Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sakurazuka posted:

The AA universe has only recently become 3D and everyone forgets apart from the protagonist

It's like that Calvin and Hobbes strip where Calvin's dad is loving with him and telling him the world wasn't in color until like the 1930s and that's why old film is black-and-white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
There's a trailer somewhere in the extras where Phoenix and Maya meet Ryunosuke and Susato. They cotton on to the fact that Ryunosuke is Nick's ancestor and that there's been some time shenanigans, but once they've come to terms with it, Maya points out that she's freaked out by how goddamn smooth their movements are, when Phoenix uses like three frames to slam a desk. They do a point-off with Ryunosuke cleanly winning with his camera pan, and they conclude that somehow, Nick and Maya are also the predecessors of Ryunosuke and Susato. Nick then tries to pull off a fancy 3D point, with disastrous results.

Ace Attorney characters are canonically terrible at thinking in three dimensions. Ryunosuke's ability to look at the back of things without having to be taught is an arcane talent, similar to Apollo's poker tell spotting, the magatama, or Edgeworth's ability to logically connect two pieces of information.

Play posted:

lmao drat you are capturing the tone/writing perfectly

not that I don't love the game, because I absolutely do

I call foul. What prosecutor would ever refer to a defense attorney by their first name???

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

or, indeed, by name at all

isn't edgeworth literally the only prosecutor with no degrading and/or affectionate nickname (if they even bother with any kind of name) for the defence

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Franziska refers to people by their full name. Blackquill does use the defense's names but with samurai honorifics, and reserves the nicknames for everyone else. I think Nahyuta eventually calls Apollo by his first name, and Klavier rarely calls him Herr Justice?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Godot used an insulting nickname specifically tailored to Nick.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

2-4, investigation: I was just thinking we'd gotten pretty far in this case with no malfeasance and welp, RIP to a real one

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

(2-4)if Gregson wanted to have been a real one he wouldn't have been perfectly willing to let Gina hang for his ~secret government mission~ not six months earlier

he clearly regrets it but despite all game 2 does to try to make him more likeable before his inevitable death they really didn't manage to ever gain my sympathies for him

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Amppelix posted:

(2-4)if Gregson wanted to have been a real one he wouldn't have been perfectly willing to let Gina hang for his ~secret government mission~ not six months earlier

he clearly regrets it but despite all game 2 does to try to make him more likeable before his inevitable death they really didn't manage to ever gain my sympathies for him

(2-4)
The bit where he replies to Shamspeare in the second case gave him a couple points in my favor to be honest, but I couldn't get past 1-5.

If Gregson had a character arc where he faces what he did, properly shows remorse, and then takes on Gina as an apprentice, I wouldn't have had any hangups about him at all. But there straight-up isn't enough room in Resolve to fit that character arc, particularly because 2-3 is the only possible case that takes place between 1-5 and 2-4, so the writers pretty much had to drop that thread and pretend like he didn't do that. Which makes sense, but also makes me wish that this was somehow a trilogy and we had an interstitial game between Adventures and Resolve :v:

Bluff Buster
Oct 26, 2011

(2-4)Yeah, that really is a sticking point there, isn't it? I don't think it's ever even addressed by anyone after 1-5, not even by Gina. Was it just assumed that Gregson's actions would be seen as sympathetic because he was protecting state secrets, or is it just a case of not enough time in development and having to cut it out?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
(2-4) counterpoint: Gina cries over his death, and anything that makes Gina sad makes me sad, because she is precious and also my daughter. :colbert: (She clearly forgives him for it so I'm willing to say most of that development happened offscreen.)

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Blaziken386 posted:

(2-4) counterpoint: Gina cries over his death, and anything that makes Gina sad makes me sad, because she is precious and also my daughter. :colbert: (She clearly forgives him for it so I'm willing to say most of that development happened offscreen.)

(2-4)
Gina's reaction to this whole thing did affect me, particularly in later parts of the case, but unfortunately I just can't let go of what happened in 1-5.
I think one of the main sticking points is as Bluff Buster says -- nobody else acts like this happened. You'd think Iris or Ryunosuke would be a little more conflicted about Gregson considering that Gina's her friend, but they're pretty much all sunshine and roses with Gregson in the first 2-3 investigation (aside from the bit about the screwdriver). And I could understand Gina forgiving him off screen, and possibly even everybody else, since Resolve takes place months after Adventures, but I would need the game to at least allude to that happening, but it doesn't, as far as I can remember.

So unfortunately I haven't come around on Gregson and the fact that no one in-game seems to remember or care honestly bugs me, but I understand why the writers made the decision they did. I still feel real bad for Gina though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Araxxor posted:

1-4 I will say I think it was a bit of a missed opportunity to not have the victim testify in the story to complicate things to really throw a wrench into the formula, since she wasn't dead.

2-2 Well looks like I got my wish!

EDIT related to the above: Did they mix up the audio sounds for Juror 4 and 6? Pretty sure Juror 6 didn't have the high pitched beeps in his previous appearances.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 18, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Amppelix posted:

that seems like a weird thing to say about the prosecutor who clearly cares the most about the actual truth of the case in this series

you must have forgotten how bad it usually is

and yes, he does call for early convictions every time but it's not his fault all of ryunosuke's cases are locked room mysteries with one incredibly obvious culprit every time lol

Regy Rusty posted:

This series HAS to have prosecutors be wrong the majority of the time in order for it to work. That's just a basic requirement of the format. Sometimes they do better jobs of justifying it than others, but it's something you just have to accept that even the more sympathetic prosecutors are going to spend almost all of their game time being totally wrong.

I know that the prosecution has to be wrong, my problem is that Zieks specifically seems to dislike Ryu for not being a perfect lawyer when he's doing worse as a prosecutor. A rookie getting owned by his client is much more forgivable than a experienced prosecutor tossing the first person available into jail for life. Most of the other prosecutors care more about the fact that you're getting in their way than your skill as a lawyer.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Finished 2-2 Well that took a heavy turn. But it was very satisfying to take down Shamsphere. Also after a bunch of cases where Ryunosuke was getting his feet wet, it's really satisfying to hear the pursuit theme more often in the second game when you pin the fuckers, and get to witness their breakdowns.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

There's a trailer somewhere in the extras where Phoenix and Maya meet Ryunosuke and Susato. They cotton on to the fact that Ryunosuke is Nick's ancestor and that there's been some time shenanigans, but once they've come to terms with it, Maya points out that she's freaked out by how goddamn smooth their movements are, when Phoenix uses like three frames to slam a desk. They do a point-off with Ryunosuke cleanly winning with his camera pan, and they conclude that somehow, Nick and Maya are also the predecessors of Ryunosuke and Susato. Nick then tries to pull off a fancy 3D point, with disastrous results.

The translation on that bit is more fun localization wrangling, because in the Japanese audio, they catch on to the fact that they're related by way of saying their surnames at the same time--but of course, their surnames are different in English. In the audio Maya just goes "Naruhodo?" but in the captions she goes "oh lol I thought you'd turn out to have the same surname for some reason", then Susato, who originally just reacted with "oh, are you brothers", now suggests that the two are related by saying they share the same spikiness of hair.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Brandfarlig posted:

I know that the prosecution has to be wrong, my problem is that Zieks specifically seems to dislike Ryu for not being a perfect lawyer when he's doing worse as a prosecutor. A rookie getting owned by his client is much more forgivable than a experienced prosecutor tossing the first person available into jail for life. Most of the other prosecutors care more about the fact that you're getting in their way than your skill as a lawyer.

Zieks specifically has a grudge[obvious from the start but i think it's only confirmed in 1-5, maybe?] against the Japanese so he's not making GBS threads on you for not being perfect, he's being an obstinate rear end in a top hat because he hates you

e: like British Godot, basically, except he is interested in actually solving the case on some level unlike Bean Boy who was just there to gently caress with you

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 18, 2021

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Waffleman_ posted:

2-4 Herlock Sholmes what the gently caress are you doing

Herlock, again....

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Waffleman_ posted:

2-4 Herlock Sholmes what the gently caress are you doing

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Trolling.
Always trolling.

Except the times he's in coke withdrawal.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
G2-4: That's a real weird place to end that episode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

2-4 Ah geez aw gently caress Kazuma is the prosecution

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

G2-4: That's a real weird place to end that episode.

Not sure why they even bothered to make 2-4 and 2-5 separate cases, other than to say both games have five cases each.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
On the tail of that effortpost about Sholmes' deductions, I started thinking about what other references there are to the Holmes stories. I'm sure this is far from an exhaustive list, but I think these are all the obvious ones [Full Chronicles spoilers, and also some The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes spoilers]

Characters: Inspectors G. Lestrade and Tobias Gregson were the two inspectors to prominently feature in Holmes' adventures. Randst magazine is a reference to the Strand magazine in which the stories were originally published, and 221B baker street is the address as written. The character of Watson is split across Iris, as the author of the stories, John H., mostly as a red herring, and Yujin Mikotoba, as the actual partner character on whom Iris' stories are based.
A bunch of character names are also from Holmes stories, but with no connection to the characters, as far as I can tell. Enoch Drebber was the first victim in A Study in Scarlet, the first Holmes story, John Clay and Duncan Ross were the scammers in The Red-headed League and "the Professor" was the title of Holmes' nemesis, Moriarty.
Iris' blackboard contains various story titles, and the trophy collection in Sholmes' office is likewise a bunch of references. Off the top of my head, there's a bust of Napoleon (the six Napoleons), a picture of The Woman (a Scandal in Bohemia), and Iris has notes about the Boscombe Valley Mystery and the Blue Carbuncle. There's definitely more references to be found here.
The Speckled Band: Case 1-2 makes no secret of the reference here, and the name Grimesby Roylott is also lifted directly.
The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton: Referenced in 1-3 and 1-5, with the character relationships swapped around; we only see the name Milverton in 1-5 when we learn that that was the name of the victim in 1-3 as well as his son, who had killed McGilded (a loan shark and kingpin, rather than a blackmailer) in revenge. Holmes' revulsion is taken up by van Zieks.
The Hound of the Baskervilles: Frequently mentioned by title. The name Selden (from 2-2) is also from here.
The Adventure of the three Garridebs: John Garrideb's name comes from here, and Shamspeare's scheme to vacate the first floor lodgings so he can access a criminal's hidden loot is vaguely similar.
The Red-Headed League: Sholmes' deduction in 1-5 and the Red-Headed League in 2-4 are both direct references.
A Scandal in Bohemia: The 2-4 deduction and Gotts in 2-3.
The Man With the Twisted Lip: Hugh Boone/Gossip is an overt reference to this one.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Not sure why they even bothered to make 2-4 and 2-5 separate cases, other than to say both games have five cases each.
the final trial gains a lot of added dramatic weight by being declared the final episode.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

On the tail of that effortpost about Sholmes' deductions, I started thinking about what other references there are to the Holmes stories. I'm sure this is far from an exhaustive list, but I think these are all the obvious ones [Full Chronicles spoilers, and also some The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes spoilers]

Characters: Inspectors G. Lestrade and Tobias Gregson were the two inspectors to prominently feature in Holmes' adventures. Randst magazine is a reference to the Strand magazine in which the stories were originally published, and 221B baker street is the address as written. The character of Watson is split across Iris, as the author of the stories, John H., mostly as a red herring, and Yujin Mikotoba, as the actual partner character on whom Iris' stories are based.
A bunch of character names are also from Holmes stories, but with no connection to the characters, as far as I can tell. Enoch Drebber was the first victim in A Study in Scarlet, the first Holmes story, John Clay and Duncan Ross were the scammers in The Red-headed League and "the Professor" was the title of Holmes' nemesis, Moriarty.
Iris' blackboard contains various story titles, and the trophy collection in Sholmes' office is likewise a bunch of references. Off the top of my head, there's a bust of Napoleon (the six Napoleons), a picture of The Woman (a Scandal in Bohemia), and Iris has notes about the Boscombe Valley Mystery and the Blue Carbuncle. There's definitely more references to be found here.
The Speckled Band: Case 1-2 makes no secret of the reference here, and the name Grimesby Roylott is also lifted directly.
The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton: Referenced in 1-3 and 1-5, with the character relationships swapped around; we only see the name Milverton in 1-5 when we learn that that was the name of the victim in 1-3 as well as his son, who had killed McGilded (a loan shark and kingpin, rather than a blackmailer) in revenge. Holmes' revulsion is taken up by van Zieks.
The Hound of the Baskervilles: Frequently mentioned by title. The name Selden (from 2-2) is also from here.
The Adventure of the three Garridebs: John Garrideb's name comes from here, and Shamspeare's scheme to vacate the first floor lodgings so he can access a criminal's hidden loot is vaguely similar.
The Red-Headed League: Sholmes' deduction in 1-5 and the Red-Headed League in 2-4 are both direct references.
A Scandal in Bohemia: The 2-4 deduction and Gotts in 2-3.
The Man With the Twisted Lip: Hugh Boone/Gossip is an overt reference to this one.

Ooh very nice. I recognized most of these but Milverton and Garrideb passed me by.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

G1-3 BEPPPPPOOOOO!!!:argh:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
2-3/2-4 sorta-spoilers lol I don't know how deliberate this is but this whole backstory about the Professor, and Genshin Asogi being a serial killer, is like an Ace Attorney flavored version of the local historical urban legend here in the Philippines that our national hero, Jose Rizal, was actually Jack the Ripper, because he fit the profile and was studying in London at the time. Not to mention that a short story exists where Sherlock Holmes investigates the possibility that Rizal was Jack (although that story was written just a few years ago, so it did not precede GAA2).

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
2-4 & 2-5 spoilers wow i cant believe sholmes and mikotoba were gay and also dating. congratulations to susato on her new step dad

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Argue posted:

2-3/2-4 sorta-spoilers lol I don't know how deliberate this is but this whole backstory about the Professor, and Genshin Asogi being a serial killer, is like an Ace Attorney flavored version of the local historical urban legend here in the Philippines that our national hero, Jose Rizal, was actually Jack the Ripper, because he fit the profile and was studying in London at the time. Not to mention that a short story exists where Sherlock Holmes investigates the possibility that Rizal was Jack (although that story was written just a few years ago, so it did not precede GAA2).
That does sound pretty similar, although I think basically every notable person who was in London at the time has been accused of being Jack the Ripper at some point.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Got through Escapade 6, and that made me wonder how that segment was handled in Japanese. I can't imagine the subject matter really changed all that much since it was talking about both English and Japanese, but the writing absolutely had to.

Also that reminds me. As funny as the whole Japanifornia thing is, it's probably for the best the localizers took the opportunity for a clean break and stuck more closely to the original settings. Because I really don't see how the Japanifornia stuff could have worked out here without turning into a clusterfuck and wrecking some of the game's themes.

2-3 I basically cackled when Ryunosuke and Iris had the opportunity to investigate von Zieks's office and was able to annoy the poo poo out of him. :allears:

Also theory for early on in that case: I'm going to assume von Zieks's apprentice is somehow Kazuma. The case title seems to imply someone might be coming back from the dead, and he's been mentioned an awful lot throughout both games. Not to mention Stronghart seems to know what he was originally supposed to be there for. I have no idea how he faked being dead or avoided a burial at sea/land though. Course he could have just been that important to Ryunosuke and Susato to truly let his memory die and I'm horribly off the mark there.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Aug 19, 2021

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Araxxor posted:

2-3 I basically cackled when Ryunosuke and Iris had the opportunity to investigate von Zieks's office and was able to annoy the poo poo out of him. :allears:

2-3 He has bats. Bats. :allears:
It's up there with Edgeworth's office in comedic seriousness, all that's missing are the chess pieces surrounding a Japanese flag.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

G1-3I don't care if the game called me out on thinking it, no one stylizes an M like that, it is clearly a W. :argh:

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
GAA 2-4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcc6Mtqhm4k

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

G1-3

Bringing
Endless
Pain to the
Pride of
Omnibusers

:argh:BEPPO:argh:

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Araxxor posted:

That gag is the start of Zieks suddenly becoming a great character for the rest of the game

e:

Omobono posted:

2-3 He has bats. Bats. :allears:
It's up there with Edgeworth's office in comedic seriousness, all that's missing are the chess pieces surrounding a Japanese flag.

Don't forget the pompous outfit in an elaborate picture frame, it's the most Edgeworth thing imaginable

Yinlock fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Aug 19, 2021

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Jesus christ the jurors of 1-5.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

When I got to that scene it seemed a lot more macabre than it turned out to be lol

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Blaziken386 posted:

2-4 & 2-5 spoilers wow i cant believe sholmes and mikotoba were gay and also dating. congratulations to susato on her new step dad

This reveal and subsequent reunion made me so happy :unsmith:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

1-3The deeper I get into this case, the more I understand Von Zieks sitting out for 5 years and drinking in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

2-5 Midgame

This last dance of deduction is amazing, and I love that it proves that Sholmes has in fact, been loving with us this entire time. :allears: