Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
Yeah I feel like the entirety of the anticipation right now is for a Quake 1 redo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

ROFLburger posted:

is this a bit?

Absolutely not.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

I'd like id to make a game with the same gameplay concept as Eternal but in a different franchise maybe.
Like, Hexen Eternal would be incredible.
I mean, I think Heretic is a far better game then Hexen, but Heretic is apparently in rights limbo, don't know if the same applies to Hexen.

Do you think having the class system would be important? I never really liked that about Hexen, as cool as it was on paper, it kinda just meant you got less "guns."

But between Heretic and Hexen combined, there's a lot you could pull from while making a singular arsenal.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Oxyclean posted:

But between Heretic and Hexen combined, there's a lot you could pull from while making a singular arsenal.

Right, you could make the main character spec it out like a RPG FPS like Dishonored. I'd say to avoid making the skills usage too much of a System Shock-like thing though.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
As fark as Quake goes, Trent Reznor is still scoring stuff. Just putting that out in the universe.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

I mean, I think Heretic is a far better game then Hexen, but Heretic is apparently in rights limbo, don't know if the same applies to Hexen.

Do you think having the class system would be important? I never really liked that about Hexen, as cool as it was on paper, it kinda just meant you got less "guns."

Having different characters/sets of moves is very fun in these kinds of games but not a necessity, no.

I just mainly wanna do an Aerial Rave in first person to be honest.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
hexen/heretic eternal would be a good place for id to finally get fps melee right. vermintide nailed it, sure, but the crucible and blood punches can still be pretty janky to the game's detriment, if mainly because they're less melee attacks and more like grapples, if you get what i mean

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Dameius posted:

As fark as Quake goes, Trent Reznor is still scoring stuff. Just putting that out in the universe.
*Zoidberg voice* "And I'm his friend, Frank Klepacki!"

I can't imagine they aren't at least aware of each other, even if they haven't collab'd as much as they ought to've (never, to my knowledge)

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Why would they have MachineGames at the "25 years of Quake" panel? They never did anything for Quake, IIRC (the expansions were Raven and Hipnotic for Quake 1, Rogue and Xatrix for Quake 2). There is only one explanation: Quake 1 Remake by id and MachineGames.

It's basically confirmed. Quake hype.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I was not able to get the DOS emulator working to run my buddy's copy of Quake on so I'm looking forward to it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

tuo posted:

Why would they have MachineGames at the "25 years of Quake" panel? They never did anything for Quake, IIRC (the expansions were Raven and Hipnotic for Quake 1, Rogue and Xatrix for Quake 2). There is only one explanation: Quake 1 Remake by id and MachineGames.

It's basically confirmed. Quake hype.
They had this for the description for the DigitalFoundry talk for a minute before going "oops" and editing it out:

So it's a "revitalized edition", whatever that means. First console port since the N64? HD remaster? New expansion? Shambler realdoll? A full on new game/reboot probably isn't on the list, though.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Machinegames made an unofficial Episode 5 for Quake 1 a few years ago. Haven't played it, but heard good things.

https://twitter.com/machinegames/status/746363189768650752

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Oh poo poo! I never heard of that, I have to check it out.

Of course at this point I might just sit and wait in case a Q1 remaster/remake is in the works and they include it

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!
Quake 1 RTX maybe?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Doom … Doom 2016
Quake… Quake 2022
:pray:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Im an Unreal Tournament man myself

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Bust Rodd posted:

:rip::hf::rip:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

well you can get ut weapons in Warframe, and I hear Fortnite is popular!!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bust Rodd posted:

Boy do I have bad news for you...

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I just got this on disc for PS4 from the library and popped it in my PS5. It's now downloading so many different files - I have no idea what's what. How do I make sure I'm playing the PS5 version? It's downloading these four:

Doom Eternal Campaign | PS5
Doom Eternal | PS5
Doom Eternal | PS4
Doom Eternal: version 1.19 | PS4

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

either of the ones that say PS5 should open the Eternal launcher

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

IIRC they had to do this when Ancient Gods released at a standalone game. One component is basically all the shared assets and code between the original campaign and Ancient Gods, the other the campaign specific data. As QoP said, launching any of the PS5 things should work.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://twitter.com/GetGianni/status/1426725194605924354

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

No wonder Doomguy's only voiceline is "unf"

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I played through the first few levels and feel like I’m bouncing off compared to Doom 2016. It feels too intense - I barely have any idea what I’m doing half the time because there’s so much going on and so many abilities on cool downs. Does it all ever start to make sense?

Also the UI font size is so incredibly difficult to read.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

dantheman650 posted:

I played through the first few levels and feel like I’m bouncing off compared to Doom 2016. It feels too intense - I barely have any idea what I’m doing half the time because there’s so much going on and so many abilities on cool downs. Does it all ever start to make sense?

The game opens up once you get super shotty and rocketlauncher in the 3rd level. That's when you finally have all your core tools that's you're gonna be using for the rest of the game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

dantheman650 posted:

Dash compulsively, suit upgrade to double dash as soon as you can. Set to ice grenade, grenade if you want some respite. Flame belch things before you glory kill them, free armor. Blood Punch to season. Don't feel obligated to use the tutorial weaknesses every time(i.e. I find Blood Punching Cyber Mancubi to be way too risky for minimal gain, usually get shockwaved for my trouble.) You can play a lot better than this but this keeps everything as easy as possible to start.

Once you get the Dash the mantra is to never stop moving. Grenades are honestly optional at first, I swap to the frost grenade and hit CTRL when I want breathing room. When you want to kill faster and play better you start working in more button presses to swap grenades every so often and belt the normal ones out on top of the weapon quickswaps and stuff, it's free damage. It's a lot easier to switch to the shotgun and grenade mod a caco then to juggle grenades but I default to grenade mod on the shotgun so no mod swapping.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Doomykins posted:

(i.e. I find Blood Punching Cyber Mancubi to be way too risky for minimal gain, usually get shockwaved for my trouble.)

The easiest way I found to kill Cyber Mancubi is actually Meathook - Blood Punch - Super Shotgun - Dash Backwards - Rocket Launcher/Ballista because the Blood Punch - Super Shotgun stuns them perfectly to stop them from doing a shockwave on you but you're right in that the timing on that isn't very lenient.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
if you don't have grenades or an ice bomb handy for stagger/stun, don't forget that an upgraded remote detonate rocket is a guaranteed stagger

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Quakecon today

https://twitch.tv/bethesda

the announcement was remastered quake :smith:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ROFLburger posted:

Quakecon today

https://twitch.tv/bethesda

the announcement was remastered quake :smith:

Just a remaster? Lame. I was hoping it was QUAKE Eternal or something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The good news is, that means Machine Games isn't working on a new Quake, so maybe id will be doing it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Id love more games from Machine but I wanna see the Doom Eternal team tackle a single player quake, hopefully something in the vein of a sequel to Quake 1.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jack Trades posted:

Just a remaster? Lame. I was hoping it was QUAKE Eternal or something.

For all we know this is designed to build hype around the Quake 1 IP and they just aren't ready to show us their work on Quake Eternal yet.

Maaaaybe.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mindblast posted:

Id love more games from Machine but I wanna see the Doom Eternal team tackle a single player quake, hopefully something in the vein of a sequel to Quake 1.

Hell yeah

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
New bodysuit available with QuakeCon - just login and you get a Quake theme suit

(no streaming required)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
There was also a brief update on Doom Eternal development at Quakecon:

• Update 6.6 comes this fall, bringing Master Level versions of Mars Core and World Spear. The latter will require judicious use of the Sentinel Hammer.
  • Battlemode updates are in the works, including better matchmaking based on win streaks and a new arena.
  • Horde Mode will have semi-randomized encounters in multiple arenas you traverse between, kill challenges for higher score, and some kind of endgame.
  • The Ancient Gods Part 2 lands on Switch next Thursday.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
Any news of the Goddamn Sentinel Armor popping for the Ole Red Eyes fight?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Finished Taras Nabad Master level on Hurt me Plenty. Jesus christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
Is this a bug, looks like it didn't pick up that I already got the weapon mod on super gore nest, and the challenges for cultist base got completely reset, I tried re-doing them and it doesn't pick it up at all or show any progression. Any known fixes?