Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

You have to slap it on harder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

Except with oil still oozing through it because there's not a goddamn thing out there that will seal an already-wet surface.

Silicone self-healing tape will do it, but I can't imagine how you'd apply that to an oil drain plug.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

Cage posted:

Did you check amazon? They do free shipping on orders over $35 and have quite a bit of automotive parts.

Is this what you need? - https://www.amazon.com/Evan-Fischer...999+Honda+Civic

That seems to be exactly what I need, thank you.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Can anyone that's sat in a C8 comment on its roominess compared to the 6 and 7? I can't even find one to sit in. I'm 6'5" and fit okay in the C6 but the one time I tried to sit in a C7 I sat down in the seat and tried to swing my legs in and my knees hit the dash where it starts to swoop back into the door, literally couldn't get my legs in. It's possible I could have gotten in with the old one leg at a time method but I never tried.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I thought it was your dick that was big, not your legs?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

bird is big in many ways

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I want to start looking at newer, sportier cars than my daily and I like the idea of going back to a stick. Problem is the manual is dying in the US more every year.

So my question is this, have any of you gone from a stick to a flappy paddle gearbox in a modern sports car and feel like it scratches the itch, or should I just banish myself to muscle/WRX/Golf land if I want something fun I can feel connected to?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

The flappy paddles don't scratch the itch, but I find that a combination of being older, and automatic transmissions being so much better these days, I don't miss rowing my own gears. Modern transmissions are so much better than the old 4 speed autos of 20 years ago. I've probably used the flappy paddles less than 10 times in 7 years in my current car. There's a sport setting on the transmission that holds gears longer and acts similar to the way I'd control the transmission manually, so it's been fine for what I want. I drove nothing but stick the first 10 years of my life, but I just don't miss it like some folks seem to.

I don't have a fun 2nd/3rd car though. If I was buying a toy, I'm 50/50 on if I'd get the manual transmission or not. I've been kicking the idea of buying a Mustang as a 2nd car for a couple years now, and the 10 speed I had in a rental Mustang was really good.

Strangely I have this nagging desire to teach my kids to drive a stick like my parents did with me, even though there's a 99% chance they'll never be in the position to need to drive a manual transmission vehicle.

edit:

That being said, if you want a manual transmission vehicle, you better get one while they're still around. In my case, the next gen Mustang coming next year might be one of the last times you can get a new vehicle with a V8 and a manual transmission. The take rate on manuals keeps dropping and sooner or later they might disappear completely.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 17, 2021

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Anyone ever had an intermittent oil burning problem?

My 12 GTI (116k miles) had the oil separator replaced in May for what was a little over 1qt/1k mile oil burn. I checked after 400 miles and oil was still at the max hatch marks. 1500 miles later and I noticed a dip in gas mileage so I checked again and I was down 2qts. I filled back up to max hash and after 100 miles found I was down nearly 1/2qt. I filled it back up once more, drove 150 miles and its still at the top of max hash.

Im getting it checked out later this week but wanted to get some thoughts here. Hot weather, harder acceleration, something else that would cause this?

Ive been having other problems with it recently and if this one isnt simple I might cave and look for a replacement car even with the absurd prices.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Rolo posted:

I want to start looking at newer, sportier cars than my daily and I like the idea of going back to a stick. Problem is the manual is dying in the US more every year.

So my question is this, have any of you gone from a stick to a flappy paddle gearbox in a modern sports car and feel like it scratches the itch, or should I just banish myself to muscle/WRX/Golf land if I want something fun I can feel connected to?

I went from a manual GTI to an auto 3 Series. I miss the manual all the time. The paddles don't have the same feedback, the eight gears are close together and are too smooth, it just feels like tapping a button instead of shifting gears, the sport auto mode is as good around town. Maybe if I tracked the car, but it's just "tap, tap, tap, tap, tap" until I get up to speed and then not much else. 99% of the time, I just use it to downshift for engine braking.

(The gearbox itself is amazing, I have no issues with how it drives.)

I almost immediately started thinking about getting a 2nd fun car.

That said I took it on the highways around Chicago at night and it was a blast. Just high speed shifts around sweeping curves and up on ramps. It worked beautifully there.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Rolo posted:

I bought a FiST :shrug:

if I had the space/money/flexibility to have a(nother) single purpose car itd probably be an MX5

if I needed it to also pull Daily/Grocery Getter duty Id wait for the new manual Civic hatches to come out. That + the $40k to swing it and Id be in a Type R in a heartbeat. Honestly if your concern is manuals dying out/becoming rare Id steer you toward a Honda over a VW/Ford

Are you looking for more of a Sporty Daily or is this strictly gonna serve as a weekend partner to your existing car?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Leaning towards a single sporty daily. That said, I do not drive a lot for work, maybe 5k miles a year if that, so it doesnt have to be particularly traffic-comfortable. I would like a sedan with a real trunk though.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
M340i, and if that's too much money GLI/Civic Si/WRX are all available as sedans with a Real Transmission

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Theres no manual on the M340i, otherwise itd be perfect.

Now the M240i, that did come with a manual until the new 2022 model

The incoming Civic Si is gonna be sweet

Good looking sedans are cool and all, but Ill always be a hatch and wagon-loving Jalop at heart

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

oh poo poo for some reason I though they kept it

Looks like it's CT-5 Blackwing or M3 time

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yea I looked at those BMWs but the 3 would have been out of budget regardless and the 2022 M240i has to have some catch for being that price.

I assumed it would be tiny in person. They dont even call it a sedan, its a 4 door coupe.

I think Im gonna lean toward a WRX if the 2022 ends up being cool or a 2019-2021 deal pops up.

Rolo fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Aug 17, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Rolo posted:

Yea I looked at those BMW’s but the 3 would have been out of budget regardless and the 2022 M240i has to have some catch for being that price.

I assumed it would be tiny in person. They don’t even call it a sedan, it’s a 4 door coupe.

I think I’m gonna lean toward a WRX if the 2022 ends up being cool or a 2019-2021 deal pops up.

Id look at used manual M240is, you can get em in the $25-45k range

But also Im really smitten with the new Civics and Im so excited to see what the type R/Si bring

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Trailer tire/driving question:

My wife asked me about what she should do if she's driving the horse trailer (2 axle trailer) and a tire blows out or loses pressure and I couldn't really say much other than "slow down". I told her that if she's driving with the trailer without horses, that she should keep driving (but slower at 50mph?) until there's a safe place to pull over or get off the highway to change tires. If she has horses in back, to slow down (30-40mph?) until she can safely stop or get off the highway. The tires are only two years old and we keep them at the proper pressures, but she's about to go on a 4-5hr drive with her friend and their horses so I'd rather give her an actual answer if someone has a better idea.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
That's basically right, but there's a crucial part - of a blowout occurs, you should accelerate slightly until you have control of the trailer. Then slowly back off to a point where you can pull over and evaluate. Don't brake until below 20 mph if it can be helped. This will help massively to avoid sudden changes in attitude from the trailer. The same principal applies when you're not towing, especially with vehicles with high sidewalls.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
Is there a substantial difference between H and V rated tires in normal driving? My car (a 2015 Mazda 3) came with V rated tires that need replacement, and one of the better reviewed sets of tires in the correct size is H rated.

Since I don't do anything more extreme than interstate driving, the car never gets above about 85mph, so I'd assume the speed rating doesn't matter, but I didn't know if there was some fundamental difference between the two that I'm overlooking.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Rolo posted:

I think Im gonna lean toward a WRX if the 2022 ends up being cool or a 2019-2021 deal pops up.

The new BRZ is coming out, and it still has the manual transmission. I can tell you from experience the old style are fun as poo poo to drive. Not very practical though.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Cooling system question:

gently caress Jaguar.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Rolo posted:

Yea I looked at those BMWs but the 3 would have been out of budget regardless and the 2022 M240i has to have some catch for being that price.

I assumed it would be tiny in person. They dont even call it a sedan, its a 4 door coupe.

no no no do not buy the 2 series Gran Coupe, only buy the 2 series regular coupe

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

two_beer_bishes posted:

My wife asked me about what she should do if she's driving the horse trailer (2 axle trailer) and a tire blows out or loses pressure and I couldn't really say much other than "slow down". I told her that if she's driving with the trailer without horses, that she should keep driving (but slower at 50mph?) until there's a safe place to pull over or get off the highway to change tires. If she has horses in back, to slow down (30-40mph?) until she can safely stop or get off the highway. The tires are only two years old and we keep them at the proper pressures, but she's about to go on a 4-5hr drive with her friend and their horses so I'd rather give her an actual answer if someone has a better idea.

You already got good advice on how to drive, but to prevent the most likely cause of a blowout I really suggest a trailer TPMS system like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-Tire-...29302539&sr=8-3

I only recently found out these were a thing (and relatively inexpensive). Knowing these exist I would absolutely positively not run a trailer long distance without one. Especially a horse trailer.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Actual cooling system question (with a side of rant):

My beloved Jaguar XK8 convertible (MY2000, 4.0L AJ-V8 NA, ~82,000 miles) has the stupidest loving cooling system known to man and I loving hate it.

Supposedly, the design principle was to get the engine up to temperature as quickly as possible such that Jaguar Man could slither his way around ol' blighty looking for cougars upon whom he could pounce - top down, frigid Thatcherian wind in his (remaining) hair - his turgid will reinforced by a near instantaneous furnace-like blast from the excellent heating system.

Well the thing is - the heater is excellent and gets up to temp quickly - because the loving engine bay is ultra cramped and has barely any airflow. All of the sound deadening further enhances thermal insulation. The air intake at the front is loving tiny (gets reduced even further if you put a license plate on as is mandatory in my state) and all of this is further isolated from air at the sides and rear with a thick rubber seal.

On top of all of that, I believe the circulated coolant volume is too low. I "believe" this because of the entirely predictable "Engine Coolant Low" warnings, when the engine coolant is *not* low. Here's how it typically goes down:

1). Engine stone cold - say, parked overnight. Or for loving 10 days even.
2). Check coolant reservoir. It's near the firewall on the driver side, about the size of a loving butter tub. It's full (to the bottom of the filler neck). Like, any more coolant and it'll overflow when I screw the cap in.
3). Start engine, drive around for a while, say, 40mph+ consistently. All is well. OBD temps say 198-203.
4). I stop the car briefly - or hit bad traffic for a period of... let's say 5+ minutes of either condition. Temps get above 210. Fans come on. ENGINE COOLANT LOW.
5). I go back to highway/faster driving, temps drop back down to normal range, eventually the alarm goes away. Maybe 10-15 minutes after dropping back to 203 or so.

So I went on the Jaguar Forums, folks there said "replace the reservoir". Did that last year. They said "replace the cap with a Jaguar OEM part". Did that ($56, lol). "Replace the sensor - it's sticking". It was replaced with the bottle last year. And it's not sticking. Finally they said to check the coolant overflow tank - this is an extra coolant bottle that lives in the passenger side front wheel well, behind the wheel arch cover. So I took a look at the tank and it's fine (Not sure what I am looking for - there's no leaks - it had about a pint of coolant in it, hoses looked fine).

So yeah, not sure what to do from here. I'm sick as gently caress of getting the "ENGINE COOLANT LOW" warning. I've replaced the bottle, cap, sensor - I haven't replaced the overflow tank (doesn't look like it needs it anyways) and while I suppose I could replace the hoses that lead there I don't know what it would do. There don't seem to be any leaks (I'm not losing coolant).

I'm genuinely tempted to go shopping for another bottle to replace the main reservoir - but rather than one that holds maybe 2 pints I get one from a loving F250 or something. I'm also not sure if I'll gain anything out of posting this other than just venting but I don't have a therapist so if anyone wants to give me a hearty "there, there" I'll take that too.

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 18, 2021

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I'm going to repaint the roof (just between the rails, everything else is fine) on my 2007 Tacoma double cab myself. The entire clear coat is gone, but only in a couple small spots has the paint flaked/abraded off to metal, and what little rust there is is only surface, maybe a couple dime-sized patches. I don't have access to a sprayer, so it'll have to be rattle canned. I'm not a fantastic painter but good enough for my own satisfaction. I really can't afford to have it done professionally. I found a local auto paint supplier that will match OEM codes, and I assume he'll have all the right sand, prep, and final finish materials as well.

So my questions:
Do I need to sand every bit of the surface I'll be painting down to bare metal?
Does 1 can of primer, 2 cans base, 1 can clear coat sound right? I'm guessing it's about 25 sq feet.
Should my primer be 2K?
I plan on 2K clear, is that a good choice for longevity?

I'll likely have 3 cans of base charged since that's a pint and it'll be good to have more for such as doorjamb touchups over the years.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sarcastx posted:

My beloved Jaguar XK8 convertible (MY2000, 4.0L AJ-V8 NA, ~82,000 miles) has the stupidest loving cooling system known to man and I loving hate it.

Supposedly, the design principle was to get the engine up to temperature as quickly as possible such that Jaguar Man could slither his way around ol' blighty looking for cougars upon whom he could pounce - top down, frigid Thatcherian wind in his (remaining) hair - his turgid will reinforced by a near instantaneous furnace-like blast from the excellent heating system.

Well the thing is - the heater is excellent and gets up to temp quickly - because the loving engine bay is ultra cramped and has barely any airflow. All of the sound deadening further enhances thermal insulation. The air intake at the front is loving tiny (gets reduced even further if you put a license plate on as is mandatory in my state) and all of this is further isolated from air at the sides and rear with a thick rubber seal.

On top of all of that, I believe the circulated coolant volume is too low. I "believe" this because of the entirely predictable "Engine Coolant Low" warnings, when the engine coolant is *not* low. Here's how it typically goes down:

1). Engine stone cold - say, parked overnight. Or for loving 10 days even.
2). Check coolant reservoir. It's near the firewall on the driver side, about the size of a loving butter tub. It's full (to the bottom of the filler neck). Like, any more coolant and it'll overflow when I screw the cap in.
3). Start engine, drive around for a while, say, 40mph+ consistently. All is well. OBD temps say 198-203.
4). I stop the car briefly - or hit bad traffic for a period of... let's say 5+ minutes of either condition. Temps get above 210. Fans come on. ENGINE COOLANT LOW.
5). I go back to highway/faster driving, temps drop back down to normal range, eventually the alarm goes away. Maybe 10-15 minutes after dropping back to 203 or so.

So I went on the Jaguar Forums, folks there said "replace the reservoir". Did that last year. They said "replace the cap with a Jaguar OEM part". Did that ($56, lol). "Replace the sensor - it's sticking". It was replaced with the bottle last year. And it's not sticking. Finally they said to check the coolant overflow tank - this is an extra coolant bottle that lives in the passenger side front wheel well, behind the wheel arch cover. So I took a look at the tank and it's fine (Not sure what I am looking for - there's no leaks - it had about a pint of coolant in it, hoses looked fine).

So yeah, not sure what to do from here. I'm sick as gently caress of getting the "ENGINE COOLANT LOW" warning. I've replaced the bottle, cap, sensor - I haven't replaced the overflow tank (doesn't look like it needs it anyways) and while I suppose I could replace the hoses that lead there I don't know what it would do. There don't seem to be any leaks (I'm not losing coolant).

I'm genuinely tempted to go shopping for another bottle to replace the main reservoir - but rather than one that holds maybe 2 pints I get one from a loving F250 or something. I'm also not sure if I'll gain anything out of posting this other than just venting but I don't have a therapist so if anyone wants to give me a hearty "there, there" I'll take that too.

Sorry if this seems stupid but is there a level marker on the overflow tank? I would expect to see like min/max levels on that and maybe you're a little low and when your thermostat is wide open the levels drop too much.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Sorry if this seems stupid but is there a level marker on the overflow tank? I would expect to see like min/max levels on that and maybe you're a little low and when your thermostat is wide open the levels drop too much.

So the reservoir (the one intended for typical access by the owner) is by the windshield, driver side, and is opaque black with no viewing/marker/transparency (which is part of why I hate the stupid thing). This is why it's considered "full" when the coolant is at the bottom of the filler neck.

The overflow tank is the one that requires removing the passenger front wheel and wheel arch lining - and while it is transparent, it has no markings.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

sarcastx posted:

So the reservoir (the one intended for typical access by the owner) is by the windshield, driver side, and is opaque black with no viewing/marker/transparency (which is part of why I hate the stupid thing). This is why it's considered "full" when the coolant is at the bottom of the filler neck.

The overflow tank is the one that requires removing the passenger front wheel and wheel arch lining - and while it is transparent, it has no markings.

Is there a cap on the radiator itself or just on that black tank?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

sarcastx posted:

Temps get above 210. Fans come on. ENGINE COOLANT LOW.

Several things at play here.
1. Have you tried considering the finest in British electrical systems in your car?
2. Sounds like a fucky ground somewhere when the fans are kicking on. Maybe block. Maybe chassis. Its a XK, probably all of them.
3. Test the level sender for high/low operation at both stone cold, 200F and 210F.
4. Chase and test the sender's wiring at the bcm/pcm at cold/hot operation.
4a. if you happen to find broken or intermittent open circuits, you're going harness spelunking. chafing or a dodgy crimp.
5. Check all return paths in the main body harness involving anything that touches the coolant level sender.

6. Use a VW B4 coolant bottle for improved reliability :v:
(Funny you mention one from a F250, I ran one in a P38 rangie for a few years with good success over the oem bmw piece of poo poo)

7 and maybe 8. That's in the year range for needing its camchains, tensioners, and guides updated.

VelociBacon posted:

Its British. the whole loving thing is black as an engine bay suffering from electrical fire. The electronics check the level for you! lmao.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

VelociBacon posted:

Just on the tank. I've also gone chasing for air bubbles doing this whole song and dance a couple times, if that helps.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

two_beer_bishes posted:

My wife asked me about what she should do if she's driving the horse trailer (2 axle trailer) and a tire blows out or loses pressure and I couldn't really say much other than "slow down". I told her that if she's driving with the trailer without horses, that she should keep driving (but slower at 50mph?) until there's a safe place to pull over or get off the highway to change tires. If she has horses in back, to slow down (30-40mph?) until she can safely stop or get off the highway.
Horses or not, if you have a blowout or have lost enough pressure that you can tell without actually measuring the correct answer is always to stop as soon as safely possible. This is something that I've found a lot of people who aren't car/machine people don't understand in the same way. I know a lot of people who would hear that and take it as "slow down but keep driving until it's convenient to stop" as opposed to the correct interpretation of "stop as soon as you can do so safely, only go on if you are on a bridge, in a construction zone, or otherwise do not have a safe place to stop on at all".

Motronic posted:

You already got good advice on how to drive, but to prevent the most likely cause of a blowout I really suggest a trailer TPMS system like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Tymate-Tire-...29302539&sr=8-3

I only recently found out these were a thing (and relatively inexpensive). Knowing these exist I would absolutely positively not run a trailer long distance without one. Especially a horse trailer.
I use this exact unit with my winter tires because it was a lot cheaper than another set of the factory sensors and it works wonderfully. The solar charging ability means that sitting on my dash it literally never needed to be plugged in, it just worked all winter.

TBH I'm considering getting a set of compatible in-wheel sensors installed next time I get new summer tires because this thing gives me temperature and actual per-tire pressure rather than just a stupid loving light telling me to go figure out which one's not right.

azflyboy posted:

Is there a substantial difference between H and V rated tires in normal driving? My car (a 2015 Mazda 3) came with V rated tires that need replacement, and one of the better reviewed sets of tires in the correct size is H rated.

Since I don't do anything more extreme than interstate driving, the car never gets above about 85mph, so I'd assume the speed rating doesn't matter, but I didn't know if there was some fundamental difference between the two that I'm overlooking.
The speed rating is nothing more than what it says it is. If you don't intend to drive between 130 and 149 MPH the V rating doesn't matter on its own.

Higher speed rated tires in general tend to be more performance-optimized but that is by no means a hard rule. There are certainly H rated tires that are better than V rated competitors in ways other than top speed capabilities.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

azflyboy posted:

I think the speed governor is just below H rating anyway, depending on your engine. If you ever sell the car, just put a sticker on the dash that says do not exceed 130mph :v:

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

That's basically right, but there's a crucial part - of a blowout occurs, you should accelerate slightly until you have control of the trailer. Then slowly back off to a point where you can pull over and evaluate. Don't brake until below 20 mph if it can be helped. This will help massively to avoid sudden changes in attitude from the trailer. The same principal applies when you're not towing, especially with vehicles with high sidewalls.

Thanks for that addition!

Motronic posted:

We do have one of those, I think I was actually the one who started that discussion a while ago. It works great and it's no nice being able to watch pressures/temps on longer drives.

wolrah posted:

Horses or not, if you have a blowout or have lost enough pressure that you can tell without actually measuring the correct answer is always to stop as soon as safely possible. This is something that I've found a lot of people who aren't car/machine people don't understand in the same way. I know a lot of people who would hear that and take it as "slow down but keep driving until it's convenient to stop" as opposed to the correct interpretation of "stop as soon as you can do so safely, only go on if you are on a bridge, in a construction zone, or otherwise do not have a safe place to stop on at all".

I appreciate you pointing this out. My wife does 99% of the hauling and this is very much something she's aware of. A bunch of construction on their normal route is was sparked this conversation between us. She's smart as gently caress and has good instincts, but neither of us have actually dealt with a blowout personally.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

wolrah posted:

The speed rating is nothing more than what it says it is. If you don't intend to drive between 130 and 149 MPH the V rating doesn't matter on its own.

Higher speed rated tires in general tend to be more performance-optimized but that is by no means a hard rule. There are certainly H rated tires that are better than V rated competitors in ways other than top speed capabilities.

Thanks a lot for the explanation.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What are the pros and cons of having roof rails? How painful would it be to remove/replace them later? We're buying a crossover and they aren't budging on price so we're asking them to throw in roof rails.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
They will causes additional NVH/wind noise and reduce your gas mileage to some extent.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Vegetable posted:

What are the pros and cons of having roof rails? How painful would it be to remove/replace them later? We're buying a crossover and they aren't budging on price so we're asking them to throw in roof rails.

Make/model makes a *big* difference; case in point: several Subarus come with built-in retractable roof rails, to which you attach your accessories. If they told you they'll give you the rails (but not the bars) then they're bragging about something you're getting for free anyways. For some cars they just fold out of the way, for others there's a specific size torx tool or weird proprietary key you need to use.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

wolrah posted:

I know a lot of people who would hear that and take it as "slow down but keep driving until it's convenient to stop" as opposed to the correct interpretation of "stop as soon as you can do so safely, only go on if you are on a bridge, in a construction zone, or otherwise do not have a safe place to stop on at all".

My mother :argh:.

She's called me, given a vague description that sounded like a check engine or oil light, said she had to be somewhere, and drove the car anyway.

(one of the doors wasn't fully closed and it was an open door light)

Thankfully she has a smartphone now and can text me a photo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

cursedshitbox posted:

Several things at play here.
1. Have you tried considering the finest in British electrical systems in your car?

Looks like I missed this post while I was replying to the other one (just saw it this morning).

Hadn't considered an electrical gremlin which - yeah, it's a Jaguar, but it's a Ford Jaguar so I figured this was less likely as 1990s Ford reliability was a remarkable step up for them. Will break out the multimeter this weekend.

quote:

6. Use a VW B4 coolant bottle for improved reliability :v:

(opens Google Images) OOOOOOOOH THAT LOOKS FANTASTIC.
edit: I will have to look at my options for sensing coolant level though - do you know if the VW sensor is electrically comparable, or if the existing Jag one fits?

quote:

7 and maybe 8. That's in the year range for needing its camchains, tensioners, and guides updated.

Been there, done that - had a mate's shop sort that out the first week that I had the car. Didn't have the mechanical cojones to try a job like that one at the time - and while I might try it today, I still don't have the proprietary tools used throughout the process. ALSO WHAT WOULD WE PUT TIMING MARKS ON THE ENGINE FOR? WHY WOULD YOU NEED TO TOUCH THE TIMING?

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 19, 2021