Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
That goddamn tail again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Codependent Poster posted:

The shading under her nipples makes it look like she's had breast augmentation surgery.

That combined with the scars(?) under her breasts really makes it look that way. Are her nips supposed to be so hard they're casting a shadow? That shading is weird as hell if its not supposed to look like she had an anchor lift

Actually, I dont remember now, but was her body grown out of a plant or was it taken over by a plant, because I thought she was grown, and if so I dont remember if all the scars on her body were explained. All i remember about her origin is that it was overly convoluted and didnt make a ton of sense if you thought about it too hard.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Grown out of a plant. The scars have never been explained, because even though she's able to speak, read, and write now, they've never had a conversation.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Amazingly bad pacing for this whole sequence. We started with one page of corpsemom revealing she wants a name, smash cut to Snout going to sleep. Then we get a very, very slow dream sequence and instead of unpacking any of that the second corpsemom wakes up we’re immediately back in the book of baby names.

And you know, your run of the mill predictable writer would establish a character wants a name, have them experience a vision-like dream sequence and then have them pick a name somehow relating to that. Innovators make sure to let you know the vision-like dream doesn't matter at all, our characters aren't even interested in discussing it. Much easier to pick a random name out a book.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh noooo

I mean, at least he didn't name her LaShawnda or something, but still, yikes, dawg

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

So it looks like she already decided on a name and decided to just…sleep on it?

Snout didn’t help at all.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is the name supposed to have come from the dream, maybe???

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Samovar posted:

Is the name supposed to have come from the dream, maybe???

You would think! But establishing that she was looking through the book for a name and then having her pick a name from the book strongly implies she just saw the name there and liked it. If we’re supposed to think she got the name from the dream why not just have her tell Snout her new name?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Riot Bus posted:

So.... Did she not experience the dream also? I'm guessing not since she apparently woke up with something completely different on her mind?

Snout was so sure that they were having a shared dream, but didn't bother to wake her up (despite her being in danger in the dream) and she seems like nothing happened to her so I guess it wasn't a shared dream?

It probably actually was a shared dream but she just felt it was so important to tell Snout she'd picked a name that she didn't have time to be anxious or worried or concerned or curious. We'll just get Snout writing in his journal that Corpsemomwife told him that she had the same dream as him at breakfast or something.

And yeah I know she has a name now but I'm not calling her that.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Maxwell Lord posted:

That goddamn tail again

And those elbow spikes! It looks like those spikes would catch on the bed sheets and risk stabbing Corpseiaiaianda too. What a couple of unpleasant character designs.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Oh, hey, Mookie has a blog post on why he chose that name: https://www.dominic-deegan.com/why-kaianda/

Why Kaianda?
I chose to name Snout’s vine clone friend “Kaianda” because I went to college with someone of the same name, only she spelled it with a C.

We weren’t very close. In fact, we barely knew each other. We spoke a few times in those first few months of freshman year, where everyone is eager to meet as many new people as possible. We were both Acting majors so our paths crossed here and there, but overall, I can count on one hand the amount of times we spoke to one another.

But after all these years, and despite having barely grazed each other’s social circles, her name always stuck with me. Caianda. And so, when deciding on a name for a major character in this story, I remembered a name that my brain had decided to latch on to. I not only think it’s a very pretty name, but apparently an enduring one.

Sometimes, when you’re gathering life experiences to put somewhere in your creative works, it can be the simple things that endure in your mind. Not every memory has to be deep and meaningful, or have a lengthy story behind it.

Sometimes inspiration can come from a brief encounter with a pretty name.

:what:

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Oh, hey, Mookie has a blog post on why he chose that name: https://www.dominic-deegan.com/why-kaianda/

Why Kaianda?
I chose to name Snout’s vine clone friend “Kaianda” because I went to college with someone of the same name, only she spelled it with a C.

We weren’t very close. In fact, we barely knew each other. We spoke a few times in those first few months of freshman year, where everyone is eager to meet as many new people as possible. We were both Acting majors so our paths crossed here and there, but overall, I can count on one hand the amount of times we spoke to one another.

But after all these years, and despite having barely grazed each other’s social circles, her name always stuck with me. Caianda. And so, when deciding on a name for a major character in this story, I remembered a name that my brain had decided to latch on to. I not only think it’s a very pretty name, but apparently an enduring one.

Sometimes, when you’re gathering life experiences to put somewhere in your creative works, it can be the simple things that endure in your mind. Not every memory has to be deep and meaningful, or have a lengthy story behind it.

Sometimes inspiration can come from a brief encounter with a pretty name.

:what:

hahaha acting major eh

yeah... that makes sense

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why write a blog post when the entire story was "I met someone who had that name and I liked it"? Did we need to know you didn't know her and didn't talk to her? What does that add? Why does he apparently think this is a profound story?

Every time Mookie does something like this he's cemented in my mind as the very cringey person I imagine he is.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Why write a blog post when the entire story was "I met someone who had that name and I liked it"? Did we need to know you didn't know her and didn't talk to her? What does that add? Why does he apparently think this is a profound story?

Every time Mookie does something like this he's cemented in my mind as the very cringey person I imagine he is.

he imagines every choice he makes is a soulful expression of his art

exactly the kind of stuff a bad artist uses as a crutch

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mookie: Hey, remember me from college? I named a character in my comic after you!

Caianda: Oh, uh, that's nice. What's she like?

Mookie: She's black and covered in scars and naked all the time and she hit the main character because she was sad but now she's better and doesn't hit him anymore! And they like to cuddle naked and may or may not have sex soon! And they show up in each other's dreams where they're also naked and she's infested with necromantic vines and

Caianda: Hello, police?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

He replaced the C with a K so it’s fine.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem
If I was Caianda and I found this I'd be so loving skeeved out

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Somewhere, Caianda feels someone walk over her grave.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Roman Reigns posted:

He replaced the C with a K so it’s fine.

Worked for Ed Boon.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

So who had money on "Some leftover baggage from his college days"?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
lmao it's not even baggage! Just "I barely knew someone with a cool name" only romanticized to hell. It's so innocuous that I feel it barely warranted the blog post, especially since it completely ruins any speculation on why she chose this name specifically. It doesn't mean anything to her or originate from the vines in her dreams, just a pretty name that only means something to Mookie.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
As someone who grew up with an ethnic name and knows a lot of other people who same, this feels grossly exotifying, especially on top of how gross Kaianda's situation is as it stands.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Caphi posted:

As someone who grew up with an ethnic name and knows a lot of other people who same, this feels grossly exotifying, especially on top of how gross Kaianda's situation is as it stands.

Mind of a child, always naked, coded as black, and named after someone Mookie knew (and made that non-story about himself in a very creepy way). Whatever could you mean?

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Billy Gnosis posted:

Mind of a child, always naked, coded as black, and named after someone Mookie knew (and made that non-story about himself in a very creepy way). Whatever could you mean?

And violent, don't forget that!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Dammerung posted:

And violent, don't forget that!

No, no, Snout was nice to her and fixed that! That's how it works, after all.

GreenMetalSun
Oct 12, 2012

Billy Gnosis posted:

coded as black,

Unless this has a meaning I’m not aware of, she isn’t ‘coded’ black, she’s actually black. Mookie’s done coloured art of her on Twitter.

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
Should've known it'd be "I knew one Black woman in college slightly"

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

GreenMetalSun posted:

Unless this has a meaning I’m not aware of, she isn’t ‘coded’ black, she’s actually black. Mookie’s done coloured art of her on Twitter.

Oh OK I never saw the colored art. I should have said implied to be black anyways.

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Should've known it'd be "I knew one Black woman in college slightly"

Just when you think this comic (and especially everything about this character) can't get creepier, it does.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

uh

but...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I don't post as often anymore because all I'd post is variations of "I hate this comic"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Same, there's only so many ways I can say one thing.

*stitches a tag that says HATES DOMINIC DEEGAN on her shirt*

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Wait, but... Ink Witches DON'T pick names. I thought that was their whole thing.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
But you see, they love it when other people pick names. Other people, outside of their coven. Cause if you're in the coven, you get rid of your name. The thing that's a big deal for them.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Wait, but... Ink Witches DON'T pick names. I thought that was their whole thing.

Don't worry, we'll probably get another page or two of Snout reading notes clarifying the whole thing. Maybe even another recap!

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Mookie forgot about his own lore yet again. Don't overthink it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Did Ink Witch and other guy sleep together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
No dialogue!