Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Cythereal posted:

So I took it to mean it's a story about the Sentinels and the PC losing.

Ahh, gotcha. No, their origin story is sad as gently caress. As for good guys losing, mild spoiler not this time

I agree about the rest, no cool characters to meet in this zone. The only ones who somewhat qualify as a character at all are the priest and the djinn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i never jumped onto the reboot but i've always had it in the back of my head that i should try to play through TSW before it disappears from the world

if I just want a straightforward setup of gear and skills that'll let me power through all the content to see the puzzle and story stuff, what would people recommend doing

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

If you have a pre-reboot account, you start w/ all the weapons unlocked. Otherwise, you'll only have 2 unlocked based on the "class" you chose in character creation. If that's the case, pick any of the non-healer weapon combos (unless you really don't want to) and go to town. I've had the best luck w/ pistol primary and shotgun secondary.

Use this post - https://forums.funcom.com/t/how-to-build-all-weapons/881 - as a reference for what actives and passives to go for with the weapons you picked.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Welp I think this time travel mission is possibly the worst thing I've done so far in this game, holy gently caress this is bad.

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT
I barely remember that mission yet still have this visceral memory of it being awful and broken to the point where you had to do it in a very specific way or the whole thing broke; something to do with crafting an item I think? It's been a while since I've played, but the overall impression I have of the game's missions are just how uneven they are. Especially in the content added after release, for every Tyler Freeborn there's...well, that time travel thing. You get The Ankh and Polaris, but you also get that one Hell dungeon just to drag you back down again. Even the investigation missions can be like that, I remember most being diabolical but still possible to puzzle out but there were a few that felt like the designers came up with the solution first and then worked backwards so you had to make some extremely wild leaps of logic to even know how you're supposed to approach the puzzle, let alone solve it.

Still looking forward to replaying it soon, if it isn't finally shut down by the time I get around to it. I love the atmosphere, setting and (the majority of) the storytelling.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
All the dungeons are now only three people, right? So if I decided to see just how bad the re-release is I would only need two suckers, not four?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Dungeons are three people yeah, I thought they always were three?
I didn't realize they folded the old "issues" post release stuff into the main game as part of the story you have to do, that was a super bad idea. I was wondering why Unfair.co's guides seemed to be missing things.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Dungeons are 5 man for the level 50 elite versions in SWL but only 3 man for the story mode versions, which are largely soloable depending on your level and gear.

Judgement posted:

I barely remember that mission yet still have this visceral memory of it being awful and broken to the point where you had to do it in a very specific way or the whole thing broke; something to do with crafting an item I think? It's been a while since I've played, but the overall impression I have of the game's missions are just how uneven they are. Especially in the content added after release, for every Tyler Freeborn there's...well, that time travel thing. You get The Ankh and Polaris, but you also get that one Hell dungeon just to drag you back down again. Even the investigation missions can be like that, I remember most being diabolical but still possible to puzzle out but there were a few that felt like the designers came up with the solution first and then worked backwards so you had to make some extremely wild leaps of logic to even know how you're supposed to approach the puzzle, let alone solve it.

Still looking forward to replaying it soon, if it isn't finally shut down by the time I get around to it. I love the atmosphere, setting and (the majority of) the storytelling.
The crafting in the roman city time travel mission is notoriously janky and the mission in general is absolute piss of the "guards who one-shot you" variety. I can't think of any investigation missions that have the problem you describe though, my main complaint with them is once you reach Transylvania they gradually forgo puzzles in exchange for jpegs of text for you to retype into google translate - the worst of which is the one in Kaidan where the intent is that you do origami to work out where the next clue is but it also requires you to translate from Japanese, which (aside from being a ballache to do with google) renders the origami pointless because you don't need to create a full sentence when you see the words for "tree", "glowing" and "loving massive" and guess the next location :v:

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

The crafting in the time travel missions uses the actual crafting system from the first version of the game. You used to create your weapon and armor talismans by arranging loot drops in specific patterns on the crafting grid. The biker and the fortuneteller in the first zone had books with the patterns. You could also make gadgets and health potions.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Yeah but the version in the time travel mission regularly eats the parts or just flat out refuses to combine :v:

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC
The first, first version of crafting had the exact same bugs with numerous items depending on what order you put parts in or if you removed and replaced them. It had a bunch of amusing bugs such as infinite material dupes, broken materials that could never be used to craft anything (or be deleted), and just general terribleness. There were lair bosses that had pieces that wouldn’t combine or drop and all kinds of poo poo.

It wasn’t a particularly unique idea for a system since it was a blatant Minecraft (and dozens of other games) ripoff but they also did nothing with it. Maybe it would have made more sense if you could swap some parts out to alter stats of items or if there were multiple rarities of mats. Nah, just a list of basic recipes you had to figure out. When they put the potions in during, those were “secret” for a minute but it took about five minutes after the patch for us to figure out the handful of combinations.

Like all things secret world, it was a half-assed idea implemented poorly that lived up to 0 of its potential. I’ve always wondered how many developers the game actually had because I only interacted with 5 or so during beta and they were mostly fantastic people and good at their jobs. I just assume there were the only 5 people actually working on the game.

Saltpowered fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 14, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

what was the aux weapon that was incredibly useless but had a PBR can as part of the skin? because that was great

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I remember the original crafting system being interesting for a hot second, until you realized you needed to endlessly refine piled of mats for higher level gear.
Holy gently caress I hate this "Power up the Eye of Horus" mission, its such a steaming pile.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Len posted:

what was the aux weapon that was incredibly useless but had a PBR can as part of the skin? because that was great

I think that was the Quantum Brace

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

FrostyPox posted:

I think that was the Quantum Brace

Yeah that was the name! It never fit my playstyle so useless may be incorrect. I was also a fan of chainsaw for that sweet sweet threat

I miss my laser chainsaw

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Len posted:

Yeah that was the name! It never fit my playstyle so useless may be incorrect. I was also a fan of chainsaw for that sweet sweet threat

I miss my laser chainsaw

I don't remember the Quantum Brace that well. IIRC I used the Rocket Launcher since I was focused on huge fuckin' damage (where possible)

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
IIRC the quantum brace mostly had skills for heaing / support, you didn't use it over the other aux weapons with damage or movement effects. I liked the look of it but didn't use it much, the other aux weapons (rocket launcher, chainsaw, flamethrower, whip) were better for DPS and tanking or even just general use.

orcane fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 15, 2021

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I think I only had the quantum brace and the whip and quantum brace was for me "that one button I press sometimes when I remember it exists". The best thing that the brace was capable of is that it was usable in that bar in London where they held fashion shows. It did nothing other than the visual effect but I could fire a bolt of plasma at models I liked or didn't like.

E: Also, if newbies feel they absolutely must splurge aurum on something other than sprint/inventory space - Orochi stealth hoverboard is one actually useful cosmetic item, you can also do kickflip on it.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 16, 2021

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Is the server for Secret World classic still up, or is it just Secret World Legends since the Tencent buyout?

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I didnt see the download link on my old Funcom account.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Couldn't find a link on the SWL site, but I googled it and found it

http://cdn.funcom.com/downloads/tsw/client/TheSecretWorldInstaller.exe

Looks like it can still be downloaded.

E: Checking if the server is actually still up now.

EE: It is downloading/patching. This might take a while but the Server Status says Online so it's still playable I'd assume!

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Aug 18, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

you log in here

https://register.thesecretworld.com/account

and then it just has a download client link

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Lifetime Membership

:laffo:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Lifetime Membership

:laffo:

:same:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

NGL while I don't regret not buying a lifetime sub, I would not have regretted buying one, either.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Man you know what one my favorite real subtle nods is?

The Varangian being one of the bosses in Polaris but also the guy that saves you with Excalibur during Darkness War.

rip good buddy

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ok, that's cool. I never converted my account over to Secret World Legends, nice to see there is still a download option for it/at least one server still running Secret World classic.

Furthest I ever got in Secret World was parts of zone 1 egypt & the very closest bits of zone 1 transylvanian with max level Solomon Island gear because I just burned out on the Loki boss fight after repeated attempts.

In retrospect the various deck builds I used to get to Loki wasn't the build I should have used to fight him, and my tactic of focusing on him versus his clones and summons are what doomed me to eternal failure. Might just redownload Secret World classic and see if I can make more progress this time.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Unless you're going to use the Blood elite + Fist passive combo to waltz through the game (except for building up AEGIS levels in Tokyo and god help you if the auto-switch mod isn't available anymore), there's not really any reason to play the old version.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 18, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I never did the Tokyo dungeons but I don't care enough to mess with AEGIS

What a steamy piece of poo poo

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I kinda prefer the old skills etc. setup and I really disliked playing some of the DLC chapters so having those integrated into the story would put me right off.

Of course, that would require there actually being other people to play with.

E: But what you're REALLY going to miss in the classic version is the endless golem events they were running in the last year(s) before the switch to TSL :v:

orcane fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Aug 18, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Pubs used to get so mad at leechers that weren't helping fight but I got single digit frames during those so it's not like I could do much.

So I'd tag the thing then go to stuff around the zone until I got loot

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

Unless you're going to use the Blood elite + Fist passive combo to waltz through the game (except for building up AEGIS levels in Tokyo and god help you if the auto-switch mod isn't available anymore), there's not really any reason to play the old version.

This is extremely cool because I never bought the Tokyo expansions and therefore will never experience the pain of AEGIS combat unless I convert my account over to Secret World Legends. Same thing goes for missing out on the Golden Giant Golem events, I never bothered engaging them and merrily ran the hell away from them like Sir Robin from the Monty Python movies.

Thanks for all the feedback on SW-Classic vs SWL folks.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Tokyo doesn't have the AEGIS system in SWL, you're patting yourself on the back for avoiding a problem that doesn't exist. There's still a mission where the enemies have the shields, but it's sort of a tower defense mission and the towers negate the shields.

Why are you so keen on playing the version where you can't even finish the story arc because you don't have Tokyo?

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 19, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Wait, if you didn't buy Tokyo when TSW was current you can't play it on the old-school server? Booooooo

EDIT: apparently I am wrong, I just logged in to the old school server and got a mission from Kiersten which appears to be the prelude to Tokyo.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Aug 19, 2021

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Huh when I logged into my old Secret World account I dont have the classic download link, but I definetly bought the original game.
EDIT: Oh derp I think I had the wrong account.

DreadUnknown fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Aug 19, 2021

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

Why are you so keen on playing the version where you can't even finish the story arc because you don't have Tokyo?

Curiosity mostly.
Apathy/sunk cost factor too. I never did the legacy transfer for Legends and would have to start from zero again.
And of course I can't rule out that not jumping into Secret World Legends asap vs trying out TSW classic seems to aggravate you on some level.

Exploring the zones I had access to in TSW, stumbling across new side missions and NPC's in those zones was always more engaging than progressing the meta-plot or doing dungeon raids in TSW to me; which was why I never completed the story arc in Solomon Island or bought Tokyo in-game. Curious if classic TSW mode still works, curious what will work in classic, curious if the utter lack of players in classic mode will reinforce the spookiness and the "this would have been a fantastic single player game" vibe The Secret World always exuded.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

Curiosity mostly.
Apathy/sunk cost factor too. I never did the legacy transfer for Legends and would have to start from zero again.
And of course I can't rule out that not jumping into Secret World Legends asap vs trying out TSW classic seems to aggravate you on some level.

Exploring the zones I had access to in TSW, stumbling across new side missions and NPC's in those zones was always more engaging than progressing the meta-plot or doing dungeon raids in TSW to me; which was why I never completed the story arc in Solomon Island or bought Tokyo in-game. Curious if classic TSW mode still works, curious what will work in classic, curious if the utter lack of players in classic mode will reinforce the spookiness and the "this would have been a fantastic single player game" vibe The Secret World always exuded.

Lack of players is now by design in SWL, I think they limited it to 5 or 6 players per instance, so you'll barely see anyone in the zone and lots of players in Agartha. As for side missions vs plot, the indended way to play is to do all of side missions AND plot, which is what I did anyway. In any case SWL received more support and updates, which is something to consider.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I nessed around a bit on the classic server, the origiinal game feels way more stable to me for sone reason. I noticed that apparently most of the cosmetic clothes did make the transition, but the stuff I bought from ingame vendors didnt stay attached to my account. Just achievement or special rewards for quests.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Tried out Secret World classic, it wasn't bad and I actually enjoyed it.
I had been away for so long that A) Funcom had wiped the names of my characters so I had to makeup some new sobriquets on-the-fly and B) there a lot of new content I never saw or heard of before (everything about Museum of the Occult for example).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

quantumfoam posted:

Tried out Secret World classic, it wasn't bad and I actually enjoyed it.
I had been away for so long that A) Funcom had wiped the names of my characters so I had to makeup some new sobriquets on-the-fly and B) there a lot of new content I never saw or heard of before (everything about Museum of the Occult for example).

Museum is an end game activity for players who done everything else and can't think of what else to do. I personally loved the game so much I actually enjoyed re-running everything from the start in SWL but obviously YMMV

E: actually knowing what I knew from TSW classic and running into Che and Morninglight in the first zone put things in very different perspective