Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think I miss some of my favorite garbage foods from eating out vs the actual eating out "experience". I just can't nail some of the flavors. Like yeah, I can make stirfry but it doesn't taste the same as Miyabi's and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

One weird thing that's been going on over the duration of the crisis is people insisting that they *have* to eat out to "support local business", like the onus is on them to keep these people afloat in the same way society places the onus for climate change on the individual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

sonatinas posted:

I’ve been trying to find remote work too. I had an excellent shot and was preferred candidate but then company knew somebody at the last min willing to relocate.

I’m in intl logistics/supply chain if that matters to any lurkers here.

good luck goon

EFFORT POST INCOMING

my advice to anyone looking for a wfh gig:

- make an email address just for job searching

- set up a google phone number or buy a burner or something if you don't want your phone number sold to every scammer and coldcalling salesperson on the planet. or be ready to change your phone number after you land a job

- make a resume. in the resume, briefly describe your wfh setup (pc specs, # of monitors if you have multiples, internet connection type and speed, etc). say you have remote work experience. (if you don't actually have remote work experience, just lie and say you do remote video captioning work on Rev or some poo poo like that. "remote work experience" is just a way of saying "i know how to use computer")

- make a nice looking linkedin profile with a picture of yourself and set it to "looking for work"

- may want to go ahead and install and (re)familiarize yourself with the common remote job programs: office, zoom, slack, teams, ringcentral

- prep ahead of time for interviews. i suck at talking to people so i made a cheat sheet with answers to common interview questions. kept me from floundering around too much. be prepared for video call interviews - get a cam and headset if you don't have them. don't sweat it if you bomb the first few interviews, just think of them as practice runs

- sign up for multiple job search sites. i used indeed, linkedin, zip recruiter, rat race rebellion, my state's employment site, and a temp agency for the field i was looking in. i liked indeed the best because they have a good remote-only search, employers have to pay to post so that cuts down on scam postings, and their mobile app made it very easy for me to spam out my resume from my phone literally all day long. it was even easy to do simple little cover letters on there because it autosaves the last one you sent, so you can just edit it a little bit each time as needed instead of writing a whole new one every time. i got the most responses from indeed and that's where i got hired from

- run searches at least once a day, multiple times a day is even better. some sites will let you set up alerts for new postings. job postings pop up quickly, but they get taken down quickly too when hundreds of resumes immediately start pouring in

- apply like crazy. apply for everything legit looking that seems tolerable, even if it's only tolerable enough to be a placeholder job until you find something else. apply for poo poo you think you probably don't have a chance in hell of getting. go loving hog wild

- if you have enough free time, start stacking up free certifications, even if they're not relevant to the jobs you're looking for. they pad out your resume nicely and it makes you look like a smart, ambitious person who is willing and able to learn new stuff

it's tiresome, it's annoying, it sucks, it will make you want to scream

but somehow even with my lovely weak rear end resume i managed to brute force my way into a fully remote job that i never expected to get, and is better paying than any loving job than i have ever had before in my entire life. not trying to brag, i'm trying to encourage and motivate the jobseekers in here. if a horrible little goony goon like me with a mostly food service background and no social skills can do it, so can you! it is possible, keep looking, don't give up!!!

now might be a better time than ever to score a good remote gig. boomers are retiring or dying out of the work force in droves. some of your potential competition is literally too loving sick to even apply for jobs right now. many companies are shifting to remote on a more permanent basis and are desperate to fill suddenly open positions

osprey fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 17, 2021

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

restaurants get extremely hot grills (compared to homes) which makes a big difference for a lot of food

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Golli posted:

Food supply chains are getting back to the level they were in the May 2020 timeframe. Meat is scarce, way more expensive and lower quality than I have ever seen.

The takeout ribs I got last week were spare ribs because they took babybacks off the menu due to supply and quality issues (this is a pretty big restaurant chain, so they have supply chain clout, presumably). What is worse, I am pretty sure I got to taste boar taint for the first time - the ribs were nasty, and this place usually makes great ribs.

Beans are back on the menu.

If anyone wants to dial back on meat now's a good time to give that a shot.
Also, buy a rice cooker.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 17, 2021

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think I miss some of my favorite garbage foods from eating out vs the actual eating out "experience". I just can't nail some of the flavors. Like yeah, I can make stirfry but it doesn't taste the same as Miyabi's and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

Everyone always says MSG, but yeah it's probably MSG. Maybe sesame oil, fish/oyster sauce, or black vinegar.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.

FizFashizzle posted:

im going to walk in and ask for a booster today.

im not going to lie, I'm just going to ask for it and see what they say.

im going to go in scrubs and just let the pharmacy techs make their own conclusions

will report back.

v interested in this since I’d like to have it on my vax card

Apr 7, 2003

I made some pickled beet eggs and they were pretty good.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Gravybong posted:

v interested in this since I’d like to have it on my vax card

I'm interested to see how strict pharmacies and insurance choses to be about the 8 month gap

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I'm sure these are 100% accurate numbers

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

(I suck at image editing)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

lmao

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Real Mean Queen posted:

You're completely right. Portland has a decent food scene, and it's set up in a way that's been very interesting to watch during the last year and change. Our restaurants took a hit while they were closed for indoor dining, but most of them switched over to doing to-go food pretty fast and many of them survived. At the same time, though, we've got shitloads of food carts that never had to miss a step due to dining room closures because they don't have those anyway. Nobody in this city went a single day without the ability to buy a hot meal, you can even get some guy to drive it to you for an extra fifteen bucks or so.

Despite the widespread availability of prepared foods for sale, the types of people that have never worked in a restaurant were all weeping into their phones about how much they missed eating out. If I work at a place that sells you a shot and a beer and a burrito that are brought to you by somebody you can boss around a little, and then the next day you can still buy a bottle of liquor and a box of beer down the street and you can still buy the same burrito from me but you have to just get it in a bag and go on your way, and that upsets you, what aspect of the old arrangement is it that you're actually missing? It's the part where you get poo poo on a rented underling and then decide to pay them a little bit less than you claim you normally would if they had done a better job at serving you.

I can see this argument about restaurant tyrants. But I have to imagine continuing to prepare meals on a faceless assembly line for delivery is also sort of dehumanizing in its way? Maybe moreso for owners or front of house, obviously, but those businesses are built on relationships and community involvement. (And exploitation, yes.)

IDK, I haven't done food service in like 20 years and I was loving terrible at it and was banished to wash dishes, so I am no authority.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

blind posting from 30 pages back, hopefully i haven't been beaten

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

titty_baby_ posted:

a post from February 2020 that fell through a time hole

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

titty_baby_ posted:

Now do Nebraska.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Computer powering the sim is overheating

Apr 7, 2003

Florida looks that bad even with their numbers cooked to the degree that an employee said "hey, these numbers are cooked" and DeSantis put her in prison and gave her covid.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

loving hell

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I’ve had people power trip on me at work using false equivalence fallacies using restaurant metaphors

it’s like the only thing they got for most of us. the very wealthy people I do know buy experiences out of our reach frequently. we can’t buy that poo poo.

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!

titty_baby_ posted:

Same but unironically

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
is flying from Texas to New York for my grandmas funeral mass a bad idea if my family is full of dumbass idiots who refuse vaccinations? I know the answer is yes but I feel like I need to be assured

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

If you've got some high protein meals for us weightlifting folks, can you post those too? Bean crew rise up

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One weird thing that's been going on over the duration of the crisis is people insisting that they *have* to eat out to "support local business", like the onus is on them to keep these people afloat in the same way society places the onus for climate change on the individual.

It's nice if it's not a risk to your health to grab takeout but we're definitely at the point that if a takeout place isn't masking, it's a risk to your health. It probably is anyhow. I guess I can see the point of "oh I love x shithole tiny local place, I want to make sure they stay open during all this" if you're super passionate about the business, but if you're risking your life for goddamned applebees, what the gently caress.

euphronius posted:

restaurants get extremely hot grills (compared to homes) which makes a big difference for a lot of food

yeah, their fried rice in particular gets this crunchy crust on it because it's a hibachi/teppanyaki joint and I'm definitely not replicating that at home.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Everyone always says MSG, but yeah it's probably MSG. Maybe sesame oil, fish/oyster sauce, or black vinegar.

I actually suspect I'm not using the same type of vodka (or enough) that they use. MSG is a possibility, so is fish sauce. :3: You reminded me about black vinegar, though, and now that's something else to add to my Amazon order. So thank you for that.

Florida looks that bad even with their numbers cooked to the degree that an employee said "hey, these numbers are cooked" and DeSantis put her in prison and gave her covid.

Florida is a loving travesty and I don't know how Abbot can sit there and watch this and be like "me next"

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

skewetoo posted:

I don't think there is any social mobility. I'm first gen in Canada and it's very clear that jobs in the labor aristocracy and above are closed off to me

I don't know enough about Canada to disagree. There are meaningful differences between the states and Canada though. Are trades an option?

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

hatty posted:

is flying from Texas to New York for my grandmas funeral mass a bad idea if my family is full of dumbass idiots who refuse vaccinations? I know the answer is yes but I feel like I need to be assured

This is the biggest global crisis, in maybe history?

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

*howls for blood*

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

skewetoo posted:

Need a north american caste system thread :clint:

I would participate enthusiastically.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

me, observing the only country on earth that mass tests the entire population of cities following a single case after it reports six new cases:

FAKE NEWS

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Ramsay Bolton/Snow got fed to his own dogs he's been intentionally starving, so that's something to hope for (it won't happen).

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

I don't know enough about Canada to disagree. There are meaningful differences between the states and Canada though. Are trades an option?

Sure there are options. Like when I got a degree which gave me more qualifications than any "old-stock Canadian" boomer boss that I ever had

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

hatty posted:

it is every American's duty to consume as much as physically possible for the benefit of our betters

by not flying you are stealing food from the mouth of a CEO

which is disgusting, why would you even want food that's been in their mouth

anyway absolutely go forth and consume a plane flight like a true patriot :911:

open biden

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 371 days!
China will board your rear end into your home if you test positive, and they can go full martial law in an area at a moment's notice. I believe their numbers

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

kopasetic posted:

Grandpa gets brought to ED by family because everyone else in the house has covid and they don’t want him to catch it. guy is perfectly fine, tests negative, but we admit him because it is the VA. grandpa sits around for two weeks until family recovers. seems like a great opportunity to vaccinate him before he goes. family calls an hour later screaming at me for giving him an “experimental vaccine” and how dare I do that without their permission and they’re gonna sue my rear end etc. why did I choose this career

at this point I feel telling such people to gently caress off is professionally appropriate

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

I guess my opinion was too brave for the ccp sponsored posters

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Serf
May 5, 2011

tenderjerk posted:

China will board your rear end into your home if you test positive, and they can go full martial law in an area at a moment's notice. I believe their numbers

its hilarious how much better prepared they are for this than the united states lmao

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

hatty posted:

I went to my aunt’s funeral a few weeks ago. drove, no flying. my family is full of chuds.

two weeks later two of them popped positive for the rona. narrowly dodged a bullet

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

If you've got some high protein meals for us weightlifting folks, can you post those too? Bean crew rise up
They're not all vegetarian but many are. I just really like that website because the reipies mostly use ingredients you can find at a regular store unlike say NYTimes cooking.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

titty_baby_ posted:

I guess my opinion was too brave for the ccp sponsored posters

I'm not sponsored by them , I'm just a stan.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Not a Children posted:

lovely forums programming means that metadata associated with long threads is a huge bandwidth sink iirc

i couldn't imagine that the load bearing slurs holding our forums together could support more than 5000 pages in a thread, it's amazing that they held together as long as they did with the last thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003

I haven't gone to a restaurant since March of 2020, I no longer give a gently caress about any of that and I'll never eat out again like I used to do all the time. I openly look down on the loving morons who are risking their lives for that garbage.

It was never about the food; eating out is about reinforcing your place in America's caste system as the served, not the server.

Last time I was at a dine-in restaurant was in late February of 2020. Since then I've had takeout maybe three or four times and had home-made food that we didn't prepare like twice.

A lot of my job is selling to-go items to restaurants and coffee shops and this past summer has pretty much turned me off to eating dine-in in a restaurant ever again. The behavior of restaurant owners throughout the pandemic has been absolutely abhorrent and there's only one or two in this town that I would probably ever patronize again. We have a lot of fantastic restaurants here but seeing how the owners have disregarded everyone's health and safety here in order to cater to chud tourists has been demoralizing.

The worst part is, all this loving pissing and moaning about how they can't get anyone to work for them or nobody wants the lovely pay they're offering - a lot of restaurant owners ONLY operate in the summer here. The second october rolls around they literally board up their restaurants with plywood and gently caress off to Arizona, Hawaii, Mexico, etc for the winter. They whine and whine that everyone they employ shouldn't expect good pay and should have to earn a good wage and then padlock their business for 6 months out of the year and skip town.