Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Good dog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yeah, it’s totally iOS controlled. We can’t do anything more than ask iOS to open the link in something and hope it’s something good.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

i just went to make a thread and in the preview the text was totally blank. this persisted when i backed up and then hit preview again; also when i backed up there was a bunch of whitespace above the post body but it wasn't actually part of the editable text.

i bravely hit the post button anyway and it made the thread just fine, but i was worried about it.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

yeah it was brave of you to post that thread :twisted:

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

if i posted an empty thread in the imp zone my rear end would have been grass. id never live it down.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

b_d posted:

if i posted an empty thread in the imp zone my rear end would have been grass. id never live it down.

You admit to posting in the imp zone. You can’t live that down ever.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Imp zone is good. I tried to find proof but the goldmine isn’t showing subforums in the app atm lmao

I posted about that thread preview issue earlier b_d but good to know it’s not just me

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

DoomTrainPhD posted:

You admit to posting in the imp zone. You can’t live that down ever.

i'm sad i lost your respect, joe. but i'll carry on.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Annnnd YouTube embeds are working as expected now for no apparent reason. :iiam:

Fake edit- and a new smiley I’ve not seen before :thaoldme:

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I’m having problems uploading pics using the built in IMG tag setup. Has that been noticed by others here? The app hangs on the Posting part and I have to eventually just back up and kill the post.

Edit: well now it suddenly works. Might have been an imgur problem. Sorry about that

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Test.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I’m having problems uploading pics using the built in IMG tag setup. Has that been noticed by others here? The app hangs on the Posting part and I have to eventually just back up and kill the post.

Edit: well now it suddenly works. Might have been an imgur problem. Sorry about that

Glad it worked for you eventually, but just so you know, the built-in imgur upload feature is notoriously unreliable, so you still may need to seek out other ways to upload your images in the future.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
There's a super handy "shortcut" user script somebody can link you to.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

I found one in this thread but it was from 2020 and needed some fixes. Maybe there’s a more recent one.

Here’s a fixed up version of the one I found.
https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/359cba6b734f4c9ea84b634de4b94528

Test

Running this for the first time is a pain. My link won’t work if you haven’t done this before.

Open Shortcuts and download a shortcut from the Gallery. Any shortcut, doesn’t matter. Run it. Congrats, Apple now trusts you to use trusted shortcuts.

But not dodgy ones you find itt!

For that, go into settings and change as per below. THEN you should be able to use my iCloud link.

https://support.apple.com/en-au/guide/shortcuts/apdfeb05586f/ios

e: It’ll be at the bottom of your sharesheet for images. Add it as a favourite and it’ll move to the top.

You can select one or many images from Photos or rehost an image from the internet this way

e2: Updated link

commie kong fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Aug 11, 2021

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Fwiw it’s not letting me add that linked shortcut

https://www.icloud.com/shortcuts/c01586990da34d90ac721265b47cbf48

That’s the one I always use.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

ffs

Shortcuts are also intermittently hosed it seems. Now I can’t get any to show up in the sharesheet at all

I had the “could not verify” error with your link as well, but trying multiple times lets me download them. But no shortcuts show up in the sheet :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

commie kong posted:

ffs

Shortcuts are also intermittently hosed it seems. Now I can’t get any to show up in the sharesheet at all

I had the “could not verify” error with your link as well, but trying multiple times lets me download them. But no shortcuts show up in the sheet :shrug:

It would tell me it added yours but it wouldn't actually show up in the app so I dunno wtf is going on.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Well now it works

Issue persisted through power cycles, app reinstalls, the lot.

But only time can heal iOS

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I just got randomly logged out of my account while browsing. No error message, just booted to the login screen.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kazzah posted:

I just got randomly logged out of my account while browsing. No error message, just booted to the login screen.

Login cookie may have expired? It's only good for a year I think.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
That’s been happening to me a lot in browser as well. On a browser I can just click Control Panel or go somewhere else and it works fine.

edit: seems to have started in last 3 weeks but I haven’t noticed it on the App

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
On the website when you report something there is a checkbox for NWS stuff that has additional alerts besides just the standard post in the report forum. This option is not present in the app.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

b_d posted:

i just went to make a thread and in the preview the text was totally blank. this persisted when i backed up and then hit preview again; also when i backed up there was a bunch of whitespace above the post body but it wasn't actually part of the editable text.

i bravely hit the post button anyway and it made the thread just fine, but i was worried about it.

Well that's no good. On the list it goes!

commie kong posted:

I posted about that thread preview issue earlier b_d but good to know it’s not just me

Oh whoops, I probably just made a duplicate issue then.

Mr. Nice! posted:

On the website when you report something there is a checkbox for NWS stuff that has additional alerts besides just the standard post in the report forum. This option is not present in the app.

I will add this to the list too, thank you for pointing it out!

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!
I’m on the latest iOS 15 public beta, 2nd gen iPhone SE. Every once in a while I’ll be scrolling down a thread and it will scroll down extremely fast. Probably a couple of screens. I scroll using my left thumb on the left side of the screen. I don’t think any other app is doing this, but I can’t be certain (Awful is by far my most used app, so thanks again for that).

edit: lol I’m an idiot. I forgot that I turned on double tap to jump to try it out, and immediately forgot about it. Disregard this post

irpoweroutlet fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 17, 2021

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Did you end up turning it off?

I love that thing and wish other apps had it. But I’m probs the only one using it

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

commie kong posted:

Did you end up turning it off?

I love that thing and wish other apps had it. But I’m probs the only one using it

For twelve years I had been asking, how can I skip john galt?

It’s good

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

I love the idea of a control to skip to the top/bottom of the current post, and I thought I would like the current implementation, but the "double tap" gesture fires way too often for me to use it. Just slowly scrolling along when suddenly, oops, a(n unintentional) double tap gesture was detected, goodbye to the post I'm reading! I use a phone case and perhaps there's something about how I scroll with my finger sometimes touching or resting on the edge of the case? Or something about my skin capacitance? Regardless, the double-tap gesture just ain't working for me :(

There's also the standard double-tap gesture on a non-zoomable view to immediately start selecting words of text, which the "double tap to skip post" function collides with.

I'd love to be able to use the post-skipping feature though! Perhaps a triple tap (to skip current post) and quadruple tap (to scroll up to beginning of current post) would be more widely usable, and especially more usable by me? Or a tap-tap-tap+drag gesture (i.e. a triple tap where you drag on the third tap, and the direction indicates which way to skip), if that's easily recognizable?

Anyway love the app, and would love to be able to use the post-skipping/scrolling feature!

irpoweroutlet
Aug 23, 2005
It's 'Lectric!

Grace Baiting posted:

I love the idea of a control to skip to the top/bottom of the current post, and I thought I would like the current implementation, but the "double tap" gesture fires way too often for me to use it. Just slowly scrolling along when suddenly, oops, a(n unintentional) double tap gesture was detected, goodbye to the post I'm reading! I use a phone case and perhaps there's something about how I scroll with my finger sometimes touching or resting on the edge of the case? Or something about my skin capacitance? Regardless, the double-tap gesture just ain't working for me :(

There's also the standard double-tap gesture on a non-zoomable view to immediately start selecting words of text, which the "double tap to skip post" function collides with.

I'd love to be able to use the post-skipping feature though! Perhaps a triple tap (to skip current post) and quadruple tap (to scroll up to beginning of current post) would be more widely usable, and especially more usable by me? Or a tap-tap-tap+drag gesture (i.e. a triple tap where you drag on the third tap, and the direction indicates which way to skip), if that's easily recognizable?

Anyway love the app, and would love to be able to use the post-skipping/scrolling feature!

I think one of the reddit apps has a floating button on the bottom right of the screen to skip to the next post. That would be nice to have, because I have the same issues you do with the current double tap to jump functionality.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

irpoweroutlet posted:

I think one of the reddit apps has a floating button on the bottom right of the screen to skip to the next post. That would be nice to have, because I have the same issues you do with the current double tap to jump functionality.

A pair of buttons -- skip to bottom/top of current post at bottom/top corners of the thread view -- would fit my needs extremely well, and would be far more discoverable for everyone else too! (And also not feel like a bug!)

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

Grace Baiting posted:

A pair of buttons -- skip to bottom/top of current post at bottom/top corners of the thread view -- would fit my needs extremely well, and would be far more discoverable for everyone else too! (And also not feel like a bug!)

A customisable / disable-able floating button pls. I want the button to toggle autoscroll so I can fall asleep reading posts.

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

drat, that sounds hard. instead may i interest anyone in a menu update idea?

Original icons

System SF Icons

I'd want similar menus for the post actions, post author actions and the posts page settings as well. But boy is that proving tricky

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That’s not the iOS copy icon. This is:

Otherwise I personally like what you’ve done.

E: Turn off dark mode if the image I posted isn’t visible.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

the current vote button makes more sense than that speedometer but it seems fine

commie kong
Mar 7, 2019

Yeah, the SF icons are really just temporary placeholders to show how it looks with icons at default weight.

I still like spanky's icons, but they're a bit chunky for those specific menus. I do prefer that newer Bookmark icon over the original, tho.

spanky's old google drive links itt still work so I might try and make scalable versions in PaintCode.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
why does the thread title often disappear from the top, like the attached image?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah it does that for me all the time and I’ve got no idea what triggers it.

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

commie kong posted:

Yeah, the SF icons are really just temporary placeholders to show how it looks with icons at default weight.

I still like spanky's icons, but they're a bit chunky for those specific menus. I do prefer that newer Bookmark icon over the original, tho.

spanky's old google drive links itt still work so I might try and make scalable versions in PaintCode.

I can make less chunky weights for those menus but it looks to me like they might be scaled wrong there? Like I think the (thicker) lines of that burger should be the same weight as the ones in the menu. Could they be 150% size maybe?

e: Ah, yes I made them different for that particular weird menu. I'll remake them at the correct scale some time soon.

spanky the dolphin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Aug 19, 2021

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

irpoweroutlet posted:

Please no floating buttons, they are horrible and I would like to be able to skip bad posts without having to put up with more intrusive ui elements getting in the way.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Soricidus posted:

Please no floating buttons, they are horrible and I would like to be able to skip bad posts without having to put up with more intrusive ui elements getting in the way.

Yeah I have to agree here. Seems like an ugly solution in search of a problem that warrants it. Not really seeing that problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spanky the dolphin
Sep 3, 2006

commie kong posted:

drat, that sounds hard. instead may i interest anyone in a menu update idea?

Original icons

System SF Icons

I'd want similar menus for the post actions, post author actions and the posts page settings as well. But boy is that proving tricky

Here are the thin icons to test.