Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

criterion KOLLEKTION

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Colonel Whitey posted:

I’ve never seen the Once Upon A Time in China movies, are they worth a blind buy? I love good martial arts stuff but I’ve only really seen Jet Li’s American stuff, sadly.

The first three are, absolutely. I haven’t seen the Vincent Zhao films yet.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

What if it was the cockatoo shot but there’s a K inside the eye

It's a little shoddy cuz I'm on Photopea at work.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
missed opportunity to have the cover be 4 Ks

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Franchescanado posted:

Perfect

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/Lauzirika/status/1427356417518972943?s=19

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I don’t give a single poo poo about Kane, but that “bad” poster is unironically a million times better than yet another low-effort minimalist take.

Not that it matters either way, every dork arguing about it is still going to shell out $30 for it during the first sale it’s available.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/not_a_heather/status/1427329214705963008?s=19

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

it looks like a previous track button to me

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Franchescanado posted:

this and make it holographic/lenticular so when you wiggle the box the bird yells at you

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

fun hater posted:

this and make it holographic/lenticular so when you wiggle the box the bird yells at you

Make it like the talking greeting cards and have it squawk at you when you open the case

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Liar Lyre posted:

Make it like the talking greeting cards and have it squawk at you when you open the case

it should be like a 1/64th chance so it scares the absolute poo poo out of you when it happens

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I'm happy for Menace II Society

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Dangerous Person posted:

I'm happy for Menace II Society

It's a Sister Hyde design, and it looks great:

https://twitter.com/HydeSister/status/1427318040476065812?s=20

She's been doing such great design work across so many labels lately. She's also doing the Fassbinder box set for Arrow:

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1421109114529275913?s=20

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Aug 16, 2021

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

smallmouth posted:

I watched Fat City last night. It was good. At the very end the main character has an epiphany as he looks at two tables of people playing cards. I was wondering if anyone had comments on what this epiphany was?

The way I understand it, looking at the crowded tables instills him with a profound sense of loneliness. Only at that point does he fully realise how cut off he feels from everyone else.

Immediately afterwards, his friend prepares to leave and he desperately asks him to stay. At that point, the film closes by repeating a part of the opening song, specifically the following stanza:

quote:

Yesterday is dead and gone
And tomorrow's out of sight
And it's sad to be alone
Help me make it through the night

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

drat Hearts and Minds is really good.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Samuel Clemens posted:

The way I understand it, looking at the crowded tables instills him with a profound sense of loneliness. Only at that point does he fully realise how cut off he feels from everyone else.

Immediately afterwards, his friend prepares to leave and he desperately asks him to stay. At that point, the film closes by repeating a part of the opening song, specifically the following stanza:

I think that makes sense, thanks. Susan Tyrrell was fantastic.

I watched Asphalt Jungle last night. It was pretty bad. Monroe is an absolute stunner.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

smallmouth posted:

I think that makes sense, thanks. Susan Tyrrell was fantastic.

I watched Asphalt Jungle last night. It was pretty bad. Monroe is an absolute stunner.

Power Glove bad or Michael Jackson bad?

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Cacator posted:

Power Glove bad or Michael Jackson bad?

Power Glove. I didn’t enjoy it, at least. A lot of scenes were slow moving and too explainy—overall it was dull.

Edit: looking at IMDb reviews my take is edgy as hell. I dunno, I just found it boring.

smallmouth fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 17, 2021

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Dope. Now I'm extra excited

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'm not ordinarily one to complain about cover art, but I've gotta say that Citizen Kane art is abysmal. I've been trying really hard to find ways to defend it, but I just can't. This is arguably one of Criterion's most important releases of all time, yet they make the laziest art they could have possibly come up with.

And yes I'll buy it. Duh.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think my bigger issue with the Citizen Kane art is that it's a really bad representation of a film that's still misunderstood all the time, arguably growing more misunderstood.

This was posted in the Physical Thread when people were discussing CK's design as well:

CelticPredator posted:

This thread is filled with too much arty films. Where’s my moderately known genre films

And nothing against CP, and it might not be directed entirely at Citizen Kane talk, but this is a pretty common thing with Citizen Kane. I didn't watch it until I was, like, 26 years old cuz I thought it would be dry and boring.

And it's not. It's a drama, a character study, but it's also funny, charming, depressing, the characters are frustrating in compelling ways, it has weird jump scares, dancing, wonderful performances, great cinematography. It's a good, fun movie. Which is almost always left out of the conversation with the film, because everyone wants to discuss how "important" it is. Imagine if we did the same thing about, say, Jaws, and only talked about how important of a movie it is, and never once described it for it's elements--fun, adventurous, scary, funny, weird, and surprisingly bloody.

So when I see the "K" cover, I can only think about how it has a made a movie that is regularly unseen because it sounds uncompelling, or dry, or boring, and has marked it with a cover that is dry, minimal, and uncompelling, based entirely around typography that is only really iconic to someone who's actually seen the movie. And at that, others have posted that there are other interesting K's in the film besides the one from the title card. So it's a fumble.

It's just really weird, especially since Criterion's been doing arguably more interesting presentations of films in the past two or three years. I looked up the artist behind it, and he does interesting collage pieces, often not based around typography. I just don't really understand this design.

Like, why not a collage of Kane at various ages, or at various iconic poses, in an interesting layout? Why not a design around the snow globe? Why not a design around the theater scene? Instead, it is a minimal design that many are calling lazy and uninspired, and I can't help but think a new film fan passing up on watching Citizen Kane because the box art makes it look like the cinematic equivalent of homework, a reputation it's been struggling to shake (in my world view) for decades now.

edit: I actually like typography-based art, too, so really this should be working a lot more for me.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 17, 2021

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
it should have a lenticular cover of Welles clapping

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

In the past Criterion has adjusted cover art over the backlash from fans (I believe Some Like it Hot was one of them). I wonder if this might happen with Citizen Kane.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

gey muckle mowser posted:

it should have a lenticular cover of Welles clapping

Colonel Whitey posted:

The cover should be a little LED screen with the gif of Kane clapping

:hmmyes:

Colonel Whitey fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Aug 17, 2021

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I think part of what goes on with Citizen Kane is that it was critics and cinephiles who resurrected it and elevated it to the status it has today. In the 40s it kinda just came and went, it was a well liked film that was nominated for some awards but it wasn't some sort of game-changer where it took the film world by storm and everyone could remember the first time they saw Citizen Kane.

It took time for the film to be properly evaluated and it's importance understood and so a lot of that was film nerds who were appreciating the technical aspects of the film, the things that feels stuffy and boring to a lot of people. It's just a different dynamic than what we had with something like Jaws or Star Wars where there was this pop culture phenomenon that cut across demographics and appealed to such a wide range of people. The rise of Citizen Kane as the consensus #1 film of all time(until 2012 when Vertigo took the title) was more of a discussion happening in film circles and not so much with regular people who get bored to tears hearing about framing and lighting and narrative structure and all that.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 17, 2021

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

And the inevitable problem that causes is when non-cinephile people finally watch it for the first time with its reputation of "the best movie of all time" in their minds, it's bound to disappoint to some degree.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Spatulater bro! posted:

In the past Criterion has adjusted cover art over the backlash from fans (I believe Some Like it Hot was one of them). I wonder if this might happen with Citizen Kane.

drat I like the original one better. More movies should use giantess fetish photoshops as official coverart.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

And the inevitable problem that causes is when non-cinephile people finally watch it for the first time with its reputation of "the best movie of all time" in their minds, it's bound to disappoint to some degree.

And making a self-important "K" typography design is just continuing that.

My point is, it was an opportunity to change the perspective on the film away from how it's defined by current pop culture as "important" to also include it as "fun, dramatic and interesting", and instead they leaned into it with a lazy, kind of haughty design.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Oops didn't see your post. great minds etc

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

A lot of black & white/foreign film has a reputation as being for joyless stick in the muds. I think Citizen Kane being trumpeted out to declare every video game or comic book or whatever as the serious important work of art also cemented that reputation, or is at least a symptom of that.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

drat I like the original one better. More movies should use giantess fetish photoshops as official coverart.

To be fair, that probably works better for Marilyn Monroe than Orson Welles.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Spatulater bro! posted:

I'm not ordinarily one to complain about cover art, but I've gotta say that Citizen Kane art is abysmal.

It's real bad.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

still better than the Election cover

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

I'm hoping they come around on changing it like they did with the cover for The Makioka Sisters (even though the original cover for that one wasn't too bad).

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

What was the original cover for that?

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Samuel Clemens posted:

What was the original cover for that?

Had to go looking but I believe it was this...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Macrame_God posted:

within the cultural context i have absolutely no problem with that cover

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Macrame_God posted:

That just looks like the cover to a Haruki Murakami novel.