put them where I want them. It seems like things are gonna get HUGE in the end so I am looking for the last laggy way of doing it.
Disclaimer: I'm still only in HV in Omnifactory, approaching EV, so I don't yet know how crazy things get in the late-late-game. I'm also playing on a server and tend to leave things running all day long so I'm not too fussed about the speed of things. But so far, I've been finding AE2 fluid cells sufficient for what I need and anticipate. A 4k fluid cell can still hold around 32,000 buckets, half the amount of the basic quantum tank for only four T1 circuits instead of eight T2 circuits.

I always partition the cells so that there's nowhere for overflow to go and mess things up. But I don't do the strict one-fluid-per-cell that the guide recommends either; I'll keep related fluids together on the same cell, like phenol, bisphenol A, acetone, and the epoxy resin they produce. Even fluids that are only briefly passing through the system need to go somewhere, but don't really need their own dedicated cell.

Production is done in independent 'workstations' that only handle one or two stages of processing at a time (usually one but if it's an intermediate product with absolutely no other use then it can go directly into a second stage) and then output back into the AE2 system. Level emitters stop the machines if a certain amount of excess builds up in the system, to avoid filling cells with the intermediate products.

I'm hoping this should be scalable since I can always add more copies of workstations and upgrade to faster machines without interfering with anything else. The one thing I'm kind of worried about is lag though, since that's a lot of fluid export buses right now. I really should be replacing them with fluid interfaces since they're supposed to be a lot less laggy, but that's a lot of conduit to redo...

TheJadedOne posted:

second question: my understanding of cabling is if you have a CEF with 16 batteries and you want 16 machines plugged into it all the cable connecting the machines has to be 16x right?
For the first few tiers of cables, yes, since the multiplier on the cable is the same as the max amperage it can carry. Later on there'll be cable types that can carry more amps per multiplier, so you might only need 4x cable to carry the 16 amps to supply 16 machines (if they're machines that only accept 1 amp).

Also note that flux capacitors in CEFs do not count the same way as actual GT batteries for controlling output amperage; a 16x CEF with 8 flux capacitors in it will still potentially output 16 amps, not just 8. Burned a few handfuls of expensive cables before figuring that one out...

Once I got to the point where a lot of production was automated though, I've been tending to slap down more 4x CEFs and doing smaller 4x cable runs rather than long runs of 16x cable.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Hooplah posted:

strangely, my turbine's power output seems to alternating between 580 and 590eu/t when i thought it should be 630. halp
I'm kind of curious if you figured this one out.

What got my fed up with GT:NH is that no matter what I connected up to the LHE, I could see the output would just fill up to max, vent steam, and then dump a bunch out in one big megapacket. This was despite the size or whatever of piping I had connected to it, and despite the tier of output I actually used. So I would never get a change to use all the steam I'd produce and I had to piss through distilled water to maintain what I had. Even the latest pack had that kind of problem.

Now I'm screwing around in OmniFactory where I don't feel as bad just losing whatever excess since it's far less of a hit to scale around it.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I still don't really know why you had a water leak. My system runs dead neutral until one of my turbines requires maintenance, at which point it (reasonably) starts running water negative. Of course, I upgraded all the pipes to fluid p2p, so there's zero sloshing and unlimited transfer rates. Funnily enough, long distance pipelines are also extremely viable for turbines, as long as you afford them enough room. (They can only attach to the pipeline on the opposite block face from their input or output.)

Here's how I did it for my fusion power setup.

And it's a crappy angle, but here's how it looks for my old LHE setup. (I need to tear this down at some point; the fusion is way better.)

Fluid P2P is amazing.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I played a lot of omnifactory, and I've been playing GTNH for the past couple weeks. I'd be interested in other people's thoughts on the differences. I feel like machines and infrastructure in GTNH are much more fiddly, for lack of a better word. In Omnifactory, I dropped my machine next to a cable, and it was ready to go. In GTNH, I feel like I'm constantly whacking the machines with my wrench to get the right orientation for item input/output, fluid input/output, and power. It would have been nice to have some warning to not connect my hoppers to gregtech pipes. It works on a very small scale, but sending items 1 at a time through pipes designed to handle 64 at a time is not efficient. I still don't know if there's a cheap way to transfer my coke oven outputs to item pipes in full stacks. I'm enjoying having to do more than just plug in enderio conduit or AE2 cables for my infrastructure, though. It feels a bit like solving a puzzle, and that gives me a nice dopamine hit. My first EBF kept telling me something was out of place, and I didn't realize that meant I just needed to click a tool on the maintenance hatch. I thought I built it incorrectly, and it took me far too long to figure it out. I didn't see anything in the questbook about which tool to use to fix which issue in the maintenance hatch, and I didn't see a breakdown of it on the GTNH wiki either. Maybe it's on the official Gregtech wiki. Other than those issues, it's been a smooth experience.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Uganda Loves Me posted:

My first EBF kept telling me something was out of place, and I didn't realize that meant I just needed to click a tool on the maintenance hatch. I thought I built it incorrectly, and it took me far too long to figure it out. I didn't see anything in the questbook about which tool to use to fix which issue in the maintenance hatch, and I didn't see a breakdown of it on the GTNH wiki either. Maybe it's on the official Gregtech wiki. Other than those issues, it's been a smooth experience.

One of the quests in the multiblocks section has a section describing which tool is for which maintenance problem. It's one of the ones connected to the EBF quest. I don't remember the name of it off hand and I don't have the game open to check.

Regarding your coke oven thing, don't worry too much about it. You stop using those coke ovens once you build out a proper power stack in MV.

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

There's an "EBF info" quest in multiblock goals, but it's gated behind the ability to make an alumin(i)um ingot, in Getting Ready for Tier 2, MV. Maybe the info is there? It feels like there's a lot of great info in the quest book. The devs went above and beyond to explain stuff. Sometimes, it feels like the info is out of order, though. Maybe I just missed something.

EDIT:
VVVVV
Agreed, I just struggle to find the right orientation for machines to actually connect to pipes and wires. Maybe I need to look at a guide.

Uganda Loves Me fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Aug 16, 2021

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
GTNH purposely has "GT6 style pipes/cables" which I guess means they do not autoconnect to anything unless you sneak-place in which case they attach to whatever you placed it against.

While it requires a lot more wrenching it also prevents wire explosions or pipe sloshing and so on. I caused a number of explosions before they adopted that style (and before i turned that poo poo off) by wires auto-connecting.

Also does duct tape not permanently prevent maintenance issues on later multiblocks? Or is it not usable on the steam turbines?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

GTNH purposely has "GT6 style pipes/cables" which I guess means they do not autoconnect to anything unless you sneak-place in which case they attach to whatever you placed it against.

While it requires a lot more wrenching it also prevents wire explosions or pipe sloshing and so on. I caused a number of explosions before they adopted that style (and before i turned that poo poo off) by wires auto-connecting.

Also does duct tape not permanently prevent maintenance issues on later multiblocks? Or is it not usable on the steam turbines?

Duct tape isn't permanent. It just fixes every problem currently on the multiblock. The duct tape texture is just cosmetic; you can even pick up and replace the maintenance hatch to clear it if you want.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I'm kind of curious if you figured this one out.

What got my fed up with GT:NH is that no matter what I connected up to the LHE, I could see the output would just fill up to max, vent steam, and then dump a bunch out in one big megapacket. This was despite the size or whatever of piping I had connected to it, and despite the tier of output I actually used. So I would never get a change to use all the steam I'd produce and I had to piss through distilled water to maintain what I had. Even the latest pack had that kind of problem.

Now I'm screwing around in OmniFactory where I don't feel as bad just losing whatever excess since it's far less of a hit to scale around it.

i upgraded my output hatch to mv, and installed a long distance pipeline and i have the same issue. i think my problem is the lack of a regulator because the output hatch doesn't push every tick as far as i can tell. sometimes the input hatch on the turbine has steam in it, which shouldn't happen if it was receiving the right amount per tick. looks like it's time to spend the ev circuits on a regulator. boo hiss

on the plus side i centralized my power mostly. hooked up my steam turbine plus a couple hv diesel generators to a 4-slot ev battery buffer. i now have four full amps of ev burst power available for my whole base, making ebf/vacuum freezer upgrading quite easy. also have an energy sensor on my battery buffer that only turns my diesel generators on when my buffer is low. i'm saving a ton of fuel now that all my ongoing processes only use my passive power

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Duct tape isn't permanent. It just fixes every problem currently on the multiblock. The duct tape texture is just cosmetic; you can even pick up and replace the maintenance hatch to clear it if you want.

Weird maybe I've just never noticed the extra power draw on my EBFs then? I will have to check next time GTNH cycles back into my gaming rotation.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hooplah posted:

i upgraded my output hatch to mv, and installed a long distance pipeline and i have the same issue. i think my problem is the lack of a regulator because the output hatch doesn't push every tick as far as i can tell. sometimes the input hatch on the turbine has steam in it, which shouldn't happen if it was receiving the right amount per tick. looks like it's time to spend the ev circuits on a regulator. boo hiss

on the plus side i centralized my power mostly. hooked up my steam turbine plus a couple hv diesel generators to a 4-slot ev battery buffer. i now have four full amps of ev burst power available for my whole base, making ebf/vacuum freezer upgrading quite easy. also have an energy sensor on my battery buffer that only turns my diesel generators on when my buffer is low. i'm saving a ton of fuel now that all my ongoing processes only use my passive power

Regulators don't help you if your output is unsteady. What I'd do is make a super tank or something, then use that to buffer steam. Put the regulator on that. IIRC, all that steam stuff occurs not per tick, but per second, so you'll get the entire output of your boiler or LHE or whatever every second rather than a little every tick.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Weird maybe I've just never noticed the extra power draw on my EBFs then? I will have to check next time GTNH cycles back into my gaming rotation.

If you've duct taped your EBF or whatever, it won't draw extra power. The extra power thing is only if you've neglected to fix the "circuitry burned out" maintenance problem, which is a problem if you don't whack the thing with some duct tape (since you need aluminium to make a soldering iron.)

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

If you've duct taped your EBF or whatever, it won't draw extra power. The extra power thing is only if you've neglected to fix the "circuitry burned out" maintenance problem, which is a problem if you don't whack the thing with some duct tape (since you need aluminium to make a soldering iron.)

ANY maintenance problem will cause the EBF to draw extra power. All maintenance problems reduce "efficiency" which in turn increases power demands.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah every problem causes 10% more draw, but what I'm saying is I never notice any extra draw on my EBFs after such taping them. My current world is in MV so my setup is overkill with 2*4x battery buffers, but I usually end up swapping to a single gas turbine + energy hatch and without a buffer that would trip the breaker on most recipes with a single maintenance issue.

Which I have not seen happen so I figured duct tape was just a permanent fix.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Which I have not seen happen so I figured duct tape was just a permanent fix.

It fixes all CURRENT maintenance problems. It does not prevent NEW maintenance problems. If there are no CURRENT maintenance problems, there is no additional power draw. NEW maintenance problems can occur at random, and will still happen eventually, regardless of the presence of duct tape.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
The rate of new maintenance problems cropping up is very low, though. Very, very low.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Regulators don't help you if your output is unsteady. What I'd do is make a super tank or something, then use that to buffer steam. Put the regulator on that. IIRC, all that steam stuff occurs not per tick, but per second, so you'll get the entire output of your boiler or LHE or whatever every second rather than a little every tick.

actually, turns out it was the lack of regulator. the input needs to be fed the exact amount to consume each tick or it voids the excess, causing lower efficiency for the following tick that falls short. my boiler is producing the exact right amount of steam, it's just not moving it every tick. having a slightly oversized output hatch and pipes is enough of a buffer. the long distance fluid pipeline is apparently a no-go for this situation without a buffer between it and the input

McFrugal posted:

The rate of new maintenance problems cropping up is very low, though. Very, very low.

yeah, it's low, but i think it's based on time running, so things like turbines and your cleanroom that run constantly are at more risk and need to be checked regularly

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

It fixes all CURRENT maintenance problems. It does not prevent NEW maintenance problems. If there are no CURRENT maintenance problems, there is no additional power draw. NEW maintenance problems can occur at random, and will still happen eventually, regardless of the presence of duct tape.

Yeah I got that from what people are saying. I'm just relating my experience and why I had an incorrect conclusion.

Isn't there a maintained hatch that fixes problems automatically? I'm phone posting so I can't check but I remember seeing it in NEI.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Yeah I got that from what people are saying. I'm just relating my experience and why I had an incorrect conclusion.

Isn't there a maintained hatch that fixes problems automatically? I'm phone posting so I can't check but I remember seeing it in NEI.

There are two additional maintenance hatches.

One is the "auto maintenance hatch" -- if you have 4 duct tape, 2 lubricant cells, 4 steel screws, and 2 HV circuits in its inventory, it'll consume them to fix one maintenance problem automatically. Available in LuV.

Another is the "auto-taping maintenance hatch." It just makes maintenance problems not happen, as far as I know. Available in UV (two tiers after LuV.)

The names are a little confusing.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 17, 2021

Uganda Loves Me
May 24, 2002

I unironically love the idea that the high-tech solution to machine maintenance is a modification that automatically applies duct tape.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

I talked all that poo poo about having rock steady LHE water gain, but I checked on my setup just now and I'd managed to run myself completely out of distilled water :v: I had two pink turbines with maintenance problems, so one of my LHEs was just venting steam like crazy and killing my water return.

Fortunately, my control circuitry was throttling my LHEs and reactors to not explode.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Hooplah posted:

actually, turns out it was the lack of regulator. the input needs to be fed the exact amount to consume each tick or it voids the excess, causing lower efficiency for the following tick that falls short. my boiler is producing the exact right amount of steam, it's just not moving it every tick. having a slightly oversized output hatch and pipes is enough of a buffer. the long distance fluid pipeline is apparently a no-go for this situation without a buffer between it and the input

yeah, it's low, but i think it's based on time running, so things like turbines and your cleanroom that run constantly are at more risk and need to be checked regularly

Do you throttling the distilled water input? That kind of scares me.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Do you throttling the distilled water input? That kind of scares me.

Oh, my system is just a regular pressure boiler and steam turbine. No LHE. I’m only in early IV

TheJadedOne
Aug 13, 2004
Prepping to build my first distillation towers for charcoal byproducts and what it distills into. That should allow me to decently constant craft the parts for the final tier one circuit and make it a non-issue. I am honestly excited because it feels like a huge step in Omnifactory

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Is there a way to turn minecraft into factorio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Omnifactory is pretty close but Minecraft just isn't really optimized to have thousands of small machines. Why usually you just push for higher tiers of machines instead.