Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

etalian posted:

I'm also sure another factor was how the 300k strong sleepy Joe was harping about over the last few months was a myth in the real world due to corruption in the central government.

I know that there's some tough competition, but this is the funniest part of the whole debacle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

guess who likes the soy tiktok'er

it's reddit

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The treatment of collaborators from the Taliban by offering blanket amnesty also goes against historically what has happened to such people.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Since when can you embed videos?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I know that there's some tough competition, but this is the funniest part of the whole debacle.

That whole Sleepy Joe speech will be gold mine for future political attack ads.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

neutral milf hotel posted:

I read reading up on China's Belt and Road Initiative and came across this nugget:

yes. blue dots. who comes up with these names? I mean, belts and roads are tangible things and distill complicated geopolitical goodwill/nation building ideas down into useful objects. blue dots are space herpes.

Makes sense, China uses historical materialism while space herpes is what you get from sticking your dick in places you shouldn't have, as the US is wont to do.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

blanket amnesty, electricity's still running, winning hearts and minds?

lmao its still less than a month to 9/11. media narrative's gonna be fun.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Taliban went woke, you hate to see it

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

etalian posted:

That whole Sleepy Joe speech will be gold mine for future political attack ads.

People had to know that there were 300k missing soldiers. The generals had to be aware, the soldiers on the ground definitely had to wonder where the gently caress the Afghan military was that never seemed to accomplish anything.

But not our idiot president. No siree. There are 300,000 soldiers ready to fight the Taliban, just out of frame.

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

PhilippAchtel posted:

Since when can you embed videos?

i use catbox, all you do is upload the vid and post the link as a url
https://catbox.moe/

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Koirhor posted:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Koirhor posted:

the most diverse jihad in history

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

People had to know that there were 300k missing soldiers. The generals had to be aware, the soldiers on the ground definitely had to wonder where the gently caress the Afghan military was that never seemed to accomplish anything.

But not our idiot president. No siree. There are 300,000 soldiers ready to fight the Taliban, just out of frame.

Many of them weren't missing. They just weren't paid enough to fight hard and they took the Taliban's offer to disappear and not get killed.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/worldonalert/status/1427543628625453056?s=20

joe biden loves womens rights and is the most progressive president in history

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I'd hate to mention Glenn but he had a great roast about how Afghanistan was pretty much carrying on this legacy of lying from the Vietnam era.

Sort of similar to how Crooked Hillary bragged about having a private and public positions on things like healthcare.

I'm pretty sure in internal briefings and assessments they knew the central government military was a paper tiger but hoped it would fall apart at a less politically inconvenient date.

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

The Taliban should announce a mask mandate in schools

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

synapse posted:

The Taliban should announce a mask mandate in schools

whats kind of filtration can a burqa get

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

etalian posted:

I'd hate to mention Glenn but he had a great roast about how Afghanistan was pretty much carrying on this legacy of lying from the Vietnam era.

Sort of similar to how Crooked Hillary bragged about having a private and public positions on things like healthcare.

I'm pretty sure in internal briefings and assessments they knew the central government military was a paper tiger but hoped it would fall apart at a less politically inconvenient date.

They knew it was a paper tiged but there's a very real chance each level up from the ground had a slightly more massaged view of how much of a paper tiger it was than the level below them, which added up into "this paper tiger will take a couple months to fall" as opposed to "this paper tiger will collapse before we're even done leaving."

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Zedhe Khoja posted:

Part of the reason the west has been dragging their feet on bringing in collaborators is that they were counting on the Taliban not extending amnesty. Whatever sanctions and hostile diplomacy the west has planned was meant to be bought domestically with the blood of translators and female Afghan journalists.

I think you’ve got that right and I hope it keeps being true going forward. It seems like there’s an unstated plan here where we leave our buddies to get their throats cut, and then we can go back in and do it again once they kill all the people that we theoretically don’t want them to kill. If they just don’t do that, we’ll be at a bit of an impasse.

If they don’t end up doing it, I’m sure we’re going to end up having to get the CIA to do the killings we want done to try to get people excited, but it would own if they didn’t do any of it and that’s all we had to go on. I think their best move is just to actually do what they’re saying they’ll do, say and then prove that the New Taliban is a surprisingly open thing, and then watch us just not know how to deal with that.

Real Mean Queen has issued a correction as of 13:45 on Aug 17, 2021

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

smarxist posted:

"if we could just get the Afghani to watch the Simpsons (seasons 2-9 only, naturally, -*pushes up nerd glasses*),"

we can't even pull off roads and internet in the US lol

what do they think this is, infrastructure week or something

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Man Musk posted:

Ethnic-based polities are a modern and Western innovation

Read up on Sykes-Picot Agreement, and its context within the Armenian genocide

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

any army born after 1776 can’t win wars… all they know is warcrimes , charge they drones, patrol, be imperialist , eat mres & lie

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

PawParole posted:

any army born after 1776 can’t win wars… all they know is warcrimes , charge they drones, patrol, be imperialist , eat mres & lie

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

amazing. two days ago karzai posted a video of him and his granddaughters still in Kabul and my face went white.
today he is in talks with the taliban about how to make governance functional and beneficial to the populace.

i am harry has issued a correction as of 14:03 on Aug 17, 2021

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
MIL still sick to her stomach over how women will be treated there, as if Afghanistan was some sort of monument to feminism these last 20 years.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
they might be wary of the vaccines thanks to the bullshit the CIA pulled in Pakistan and I wouldn’t blame them until they get their own supply verified for themselves but who knows

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

a guy from the danish veterans organisation said that 20 years wasn't long enough for structural change and that the occupation should have been a 50 year one instead lmao

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

ban them for what

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Cpt_Obvious posted:

There might have been 300k soldiers on the books, even without making up new ones. People joining the ANA for a check then bouncing after basic with basically no way to stop them was a common thing, and sometimes they'd come back for multiple enlistments when they needed money. I'm sure the military officials thought it was a great way to keep recruitment numbers up and provide some basis for the ghost legions they were drawing salaries for, so everyone won.

Honestly kinda curious how many Taliban went through ANA training on the US's dime

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

BAE OF PIGS posted:

MIL still sick to her stomach over how women will be treated there, as if Afghanistan was some sort of monument to feminism these last 20 years.

If only the convictions of libs matched their courage for virtue signalling

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Koirhor posted:

they might be wary of the vaccines thanks to the bullshit the CIA pulled in Pakistan and I wouldn’t blame them until they get their own supply verified for themselves but who knows

Yeah what the CIA did with their fake vaccine program in Afghanistan/Pakistan is a loving crime against humanity.

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

are any of the blue checks paying attention to what’s actually happening outside the death zone part of the airport occupied by Americans

Carmant
Nov 23, 2015

Treadmill? What's that? Is that some kind of cake?

R. Mute posted:

guess who likes the soy tiktok'er

it's reddit

How dare you criticize this brave veteran. And a medic at that. This honorable soldier performed autopsies on the pulped remains of U.S. drone strike victims to verify that they were terrorists. All to help the Afghan people. What have you done?

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty

Der Meister posted:

are any of the blue checks paying attention to what’s actually happening outside the death zone part of the airport occupied by Americans

not really, been trying to keep up with what's actually happening politically and it's just being ignored by western journalists afaict. mostly just Afghan and Indian+Arab media that seem to care

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you’d struggle to get most catholic and protestants to do this today lol

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1427616959529619470?s=20

wow the white war tourist guy is fine

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

PawParole posted:

Thread title please

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/roun_sa_ville/status/1427492046798049283

https://twitter.com/roun_sa_ville/status/1427497730704912418

:whitewater:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

3 of the 4 actionable recommendations are mutual aid, not services. Try to fix it yourself don't call us unless it's a crisis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

It boggles my goddamned mind on how the VA now outspends the entire Chinese military