Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Ice Phisherman is a Tayne alt, right? No one actually engages like that in CSPAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

etalian posted:

I cringe even thinking about what the 2-3 months will be like in the USA.

Things like ICU capacity have already gone off the rails, pray you did get sick or get a bad fall over the next few months since Chuds
will be burning through all the hospital space.

I actually think we'll be in another big dip in a couple of months. Even Delta seems to burn out after a bit, and we'll be past the initial school outbreaks.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Business Gorillas posted:

1) do you mind if i take your info and add it to my JOBS JOBS JOBS copypaste i post every once in a while? i'm working with goons on getting WFH jobs and you're filling a huge amount of states that i can't hire people from (i have OH, DE, AZ, UT, & IL)

2) if yes, can you DM me some of the job postings so i can help people with resume skills?

What kind of DE jobs do you have for sale

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I actually think we'll be in another big dip in a couple of months. Even Delta seems to burn out after a bit, and we'll be past the initial school outbreaks.

We're about 15 days away from surpassing the hospitalization numbers from the third wave - and another ~20 before total hospitalizations surpasses total available staffed beds (not taking into account the field hospitals that will spring up).

I do agree that we will have a dip at some point, but not before all of our hospital systems look like Florida and Texas.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Pillowpants posted:

What do you do?

quasi-government fake work desk job pushing emails and spreadsheets all day

Business Gorillas posted:

not sure what you're looking for skill and pay wise but dm me, we might be able to work something out if you're in Ohio, Illinois, Arizona, Delaware, or Utah :grin:

I'm in maine but also I'm barely scraping by on higher wages because i'm in hella debt

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Good morning

Takes a deep breath

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

There. I'm ready to face the horrors that today will bring

:coffeepal:

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist
my work is having CVS come by to give people vaccines. i haven't provided proof of vaccination to HR so that they can't strip me of my mask. should i use the pop up vaccination to get a booster? i'm thinking yes, if there's a good way to get away with it

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Stevie Lee posted:

I'm in maine but also I'm barely scraping by on higher wages because i'm in hella debt

We are based out of Boston (I am not a hiring manager, i Just know and can nudge recruiters)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Steve Yun posted:

SO FAR. Pfizer has been around longer. We might see a droop in Moderna efficacy once it’s been around as long.

But for now we’re hoping it has staying power.

He have theories that it’s because it has 3x the volume or because the doses are spaced 4 weeks instead of 3 weeks, but who knows for now

Oh yeah absolutely still getting my booster sooner rather than later just curious if Pfizer's "you'll probably need a booster" talk from a while back was them specific. Sounds like it is so far.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sunny Side Up posted:

my work is having CVS come by to give people vaccines. i haven't provided proof of vaccination to HR so that they can't strip me of my mask. should i use the pop up vaccination to get a booster? i'm thinking yes, if there's a good way to get away with it

Maybe play it by ear. See if it seems likely your boss will find out.

Bring your card and see if you can get the booster info on it, after you’ve already gotten the needle, no takesie backsies.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Every time Business Gorilla posts a job opening you have to post a business gorilla

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Asproigerosis posted:

What kind of DE jobs do you have for sale

dm me and find out :grin:

Stevie Lee posted:

i'm right about to start my JOB but known goon Pillowpants works for a company that is hiring around the country. i'm in talks with them and will be including their info in my JOBS JOBS JOBS post, but i'd def reach out to them in the meantime

WE LOSE ENOUGH OF OUR LIVES TO WORK. THERE'S NO REASON FOR YOU TO LOSE YOUR LIFE BECAUSE OF IT

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
maybe we should............. trust the experts? :thunk:

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Thoguh posted:

Ice Phisherman is a Tayne alt, right? No one actually engages like that in CSPAM.

uhh if i remember right ice phisherman is the coolzone thread guy that thought the US gov/supply chain was totally gonna collapse soon because of BLM protests/"unrest" because he created a lot of d&d campaigns and read a lot of history or some bullshit

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

gradenko_2000 posted:

1. I'm not sure I want to imply that other vaccines don't work

2. The studies that have been cited that demonstrate waning effectivity of vaccines over time, for all of their flaws and caveats, do indicate that Moderna does not wane nearly as much, yes.

I didn't mean to imply the other vaccines don't work, apologies. Second part seems like the kind of knowledge it would be good to broadcast as widely as possible. Mostly I just wanted to make sure my own understanding of the situation wasn't off-base.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
https://twitter.com/5five0oh4four/status/1427615478562885638

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Newsquawk/status/1427609461439569923
https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1427609513830621186

lol The Fear is setting in again, at least for some people

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr Hootington posted:

https://twitter.com/LizAnnSonders/status/1427588388866174978?s=19

See people changed their behavior and delta is going away. :)

The economic impact is felt so the recommendations should be removed.

people changed before the cdc said anything lmao

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Joementum posted:

they are overly pessimistic as a class

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Joementum posted:

It owns that the draw of brunch is greater than the cinema’s. I can only imagine that the logic is “well I can see a movie at home, but you know what I can’t do? Eat.”

Also loling at the infectious disease experts who would eat at a restaurant while masked, somehow.

Relevant Tangent posted:

Oh yeah absolutely still getting my booster sooner rather than later just curious if Pfizer's "you'll probably need a booster" talk from a while back was them specific. Sounds like it is so far.

Amusingly, the D&D approved answer to this question is now “Moderna crew will need a booster because Joseph Robinette Biden (pbuh) did not make a distinction between the vaccines”.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

I'm the economically ungrateful bastard who spends $6 a day

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thoguh posted:

I don’t think so

different posting vibes afaict

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

therapy. therapy. you're all going to therapy. none of you are safe

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Yeah I’m outdoors and crying a little now.

The hosed part is that she was stronger than the people who quit earlier. She had more gas in the tank than they did, not to say that’s a failing on their part, but she legitimately had more hit points or however you want to think about it. The problem is that that doesn’t matter, because this problem has more damage to give out than anyone can sustain, and the damage gets more pointed and greater on each individual as more bail. I bet there’s an even tougher nurse watching her burn out and saying lmao, but that one’s going to get to a point too, and there will be an ever decreasing number of emotionally dead badasses left when that one bails, and the workload increases every time.

This can not continue. We’re not minting new nurses faster than we’re burning through the good ones we had, and even if we were, every old one replaced with a new one will take institutional knowledge out at a faster rate than the new ones can gain it. I’ve befriended some nurses and ambulance folk over the years, I’ve listened to them talk about their jobs, and it seems like most of it is slang and jargon and little tricks that their more experienced buddies showed them that makes it easier to do a thing. If there’s no experienced buddy for the new ones to learn from and it’s just a bunch of greenhorns fumbling through stuff they’ve never really done before, that means they are hosed, and that means we are all hosed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

teachers are going to start quitting in droves soon too

two major women professions just getting poo poo on non stop

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

My county. 178/100k. School starts today. :D

Serf
May 5, 2011

euphronius posted:

teachers are going to start quitting in droves soon too

two major women professions just getting poo poo on non stop

i know a couple teachers who are looking to get into coding because they'd rather learn that than deal with going into the meat grinder despite loving teaching

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

euphronius posted:

vaccination and boosters or whatever isn’t going to help Florida at al anymore

When you say that anywhere else on the internet, the only response people have is GET VACCINATED

I did and I don’t live there, and that’s got nothing to do with the fact that a guy being sort of immune from the gnarlier aspects of the disease six weeks from now does nothing for anyone today

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

THE EcONOMY

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Sunny Side Up posted:

literally, word for word, just had someone say "Covid is over. It's only in people's heads, now."

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Real Mean Queen posted:

When you say that anywhere else on the internet, the only response people have is GET VACCINATED

I did and I don’t live there, and that’s got nothing to do with the fact that a guy being sort of immune from the gnarlier aspects of the disease six weeks from now does nothing for anyone today

Would you rather they talk about ivermectin

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Masks didn't have any impact on whether kids did or didn't go to school last year, especially when it became more about politics & power plays than a freaking virus. I personally was like "whatever the hell to get them back in ASAP!" Now parents have a choice, if they want to send their kids to school in masks, they can. It's that simple. There's no reason for them not to be in school. Unless they've been exposed to someone who's been vaxxed, at which point they'll probably test positive soon.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Tzen posted:

lol you're playing with loving fire man
then again you read this thread and the old one so you know what's coming if you keep loving around

I haven't gone to a restaurant since March of 2020, I no longer give a gently caress about any of that and I'll never eat out again like I used to do all the time. I openly look down on the loving morons who are risking their lives for that garbage.

It was never about the food; eating out is about reinforcing your place in America's caste system as the served, not the server.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Serf posted:

i know a couple teachers who are looking to get into coding because they'd rather learn that than deal with going into the meat grinder despite loving teaching

wow another victory for Hillary Clinton

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
lol, that sinking feeling when your kid mentions that 2 kids are out sick

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Der Meister posted:

THE EcONOMY

will not be shut down!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:capitalism:

https://www.civilbeat.org/2021/08/covid-treatment-in-hawaii-is-getting-more-expensive-for-some-patients/ posted:

Covid-19 Treatment In Hawaii Is Getting More Expensive For Some Patients
Kaiser stopped covering out-of-pocket costs for Covid-19 patients this month, affecting about 190,000 Hawaii residents.

After the pandemic hit last year, many health insurance companies nationwide announced policies to cover out-of-pocket costs for Covid-19 patients.

Kaiser Permanente was among them, saying any members who got the coronavirus would not have to pay for virus-related treatments beginning on April 1, 2020.

The policy ensured that patients who caught the virus wouldn’t return home to exorbitant bills. But as vaccines have become readily available, some health insurance companies including Kaiser are rolling back their generous policies.

“With the economy making positive strides toward recovery and broad vaccination well underway, the cost impediment is no longer as acute as it was at the start of the pandemic,” company spokeswoman Laura Lott said in an email.
(..)
Kaiser stopped covering out-of-pocket costs for Covid patients nationwide on Aug. 1, affecting about 190,000 members in Hawaii, Lott said.

Kaiser isn’t the first health insurance company to make the switch. NBC News reported that in January, health insurer Anthem stopped paying out-of-pocket costs for coronavirus patients. Aetna followed in February, and UnitedHealth stopped providing Covid waivers for out-of-pocket costs in March.

Kaiser is now covering Covid-like any other illness, Lott said. Patients are responsible for copays, which range widely depending on the severity of the illness and the treatment needed.

She said patients hospitalized prior to Aug. 1 won’t owe anything for Covid care, and Medicare and Medicaid patients are exempt.
(..)
The Kaiser change applies to patients regardless of vaccination status. But people who are unvaccinated are far more likely to get seriously sick from the virus, end up in the hospital and die.
(..)
Sticker Shock
The sticker shock for Covid hospitalization is no joke. MarketWatch reported last year that one Seattle Covid patient got a bill for more than $1 million after spending a month on a ventilator. The high cost of health care in the U.S. is one reason why medical debt is a leading cause of bankruptcy.
(..)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Kunabomber posted:

lol, that sinking feeling when your kid mentions that 2 kids are out sick

truly sorry for your lots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

ajkalan posted:

Also make sure to look for great deals on some essential back-to-school goodies!

Submerge your child in a bathtub of deer ticks safely!

Detect Lyme disease at home with an FDA-approved test, plus other safety essentials