Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

"The moratoriums have led to a significant and negative impact in profitability — for me, it's been a 15% loss in profit."

:killing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

Someone who got their third shot told me that the CVS person asked them to verify all their fake info, fake address + fake phone number etc. They were able to do it but it put me right off the idea of getting an illegitimate 3rd shot, no way I wouldn't choke when put on the spot like that. Sounds like grocery store pharmacy workers might care less on average?

Turns out boosters are coming soon for everyone anyway, of course before my kids even get their first.

Boomers when be clogging the lines / getting priority.

It's why the CSPAM speedrun is recommended.

I'm planning my speed run for later this month (got pfizer dose 2 back in early april)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Relevant Tangent posted:

What an odd take. Seems demeaning almost? People in the various service industries aren't servants.

I'm pretty sure it's more intended to be commentary on the attitudes of the sorts of people who throw tantrums about not being allowed to eat inside a restaurant during a pandemic.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Mr Hootington posted:

Glenn is normally very right...

Outside of the Glenn thread people will ask you to substantiate this, best of luck.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Platystemon posted:

Oh yeah that’s fine.

As for the clicking valve, some models are stiffer than others. They can all get clicky if soiled. You’ll want to clean the valve and mating surface if a respirator that hasn’t been clicky starts to.

Thanks. So yeah, it's fine that it only gets air leak when I exhale with the valve covered. During normal operation it is - insofar as I can tell - fine. And it passes the negative pressure check just fine.
Am I correct in assuming it's not really possible to pass one test and fail the other since I mean a seal is a seal no?

Thanks for the help. I'm obviously very scared and also really like the new speech diaphragm thingie. It's nice being Bane instead of being Pyro from TF2.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Sunny Side Up posted:

can someone make an updated GIF?

i did my best (one of the images were out of order in the album, and i tried to guess dates)

Der Meister
May 12, 2001

empty whippet box posted:

god, im glad i live in the US, where I'm free from the horrific effects of sustained social isolation. here I only have to deal with the constant threat of gun violence, 650,000 people dying of a preventable disease, extremely low wages, homeless people on literally every single street I walk down, and the ever-present threat of still getting covid even though i'm vaccinated, and god, compared to the horror of sustained social isolation I am just so so so happy I live in a FREE and CIVILIZED country otherwise my mind would be COMPLETELY hosed and I would be laughing like the joker pretty much constantly. Haha!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! ehehehe ahahhahEeuheauhaha

sounds like u need some cash

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

corona familiar posted:

i did my best (one of the images were out of order in the album, and i tried to guess dates)

The Midwest is next on the chopping block

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Lmao I'm continuing to see more pictures every couple of days from Garth Brooks doing a stadium tour. A traveling Sturgis.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Forseti posted:

I have no idea what their code looks like, but it's not going to scan every row with an index there* if it's written in a way that can use the index (which yours is). Even if it did, 100k rows should be a joke to a modern server, especially with caches.

What it most likely would decide to do given your query and index is index seek at O(log*n) to get the page's worth of indexes, then retrieve the data for only those rows. Although in the case of the drop down, they shouldn't be pulling back the entire row data to populate it since it doesn't use that.

There are a lot of things you can do to speed things up, starting with at least a prepared statement so it doesn't have to go through the query planner every time. For something that gets done very frequently though they should really be using a stored procedure.

* In general. The query engine can decide that it's faster to scan depending on its statistics and what exactly the query is doing. This is one of the reasons it's important to keep the statistics up to date, which can be a nightly task (or however frequently it starts getting out of whack).

The cost of a growing thread should scale like the red line here but it's very easy to mess it up and end up with the cyan line or worse if the developer is just banging out naive code (or letting some ORM library write the code for them because SQL is "too hard")

To tie it to the thread, this stuff is depressingly similar to epidemiology from what I can tell. Paying people who know what they're doing is too hard and they also tend to tell you things you don't want to hear. Just let some dingus who doesn't know wtf a database is bang it out with the ORM for max quarterly profits.

if things are slowing down only for people on slow computers then it's not a problem on the DB or server side. i've noticed android's chrome browser freaking _hates_ if you open the list of pages in a long thread. like it shoots every core of your phone up to 100% use and grinds the whole OS down to a halt until you can force close the application. it's probably something very very dumb in the client side JS that scales badly with the number of pages. perhaps it's calculating 7000 individual hrefs for each "jump to page" link with all kinds of string concatenations, etc. and populating them all inside a drop down instead of just figuring it out when you select one

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/garthbrooks/status/1426750183036137482

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Glenn groomer stans: are…are we the baddies?

Anyway, I’d much rather live in New Zealand and Australia right now than my blue state in the US. The only two countries, besides China, taking this seriously and managing the situation.

3rd booster shot symptoms, fatigue, sore arm, slight chills, head foggy but no fever

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/garthbrooks/status/1424877090407690240

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nocturtle posted:

Someone who got their third shot told me that the CVS person asked them to verify all their fake info, fake address + fake phone number etc. They were able to do it but it put me right off the idea of getting an illegitimate 3rd shot, no way I wouldn't choke when put on the spot like that. Sounds like grocery store pharmacy workers might care less on average?

Turns out boosters are coming soon for everyone anyway, of course before my kids even get their first.

Just give your real info and say it's your second shot.

Edit: thinking about getting my 4 month booster to top off before school.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Forseti posted:

I have no idea what their code looks like, but it's not going to scan every row with an index there* if it's written in a way that can use the index (which yours is). Even if it did, 100k rows should be a joke to a modern server, especially with caches.

What it most likely would decide to do given your query and index is index seek at O(log*n) to get the page's worth of indexes, then retrieve the data for only those rows. Although in the case of the drop down, they shouldn't be pulling back the entire row data to populate it since it doesn't use that.

There are a lot of things you can do to speed things up, starting with at least a prepared statement so it doesn't have to go through the query planner every time. For something that gets done very frequently though they should really be using a stored procedure.

* In general. The query engine can decide that it's faster to scan depending on its statistics and what exactly the query is doing. This is one of the reasons it's important to keep the statistics up to date, which can be a nightly task (or however frequently it starts getting out of whack).

The cost of a growing thread should scale like the red line here but it's very easy to mess it up and end up with the cyan line or worse if the developer is just banging out naive code (or letting some ORM library write the code for them because SQL is "too hard")

To tie it to the thread, this stuff is depressingly similar to epidemiology from what I can tell. Paying people who know what they're doing is too hard and they also tend to tell you things you don't want to hear. Just let some dingus who doesn't know wtf a database is bang it out with the ORM for max quarterly profits.

The fact that you even know what a query planner is puts you miles ahead of like 90% of the people writing code that interacts with databases. I'm pretty sure that most people just see them as loving magic, and then don't understand why their code that makes 17 full table scans along with some useless full joins and then a filter on the end to trim it down to one row of data causes the whole thing to fall over.

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!
^^^ I used to be a DBA lol. I feel Eric Crackle-Ping's pain.

mod sassinator posted:

if things are slowing down only for people on slow computers then it's not a problem on the DB or server side. i've noticed android's chrome browser freaking _hates_ if you open the list of pages in a long thread. like it shoots every core of your phone up to 100% use and grinds the whole OS down to a halt until you can force close the application. it's probably something very very dumb in the client side JS that scales badly with the number of pages. perhaps it's calculating 7000 individual hrefs for each "jump to page" link with all kinds of string concatenations, etc. and populating them all inside a drop down instead of just figuring it out when you select one

I thought about that, and a quick look at the HTML for that page, the DOM is MASSIVE (like 16k elements). So that is definitely also a problem for the end user. But I thought they were saying it was slowing down the whole forums implying it was getting caught up at the server side.

All just conjecture though! I'm sure there are plenty of optimizations that could be made, but I'm also sure that a code base this old done by volunteers for decades is a nightmare. And I'm not blaming any single person, it's an emergent thing from the whole system imo.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

why the gently caress was this not canceled

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/j5Ag7mG

source: covidactnow.org

I see you Scotland County, MO, you little loving liar.

gremlins two
Aug 14, 2019

if he gets sick he can just ask chris gaines to fill in for him.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Kinda surprised Garth is able to sell tickets behind the stage

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?

:stare:

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
How are the effects from the 3rd moderna dose? When I got shot #2 I got really loving sick for 2 days.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Remember when picture threads had to warn dialup users? Makes you think.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Blaziken386 posted:

third shot, get!

questions asked: none

the only other person in the lobby was an old lady also getting her third shot, who said, and I quote, "I'll take as many as they'll give me", so she'd fit right in here lol

did you schedule an appointment or just walk-in?

NeekBerm
Jun 25, 2004

Who are you calling chicken?

College Slice

If he’s going to be a wandering harbinger of death, he should AT LEAST do it as his evil alter ego Chris Gaines.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I’m starting to think my 4th shot will be Moderna. I don’t think Pfizer is doing it.

skewetoo
Mar 30, 2003

Incredible right. Now what if I told you there has been 0 (zero) transmission from this gathering despite what the doomers are saying.

College Rockout
Jan 10, 2010

Biowarfare posted:

why the gently caress was this not canceled

nfl season starts in 23 days. small part of me thinks people might come to their senses in time but the other parts just lmaoing

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Garth Brooks is gen x but Chris Gaines is gen z. Really fascinating science.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

skewetoo posted:

Incredible right. Now what if I told you there has been 0 (zero) transmission from this gathering despite what the doomers are saying.

If you told me it was an Elvis concert after he had revealed himself to be alive, I would be more likely to believe you.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

PerniciousKnid posted:

Remember when picture threads had to warn dialup users? Makes you think.

100 megabit = no

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
Garth Brooks single-handedly changing the outcome of the 2022 midterms

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

I’m starting to think my 4th shot will be Moderna. I don’t think Pfizer is doing it.

The difference in the data was pretty hilarious once Delta become the most common strain in the US.

Joey Steel
Jul 24, 2019

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

A regular poster around these parts who grew up in New Orleans has posted that the introduction and interview poo poo for any job involves sussing out what high school you went to, since the city is so highly segregated by race and wealth that the interviewer will know what kind of background you came from with that one question. cool.

The pro-tier move is to say "LSMSA".

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Covid gonna get ya.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Thanks. So yeah, it's fine that it only gets air leak when I exhale with the valve covered. During normal operation it is - insofar as I can tell - fine. And it passes the negative pressure check just fine.
Am I correct in assuming it's not really possible to pass one test and fail the other since I mean a seal is a seal no?

OSHA calls them “user seal checks” and they’re interchangeable. You only have to do one—positive, negative, or as described in the respirator’s manual. It should not be possible to fail one and not another if you’re conducting them properly.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
Day 3 of 3rd shot of Moderna and Im 100% recovered. Was 4.5 months out from the first shot.

I just went to walmart and had them add the third shot to my existing paperwork, but for those without a "valid" reason, no one asked me a single thing about my condition.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Forseti posted:

^^^ I used to be a DBA lol. I feel Eric Crackle-Ping's pain.

DBAs are loving unsung heroes. I just got moved over to a new team that's struggling with scaling an application, and it's just full of bad design decisions, many of which are database-related. They hadn't had any DBAs involved, ever, until I brought some in, and it shows. Meanwhile, I'm coming from an organization that has applications that connect to databases with hundreds of millions of records and would regularly put significant effort into shaving single-millisecond amounts off their response times, because that actually mattered. A lot of that involved effective caching layers, but our DBAs put in a ton of time optimizing poo poo as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
https://twitter.com/joesonka/status/1427682204893777928