Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the tax reform expert has logged on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

jetz0r posted:

BUY GOOD MASKS. STOP USING PLASTIC JUNK WITH lovely MASKS TO MAKE SLIGHTLY LESS lovely MASKS.

Or you can have a bunch of great masks but have to fit a bunch of people gaining/losing weight, disrupting fit, so added support helps keep those masks usable until you have to buy entirely new masks

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
god, im glad i live in the US, where I'm free from the horrific effects of sustained social isolation. here I only have to deal with the constant threat of gun violence, 650,000 people dying of a preventable disease, extremely low wages, homeless people on literally every single street I walk down, and the ever-present threat of still getting covid even though i'm vaccinated, and god, compared to the horror of sustained social isolation I am just so so so happy I live in a FREE and CIVILIZED country otherwise my mind would be COMPLETELY hosed and I would be laughing like the joker pretty much constantly. Haha!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! ehehehe ahahhahEeuheauhaha

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Platystemon posted:

Maybe play it by ear. See if it seems likely your boss will find out.

Bring your card and see if you can get the booster info on it, after you’ve already gotten the needle, no takesie backsies.

i doubt your boss could or would find out if you got a booster at that popup clinic. that's actually one instance where it would be a legitimate and clear hipaa violation

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

euphronius posted:

is vaccine efficacy drop off - say for moderne- different across ages or the same for everyone ?

israel saw strong correlation with age of vaccine and drop off with pfizer. both the olds and healthcare workers who got jabs in january were popping hot breakthroughs

also don't count on moderna being some magic blend that magically still works or resists waning. treat all the vaccines as functionally useless after 6 months. don't try to start gaming it, "well 42% means i'll only do brunch twice a month instead of every weekend"

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

saying "i don't want to pay taxes" makes a person a tax reform expert i guess?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

crepeface posted:

do they say 450 is high? you got pfizer right?

yeah I got Pfizer, last dose late February. 450 u/ml for total antibodies seems solidly middle of the road from the literature I've seen and probably works out to be a neutralizing titer of 90-110 which would be right in the middle for people in my age group as far out from vaccination as I am, according to Pfizer's charts.

not great, not terrible.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

watch the cdc announce no masks again lol

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I think I miss some of my favorite garbage foods from eating out vs the actual eating out "experience". I just can't nail some of the flavors. Like yeah, I can make stirfry but it doesn't taste the same as Miyabi's and I'm not sure what I'm missing.

when in doubt, double the amount of butter and cream in a recipe. do not use any 'low fat' ingredient--full fat cream, butter, milk, etc. only. be generous with salt and pepper. add a little bit of garlic powder with seasoning too.

edit: for stir fry it's harder because your kitchen probably doesn't have a rocket hot wok that can get nice charred flavors without filling your place with smoke. but make sure to add some umami to your stir fry, like some fish sauce / mushroom powder / etc.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

lol @ glenn

but it is kinda disappointing to see max blumenthal so totally and utterly wrong on covid when his anti-imperialist record is so good

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Topo Chico Debarge posted:

Were it not covid times, I would absolutely sit through a funeral presentation for a really good Reuben.

Delicious!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Soap Scum posted:

lol @ glenn

but it is kinda disappointing to see max blumenthal so totally and utterly wrong on covid when his anti-imperialist record is so good

Yeah, but it isn't surprising that the good journos obsessed with civil liberties would be against mandates and lockdowns.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

So elastomeric crew, quick question about the seal test since I ordered the whole speaking diaphragm honeywell thingie and it just came.
1. When I do the positive pressure check (I think that's it? The exahle one) the mask gets pushed away as it should, but if I keep exhaling does get pushed away enough that some air escapes from the top by my nose. This does not happen when exhaling/inhaling normally and I can detect no leaks up top normal. I assume that's supposed to happen since the pressure? Face shield isn't fogging up and all that.
2. I hear a click when I exhale but everything seems fine. Why?

That line of Honeywell respirators never sealed properly around my nose and it sounds like you may have the same problem. I would fail a proper occupational fit test. If you would similarly fail, that’s a problem. It’s fine if it lifts off your nose when you really forcefully exhale, but it shouldn’t happen in normal breathing, even when exercising.

The clicking sounds like the exhalation valve doing its thing and that’s fine.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

lmao that glenn thinks anyone but the UK and US live in a post-vaccine world

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Mr Hootington posted:

Yeah, but it isn't surprising that the good journos obsessed with civil liberties would be against mandates and lockdowns.

i guess. from what i've heard on moderate rebels, they seemed capable of considering questions like "is having a good life more important than imaginary friends like freedom and liberty?" in certain non-US contexts, so i found it a little surprising that max could be so loving dumb on something so obvious.

i should have known though. all your heroes are dead, or whatever

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

god, im glad i live in the US, where I'm free from the horrific effects of sustained social isolation. here I only have to deal with the constant threat of gun violence, 650,000 people dying of a preventable disease, extremely low wages, homeless people on literally every single street I walk down, and the ever-present threat of still getting covid even though i'm vaccinated, and god, compared to the horror of sustained social isolation I am just so so so happy I live in a FREE and CIVILIZED country otherwise my mind would be COMPLETELY hosed and I would be laughing like the joker pretty much constantly. Haha!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! ehehehe ahahhahEeuheauhaha

Imagine having to live out your life on a Brazilian dog ranch as a wealthy white man.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Got word that my hospital is opening up boosters for all of us that got it January starting September 1st, booyah.

Now if only it would do something about the impending doom and realization that as our newborn grows up I have to contend with him going to a school and finding out what dip shits >50% of the other parents are that directly threaten my family's health!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Blitter posted:

Delicious!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fenarisk posted:

Now if only it would do something about the impending doom and realization that as our newborn grows up I have to contend with him going to a school and finding out what dip shits >50% of the other parents are that directly threaten my family's health!

As someone with my own newborn it sucks because I'm not even sure where I could try to move to in order to find fewer dip shits.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Platystemon posted:

That line of Honeywell respirators never sealed properly around my nose and it sounds like you may have the same problem. I would fail a proper occupational fit test. If you would similarly fail, that’s a problem. It’s fine if it lifts off your nose when you really forcefully exhale, but it shouldn’t happen in normal breathing, even when exercising.

The clicking sounds like the exhalation valve doing its thing and that’s fine.

It only lifts off when I block the exhalation valve as part of the test thing. And then only after a moment. It's not instantaneous . And the negative seal check - the inhalation one - is fine. I assume it's not really possible to pass one and fail the other since a seal is a seal?

Good on the clicking. Other one doesn't do that.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Blitter posted:

Delicious!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Soap Scum posted:

i guess. from what i've heard on moderate rebels, they seemed capable of considering questions like "is having a good life more important than imaginary friends like freedom and liberty?" in certain non-US contexts, so i found it a little surprising that max could be so loving dumb on something so obvious.

i should have known though. all your heroes are dead, or whatever

We just have to understand that people can be flawed. Having these bad takes does not invalidate his good takes or reporting.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Moderna #3 at Costco:

Filled out online form with all my legit info except said I had no insurance and that it was my first shot. At the store they asked to verify my birthday and sign a printout of that form and that's it. No ID, no questions, no nothing.

I got shots #1 and #2 at a local department of health site back in March that I think was run by the national guard.

Nobody's tracking/checking poo poo.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Stereotype posted:

maybe it’s a good thing that some people are going to die.

Comrade Corona please, our landlords lust for freedom

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

empty whippet box posted:

Don't forget the knowledge that if you get COVID bad enough to land in the hospital, it'll probably mean having to declare bankruptcy, because :lol: at any normal person being able to pay for that poo poo.

I sure do love living in a failed state.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
third shot, get!

questions asked: none

the only other person in the lobby was an old lady also getting her third shot, who said, and I quote, "I'll take as many as they'll give me", so she'd fit right in here lol

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
What happens when my card runs out of space for more boosters!? Biden!!!

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Blaziken386 posted:

third shot, get!

questions asked: none

the only other person in the lobby was an old lady also getting her third shot, who said, and I quote, "I'll take as many as they'll give me", so she'd fit right in here lol

finding crack-pinged elderly in the wild is amazing

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Thoguh posted:

We had this exact same conversation last summer in the COVID thread driven by the exact same posters that consider any type of situation where you purchase a service to be "renting a servant".

What an odd take. Seems demeaning almost? People in the various service industries aren't servants.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

It only lifts off when I block the exhalation valve as part of the test thing.

Oh yeah that’s fine.

As for the clicking valve, some models are stiffer than others. They can all get clicky if soiled. You’ll want to clean the valve and mating surface if a respirator that hasn’t been clicky starts to.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

:hmmyes::guillotine:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lmao i got put in twitter jail for saying i hoped the plane crashed

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lol hardworking landlord, isn't the whole appeal of the parasitic occupation the whole passive income concept &d doing minimal actual work?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mr. Pizza posted:

Moderna #3 at Costco:

Filled out online form with all my legit info except said I had no insurance and that it was my first shot. At the store they asked to verify my birthday and sign a printout of that form and that's it. No ID, no questions, no nothing.

I got shots #1 and #2 at a local department of health site back in March that I think was run by the national guard.

Nobody's tracking/checking poo poo.

They might still try to match up your name/D.O.B. to insurance because it pays more than the feds.

It’s a curse of the information era.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Cup Runneth Over posted:

lmao that glenn thinks anyone but the UK and US live in a post-vaccine world

Like many talking heads he's a disaster when he gets out of his core strength

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
If I get covid I'm gonna charge it rent.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

SEELCT * FROM table_name WHERE thread_id = ? ORDER BY post_date LIMIT 100000 OFFSET 50

This query will scan 100050 rows if an index on (thread_id, post_date) exists. What is on every other page does in fact matter.

There are some ways around this sort of pagination, but there are tradeoffs. It's hard to avoid if you want the ability to say "give me the 1709th page of this thread" for example.

I have no idea what their code looks like, but it's not going to scan every row with an index there* if it's written in a way that can use the index (which yours is). Even if it did, 100k rows should be a joke to a modern server, especially with caches.

What it most likely would decide to do given your query and index is index seek at O(log*n) to get the page's worth of indexes, then retrieve the data for only those rows. Although in the case of the drop down, they shouldn't be pulling back the entire row data to populate it since it doesn't use that.

There are a lot of things you can do to speed things up, starting with at least a prepared statement so it doesn't have to go through the query planner every time. For something that gets done very frequently though they should really be using a stored procedure.

* In general. The query engine can decide that it's faster to scan depending on its statistics and what exactly the query is doing. This is one of the reasons it's important to keep the statistics up to date, which can be a nightly task (or however frequently it starts getting out of whack).

The cost of a growing thread should scale like the red line here but it's very easy to mess it up and end up with the cyan line or worse if the developer is just banging out naive code (or letting some ORM library write the code for them because SQL is "too hard")

To tie it to the thread, this stuff is depressingly similar to epidemiology from what I can tell. Paying people who know what they're doing is too hard and they also tend to tell you things you don't want to hear. Just let some dingus who doesn't know wtf a database is bang it out with the ORM for max quarterly profits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cup Runneth Over posted:

unless you can explain confidently why this is the case (not just link to preliminary studies suggesting it), I think you would be incredibly stupid to assume Moderna is just magically better than Pfizer and doesn't need a booster

I'm getting a booster. I appreciate the concern though.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Someone who got their third shot told me that the CVS person asked them to verify all their fake info, fake address + fake phone number etc. They were able to do it but it put me right off the idea of getting an illegitimate 3rd shot, no way I wouldn't choke when put on the spot like that. Sounds like grocery store pharmacy workers might care less on average?

Turns out boosters are coming soon for everyone anyway, of course before my kids even get their first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

It's too bad that the suffering of the super rich only serves to enrich the super super rich.