Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Placed 9th in an unsanctioned for-fun tournament. Got a bag and three discs out of it, so that was worth the price alone. Had a good time, would tournament again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Got my longest throw yet, all it took was concentration on form a big tailwind and a 30 foot elevation drop. My normal average is far shorter. Hoping to hit 500 one day. I’m curious to what extent age is a limiting factor. If I started at 25 (or like… 6 like half of these pros it seems) instead of 36 would I be boosting that extra 50-100 feet?

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Whelp trying Disc Golf for the first time tomorrow. Apparently we have a pretty large and active community of disc golf people and a few courses are only 30 minutes away from me. Got invited to meet up with some people and pretty drat excited
Since the Buzz in the OP appears to be sold out I ordered this one for the mid range and for the putter
That was before seeing how the owner of Innova is so at some point I'm likely to get some other disc. I love the crazy look of some of the disc but let's see if I like the sport before buying more. Will post a report tomorrow

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Elysium posted:

Got my longest throw yet, all it took was concentration on form a big tailwind and a 30 foot elevation drop. My normal average is far shorter. Hoping to hit 500 one day. I’m curious to what extent age is a limiting factor. If I started at 25 (or like… 6 like half of these pros it seems) instead of 36 would I be boosting that extra 50-100 feet?

I'm watching Tristan Tanner, Drew Gibson, and Seppo Paju vida. All have short movements and loooo g explosive drives. Tristan especially emphasizes it's not power so much as timing.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

Tiny Chalupa posted:

Whelp trying Disc Golf for the first time tomorrow. Apparently we have a pretty large and active community of disc golf people and a few courses are only 30 minutes away from me. Got invited to meet up with some people and pretty drat excited
Since the Buzz in the OP appears to be sold out I ordered this one for the mid range and for the putter
That was before seeing how the owner of Innova is so at some point I'm likely to get some other disc. I love the crazy look of some of the disc but let's see if I like the sport before buying more. Will post a report tomorrow

You picked the right discs. Well, I don't like the Aviar too much but the Mako3 is great. I bought one today actually. Next on your list for drivers is probably the Leopard or Leopard3.

Elysium posted:

Terns bomb. I try to evangelize Terns all the time. Second best bomber is Westside Sorcerer. Current bomber: Used Infinite Sphinx Zoe Andyke edition.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

unbuttonedclone posted:

Terns bomb. I try to evangelize Terns all the time. Second best bomber is Westside Sorcerer. Current bomber: Used Infinite Sphinx Zoe Andyke edition.

I got it as my free disc with my factory seconds, but I never actually throw it on the course. Don’t have any kind of reliable shot shape with it whatsoever. Actually the only time I ever threw it on a course I lost it and someone found it a few weeks later.

I’ve been throwing a River for most distance shots since I got it a few weeks ago. I can get it out to about 400 and it just always goes dead straight.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

unbuttonedclone posted:

You picked the right discs. Well, I don't like the Aviar too much but the Mako3 is great. I bought one today actually. Next on your list for drivers is probably the Leopard or Leopard3.

Thanks, I'll look into a driver once I get comfortable with the mid range.

What would you recommend for a putter? Amazon has lost my package and need to order a different one now

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

What would you recommend for a putter? Amazon has lost my package and need to order a different one now

Almost anything will be fine. Aviar (and its variations) is probably the most used disc on the planet. Many putters were originally based on the Aviar anyway. Here are some good putter names in no particular order: Wizard, Judge, Warden, Link, Roach, Luna, Fierce, P2.

Where it gets really confusing is there are many discs called “putters” that people don’t really putt into the chains ever, and just use them for approaches and short drives. And then just as many people that DO putt with those…

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Just got into this perfect game a couple weeks ago at the recommendation of a friend was huge into it 6 years ago. We’ve ran out of money playing golf all summer and needed something free to amuse ourselves with. Love the absence of tee times or the care of clothing or costs or anything really. Shot my first bogey round yesterday and felt really good.

It’s cool how the same thought processes of golf like approach, curve and trying too hard and loving up big time are so similar. What a kick rear end game. Thanks for posting all these videos op.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Disc golf does, in fact, rule. A friend started a league recently, and on Saturday morning I played well enough to take home the #2 tag (there are only ~45 members so far). Then on Monday we played and a friend and I had a fierce battle. He got off to a quick start but I came back and coming to the tee on #14 I had a one stroke lead. I threw a decent drive that finished about 45' past the basket and then this mfer steps up to the teepad and hits a beautiful ace on a flex line that missed a tree by maybe an inch. He was able to match me shot for shot down the stretch so he took the tag off of me, but drat it was fun.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I've played another couple of rounds at my neighborhood spot, where it's usually just me. Then yesterday I hit up a little 9 hole par 3 with a friend (she was just along to make sure I was mocked accordingly). The flat 200-250' holes were a nice ego boost over the neighborhood course that has some long holes with varying elevations. It was decently busy, there were a couple of groups on the first tee when we got there and had a couple roll up right after us. So I pretty much would throw 2 discs off the pad and played "best ball". On the 4th or 5th hole the basket isn't visible and one of my drives landed well under a tree. I'm not 100% adhering to rules right now as I'm just working on the mechanics of throwing a disc for the most part. On this lie I said something to my friend about the rules saying where my foot had to be, and threw a forehand all weirdly crabbed out and hit the basket pole from 80ish feet away and she just said "you should probably throw like that always."

Also, there was a guy in the group ahead of us that was throwing a weird overhanded forehand on drives that looks like it could be fun. The disc rotated slowly as it reached the peak and dropped, anybody know what that might be called so I can look at youtubes.

slicing up eyeballs
Oct 19, 2005

I got me two olives and a couple of limes

quote:

Also, there was a guy in the group ahead of us that was throwing a weird overhanded forehand on drives that looks like it could be fun.

Is that the dreaded (for me) hammer throw

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

highme posted:

Also, there was a guy in the group ahead of us that was throwing a weird overhanded forehand on drives that looks like it could be fun. The disc rotated slowly as it reached the peak and dropped, anybody know what that might be called so I can look at youtubes.

A tomahawk or a thumber. They pan different directions. There is also the grenade, but that uses more of a backhand motion. Look up "disc golf utility shots" on Youtube for an overview. Be careful, they hurt my arm a lot but my rotator cuff is kind of a wimp.

highme
May 25, 2001

Yep, that was it, thanks!

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008

highme posted:

Yep, that was it, thanks!

Why you're at it, look into forehand rollers. They are a utility shot I use all the time. Not so much for drives but for getting out of trouble/dealing with low ceilings with a putter or mid.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My partner gave me an early birthday gift - a Dynamic Discs Trooper backpack :swoon:

I currently keep 9 discs in my bag, and this thing is huuuuuge. Will definitely carry more beers now...

Posting this partially as a timestamp - the bag feels so big and spacious right now, I'm wondering how long it'll take before I grow out of it, haha!

highme
May 25, 2001

unbuttonedclone posted:

Why you're at it, look into forehand rollers. They are a utility shot I use all the time. Not so much for drives but for getting out of trouble/dealing with low ceilings with a putter or mid.

Looked into them and will be throwing some of those soon too.

For other noobs, I’ve personally found these Latitude 64 videos the most engaging and useful.

https://youtu.be/DRy1wKji-HE

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012
Played for the first time this weekend and did absolutely awful. Shot a breezy +25 on a 12 hole course, but my husband did better with a +18. I did not do any research or realize that the throw style is completely different than Ultimate. My kid fell over and touched a cactus. Baby got sick of the stroller and had to be carried for the last two holes. Arm is sore as hell today but

Holy poo poo, disc golf is fun as gently caress. I am looking forward to playing more and getting better and maybe trying to connect with the local scene because we met some very cool folks out there

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

John Cenas Jorts posted:

Played for the first time this weekend and did absolutely awful. Shot a breezy +25 on a 12 hole course, but my husband did better with a +18. I did not do any research or realize that the throw style is completely different than Ultimate. My kid fell over and touched a cactus. Baby got sick of the stroller and had to be carried for the last two holes. Arm is sore as hell today but

Holy poo poo, disc golf is fun as gently caress. I am looking forward to playing more and getting better and maybe trying to connect with the local scene because we met some very cool folks out there

As a convert from ultimate as well, don't let it discourage you! Also, I'm still working on breaking my muscle memory on some shots but the biggest thing for me was just throwing with less intensity. Every time I throw slower than I want to, I improve. I wasted like 6 months trying to bomb it like an ultrastar. Have fun!

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

I’ve been focusing on throwing more putters. Sometimes off the tee on shorter holes. I dont have too many long courses here. I’m improving a ton this way, birdied a hole I’ve never birdied, etc. Im better when I do throw a driver, too. Highly recommend exploring the slower end of things!

highme
May 25, 2001

I just bought a handful of used putters yesterday to do field work with focusing on form and throwing straight. Went to a park closer to my buddy's house last week and found a great place to practice. For whatever reason, there's a 3 or 4 foot section of concrete perpendicular to the main sidewalk that makes for a nice tee pad and faces a sprawling expanse of grass. About 200' straight ahead there's the corner post of a 20' ish fence surrounding futsal courts that makes for a good target. There are also some elevated spots looking over that same field.

John Cenas Jorts
Dec 21, 2012

Dr Intergalactic posted:

Trying to bomb it like an ultrastar

Wow this was 100% it! Glad it's not just me! Like, I genuinely don't mind being terrible at something. I'm not a very competitive person by nature, but I just couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. Now I know that it was "everything" lol. Gonna do some practice slow throws in a field and see if I can convince my kid to fetch the discs for us

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Learning to slow down my form was like the single best thing for my game. As Danny Lindahl says, "Slow is smooth and smooth is far".

Also putter throwing is a great way to learn how to throw all discs straight and prevent your wrist rolling, since the slower discs will accentuate any angle it's put on.

I think I need to redo my entire putting form because I can't seem to have any sort of consistency, whether I'm playing well or not. I've done a similar style to McBeth for a few years but I'm almost always hitting the right side or just completely sailing wide. I've also had an insane number of spit outs this year including 6 in a row outside C1X. Maybe I'll try some sort of unconventional delivery or just turbo putt every time.

Also threw a Franklin branded driver and it was the most understable thing. I couldn't not turn it over past a roller angle.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Watching Jomez Pro tournament coverage reminds me of when golf tourneys used to be chill. It's so relaxing.

https://www.youtube.com/user/JomezProductions

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Played a local beginner tournament, 9 hole course with no holes longer than ~215. I did alright…

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Aced my first hole ever today! 214ft forehand with a Buzzz. Just lasered it straight into the chains, fuckin A that felt great!

How does everyone mark their aces on their discs? This is my first so I have no idea, haha.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
Just sign it and have whomever sign it that's with you. Don't matter.

I got one at league Fri for $200. Hadn't had one in almost a year!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I witnessed a few this year, including a guy who got his first after 5 years. He then lost it on the very next hole after throwing it into some really thick brush. Felt so bad.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Glad I found this thread! I started back a few months ago after dicking around with DG like 11 years ago. It's been rough having to unlearn all the bad things I did back then, but it's also great getting to see obvious improvement in a fairly short amount of time. I was supposed to play my first tournament yesterday but it was postponed due to heavy rain and flooding, which honestly only helps me at this point considering I'm still improving.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Got a new catty.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Is that disc a m-3-3-0-0-w?

gently caress, I tried.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
Played my first 3 tournaments over the last two weekends… pretty decent haul.

In 4 months I’ve gone from 0 discs to “what am I going to do with these useless prize discs?” and now I have 2 baskets… still have $115 store credit lol. I guess I could get a cart.

Anyone need an uh Ballista Pro? Or a Sargeant, or a King? I think they were offered discs that the store couldn’t move to use as prizes lol. I traded one for a used Meteor already. Some of the others are credit discs I bought to actually use. Got some Rivers and a Zone an Explorer and a Pig to try out. The other used disc is a DDx I found at the tournament.

Elysium fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 27, 2021

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

^^^^^^what's up fellow basket bud :coolspot:

About to set up distance markers in my garage and practice some putting, probably with the kids next door since they love wandering into my garage, haha.

fociP
Mar 28, 2007

There, now the forums will stay open.
What's going on goons just here to post MY ACE DISC

I highly recommend playing with kids so you can play the short tees, plus I have a reminder for my friend's kid that he couldn't spell his name in first grade.

Dr Intergalactic
Apr 21, 2010

CRASH!
:sharpton:
AGAIN!

fociP posted:

I highly recommend playing with kids so you can play the short tees, plus I have a reminder for my friend's kid that he couldn't spell his name in first grade.

hell yeah! congrats. still chasing my first.

Snake Dance
Jan 5, 2020

by Azathoth
Great stuff. I'm finally at the point where I'm getting some actual ace runs so in theory I might actually hit one at some point. In practice I'll be waiting for a long time.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Just spent a 3 day weekend playing 108 holes of disc golf at 4 different courses, all new to me. Me and 3 friends made a road trip of it and toured a couple of courses in the Westchester area of NY. We only have one course nearby now, and it's all I've ever played, so I was ready to absolutely humbled by some other courses.

FDR Park was great, and very close to the city. Really well marked out, gorgeous course, fair and slightly challenging when in the slightly wooded holes.

Beacon Glades has you playing through an old abandoned campground, which was great for this time of year, having the feeling that Jason Voorhees watching you make a lovely putt. A lot of kind of novelty holes. Kind of confusing hole layout, though. Many holes having multiple baskets, sometimes unmarked, and a lot of alternate holes. Not even just alternate tee pads, but entirely alternate holes. So we'd have to choose between Hole 6, Hole 6, or Hole 6a. All the locals we met seemed to love the course, but some would admit the layout is weird, while a few said eeeeeverything is clearly marked for you. Weird, and has a lot of charm, had a great time.

Wilcox Memorial park was amazing. Even the short tees to short baskets were incredibly challenging. I know I'm far from the best, but we were punished incredibly for missing a line even slightly on many of the heavily wooded holes. The elevations in general had us really thinking about the risk/reward of some shots, especially with the slopes around the baskets. Not many times at all did the terrain ever seem helpful to us, only to hinder, and at best, didn't factor in. Again, I know I have a long way to go to being considered good at disc golf, but I have no idea how some people even attempt to play long tees to long baskets there.

Warwick has 3 courses in one spot. The one we didn't play was The Oasis. We first played the Brakewell Steel course, short tees to long baskets. Great course, had some fun verticality, and some very fun tight doglegs in the fairway. Felt like you weren't punished for slightly missing your line, but there was plenty of OB and it was well marked out.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

fociP posted:

I added this to the OP and will continue to add any ace discs that are posted to the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

Lost my first disc on Saturday checking out a brand new course out by a friends house (Dairy Creek Park in Hillsboro, OR). Hole 5 runs has the creek running to the right and finishes left. I figured I was safe to just play it right down the middle, until it flew straight into a tree and ricocheted directly right into a pile of bramble somewhere.

Anyway, fun little 9 hole but the rough is still super rough & overgrown. Next time I play I'll grab my friend's camping machete.