Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Monthly Vancouver real estate update. Just some student selling his house for $40 million, nothing to see here

https://twitter.com/mortimer_1/status/1427359371218997255?s=19
It's pretty standard for Chinese parents (maybe others, but the ones I've heard of are explicitly Chinese, often Mainland Chinese) to buy condos for their college-going children, wait till the child graduates, then sell the condo at a profit. Win-win. Vancouver would be the ideal place to do this. The student may be the actual owner, or this may be a way of protecting the profits from being taxable to the parents.

This is, of course, causing runaway housing inflation in college towns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
jaynes said that they didnt have consciousness yet. its more probable that they didnt have certain methods of theory of mind yet. almost certainly they did have a much more immediate point of view on religion than us and religion worked to organize life a lot better for them than for us, where our religions are complete fuckin jokes at it and mostly comprise a way for pedos to get positions diddling children

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

Last year, or this year, there was some research that Stonehenge was actually looted from somewhere in Ireland. Like, taken and moved. Putting rocks on top of other rocks seems easy enough in comparison.

Although the research also acknowledged that there was previous research concluding that, and also that folk tales said that forever so none of it was news to the researchers, or to Irish people I guess.

Edit: Oops, beaten on the legend part. But yeah there was also actual research concluding that based on some sort of analysis of the rocks. I believe they found exactly matching rocks in a site; bits the English didn't bother to take.

I've seen this and also that the development of henges in general is somehow related to a widespread cultural meshing process -- like the physical cultural artifacts around those isles increasingly become more similar as if it's some kind of mutual unification or imposed domination kind of thing?

There's the different stones of different kinds that are glommed together, and they busted open and did carbon analysis on human teeth showing that people in the graves came from all over the place.

It's absolutely plausible to me that the perfidious anglos were even then up to no good, though. :argh:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

bob dobbs is dead posted:

jaynes said that they didnt have consciousness yet. its more probable that they didnt have certain methods of theory of mind yet. almost certainly they did have a much more immediate point of view on religion than us and religion worked to organize life a lot better for them than for us, where our religions are complete fuckin jokes at it and mostly comprise a way for pedos to get positions diddling children

"Ancient people weren't conscious" is a profoundly stupid take, made worse by the fact that it's stolen from snow crash. Have better takes rear end in a top hat

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
My ball sack is more bicameral than any brain that ever lived

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

"Ancient people weren't conscious" is a profoundly stupid take, made worse by the fact that it's stolen from snow crash. Have better takes rear end in a top hat

Jaynes got around this by defining consciousness very specifically as the ability to introspect, which is a lot harder to prove people had back then. Except there's evidence that people did, in fact, have the ability to introspect, so whoops.

Also his theory pre-dates snow crash by like 10 years so if anything snow crash stole it from him.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Shame Boy posted:

Jaynes got around this by defining consciousness very specifically as the ability to introspect, which is a lot harder to prove people had back then. Except there's evidence that people did, in fact, have the ability to introspect, so whoops.

Also his theory pre-dates snow crash by like 10 years so if anything snow crash stole it from him.

Lol. No human being has ever been sexually fulfilled, by which I mean given quintriple digit orgasms by me on a Tuesday in Antarctica.

A take that poo poo belongs to snow crash, your temporal fascism nonwithstanding

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

tokin opposition posted:

i mean, you cant actually believe jaynes but there are lots of parts of the modern and hypermodern mind which are basically enabled and technological in nature. nature of the modern memory depends hard on literacy and you get a vastly different take on memory from illiterate peeps forex

we dont have an example of religion actually working to hold a society together above like 25% literacy rate, to be frank

bob dobbs is dead has issued a correction as of 17:31 on Aug 17, 2021

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

SniperWoreConverse posted:

There is evidence of a multiple henge system of monuments. Woodhenge was discovered in 1929. Other circles and other kinds of roads and paths between them and the river and burial mounds have been found as well.

They did some experiments and were able to use teams of people to manipulate blocks like that with logs in various ways, seems pretty doable.

this guy thinks they all line up or something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chOFFVawhNA

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
:911:

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1427671600229490688

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

In 6 months America allies with the Taliban in exchange for some nice juicy defense contracts

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I seem to recall that the appeal of the AK was originally status symbols from when they were at war with the Soviets.

The coolest of the cool kids always display an AKS 74u because it was the gun helicopter pilots and commandos had so if you had one that made you a bad rear end.

I guess theres also a lot of ammo for the american guns free for the taking also but I think the status symbol concept still holds true

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

I'm pretty sure the AK was the rifle to get because it doesn't need constant care like the american poo poo and that it's the honda civic of the gun world in that there's a loving billion of them and the ammo is readily available also you can shoot it when it's covered in dust, mud, et al

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Slotducks posted:

I'm pretty sure the AK was the rifle to get because it doesn't need constant care like the american poo poo and that it's the honda civic of the gun world in that there's a loving billion of them and the ammo is readily available also you can shoot it when it's covered in dust, mud, et al

ya no thats just dumb bullshit

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Guns are penis extenders and do not need to exist, like penises

Charles Ingalls
Jan 31, 2021

Slotducks posted:

the ar design handles mud much better than the ak

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

well gently caress me i guess i was susceptible to glorious soviet union marketing tactics

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

500 good dogs posted:

wow do u want me to delete my post
499 good dogs

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Guns are penis extenders and do not need to exist, like penises

My trans wife owns several, explain that science :colbert:

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

i mean, you cant actually believe jaynes but there are lots of parts of the modern and hypermodern mind which are basically enabled and technological in nature. nature of the modern memory depends hard on literacy and you get a vastly different take on memory from illiterate peeps forex

we dont have an example of religion actually working to hold a society together above like 25% literacy rate, to be frank

what the gently caress is this nonsense? Seems like illiterate people would rely more heavily on memory since, you know, they don't write things down. Oral histories can go back centuries, etc. Modern literate people don't have to exercise their memories as much because they can write things down and read what other people wrote and not worry about remembering every little thing that happens. Seems like literate people would have a less developed memory as a result. Idiocracy is a documentary.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

raspurtin posted:

what the gently caress is this nonsense? Seems like illiterate people would rely more heavily on memory since, you know, they don't write things down. Oral histories can go back centuries, etc. Modern literate people don't have to exercise their memories as much because they can write things down and read what other people wrote and not worry about remembering every little thing that happens. Seems like literate people would have a less developed memory as a result. Idiocracy is a documentary.

They're not saying illiterate people have less (or less effective) memory, they're saying illiterate people have memory that functions differently.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

My trans wife owns several, explain that science :colbert:

It seems to me that all wives are trans wives, no one is born a wife.

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

They're not saying illiterate people have less (or less effective) memory, they're saying illiterate people have memory that functions differently.

So there's a physical difference in brain tissue? Or that memories are trained differently among literate people? If the latter then okay, but either way it kinda smacks of racism "our culture has more developed memories because we're literate"

Serf
May 5, 2011

the internet makes you stupid

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

"It doesn't matter if Egyptians were slaves or independent contractors, they weren't literate so they couldn't think like us hyper-modern people anyways"

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Slotducks posted:

well gently caress me i guess i was susceptible to glorious soviet union marketing tactics

Should have claimed it was a honeypot for gun nerds and now look at you. Shameful

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

bag em and tag em posted:

Should have claimed it was a honeypot for gun nerds and now look at you. Shameful

100% bagged and tagged, sir.

onto the next one

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

plato puts in the mouth of socrates a long discussion on literacy where, in turn, socrates puts in the mouth of thoth a long discussion on literacy where thoth's servant, the pharaoh thamus, says its poo poo, ruins your memory, and you can't ask scrolls long annoying questions (long annoying questions being, of course, the signature technique of socrates)

memory is a culture-specific feature. socialization and class are culture-specific features. way more poo poo is culture-specific than you imagine because in modern times one vast capitalist-modern culture mostly reigns hegemonic over the earth and even the other cultures lie down with respect to its hegemony

its not just literacy. it's the conception of the right, it's the conception of being, it's the conception of magic and how important it is (who can devote serious state resources to magic with a straight face in modernity? i guess only the fascists), it's the conception of religion, orthodoxy versus orthopraxis, it's the conception of the metaphysics, the underlying roots of physics, the nature of the material, etc etc etc etc etc

we have a strong tendency to believe that elites don't believe their own religion and it wasn't important to them because capitalist elites don't believe in religion at all and it just isn't important to the modern state except as a source of control and loonies. but that's just modern capitalism. even medieval christian rulers were quite genuine in their devotion

bob dobbs is dead has issued a correction as of 20:06 on Aug 17, 2021

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

(who can devote serious state resources to magic with a straight face in modernity? i guess only the fascists)
and the CIA but I repeat myself

raspurtin
Apr 18, 2005

yes, cultural relativism is a thing, no argument there. When you say "they didnt have certain methods of theory of mind yet" you don't know what you're talking about.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

raspurtin posted:

So there's a physical difference in brain tissue? Or that memories are trained differently among literate people? If the latter then okay, but either way it kinda smacks of racism "our culture has more developed memories because we're literate"

The latter, one of Jaynes' core ideas iirc is that what we think of as consciousness and memory are mostly social constructs rather than just entirely like, biological machinery, and thus they can take wildly different forms in different societies and contexts. I mean the brain obviously has some innate biological facility for "remembering poo poo" but what form that takes and how it works appears like it can change a hell of a lot based on environment, socialization, etc, that's all.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

raspurtin posted:

yes, cultural relativism is a thing, no argument there. When you say "they didnt have certain methods of theory of mind yet" you don't know what you're talking about.

i'm being a fuckin weirdo about this in certain ways but formal game theory is a theory of mind and a technology at the same time. I don't think ancient egyptians could've come up with MAD - it requires weapons of great destructive power to exist

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

There are also real, quantifiable differences between male and female human brains. This is however not because :biotruths: but rather because the way you are taught to think actually physically affects your brain.

What I'm saying is that ancient Egyptians probably had different brains, but not majorly so. Also they were definitely conscious, unless you define conscious as "saved by Jesus" or some poo poo.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

i'm being a fuckin weirdo about this in certain ways but formal game theory is a theory of mind and a technology at the same time. I don't think ancient egyptians could've come up with MAD - it requires weapons of great destructive power to exist

I don't think something like "you have dirt on me but I also have dirt on you so let's not do anything too hasty" requires the existence of nuclear weapons

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

GotLag posted:

I don't think something like "you have dirt on me but I also have dirt on you so let's not do anything too hasty" requires the existence of nuclear weapons

ok, what about the resolution of the guess-2/3rds-of-the-total game?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ok, what about the resolution of the guess-2/3rds-of-the-total game?

It's guess 2/3 of the average.

Though I guess if you know how many people there are then guessing the total is basically the same thing.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
ah poo poo yeah sorry

anyhow, weirder poo poo is technology than one would expect

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

On the one hand sure they were paid and all, on the other hand you can't exactly say no when the god-emperor orders you to construct his death castle.

On the other-other hand, video games wouldn't be invented for four thousand years, so what else were you gonna do?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Byzantine posted:

On the other-other hand, video games wouldn't be invented for four thousand years, so what else were you gonna do?

I know it's a couple thousand years later but if the inhabitants of Pompeii are anything to go by the answer is "form a cult around big dicks and jack off a hell of a lot"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

raspurtin posted:

our culture has less developed memories because we're literate. literacy is at its base a way to compensate for your memory being imperfect, if you don't have a crutch then you work much harder to remember things. on a societal scale literacy is often better at information preservation and is obviously much better for information transmission, while the document survives, and not having to devote as much energy to remembering frees you up to do other things - lots of advantages to literacy - but there are some downsides too.