Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

Also who are these people storing AFFO vertically?

Your side storage crimes will not be forgiven, Jedit.

I'm impressed at you guys who can close your Feast box with expansion materials shoved in. I've culled boards and done what I can but I still cannot get a clean close. This is why we need the Legendary Feast Box™ as soon as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Morpheus posted:

Of course someone brings up abortion because why not.

Man, it has been a grip since I dipped into this thread, this pandemic has absolutely devastated any and all board game stuff in my life. Now every time I see a new board game or kickstarter that I'd want I think about when I'd actually be able to play it and start to feel down as a result.

On the plus side, did get to visit my partner's family (all vaxxed) and we got to play some Stay Cool, which I found in stock just a few days before online. Was fun, just as chaotic and enjoyably stressful as I thought it'd be. Looking forward to bringing that one to a party sometime in the distant future.

That comment was moderated because I didn't see it. Wow. Why not bring up gay marriage while you're at it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FulsomFrank posted:

Your side storage crimes will not be forgiven, Jedit.

I'm impressed at you guys who can close your Feast box with expansion materials shoved in. I've culled boards and done what I can but I still cannot get a clean close. This is why we need the Legendary Feast Box™ as soon as possible.

That's the shelf I've got. And it's better than vertical stacking, which I avoid where possible as you have to order everything by weight and put everything back just as it was when you're done with the game.

Somewhere in this thread I posted a detailed photo guide of how to store AFfO, The Norwegians and the two mini-expansions in the base game box. You do have to cull the base game action board, but since you'll never use it again that's no loss.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Jedit posted:

Also who are these people storing AFFO vertically?

I can't help but feel that there's a slight bend to that shelf and, whether real or perceived, it's giving me anxiety.

Also if you store the games vertically in a kallax there's no room to cram the empty expansion boxes in the back.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Aeon's End questions again...

So I picked up AE:Legacy a little while ago. I think my wife and I are close to done with it (only one unopened nemesis, but Legacy deck is still sort of thick, so I think we have to refight some of the nemeses at their tougher starting powers), so I'm looking at the next step.

I rmemembrr seeing somewhere that AE:L was compatible with other AE set(s). Any guidance as to which set(s) are compatible and/ or which are the best to get? Figured I'd check the goon consensus before I looked through BGG.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Admiralty Flag posted:

Aeon's End questions again...

So I picked up AE:Legacy a little while ago. I think my wife and I are close to done with it (only one unopened nemesis, but Legacy deck is still sort of thick, so I think we have to refight some of the nemeses at their tougher starting powers), so I'm looking at the next step.

I rmemembrr seeing somewhere that AE:L was compatible with other AE set(s). Any guidance as to which set(s) are compatible and/ or which are the best to get? Figured I'd check the goon consensus before I looked through BGG.

It's all cross compatible. It released in "waves" with a core box and two expansions, so each wave may be the most internally consistent. But ultimately it's all compatible.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
If you want to follow the story, New Age --> Into the Wilds --> Outcasts --> (upcoming legacy) Legacy of Gravehold is the sequence after Aeon's End Legacy.

Aeon's Base and War Eternal are the prequels, but aside from some lore thrown here and there, there is no main narrative.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Morpheus posted:

I can't help but feel that there's a slight bend to that shelf and, whether real or perceived, it's giving me anxiety.

I checked with a steel straight edge for your peace of mind and there is a slight curve, but it's about a 1mm dip across 450mm. The picture was taken at about 20 degrees off straight, which will have caused the most of it.

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Ra is currently out of print, but the boardgamegeek store is selling upgraded components for it. Would it be scummy to buy the premium pieces and then just proxy the rest of the components? The game has been in and out of print for decades by this point, so it's not as if it's permanently out of print but I'd potentially be waiting for years for a product at an equivalent price point with lower quality components.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
How would that be scummy?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Not scummy, especially given the limbo of Knizia licenses in NA right now.

It is in print now though, from Dicetree in Korea. I have their Winner's Circle and it's great, as is their Modern Art.

http://dicetreegames.com/home/product_ra.html

Their titles usually show up on Amazon off and on, and I think you can order directly from them.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Painted up my first figure from Bill and Ted's Riff in Time. I went with Charlemagne first, because I'm still relearning how to paint and if I get him wrong... well, he's from the first draft of the script only so it's not anyone can tut that he doesn't look like he did in the movie. Really nice figures, will be fun to paint them all once it stops taking me so long (omg so, so long) to finish each one.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Parkingtigers posted:

Painted up my first figure from Bill and Ted's Riff in Time. I went with Charlemagne first, because I'm still relearning how to paint and if I get him wrong... well, he's from the first draft of the script only so it's not anyone can tut that he doesn't look like he did in the movie. Really nice figures, will be fun to paint them all once it stops taking me so long (omg so, so long) to finish each one.

poo poo, that's nice. I only have one set of minis that I'd want to paint, those from Tim Fowers' Sabotage, and they're just solid colors but even then I don't trust my skills to do them justice, especially to this degree.

Street Horrrsing posted:

Ra is currently out of print, but the boardgamegeek store is selling upgraded components for it. Would it be scummy to buy the premium pieces and then just proxy the rest of the components? The game has been in and out of print for decades by this point, so it's not as if it's permanently out of print but I'd potentially be waiting for years for a product at an equivalent price point with lower quality components.

Its not scummy if a) it's out of print and b) you're planning to get it when you can. I proxied The Crew for a bit before I could find a copy of it, and that's just a couple decks of cards and paper tokens.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Man, I remembered this cool Roman-themed board game I used to play with friends 10-15 years ago. It was called Tribune. I wonder if I can find a copy anywhere?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

There's a new version that's out, not sure how hard it would be to get a copy since it was kickstarter and is it even fulfilling yet?

But yeah that's your best bet.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

silvergoose posted:

There's a new version that's out, not sure how hard it would be to get a copy since it was kickstarter and is it even fulfilling yet?

But yeah that's your best bet.

I'm sad I missed that but glad it's back.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

A couple somewhat prominent boardgame podcasts have people who adore the game, fwiw, it's definitely not one that's been lost to time.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

silvergoose posted:

A couple somewhat prominent boardgame podcasts have people who adore the game, fwiw, it's definitely not one that's been lost to time.

No but it's lost to online sellers for sure.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Street Horrrsing posted:

I thought Ra was part of the fancy FFG reprints that were everywhere? Or are you saying T&E, Samurai, Y&Y, TM etc. are all lost to the lawyers and scalpers right now too?

I've got the old versions of Ra and Taj Mahal that weren't exactly lookers.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Asmodee killed off the Knizia classics line earlier this year.

https://zmangames.com/en/news/2021/3/15/ode-euro-classics/

Featuring this gem of stupidity

quote:

Alternatively, if you do attempt to re-release a game via traditional distribution channels, then you need to pray that any number of witty UK board game influencers take notice and give you coverage. Those folks hold massive sway over the current industry’s focus, and without a ringing endorsement poshly articulated in the Queen’s English (“Best Euro Ever” anyone?), your revised labor of love is headed for a Miniature Market fire sale.

Which is so funny because SUSD have glowed over T&E and TTD a number of times.

Bottom Liner fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Aug 18, 2021

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Really want that tiny epic samurai instead of the giant TTR box

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Didn't Knizia say on Twitter that he ended the relationship, because they weren't honouring their commitments, which I understood to mean paying royalties on time?
Though I dimly recall that was about Grail Games, rather than Final Flight Games.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

That was Grail and Matagot.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

FulsomFrank posted:

Do the 18xx veterans here have any thoughts on 18NewEngland? Just curious if anyone has experience with it or where it might fit in. Seems similar to 1846/1861/67 and therefore maybe a bit redundant if I've already those?

I’ve played it three times, it’s okay? I would prefer the mentioned 61/67 over it 100%, New England is a bit too simplistic to the point it’s hard to recommend.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Bottom Liner posted:

Lol is that seriously a bitch about 'Shut up and Sit Down weren't nice enough about our games and so we can't sell them'? And calling SU&SD posh is a bit weird as well.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Yes, that is exactly what it is.

Wheeler W Wetherby
Sep 30, 2004

• Has an O-level in camel-hygiene
  • Can count up to 4

Bottom Liner posted:

SUSD has a video on the very top of their page where Quinns shows that his personal collection has a cubby and a half in the top left of a Kallax specifically for holding the Knizia classics. :psyduck:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

He's actually cutting ties with a ton of different companies.

He terminated contracts with Grail Games, Matagot and Kolossal Games
https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/knizia-games-terminates-releases

Feeling this is less a publisher doing the wrong thing, and more a Knizia being weird thing?

------------------------------

Speaking of Grail Games, they just showed off the PPC of Fjords.

Gonna love having the grail logo on its side, as vertical is the correct way to store games.

-------------------------------

Speaking of PPCs, :v:, Blood on the Clocktower finally got theirs and showed off a few shots. Professional shots to come soon.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pandemoniuminstitute/blood-on-the-clocktower/posts/3277595

Preeeeeeetttttyyy sure I'm gonna end up grabbing this, as my friends groups have played a half dozen or so rounds of this virtually.

meatbag
Apr 2, 2007
Clapping Larry
Does anyone have a recommendation for a 6p legacy game? 5 friends and me are going to a cabin for a weekend and looking to spend most of that time board gaming. We did it previously with Betrayal Legacy and enjoyed it. All of us are pretty dedicated board gamers. We were planning on playing Charterstone, but seems like the thread thinks it's crap?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

He's actually cutting ties with a ton of different companies.

He terminated contracts with Grail Games, Matagot and Kolossal Games
https://www.dicebreaker.com/categories/board-game/news/knizia-games-terminates-releases

Feeling this is less a publisher doing the wrong thing, and more a Knizia being weird thing?

From what I've heard, all three are somehow related in some sort of corporate relationship way? Not exactly sure how. Except Grail, I don't think it's yet known for sure why this is happening, but the inference everyone is making is because they were all somehow violating the contracts with which they agreed.

Of course, the purpose for that is to protect the other international business partners that have licensed games from him to sell in their own markets. If publisher A pays you to sell something in Japan, and publisher B wants to publish in Australia and New Zealand, it's important that they don't also sell in Japan since that devalues the contract with the first publisher. This makes everyone less likely to license from you.

I am 100% on Knizia's side on this one. If the publishers didn't like the terms they agreed to, they shouldn't have made the agreement or looked into getting it amended when situations change. They also absolutely should not have pretended that they were the ones who decided to end the contract, especially not by implying that they were selling poorly or were immature or whatever. They should have simply kept mum on it. Still, once you publicly lie about what went down, there was absolutely no way that Knizia was going to take that lying down; maybe you can get away with that from someone who's a small time designer or something, but not a famous well-off well-regarded fully established titan in the industry.

Like, ZMan complaining about SUSD is wicked dumb, but they did not have a contract with Quinns that said, "you will only love our games, pinky swear". This looks from the outside as a massive unforced error on Grail's part.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Also lol at the idea that Quinns isn't at least a bit posh. Admittedly it is strange for a publisher to be talking about it, though.

CaptainApathyUK fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 19, 2021

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Every SUSD is posh. You can go posher, but they're definitely posh.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

meatbag posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a 6p legacy game? 5 friends and me are going to a cabin for a weekend and looking to spend most of that time board gaming. We did it previously with Betrayal Legacy and enjoyed it. All of us are pretty dedicated board gamers. We were planning on playing Charterstone, but seems like the thread thinks it's crap?

The impression around my circle is that Charterstone is just fine, only not a gamers' game. And so, from your description of your group, probably not for you.

Pandemic Legacy is the obvious choice, especially at the numbers you suggest. Failing that, I was surprised that several of my more serious gaming friends were really into Risk Legacy. Oath and Clank Legacy might be a good choices as well.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

nonathlon posted:

Pandemic Legacy is the obvious choice, especially at the numbers you suggest.

Pandemic for 6p?

Edit: I can't think of any fun 6p legacy games. 6p is a slog unless you're playing a game designed for it, like Dune or Sidereal Confluence or something.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

6p Oath?

Magnetic North posted:

I am 100% on Knizia's side on this one.

This is likely what the outcome is, it's just super weird he's doing it to a laundry list of publishers at the same time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

A 6p game of Oath would be a sight to behold. That game's chancellor will have their work cut out for them.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

PerniciousKnid posted:

Pandemic for 6p?

Edit: I can't think of any fun 6p legacy games. 6p is a slog unless you're playing a game designed for it, like Dune or Sidereal Confluence or something.

I thought it did 6 (and was one of the few that did 6) but checking BGG, I was badly off-course. Suppose you could do 6 people control 4 characters but ...

Checking BGG again, 6p is a big ask for most legacy games. Unsure what the possibilities are if any.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
To me, "Legacy" implies "epic", and I think there are several 6p games that are epic without needing legacy elements.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

meatbag posted:

Don't do Charterstone unless you have a group that won't care that the game itself sucks. If people just want a bag of box of cracker jacks that has prizes at the bottom every time, this might be fine, but I am not kidding when I say the game is Not Good.

Like others have said, honestly, you're better off just doing a bigger game with a higher time commitment but has tremendous gameplay and story beats built into the experience itself. Something like Civ/Adv Civ/Mega Civ/Western Empires might fit that. Tons of interaction and great moments.

But if you're looking for quick, big, legacy games I don't know what to say. We've enjoyed Pandemic Legacy and My City but nothing at 6.

Bellmaker posted:

I’ve played it three times, it’s okay? I would prefer the mentioned 61/67 over it 100%, New England is a bit too simplistic to the point it’s hard to recommend.

Thanks for this. I'll stick with what I've got then. Really appreciate people like yourself with experience letting me know about these because they aren't cheap or quick to arrive and I don't want to get ones that aren't good or have been done better by other releases.

FulsomFrank fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 19, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Play Gloomhaven 6 handed house ruled by just using the 4p scenario set up