Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
The sad thing about ‘wait patiently’ is that it wouldn’t even be that hard to get a better line for it. He is rallying the troops. Bam, much less stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The line itself is stupid as there is no Hoshidan blood in him and Ryoma should know that well enough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Oh, do not even get me started on 'it's okay to marry your sibling because they have a letter from your dead mom', except in Ryoma's case where he already knew?

Also please stop making characters like Elise eligible to marry. Awakening got away with it (kinda) because they didn't actually have kids right there, but Fates is just kinda gross.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Oh, do not even get me started on 'it's okay to marry your sibling because they have a letter from your dead mom', except in Ryoma's case where he already knew?

Also please stop making characters like Elise eligible to marry. Awakening got away with it (kinda) because they didn't actually have kids right there, but Fates is just kinda gross.

"Act like the adult you technically are!" is a line that's just sort of eye-rolling until you then remember...that.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Awakening also got away with it, imo, because if you used the youngest model for Robin then Robin seems to be right about their same age (I think Lissa's romance is actually cute and funny if you assume they're both preteens, which feels plausible for that body model, and that the kids don't come along for several years afterwards). Nowi is just... ugh.

That kind of thing is one of the areas where I give 3H credit. I was initially incredibly leery of the game letting a teacher marry their students, but I'm pretty satisfied with the way it works out. And that Flayn, given her series archetype, is handled much better than normal. I come away with the feeling that she often acts a bit immature and kooky not so much because she genuinely is immature, but because most of her life as a young adult has been filled with one war after another - her A support with Dimitri, and her lines if she fights the Death Knight in part two, all but scream that the poor girl is dealing with some pretty heavy PTSD between the wars and what the Death Knight did to her.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jul 10, 2021

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
This is an advance warning that updates may slow down for a while. I may have, ah... Let's say the wait for NEO TWEWY got to me.

In other news, I think I know what game I want to LP after 3H.

Heavy Sigh
Nov 13, 2011

They've planted corn everywhere.

Soiled Meat

Rea posted:

This is an advance warning that updates may slow down for a while. I may have, ah... Let's say the wait for NEO TWEWY got to me.

In other news, I think I know what game I want to LP after 3H.

You're outta your vector, lining something that big up so soon.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Heavy Sigh posted:

You're outta your vector, lining something that big up so soon.

h.a.n.d. made the smart decision of blanking out the vast majority (but not all of!) text that's not used in the demo, as well as pin names for the "secret" brand. They also removed pin icons except for the pins that are used in the demo, plus the material pins, bizarrely.

And that's the extent of the cleanup they did. None of the actual stuff in MasterData (where all the JSON files that control game logic, such as player/enemy/pin stats) had any modifications for the demo, and the executable is full of stuff from the final game (including spoilers for major bosses).

This one is funny too: even though certain pin and many item names were blanked out, this was done by just blanking "content" field from many entries in their TextData files for all regions. Simple, but effective.

...Except the Japanese TextData files are filled to the brim with developer comments, left in the shipping demo.

{
"name": "ITM_BDG_Info_0141",
"listener": "",
"speaker": "",
"extra": "",
"content": "ターゲットの下から氷の柱で突き上げる\nチャージ最大時は<CRE>打ち上げる</C>",
"comment": "PSY[兎/氷]ピアシングピラー:コニコニコールド",
"annotation": ""
},

(This is for Cold Cony×Cony, a pin used in the demo, so I'm not spoiling anything.)

ItemInfoBDG, the JSON file for pin descriptions, has comments that note the brand, damage element, psych name, and name of the pin. Since the "comment" field is left intact for all JP TextData, I can just get the JP name for pins that have their names blanked out. Not that helpful, but very funny, given they clearly cared about removing whatever spoilers they could.

You'd be really surprised how much of a game info database I can build up from all of this. I figure that info'll help me produce a good LP, once I get to it. Basically, a lot of words to show that I'm very much within my vector. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So I've been trying Rea's suggestion of brawling Dimitri in my current game. Unsurprisingly, it's effective because Dimitri is a wrecking ball if his growths live up to their potential, and brawling is, frankly, overpowered. Very much a case of 'stick the most effective weapon type on probably the game's best physical character, the results are as expected."

Still, for me it highlights again how awkward Dimitri's class progression is. What he fundamentally wants thematically, the game just isn't selling - a lance focused class that doesn't shank his speed. As a guy he's barred from the pegasus knight line, the cavalry classes tank his speed, and his axe weakness plus not being able to tutor him for half of part two makes getting Dimitri into wyvern lord a chore (I've done it, mind). His MAG is bad and his spell list isn't worth it, so the dark knight or holy knight options for a mixed attacker (like how Edelgard, and arguably Sylvain, Ingrid, and Lorenz are set up to potentially be) aren't appealing.

It's hard to get a bad Dimitri, unless his growths fail you, but similar to how Edelgard is conspicuously lacking the ability to use magic in her unique part two classes, his character design simply feels incomplete.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

I was playing some three houses myself after reading this and I read something on the wiki and don't know what the source is so I figured I might ask here in case I missed it, spoiled just in case it is something we haven't seen yet

Balthus is supposed to be 26 in the pre-timeskip section, which makes his choice to wander the monastery shirtless amongst a number of 15-18 year old students a little weird

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Captainicus posted:

I was playing some three houses myself after reading this and I read something on the wiki and don't know what the source is so I figured I might ask here in case I missed it, spoiled just in case it is something we haven't seen yet

Balthus is supposed to be 26 in the pre-timeskip section, which makes his choice to wander the monastery shirtless amongst a number of 15-18 year old students a little weird

Nah, it's fine to say Balthus is 26 in Part 1, it's not really a spoiler. I don't think there's any age-related spoilers besides maybe Seteth and Flayn's true ages, and, well, we're well past the point of no return on that.

Not gonna contest that Balthus walking around shirtless is weird, yeah. Guess he's gotta demonstrate his prowess as the King of Grappling. He does mostly keep to Abyss, though.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Speaking of brawl-lords, I've been playing through the game again, and surprising probably no one, Edelgard makes for an incredible War Cleric. I'm up to Remire village, and when the death knight rolled in, he bumped into Edelgard who sent him packing with her bare hands. I don't think I've even had her cast any spells beside healing, because I've yet to encounter anything that can stand up to a couple punches backed by deathblow, fistfaire, and her raw strength score.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Turns out a weapon class with low Mt but a brave effect and high accuracy is pretty overpowered! :v:

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Speaking of brawl-lords, I've been playing through the game again, and surprising probably no one, Edelgard makes for an incredible War Cleric. I'm up to Remire village, and when the death knight rolled in, he bumped into Edelgard who sent him packing with her bare hands. I don't think I've even had her cast any spells beside healing, because I've yet to encounter anything that can stand up to a couple punches backed by deathblow, fistfaire, and her raw strength score.

"Lady Edelgard, what are you a priest of?"
"Of KICKING rear end!"

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Rea posted:

Nah, it's fine to say Balthus is 26 in Part 1, it's not really a spoiler. I don't think there's any age-related spoilers besides maybe Seteth and Flayn's true ages, and, well, we're well past the point of no return on that.

Not gonna contest that Balthus walking around shirtless is weird, yeah. Guess he's gotta demonstrate his prowess as the King of Grappling. He does mostly keep to Abyss, though.

Yeah, at least he doesn't pull a Sylvain or anything. At least this game doesn't really have anything as questionable in regards to age as Elise in fates.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face

Captainicus posted:

Yeah, at least he doesn't pull a Sylvain or anything. At least this game doesn't really have anything as questionable in regards to age as Elise in fates.

Elise "act like the adult that you technically are" Nohr.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 112.
(SSLP Test Poster version here.)

Hello, I'm back! NEO TWEWY ate up more of my time than I thought it would, especially after it got leaked early, and it didn't help that things were super busy at work last month.

We honestly don't have much game left! Between AM and CF, we've only got 10 story battles left, three paralogues (Edelgard's, Hubert's, and a different version of Anna's), one update (maybe two) for going through CF Part 1 with extreme speed, and admittedly quite a few supports. I hope you all enjoy the final stretch of this project that's taken...jesus christ, just a few weeks shy of two years at time of writing.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Man, even ignoring the romantic aspects, Dimitri has some really strong A-Ranks with the girls.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DanielCross posted:

Man, even ignoring the romantic aspects, Dimitri has some really strong A-Ranks with the girls.

I maintain that the Lions have the strongest and most cohesive core cast of the three houses. Dimitri/Marianne is probably my favorite support line in the game (the other serious rival being Seteth/Manuela), and even Dimitri/Flayn sheds a lot of light on Flayn's PTSD that she otherwise tries very hard to not talk about.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I actually prefer the GD supports because they do a good job of balancing the simple characters like Raphael and Leonie with the more complex ones like Lorenz and Lysithea. The BL crew have some really good supports but there's some dissonance between them and the amount of blind eyes they have to turn to Dimitri before he snaps out of his funk.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I struggled a lot with Dimitri’s supports the first time I played AM, because you get a deluge of tonally dissonant supports that unlock the day after he does a complete 180 on being a murderboi and it was just jarring.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
i almost feel like some of dimitri's supports were meant to be missed on a playthrough and looked up after the ending of AM when you have the whole picture and don't really question how dimitri turned himself around almost literally overnight

maybe that's too conspiracy theory though

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 113.

Faillen Angel
Aug 30, 2018
Getting Failnaught here is so strange, but a Super Longbow for your archers never hurts. Makes me wish Dedue brought Areadbhar on VW/SS, though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Failnaught is a godsend on Ashe especially, since it can combine with Deadeye to give him some horrific range (it's my favored solution to That Fucker especially).

One interesting bit of trivia: if you recruit Hilda as the Blue Lions (which you can do at any time, unlike if you're the Eagles), she's replaced by a generic... female warmaster. Player warmasters can't be women, but Hilda's replacement here - and only here, she's replaced by a warrior at Gronder Field - is that class. For me, it lends more credence to the possibility that the gender locks on some classes were only added late in development (see also Catherine and Bylass loving punching while Dimitri and Seteth would get huge mileage out of the pegasus knight line).

Hilda in general is kind of interesting in Azure Moon because she's easily the single most outspoken poach about not being there for Faerghus, she's there for the Alliance. If you pick up Hilda as the Lions, she talks throughout part two about how she's running diplomacy between Faerghus and Leicester and that she's here in part because Claude asked her to represent him and the Alliance to the Kingdom forces.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Aug 16, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Dark Fliers can use Physic, right? That seems like the easiest solution to keep Hilda alive on Maddening. Valkyrie is also an option but requires pushing quickly into enemy territory.

Failing DLC, it seems like the best option would be to Warp someone close to Hilda and heal her, preferably also Warping a second person to help clear out the area.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Rea posted:

I don't really know how you'd keep Hilda alive on a Maddening run, to be honest with you. I'm not exactly taking things slowly here, and I'm still a ways away from where she was. Even if I was moving quickly, getting enough units up there to mount an actual counter-offensive against that deathball would be challenging, to say the least. Best I could've done was do everything I can to get Mercedes up to the center so she could reach Hilda with Physic, but...well, getting someone still stuck with 4 Mv up to the center of the arena, on pace with the rest of my team, would be annoying at best.

If we'd managed to keep both Hilda alive, we'd be rewarded with a giant shell at the end of the map. I'm not all that bummed about losing that rewards, though I do wish I could've demonstrated some kinda super-smart strat for all this. Just a reminder that I'm not exactly a great player, I suppose.

The real strat is that you Move->Dance->Warp->Move a unit and kill Arundel on turn 1.

A built Leonie/Petra/Catherine will kill him easily with Cursed Sword/Cursed Sword/Thunderbrand respectively as will stuff like a Dimitri that didn't lose the speed coin toss or a Wyvern rider with particularly high alpha strike. (Hilda ironically is a good example of this)

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Now that we've seen the Silver Maiden, there's a thought I'd like to share. We've heard a lot of talk about how crests influence a person, giving them superhuman strength or vast magical talents, and a weird amount of detail to how they affect a person's taste buds, but their single most notable feature is barely mentioned outside of a weird bonding moment about rain in Lysithea/Catherine's support conversation. That is, how deeply they shape the personality of their bearers.

Now, most of the crests we see are from the heroes or apostles, and we don't exactly have much of a sample size there, but we do have a decent knowledge of both the original saints and their crest-bearing descendants. Compare the following characters:

Rhea and Edelgard both bear the crest of Seiros. Setting aside the polemic with which one would describe one or both of these characters, they do have some striking similarities. Their chief attribute being an unwavering and uncompromising devotion to achieving the goals they set for themselves, coupled with all the talents one needs to lead a nation.

Seteth and Ferdinand share the crest of Cichol, and are basically the same person, except Seteth is a fair bit older. They tend to be bad at first impressions due to their contemplative personalities, but once they get a read on another person, they're the most considerate and contemplative person there is, and they will always find a way to provide another person exactly what they need. Plus, Seteth acts as Rhea's confidant and strives to temper her worst impulses, which is exactly the role Ferdinand strives to fill for his own Seiros-bearing compatriot.

Flayn and Linhardt share the crest of Cethleann. Their similarities are more superficial, but they do share a deep aversion to violence, a complete lack of attention span, a fondness for fishing, a natural talent for white magic and, although it manifests in quite different ways, a very troubled relationship with the concept of sleeping.

Hanneman and Bernadetta share the crest of Indech. Hanneman is kind of the odd one out, but Bernadetta's resemblance to saint Indech is explicitly referenced, particularly in her supports with Seteth. In addition to being a recluse, he was also a talented artificer, which manifests in Bernadetta as her artistic talent, producing lifelike drawings, immaculate needlework, and well-made stuffed animals/plants in most of her spare time. Hanneman is kind of reclusive and a talented artificer as well, but I don't think it's ever attributed to any inherent inclinations, in the same way one could argue it goes for the other characters.

That's a pretty long pre-amble for the actually question I wanted to ask: what can we, based on this, say about the Crest of Flames? Byleth's main personality trait is that they basically don't have one at all before coming out of their shell at Garreg Mach, and even then, we don't see a lot of it. Sothis does show a tendency to act nurturing and is genuinely concerned with the amount of bloody violence you're putting schoolchildren through, but that's about what we get from her, and that and her distrust of Rhea is mostly telling of Rhea herself.

Seeing Hanneman on this map is what made things click for me. The real power of the Crest of Flames, more than some stat boosts or an overpowered personal weapon, is a sheer natural charisma that can inspire total loyalty. Everyone is naturally drawn to Byleth, and when declaring their loyalty before the time skip, they either side with their homeland and pre-existing relationships, or they follow their professor. There's a fair amount of nuance with regards to individual characters, but broad strokes. Hanneman, however, straight up mirrors what most recruited students say, that he's devoted himself specifically to Edelgard and her cause, rather than any of his previous Imperial bonds.

It may not be the strongest case, depending on what we learn of Hanneman's motivations in the future, but it makes a lot of other pieces slot into place. Why does nearly everyone immediately warm up to Byleth, despite their frequently remarked-upon lack of social skills? How come people like Petra, Ferdinand or Linhardt/Caspar if you've recruited one but not the other, will never even consider defecting when you face them, though they have ample motive to do so? One might argue that Byleth is just that likable and Edelgard that inspiring, but only they inspire that level of devotion from relative strangers, and what they do share is the Crest of Flames.

This also speaks to the relationship between the two. The very first assessment Edelgard makes when she is alone with Byleth is "I think you and I have similar personalities." It can easily be read as just a recruitment talk, but I think she does in fact sense that you have something in common. Another thing to note is that if you don't side with Edelgard, it totally breaks her heart, understandably so on Silver Snow, but also in Verdant Wind. Claude and Dimitri may lament the loss of Byleth's influence, but Edelgard is drawn to them on a much deeper level.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Hanneman and Bernie click better if you compare both to Indech, both the tidbits you can glean from The Immovable and from some of Seteth’s comments in his Bernadetta support. All three share the same sort of push and pull of wanting to be near people they understand and know how to interact with but seek large volumes of solitude the rest of the time. Interestingly they do reflect different elements or Indech’s talents, with Bernie inheriting the omnitalent for crafting and the arts and Hanneman the capacity for total mastery of a science.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
May as well make a brief effort post on Tarot and its influences, since all of the Crests are based on one of the classical major arcana of Tarot. To note is that each card can be played both upright and reversed, with different meanings for each. 3H strikes real close to home with some of these.

The Fool is the Crest of Ernest - Anna. The arcana luck and madness, an arcana of hidden potential and strange gifts that may not have yet been tapped. Also usually represents the protagonist of the story. Reversed it represents false hope, things not being what you thought they were and failed promises.

The Magician is the Crest of Macuil, and not used by any playable characters.

The High Priestess is the Crest of Seiros - Rhea and Edelgard. The arcana of specifically female insight, wisdom, and magic. It's an arcana of secret knowledge and power, and the will to use them. Reversed, it represents secrecy and pride biting you on the rear - your potential and power are being wasted because of your inability to be honest, with yourself or anyone else.

The Empress is the Crest of Dominic - Annette. The arcana of authority in a specifically female, motherly way; a promise of using that inborn authority and will to create and enjoy prosperity and comfort. Reversed it represents being consumed by doubt and anxiety, being locked into inaction because you're terrified of the potential consequences and don't believe you can make the right choice.

The Emperor is the Crest of Fraldarius - Felix. The arcana of order, stability, discipline, and the will to take decisive action, usually the traits of a born leader and ruler. Reversed it represents grudges and petty emotions causing you to take short-sighted actions, and stubbornly resisting the advice and wisdom of others trying to help you.

The Heirophant is the Crest of Noa - Constance. The arcana of education, authority, and resistance to change. It is an arcana of submission to the divine and the natural order, and of spiritual leadership. Reversed it represents rejecting the natural order in favor of what is manifestly unnatural but benefits you, and rebelling against the divine and the way things should be.

The Lovers is the Crest of Cethleann - Flayn and Linhardt. The arcana of being at a crossroads in life, of freedom and being presented with a variety of compelling choices and needing to choose between them. Reversed it represents indecision and an inability to communicate. You need to make a choice, but you're still vacillating and uncertain, and can't even tell anyone what you want

The Chariot is the Crest of Daphnel - Ingrid. The arcana of taking action, driving conflict, and achieving victory by bringing together seemingly opposed forces. Reversed, it represents a lack of direction and being unwilling to commit, feeling lost and unable or unwilling to take action.

The Hermit is the Crest of Gloucester - Lorenz and Lysithea. The arcana of introspection, solitude, and the inward search for wisdom and knowledge. Reversed it represents immaturity and not being as smart or wise as you think you are, and driving people away even when the help of others is what you really need.

Strength is the Crest of Cichol - Seteth and Ferdinand. The arcana of self control, gentleness, and virtue triumphing over brute force, strength of character being far more important than strength of arms. Reversed it represents self-doubt and feelings of inferiority taking over, becoming passive because you believe you aren't strong or good enough, or that someone else is better.

The Wheel of Fortune is the Crest of Goneril - Hilda. The arcana of fate, impermanence, and the cyclical nature of things, nothing lasts forever and your fortunes are always changing, so don't get too attached to what is only ever temporary. Reversed it represents becoming overly attached to the temporal and seeing the worst in what must come to pass, you're unable to accept that everything changes and passes in time.

Justice is the Crest of Blayddid - Dimitri. The arcana of consequences and accountability, of submission to a larger system you are a part of and accepting the consequences both positive and negative. Reversed it represents emotions and preconceptions clouding your sense and good judgment, leading to injustice from your faulty sense of right and wrong and your false insistence that your own judgment is what matters most.

The Hanged Man is the Crest of Aubin - Yuri. The arcana of victory through sacrifice, freedom through submission, paradoxes and being caught between heaven and earth. Reversed it represents arrogance and rejecting the wisdom and insight of others because of your need to be in control.

Death is the Crest of Gautier - Sylvain. The arcana of change and transformation, inevitability and the cycle of life. Reversed it represents resisting change and the inevitable past the point of reason, struggling in vain to hold back what cannot be stopped.

Temperance is the Crest of Indech - Bernie and Hanneman. The arcana of harmony and opposites blending, of seemingly different things combining into a whole greater than the sum of its parts. Reversed it represents self-loathing and cowardice, assuming the worst in the world around you and being unwilling to take action because you're afraid.

The Devil is the Crest of the Beast - Marianne. The arcana of temptations and restrictions, of chains internal and external that bar your path and danger that comes from within. Reversed it represents being freed from what once bound you and seeking your own path for good and ill, the promise of both good and evil that can come from breaking your chains.

The Tower is the Crest of Charon - Lysithea and Catherine. The arcana of sudden, cataclysmic change that tears down the old order of things to which you can never return. Reversed it represents being trapped by regrets and your own choices, and the feeling that you lack the strength and will to change your circumstances.

The Star is the Crest of Timotheos - Hapi. The arcana of peace, joy, and good luck that flourish after the storm, and an omen of better days ahead. Reversed it represents despair and losing faith, in yourself and in the world around you, and believing that things can only get worse.

The Moon is the Crest of Riegan - Claude. The arcana about being caught between worlds, being unsure of your own path while being flexible in your own nature. This is the arcana of shapeshifters and tricksters, and benevolent darkness and schemes. Reversed it represents the dangers of being overly sure of yourself, and what seems like complete clarity and focus is in fact misguided because you didn't consider things. Doubt is a healthy thing as long as it doesn't rule you, and this arcana means you're sure of yourself and your path when you really shouldn't be.

The Sun is the Crest of Chevalier - Balthus. The arcana of innocence, accomplishment, and the freedom to be yourself, and of just rewards for your actions. Reversed it represents abandoning and hiding from your responsibilities, and refusing to use the gifts you have because it would cost your own pleasures and desires.

Judgment is the Crest of Lamine - Mercedes. The arcana of revelation and conclusion, of the final act being played out and events reaching their climax for good or ill where all will be revealed. Reversed it represents deception and trying to hide the truth, postponing the necessary end because you're too comfortable the way you are now and not wanting to be seen for who you really are in the end.

Finally, the World is the Crest of Flames - Edelgard and Byleth. The arcana of completion, wholeness and harmony and the journey's end. Reversed it represents the danger and fallacy of taking shortcuts to your dreams. The way you've chosen is faster and easier, but it's not the right way to do it, and so you will not succeed - whatever success and completion you think you've achieved is flawed and will be short-lived

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

Fire Emblem Heroes does a yearly Most Popular Character poll, this year's winner is:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

The weirdest thing about this entire map is that a lot of people wonder why would Claude just peace out and leave after all of this while handing control of the Alliance back to the Kingdom, claiming it's out of character for him. While yes, the argument can be made all of this to conveniently get Claude out of Dimitri's way without having to kill Claude off (and I agree that there is merit to that argument), when you think about it further, it really isn't a big of a stretch when the game itself explains the situation Foldan is currently in. Gronder Field was a massive bloodbath of a battle; everyone came out of Gronder bloodied and bruised and in bad shape, with the player side being victorious by (presumably) a razor-thin margin. In the case of Azure Moon, the Alliance forces get seriously crippled, with only a few commanding officers surviving (Claude, Hilda, and by extension, Judith). Meanwhile, the Empire suffers significant casualties of their own, which leaves Edelgard on the back foot because she no longer has the sheer overwhelming numbers that allowed her to sweep through most of Fodlan. So, you have the Alliance barely clinging to life against the Empire which still has enough manpower to swallow a serious defeat like Gronder and keep going.

Then, you have to factor in Claude's mindset towards life itself: fight as hard as you can using whatever strategies available, but when things get too dicey, cut and run so you can live on and see another day. Right out of the start of the map, Judith comments that Claude's still recovering from injuries sustained two months prior. Again, Gronder was a seriously devastating battle, so Claude being off his game is not as surprising as it sounds. And after putting up a limited resistance to Arundel's much stronger forces, Claude watches Dimitri and company tear through them. Claude realizes that he's in no shape to lead the Alliance, especially because Kingdom forces just came into the capital and made him look weak in front of Alliance citizens. So, he opts to put his faith in Dimitri (much like how he puts his faith in Adan/Abby in Verdant Wind) and leave for Almyra, which is additionally depressing because Claude is returning to his homeland, again, looking weak and battered in front of its citizens. A populace that values strength highly, no less. Claude knows he's lost almost everything (the Alliance, most of his classmates, possibly the throne of Almyra), so what's the point of hanging around?

Oh, and there's the fact that Arundel is genuinely surprised to see a stable Kingdom army marching on Deirdru. He launched this offensive believing that Cornelia had Faerghus under control and Dimitri couldn't unite the Kingdom, all while the Alliance was mortally wounded and easily conquerable. So yeah, I imagine Claude saw how Adan/Abby helped Dimitri (since Gronder was Claude's last frame of reference for Dimitri's mental state) and went, "Yeah, you guys got this. Later.".

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
It's worth remembering there that Claude's overall plan always required him to work both sides of the border. If he has no chance of uniting Fodlan under his banner (and he doesn't, at this point), then going back to Almyra to secure the throne there and having as many allies on as good of terms as possible in Fodlan once he's succeeded his father.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

That was how I interpreted it. He wants to change Fodlan to be a less racist, classist, hellhole and open the border to Almyra. He's realized there's no chance of him doing it from this side so why bother staying?

There's also that they constantly SAY that Claude is a schemer and is only out for himself (despite not actually being that shady in practice) so cutting his losses and peacing out is at least on track for how they think of him anyway.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 114.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You didn't include the profile for Caspar or his generic stand-in in this mission, if that wasn't deliberate. My first time through Caspar got lucky and killed Ashe, forcing a rewind.

Lorenz has a great exchange during this month if you recruited him in part one, then re-recruited him in part two.

Lorenz: It's unbelievable that Claude would simply abandon the Alliance to the Kingdom, surrendering our independence!

Byleth: Er, isn't that what you've already done?

Lorenz: ...Well played. You win this time, professor.

Also, I think it's during this month that if you recruited Catherine, Dimitri talks her into going home and making peace with her father to bring House Charon into the war on Dimitri's side.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Claude is also smart enough to recognize that the Alliance isn't that great and doesn't enjoy a lot of popular support.

I'll go more into this when we talk to the appropriate characters in the appropriate circumstances, but the Alliance, like almost every other system in this game, isn't worth preserving.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Claude is also smart enough to recognize that the Alliance isn't that great and doesn't enjoy a lot of popular support.

I'll go more into this when we talk to the appropriate characters in the appropriate circumstances, but the Alliance, like almost every other system in this game, isn't worth preserving.

It may not be worth preserving but the alliance as a group should have a say about just being folded back into the system that they so desperately tried to leave.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Hunt11 posted:

It may not be worth preserving but the alliance as a group should have a say about just being folded back into the system that they so desperately tried to leave.

This is something that really bothers me about every single route in 3H. The game assumes that basically everyone you conquer (or annex after they surrender) is happy living under your side's regime. Only a few characters and nameless NPCs comment on the state of the conquered territories, and they all reassure you that no one really liked the Empire/Kingdom/Alliance anyway and are happy to be part of the Empire/Kingdom/Alliance now. I think it's at its most problematic in Edelgard's route since she's explicitly on a war of conquest, but then you have Dimitri just sort of accidentally conquering all of Fodlan ala Sigurd from Genealogy of the Holy War, and Claude's fundamentally defensive war ending with Adrestia and Faerghus joining the victorious Alliance with little explanation.

I suspect it's just another effect of IntSys wanting you to feel like the hero no matter what route you're on, but narratively this is one of the tropes about war stories that really bothers me: assuming that people are happy to be conquered liberated by your side, because otherwise that gets into some really murky and morally difficult subject matter.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Should I still be confused about Dimitri's past re: tragedy at duscur