Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Cythereal posted:

Yeah. It's explicitly part of the story that that kind of gruntwork and helping anyone who asks, no matter how humble, is just what the WoL does and a huge part of what makes her a hero.

Yes, this was a good part of the story well told, but there's a line between storytelling and padding, and ARR steps bravely over the line into padding on nearly every possible occasion. I like playing someone who does whatever they can to help, I do not like a mission that asks me to travel to six different map points that i've already been to a dozen times to have inconsequential, one-line conversations with npcs i'll never meet again.

I'm halfway through heavensward, which is as enthralling as everyone says it is and this problem has just about completely gone away, so hooray!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

SettingSun posted:

You get that in game too. /playtime

But I'm a weirdo with alts!

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
You can add non-Steam FFXIV accounts into your Steam client as a non-Steam app and use it for uploading screenshots to your Steam account and such, so ultimately it's just a matter of picking an ecosystem and sticking with it.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Look I'm trying to justify my mistake of buying through Steam here!

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Regalingualius posted:

Is Machinist generally about as squishy as Samurai is for questing?

All DPS generally have the same defense, except for dragoons who are slightly tougher. Casters are a little weaker than physical DPS, but tend to have better defensive abilities/self heals. It doesn't matter much unless you're trying to solo FATEs or something, generally it's better to do quests with a DPS of some sort so you can kill mobs faster.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Leraika posted:

There's no real benefit to playing on steam, tbh.

:hmmyes:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Begemot posted:

All DPS generally have the same defense, except for dragoons who are slightly tougher. Casters are a little weaker than physical DPS, but tend to have better defensive abilities/self heals. It doesn't matter much unless you're trying to solo FATEs or something, generally it's better to do quests with a DPS of some sort so you can kill mobs faster.

and every dps can do just fine questing if they got their Chocobo out! do not underestimate his power.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Regalingualius posted:

Is Machinist generally about as squishy as Samurai is for questing?

Yes, but you can kite enemies pretty easily and questing enemies are never really difficult as long as you aren't underlevelled

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Thanks for the answers.

Are there any deals for the Windows version floating around?

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

I don't think I was even aware you could name your chocobo...

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Mr Fluffy.
Ms Feathery
Mrs Cute.
Sir Boko Esq
Fluffles.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

mine has always been Cirrus, he is a good boy :unsmith:

and now he has armor from the clouds to match his name

nerox
May 20, 2001

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Mine is named Birdie, but its named after my dog. I need some cool bird armor, how do I get that?

Bragon
Apr 7, 2010

Hraesvelgr

I was very surprised later on

super-redguy
Jan 24, 2019

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Hainanchickenrice.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
Chocogno

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Blast Buttstaek

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

Dodmono

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Hcoboco

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

nerox posted:

Mine is named Birdie, but its named after my dog. I need some cool bird armor, how do I get that?

there is a lot of barding you can craft, usually every trial boss has a themed barding you can make using a rare drop material (such as what my chocobo is wearing, it's from a shadowbringers trial boss), and there's some from achievements, gold saucer, FATE world bosses, grand company, etc.

a lot can be found on the market board too. many many options!

edit: also! if you have access to market board and a free company stable, you can change your chocobo's color! mine is Snow White, and while it's a bit of a complicated process involving stabling your chocobo, feeding it a specific selection of fruit, and waiting x amount of hours, there is a handy website for calculating the fruit you need for the color you want!

https://ffxivchocobo.com/en

Kerrzhe fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Aug 17, 2021

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Zurtilik posted:

I don't think I was even aware you could name your chocobo...

Don't you have to name your chocobo in order to use the whistle?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Mine was Ocob and then I changed it to Bobbycorwen. Kind of bummed you can't have spaces though, so I'll probably change it again. Was thinking Kwehtzcoatl.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I liked a quest later on when someone says that their plan needs a rat anus, a scoop of river mud, a bunch of rocks etc, and then says that they've been learning to be self-reliant so they'll get them themselves and you should meet them in the inn after they've done so.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

My Chocobo's name is Goku

People get a li'l upset when his timer runs out and "Goku withdraws from battle." appears in their chat logs. The real Goku would never withdraw from battle.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

Groinblast

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Warkington is a good and faithful companion.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Minolta. I named him after the printer at work.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Fethers

nerox
May 20, 2001

Kerrzhe posted:

there is a lot of barding you can craft, usually every trial boss has a themed barding you can make using a rare drop material (such as what my chocobo is wearing, it's from a shadowbringers trial boss), and there's some from achievements, gold saucer, FATE world bosses, grand company, etc.

a lot can be found on the market board too. many many options!

edit: also! if you have access to market board and a free company stable, you can change your chocobo's color! mine is Snow White, and while it's a bit of a complicated process involving stabling your chocobo, feeding it a specific selection of fruit, and waiting x amount of hours, there is a handy website for calculating the fruit you need for the color you want!

https://ffxivchocobo.com/en

The depth of all the systems in this game is insane.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

Anzu, after a chicken I know through the internet, which is named after a chicken-like dinosaur, which is named after a Mesopotamian demon, and thus is also the name of a monster in this game :v:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My chocobo’s name is pretty boring: Bedwyr

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Choco bar but I'm gonna rename him at some point, dunno what yet

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Parthimal, I wanted something knightly. I also dyed him slate gray and decked him out in armour.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

post your chocobo names.

mine's nugget

On my main server:
Khamsin (Othard Blue)
Myrgansunn (Rose Pink)
Charakha (Royal Purple)
Janremi (Gloom Purple)
Monsoon (Slate Grey)
Mistral (Apple Green)
Jetstream (Snow White)
Sundowner (Dalamud Red)

I also have an alt I made on a different server to attend a friend's wedding that I named Companion Cube, so naturally I had to name his chocobo Chell.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

Qwertycoatl posted:

I liked a quest later on when someone says that their plan needs a rat anus, a scoop of river mud, a bunch of rocks etc, and then says that they've been learning to be self-reliant so they'll get them themselves and you should meet them in the inn after they've done so.

There are also times you talk to people with your fellow Scions and they say “we’ll take care of the rat ani and rocks, so that just leaves the mud” and it always makes them feel like total bros.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Ruzihm posted:

Don't you have to name your chocobo in order to use the whistle?

Ah, I played through ARR a couple years ago and when I rejoined I made and story boosted through ARR on this character, so that might be what the deal is there.

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I'm somewhere in the beginning of Stormblood and I've decided to try my hand at tanking with gunbreaker.

My understanding of tanking when there are multiple tanks is that one is the main tank, and the other(s) will be second on enmity list and pick up adds, ready to swap in when needed. And in order to stay second on enmity, I'd just keep tank stance off for a few gcds in the beginning, and shirk the main tank if I ever start getting too close to them. But when do I know when to provoke and swap with the main tank (besides when they die)?

And in terms of defensive cooldowns, I should be using them when there are a lot of adds or a tankbuster-esque attack is about to hit right? The ones with a longer cast time...

It's been pretty fun so far!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I called my Horsebird Steve. I like giving my pets mundane names in games. When I played around with a demon summoning Master Mind in City of Heroes I renamed all my demons stuff like 'Bob', 'Steve' 'Alan' and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

whalestory posted:

I'm somewhere in the beginning of Stormblood and I've decided to try my hand at tanking with gunbreaker.

My understanding of tanking when there are multiple tanks is that one is the main tank, and the other(s) will be second on enmity list and pick up adds, ready to swap in when needed. And in order to stay second on enmity, I'd just keep tank stance off for a few gcds in the beginning, and shirk the main tank if I ever start getting too close to them. But when do I know when to provoke and swap with the main tank (besides when they die)?

And in terms of defensive cooldowns, I should be using them when there are a lot of adds or a tankbuster-esque attack is about to hit right? The ones with a longer cast time...

It's been pretty fun so far!

knowing when to tank swap is pretty much reserved for end game fights like extremes and savage, where you'll be expected to have at least watched a video guide first most likely, either pugging or in a static. going through story mode raids i don't remember a case where a tank swap was necessary. you're totally correct on how to stay 2nd on aggro! if you do need to do a tank swap, usually the boss will be casting something, and you just provoke during the cast, and the other tank will shirk afterwards. very simple.

for defense you're right on the money again. part of the game of learning how to tank is figuring out which of the boss's moves are a tank buster as you're fighting. it's just a matter of remembering the name of whatever just hit you hardest.

if you're doing big dungeon pulls, you'll want to spread out your defense skills over time, to maximize efficiency while having at least something up most of the time. Arm's Length, Reprisal, Rampart are universal for all tanks and great for this. I don't play gunbreaker so i dunno what their class specific buttons are other than Superbolide which is the big oh-poo poo button which then makes the healer go oh poo poo :v: