Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I read all three Myst tie in novels as a kid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Thom12255 posted:

I have never been able to get through a Myst game because there is just something inherently creepy about how the world is presented and I feel terrified to actually move around in it, as if there will be a jump scare any second. I know that is not the case but still can't play it myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3APvP-t_NY

ixnay
Jun 11, 2002

rainbow dash why are you making such a cool face?!
Apparently Myst will be one of the first games to use the AMD equivalent of DLSS on Xbox https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2021/08/17/myst-is-coming-august-26-with-xbox-game-pass/

quote:

One of the technical features we’ve used to achieve this is AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution. This allows us to crank the graphics quality much higher than we typically would be able to. Thanks to FSR, Myst ican run in 4K at a smooth 60fps on Xbox Series X with the highest graphics setting across the board, and at 1440p at 60fps on Xbox Series S!

With FSR, we effectively decrease the screen percentage of the game down in the background, then allow the super sampling process to sharpen the image. There are some minor differences to how the game looks at native 4K resolution without screen percentage adjustments, but overall, FSR provides a nearly 75% increase in performance on Xbox Series X|S on a 4K display, without sacrificing much visual fidelity at all.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I'm looking for more Game Pass games that are good for lazy olds to play because the idea of playing anything that requires online cooperation or the level of commitment needed to succeed at sports games is mentally exhausting....
Are there non-AAA strategy or adventure type games I should check out?
I really like Bring Me the Moon and I spend most of my time with RTS games or replaying old FPS/RPG games (Mass Effects and Fallouts).

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Barudak posted:

I cannot believe I'm spoiling Myst of all loving things but You don't need to do a single age to beat the game, as long as you know the solution to getting the final page and accessing Atrus's book you can do the whole game immediately and it takes no time at all for even a relatively casual person

ohhhhhh big fella there ain't a single thing about any Myst game (well, maybe up to and including Uru) that would be news to me

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Cyan made a new version of Myst recently. Mainly for VR but I think they also made a version for regular playing.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ZeeBoi posted:

Cyan made a new version of Myst recently. Mainly for VR but I think they also made a version for regular playing.

Yes, that's the version going on Game Pass next week.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

barnold posted:

ohhhhhh big fella there ain't a single thing about any Myst game (well, maybe up to and including Uru) that would be news to me

Just double checking.

Uru and those goddamn motherfycking fireflies

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

tadashi posted:

I'm looking for more Game Pass games that are good for lazy olds to play because the idea of playing anything that requires online cooperation or the level of commitment needed to succeed at sports games is mentally exhausting....
I really like Bring Me the Moon and I spend most of my time with RTS games or replaying old FPS/RPG games (Mass Effects and Fallouts).

Greedfall is very ME1, but Fantasy Age of Sail and no vehicle sections.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

tadashi posted:

The Wild at Heart and Dodgeball Academia are recent Game Pass additions that I've been having a ton of fun with. Also check out Carto and Genesis Noir if those type of games are your style/speed.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

I read all three Myst tie in novels as a kid

Were they good?

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Barudak posted:

Just double checking.

Uru and those goddamn motherfycking fireflies

I loved Uru, which is apparently an unpopular opinion, but that poo poo made me want to rip my hair out. That and figuring out that I had to actually jump across the spinning platforms on the roof in Gahreesen. I kept just trying to sprint off the edge and falling to my death

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Is this same gameplay loop all there is to Hades?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It is a roguelike yes.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ColdPie posted:

Were they good?

I liked the Myst novels a lot back when I was 12 but I wouldn't really want to spoil my memory by rereading them.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Blue Raider posted:

Is this same gameplay loop all there is to Hades?
Yeah. You're meant to beat it multiple times to unlock all the lore, and you can build your relationships with each of the characters. But in terms of gameplay what you see is what you get.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
I read the Doom: Knee Deep in the Dead novelization and remember liking it a lot. So years later I picked up the Hell on Earth and Infernal Sky novels and they were hot garbage and I can only assume the first one was too.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I had no idea that Twelve Minutes game was coming out so soon. That's awesome, I've been looking forward to it for a while now. Game Pass continues to dunk on 'em.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

American McGay posted:

Yeah. You're meant to beat it multiple times to unlock all the lore, and you can build your relationships with each of the characters. But in terms of gameplay what you see is what you get.

Ah, that’s a bummer. I like the tone and characters quite a bit, but the gameplay isn’t doing it for me really.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

ColdPie posted:

Were they good?

I enjoyed them but I was a kid. It filled in a lot of backstory.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I remember liking the Book of Ti’ana the best and it’s the oldest one in terms of the Myst chronology, so if you want to see if they hold up today I guess that’s where you’d start.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

New SCUF controllers that apparently use the microsoft board.

https://scufgaming.com/xbox-scuf-instinct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYoU7AteUoc

MS refuses to replace my defective elite 2, might pick one of these up.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

kri kri posted:

New SCUF controllers that apparently use the microsoft board.

https://scufgaming.com/xbox-scuf-instinct

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYoU7AteUoc

MS refuses to replace my defective elite 2, might pick one of these up.

I love the color scheme. Fits in with my decor in my game room (go beavs!!)

Also the diablo 2 beta ended and the open beta doesnt start until the 20th i think. Wasted like 10 minutes of my lunch break going "why can't I connect to battle.net?"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Had to do some car licensing poo poo today but it was right next to this cool used game shop and I picked up Forza Horizon 1 for 20 bucks and now I'm playing it on my series x :toot:

e: some of this 2012 soundtrack stuff slaps hard and is 11 years old :stare:

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 17, 2021

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

otter posted:

I love the color scheme. Fits in with my decor in my game room (go beavs!!)

Also the diablo 2 beta ended and the open beta doesnt start until the 20th i think. Wasted like 10 minutes of my lunch break going "why can't I connect to battle.net?"

I spent way too much time on that open beta (I discovered that it's just the first two acts by... playing to the end of Act II!) Something about Diablo just pulls me in every time. Lots of strong nostalgia for D2, also.

I do hope they iron out the lag for release, because the only thing worse than network lag is late 90s style network lag. Besides that, I can't wait for retail. I went from "eh I'll pass & wait for D4" to day one purchase.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Sighence posted:

Greedfall is very ME1, but Fantasy Age of Sail and no vehicle sections.

I've been playing Greedfall recently. It has a bit of AA game jank but otherwise is a pretty good RPG that reminds me of Dragon Age.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Very glad I held out on not buying Hades. It is the pinnacle of making a genre I do not like appeal to me and it turns out, surprise, I still do not really like it

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Same, I don't like Hades but it's not the game, it's me. I don't like fast-paced action stuff. And I'm not sure I even 'get' roguelikes tbh, last one I played my character was an '@'.

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’d recommend trying all the weapons before completely dropping Hades, you can unlock all of em pretty quickly and combat feels very different between them all, the last one especially is a bizarre gun thing. That and the bow makes the game feel less like an action brawler and more like Gauntlet Legends on the N64.

Just learned today in Zagreus’s mirror you can change the magic system from picking it up after every kill, to more a typical recharge.

Lube Enthusiast fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 18, 2021

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I got sucked into Hades real bad. Managed a few victories without God mode after bashing my head against bosses but after that I turned it on and didn’t look back.

I’ve managed to get through with every weapon except the blade. IMO it’s the worst one. Hit the credits not too long ago and there’s still more to do.

Amazing how much mileage they get out of the game’s content with good writing/voicing and some randomization (though it really isn’t that much, the rooms are fixed designs and not procedural).

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Yeah I hate the sword and the gloves but managed to get a decent throw build on the sword with the damage on dislodge and just spammed that with the sword that dislodges throws on specials

Gloves I just went as much special damage / perks and defense as possible and spammed the impervious ultimate whenever it was up was probs the easiest run I've had

Definitely like ranged play better

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

hanyolo posted:

Yeah I hate the sword and the gloves but managed to get a decent throw build on the sword with the damage on dislodge and just spammed that with the sword that dislodges throws on specials

Gloves I just went as much special damage / perks and defense as possible and spammed the impervious ultimate whenever it was up was probs the easiest run I've had

Definitely like ranged play better

Gloves are crazy, you can spam dash-attack all over the place - I suppose you can with other weapons too but not as efficient, except maybe the spear if you get good boons for it.

Very good against the late-game satyrs to prevent them from being able to spit poison, just constantly interrupt.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Huge part of what makes Hades so great is the variety of playstyles it will allow between the different weapons. The gloves are by far my favorite and I can't stand the gun or shield, but I've talked to and read posts from plenty of folks who feel exactly the opposite. Or they'll praise the bow, which to me is middling as hell.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Reflect on special makes the bow insane

Lube Enthusiast
May 26, 2016

I’ve yet to see the weapon transformations so maybe they fix this: But It’s missing a slow but powerful weapon like a great axe, which is really my only complaint. That and those bomb throwing rear end holes that drop ordnance on death

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Lube Enthusiast posted:

I’ve yet to see the weapon transformations so maybe they fix this: But It’s missing a slow but powerful weapon like a great axe, which is really my only complaint. That and those bomb throwing rear end holes that drop ordnance on death

I’m admittedly not an expert, but I don’t know how well a slow strong weapon would work in practice. On the bigger fights, you have to dodge so much poo poo consistently that you can’t really go on the offensive without your weapon doing the work for you instantly like the shield with the buff that makes it hit four guys every throw.

I’m thinking about one fight in particular with two dudes, and you’d eat poo poo every time trying to wind up a hit. Idk, maybe not.

Also, the game has some enemies that are obnoxious just to be obnoxious and not fun to fight. The bomb throwers and shmup wizards are both examples of this. The game is honestly pretty fun, but I can’t imagine playing enough of it to fill in the codex.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The last unlockable blade form is a slower variant that hits hard, kinda like what you describe.

It “solves” the mobility problem by giving special a new ability, which creates a field that slows enemies and incoming projectiles.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
They also solve the windup problem with the sword special, which is the slowest windup attack in the game, by allowing you to start the attack animation during, or even right before a dash. Which is a huge part of using the sword well imo

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
hades is almost the perfect game for me. my current win streak on hades is something like 175, with my 32 heat run somewhere in the middle of it. i have everything unlocked except the titles, which i'm grinding darkness for. the biggest thing is mastering dashing. you're invulnerable during it, and you can do it during some attacks. if you get the option of extra dashes from hermes, get it. the other thing is just paying attention. all the enemies telegraph their attacks, so you should have plenty of time to avoid them. when you see a new enemy, stand back and learn what they do. a lot of times the best strategy is to dash through them, especially bosses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Toaster Beef posted:

Huge part of what makes Hades so great is the variety of playstyles it will allow between the different weapons. The gloves are by far my favorite and I can't stand the gun or shield, but I've talked to and read posts from plenty of folks who feel exactly the opposite. Or they'll praise the bow, which to me is middling as hell.

When I first heard that people thought bow was easiest or best I was so confused and am still baffled by the idea of willingly choosing the bow.

Gun and shield are the best two weapons.