Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

So is all the x-world building just going to come to some kind of abrupt end?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I mean who knows, every Marvel writer and penciler and editor and inker and letterer could get hit by separate meteors tomorrow and tie immediately, but as far as any evidence suggests no, probably not. Even if Hickman leaves, the X-Men are not a creator-owned property. Krakoa is not a creator-owned property.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I mean, it's comics so eventually there will be someone who comes in and is given the keys to completely shake up the X-Men. Especially once they become a movie property.

But it's not an imminent thing. Hickman's personal role in the line is already way down as is.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

I mean, it's comics so eventually there will be someone who comes in and is given the keys to completely shake up the X-Men. Especially once they become a movie property.

But it's not an imminent thing. Hickman's personal role in the line is already way down as is.

but many people have already said that Hickman's X-Men is the MCU-friendly shake up!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Alaois posted:

but many people have already said that Hickman's X-Men is the MCU-friendly shake up!

Excited for a Hellions movie and an X-Force film where Beast commits genocide and Quire dies every 5 minutes and Mystique screams about her dead elderly wife and Arrako.

Perfect setup for a film franchise imo.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

yeah I was hoping the new interesting status quo stuck around a bit longer before editorial fucks it up again but what're you going to do. Follow the writers that interest you where they go, not the characters they write.

At least til they turn out to be sex pests.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's a 100% chance that Hickman has like a ream of notes including diagrams, flowcharts, and decision trees he'll leave with them that they can use to continue things. You know, assuming Hickman is completely done, anyway, which is unclear.

I've been more interested in the non-Hickman stuff anyway.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

I dunno like it's all building to something, loving with the White Hot Room and taking material from it, galactic expansion, Moira's different lives and how mutants would survive being assimilated into a galactic computer civilization, how Scott, Logan, and Jean keep their thrupple the most stable relationship around, I feel like Otherworld stuff is the weak part for me, but the new metal being offered as the same kind of carrot on stick approach on a galactic scale is all going to crumble in the most spectacular fashion you'd have thought Hank McCoy thought up this whole loving plan into downfall.

radlum
May 13, 2013
FWIW, Leah Williams says that most of what happened to Prodigy on the last issue of her X-Factor run wasn't written by her. Seems like in the rush to cancel the title, editors added that to the issue.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

If anyone was curious this is from the most recent Battle of the Atom podcast episode. You can check it out here, it's a pretty good interview.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

surprising no one, Hickman's out: https://ew.com/books/inferno-jonathan-hickman-last-x-men-comic/

X-men comics are still Charlie Brown's football lol

So whats over/under on in how soon they are back at school? 3-4 months from the ending of Inferno?

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Aug 17, 2021

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

fatherboxx posted:

surprising no one, Hickman's out: https://ew.com/books/inferno-jonathan-hickman-last-x-men-comic/

So whats over/under on in how soon they are back at school? 3-4 months from the ending of Inferno?

well, that sucks

tbh, I understand the cynicism, but I honestly don't think there's any imminent return to the pre-Krakoa status quo planned; reading the article, it sounds like that's actually the exact opposite of why Hickman is leaving the line early, that other writers wanted to keep Krakoa going much longer. still wish Hickman had gotten to tell the story he had originally planned, though

radlum posted:

FWIW, Leah Williams says that most of what happened to Prodigy on the last issue of her X-Factor run wasn't written by her. Seems like in the rush to cancel the title, editors added that to the issue.

so an editor came up with the rather tasteless Ed Buck subplot? gross

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

Messed up

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

He talks about a weekly launching in January and they still seem to be hewing to the broad outlines of his three act structure so I highly doubt this is the end of the current overall storyline.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Honestly, they've hired such a strong roster of creators, I think they'll be totally fine without Hickman. We may not get the story he wanted to tell, but is that a bad thing, really, if the story we do get is still good? I guess we'll see!

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

How Wonderful! posted:

He talks about a weekly launching in January and they still seem to be hewing to the broad outlines of his three act structure so I highly doubt this is the end of the current overall storyline.

it sounds less like they're hewing to the original three-act plan and more like they abandoned it in favor of prolonging the first act indefinitely, though of course this is hard to say with any certainty without knowing (a) what happens in Inferno (b) what comes after Inferno (c) what Hickman's original plan actually was

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i swear to god comic book fans are more doom and gloom than wrestling fans somehow lmao

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Alaois posted:

i swear to god comic book fans are more doom and gloom than wrestling fans somehow lmao

Jonathan Hickman is debuting on Friday at First Dance and Tony Khan has cancelled the X-Men.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah, it seems that because of the success and reception to the new status, it's sticking around longer and Inferno is a way to retool it into something that will be the status quo for a while.

Hickman says he's still working for Marvel, so they could have him wrap up the X-Men later as well, but the group probably already knows how it will end.

It'll be interesting to see what the original plan was versus how it turns out going. But if Duggan and Ewing are the main people for X-Men now, the line is still in good hands.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I think it's reasonable to be nervous about a writer you like leaving a comic series earlier than expected and before wrapping up the story, especially given what often happens in that situation. Still room for hope in this instance given the quality collaborators still involved, but there's no way to know how it will shake out until it's all said and done.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Duggan's first two X-Men issues were better than the last several Hickman issues so I'm not sweating it. To be honest the further we put off all that far future X stuff Hickman had planned the better in my opinion. I think the line is good as it is now and better when it's not focused on the mythology of whatever they have planned. Also Hickman can move onto reinvigorating some other property.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Hickman provided some huge ideas that I don't believe anyone other than him could have provided, but it's the people like Duggan and Wells and Spurrier and Ewing and Williams who made it a vehicle for telling stories about mercy and forgiveness and reinvention and grace and all the good poo poo that Claremont and Gillen and Morrison saw and so many less compelling X-writers didn't.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

X-O posted:

Also Hickman can move onto reinvigorating some other property.

Hickman's spins wheel squirrel girl coming summer 2022

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I’d like to see Hickman wrap up the Moira storyline before leaving leaving but as long as everyone else keep building up on Krakoa and they don’t Genosha it a year from now I’ll be happy.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Hickman's spins wheel squirrel girl coming summer 2022

I feel like Ryan North had enough weird side jokes that were dropped after the punch line that Hickman could do amazing things with an ad hoc mythology.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just want to see the charts explaining how she is legally distinct from mutants

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Hickman has already done Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men, and a huge multiversal crossover event, so there isn't really an immediately obvious place he'd go that wouldn't seem like a downgrade from that; he hasn't really written much Spider-Man, and the upcoming Ben Reilly storyline feels very much like a stopgap before someone relaunches ASM with a new #1 next year, but that still doesn't strike me as a "big ideas" Hickman type of book.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Jonathan Hickman's Squirrel Girl: a full page of black-and-white brutalist computer art drawn to surround the phrase EAT NUTS, KICK BUTTS

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Barry Convex posted:

Hickman has already done Fantastic Four, Avengers, X-Men, and a huge multiversal crossover event, so there isn't really an immediately obvious place he'd go that wouldn't seem like a downgrade from that; he hasn't really written much Spider-Man, and the upcoming Ben Reilly storyline feels very much like a stopgap before someone relaunches ASM with a new #1 next year, but that still doesn't strike me as a "big ideas" Hickman type of book.

Zeb Wells is behind the Spider-Man stuff, and it seems like his stuff is more like a relaunch with a long term plan. But he is the only real big character that Hickman has been able to play with, but not directly control.

He could probably do some Young Avengers stuff, especially if he gets them involved with Kang. Or Inhumans since we know he can write them really well, and they could probably use a fresh start after the poor reception of Inhumanity, X-Men vs. Inhumans, and the TV show. And we are having the death of Dr. Strange, which screams that a reboot for that is coming.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hickman talked several times about wanting to write Eternals. Obviously that's taken right now but that, along with his history of big idea books, tells you where his head is at. I don't think he's looking to do Spider-Man or anything street level.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I think he'd have fun with Asgard, although it might not be my cup of tea. And I certainly imagine he has more interesting things to say about the Hulk than loving Donny Cates.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

How Wonderful! posted:

I think he'd have fun with Asgard, although it might not be my cup of tea. And I certainly imagine he has more interesting things to say about the Hulk than loving Donny Cates.

Yeah, he managed to make a compelling story that actually made sense out of the goddamn mess that was Ultimate Thor in a small mini series. I imagine he would work wonders with the real deal.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hickman's champions

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
actually, unironically Hickman should do hyperion because i really dug what he did with the character in avengers and then afterwards everyone who's come along since has kinda poo poo on it

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Has anyone actually used Hickman's Hyperion recently? When was the last time that version of the character was in anything?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ewing used him the best in the one shot issue Avengers 34.1 and I thought the mini after Secret Wars by Chuck Wendig was good. I don't think the Hyperion featured in Aaron's Avengers is the same Hyperion.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
there was that weird story immediately post secret wars where he became a trucker and fought carnies but i guess you're not wrong that every appearance since has been the original squadron supreme version. but that's also sort of what i mean. instead of doing anything with him they just pretend that the new hyperion doesn't exist or something

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

Ewing used him the best in the one shot issue Avengers 34.1 and I thought the mini after Secret Wars by Chuck Wendig was good. I don't think the Hyperion featured in Aaron's Avengers is the same Hyperion.

yeah the end of Heroes Reborn made it clear that the Squadron Supreme Coulson was backing were just simulacra created by Mephisto.

SnatchRabbit
Feb 23, 2006

by sebmojo
poo poo we aren’t getting any resolution to Moira, the chimeras, nimrod, destiny, etc are we. HoX/PoX was the best x story in years and it’s just gonna die. Bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

That seems premature.