Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Looper posted:

no way, the jet ski races in rush adventure are rad

That’s the only one I haven’t played.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
I miss the Rush games. Real fun gameplay, and Blaze was was one of my favourite (and few likable) new characters of the modern era, and being basically sonic in gameplay made her actually fun to play, unlike... almost everyone else added to the series. So of course they had to make her an alternate universe and/or future world character (thanks Sonic '06 for loving that up!) so she'd barely get any opportunities to show up again in the mainline series. Very cool. No it's fine Sega, I love to see Charmy loving Bee in every Sonic game, he's great.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

Advance 2's special stages are dumb just for the entrance requirements alone. I never would have found all those special rings without a guide and having to grab them all in a single run is just stupid.

They were pretty fun once you actually got into them. I love games where you have to keep a multiplier going, it's why I loved Sonic Runners and Resident Evil's Mercenaries modes.

The real kicker was that you had to get all the chaos emeralds with each character to unlock everything. This included the Tiny Chao Garden, which in most other Sonic GBA games was available from the start.

After getting them with all characters you unlocked Amy, who was just a reskin of Sonic without moves like the air dash and homing attack. I got all the emblems with her too despite knowing it wouldn't unlock anything because when you're in that deep you might as well go all the way.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Blue sphere was awesome and I loved doing them as a kid but man, playing them in Mania just gave me a terrible headache now I'm all old and broken.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

finished up sonic cd + sonic 3 & k today & noticed somethin :cool:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/agAitcheson/status/1427046285710921729

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

This fills me with a sense of existential horror and I cannot explain why.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

This looks so awesome and terrible at the same time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

I'm just so happy that the SNES Speedy Gonzales hack is in there

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

can't wait to see this at GDQ

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Does it just hold dozens of game states at once? It looks like it's just cutting back to exactly where you left off in each game. I wonder if it pulls you to different levels when you beat any of them or if you've effectively got to beat all the Sonics in their entirety eventually. Excellent

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Electric Phantasm posted:

Advance 2's special stages are dumb just for the entrance requirements alone. I never would have found all those special rings without a guide and having to grab them all in a single run is just stupid.

While Adv2 is worse, I didn't like this aspect of Adv1 either - finding them isn't totally unreasonable, but it still kind of sucks, and having one shot is rough, particularly coming from Sonic 3&K where you can get multiple shots per stage.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1427616492166729735?s=19

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It wouldn’t surprise me if sega just made an official version of those hacks. They seem like the company who’d take a weird idea like that and make it into an official product.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Discendo Vox posted:

Do it, simon. Give us the Sonic 06 100% LP we deserve.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XbErpMLXEg

first steps taken though I can't promise anything...yet

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

just did all of sonic mania's blue sphere stages for the first time since launch and had a great time

whoever designed this stage, ya mom's a ho

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

beep by grandpa posted:

just did all of sonic mania's blue sphere stages for the first time since launch and had a great time

whoever designed this stage, ya mom's a ho

That's the one that took me the most attempts. gently caress that stage.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Took probably 10 attempts to figure out what the whole intended route was supposed to be, and maybe 10 more to actually execute it and get the Perfect. Got every gold emblem inside of one playthrough :tipshat:

Something I'm realizing this time through classic sonics & and especially sonic mania for whatever reason is how much input buffering has spoiled me over the years since Whew the vasssst majority of my hits & deaths are from being a frame or two early on a jump input :laugh:

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pants Donkey posted:

It wouldn’t surprise me if sega just made an official version of those hacks. They seem like the company who’d take a weird idea like that and make it into an official product.
I wish they (or someone) would make a version of the whitehead engine games where each act ends and can spit you into any other act within the compatible games. Just keep randomly blasting through levels, with the ability to turn some of them off I guess.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

https://twitter.com/johnny_gioeli/status/1428018287561089029

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Frankston posted:

Blue sphere was awesome and I loved doing them as a kid but man, playing them in Mania just gave me a terrible headache now I'm all old and broken.

The issue with them in mania is that bonus stages you can get many times and hit commonly should be short, and special stages you only need to complete seven of and are more spaced out should be longer. In mania they transplanted the long slog over to the constantly-appearing-short entry method and it screws up the flow a bit and very quickly you just hit the 'oh gently caress this' stage.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Blue Sphere would probably work ok as a Sonic 1 style end of act bonus, but with minibosses there's no room for anything else there.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Also, they aren’t really “bonus stages” in the traditional sense as they only unlock stuff in future games and offer little for your current playthrough besides…a continue? I can’t remember.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wM-IJ9xV8Y

this is really cute and i'm glad they got actual writers

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Haha what if they got tyson, ian, and ggdg to write the games lol. That wpuld be so crazy, lol.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

sharrrk posted:

Haha what if they got tyson, ian, and ggdg to write the games lol. That wpuld be so crazy, lol.

If GGDG was on the writing team Orbot would have been monologuing to nobody for an entire eighteen months

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I have definitely fully accepted Sonic back into my life after some Dark Times in my life where I didn't play his games for a while...and happy to say i am 100% back in and that I am definitely a better man for it now today :thaoldme:

As I said I went through the classics (1, 2, 3&K, CD, Mania) this week- I just beat Sonic Robo Blast 2, which I thought was great for the first half but I thought it got way, way too punishing with hazards/death traps towards the end, but maybe I'll enjoy it more on a replay sometime. I did play with a gamepad tho. Everyone thought Sonic games were hard their first time through right? Perhaps it'll grow on me more with time.

On a whim I just played about 20min of Sonic Lost World for the first time since launch and whew does this game feel much worse than I remember it being to play. Sonic Lost World makes me feel really sad because my goodness the production value is there in spades in level design and story sequences, and they were clearly very ambitious with this title and ideas, but good god has Sonic ever felt worse to control?

He just feels like you're moving in molasses and you have to hold a button the whole time, I don't trust my jumps and the movement feels very inconsistent...I forgot that while running full speed, turning him in an angle more than 45º just makes him lose 50% of his speed for absolutely no reason. Not sure if i'll continue this one, but it would be nice to get to that absolutely drop dead gorgeous underwater minecart stage again with the beautiful music. At this point I think I would genuinely enjoy Forces more than this.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

beep by grandpa posted:

On a whim I just played about 20min of Sonic Lost World for the first time since launch and whew does this game feel much worse than I remember it being to play. Sonic Lost World makes me feel really sad because my goodness the production value is there in spades in level design and story sequences, and they were clearly very ambitious with this title and ideas, but good god has Sonic ever felt worse to control?

He just feels like you're moving in molasses and you have to hold a button the whole time, I don't trust my jumps and the movement feels very inconsistent...I forgot that while running full speed, turning him in an angle more than 45º just makes him lose 50% of his speed for absolutely no reason. Not sure if i'll continue this one, but it would be nice to get to that absolutely drop dead gorgeous underwater minecart stage again with the beautiful music. At this point I think I would genuinely enjoy Forces more than this.

I don't think I've touched Lost World since the Nintendo themed courses came out or at least the months around launch

It's such a bummer because "we know that Sonic is about being slow sometimes, we know that parkour would be cool for Sonic, we're going to try this new thing" was so promising and then it was just the wettest of farts

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Beep being negative about a Sonic game feels... wrong.
It must be because Lost World is a Mario game.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Beep being negative about a Sonic game feels... wrong.
It must be because Lost World is a Mario game.

It's trying to be a real platformer like Super Mario Bros, DKC Tropical Freeze and Rayman Legends. Except instead of focusing on precise, intuitive controls and level design, we get knock-off Mario worlds and knock-off Koopalings.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

beep by grandpa posted:

I forgot that while running full speed, turning him in an angle more than 45º just makes him lose 50% of his speed for absolutely no reason.

This is massively underselling it. If you change his angle *at all* then he loses *all of his speed*.

Lost World controls like Sonic 4, where every part of the controls feels like it was programmed separately and never comes together into a cohesive whole.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

The difference is that Lost World does that intentionally, while Sonic 4 is just a bunch of programmers who didn’t know or care how Sonic games should play.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Use the drat spindash! Good bye

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The difference is that Lost World does that intentionally, while Sonic 4 is just a bunch of programmers who didn’t know or care how Sonic games should play.

How? They did make the Rush games, and all they needed was to move that to Sonic 4!

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Kikas posted:

How? They did make the Rush games, and all they needed was to move that to Sonic 4!

But that's literally what they did. Sonic 4 physics are the same as Rush.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Evil Eagle posted:

Use the drat spindash! Good bye

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also if you think lost world has bad controls then try the 3ds version

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Looper posted:

also if you think lost world has bad controls then try the 3ds version

Lost World 3DS has the best controls of any 3D Sonic game, by a large margin.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Stink Terios posted:

Lost World 3DS has the best controls of any 3D Sonic game, by a large margin.

I wouldn't go that far, but I actually did like the 3DS controls more than the Wii U versions. There's more you can do in the Wii U version when you get it right, but it's also a lot more finicky/touchy. That and I never really liked the Kick mechanic in the Wii U version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
3DS Lost World feels incredible to move around in which is why it's whole 2.5 good stages are such a goddamn shame.