Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Napoleon posted:

Aweome, I have my neighbor's capital under siege, got my bombards in position around it and then blizzards pops up and destroys half of my army in 2 turns cause the terrain is too hilly to move them out of the path

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Hitler posted:

Aweome, I have my neighbor's capital under siege, got my bombards in position around it and then blizzards pops up and destroys half of my army in 2 turns cause the terrain is too hilly to move them out of the path

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Another gaming experience ruined by blizzard, how unlikely

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

The Glumslinger posted:

Don't start a land war in Asia

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Marmaduke! posted:

:holymoley:

But yes. If real history has served us well, it's that Asia as a whole is an inconquerable land.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Marmaduke! posted:

:perfect:

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Marmaduke! posted:

:master:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo
Hey I’m playing this on ps4. What’s the best way to take cities on diety?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Early on, usually battering ram with melee and archers, then siege units sort of become better as you go on, and then finally bombers are way better than any land unit

Catapults really aren't bad per se but it's usually that you can start building warriors right away and upgrade them and instantly have swordsmen vs when you get engineering now you have to wait to build catapults and they are very costly

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Stefan Prodan posted:

Early on, usually battering ram with melee and archers, then siege units sort of become better as you go on, and then finally bombers are way better than any land unit

Catapults really aren't bad per se but it's usually that you can start building warriors right away and upgrade them and instantly have swordsmen vs when you get engineering now you have to wait to build catapults and they are very costly

How many units of what type would you do for a typical city hit? Battering rams are something I definitely ignored.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

TheWeedNumber posted:

How many units of what type would you do for a typical city hit? Battering rams are something I definitely ignored.

Yeah battering rams make it way easier and you may be scared because you will look at the preview and go "this didn't matter at all that I brought one!" but what happens is the melees now hit the green HP bar of the city directly instead of the blue wall bar and so even though the first guy will get owned, the second guy will get owned a decent bit less, and the 3rd and 4th guys way less etc

I would say if you aren't too out teched and have a couple archers hitting the town also you should be able to take it with like 4 melees and 2 archers (that also gives you enough to surround the city and give it the little siege shield icon which means it doesn't heal), and you'll probably lose one unit in the process from wall hits. It's also easier if there's farms there to pillage.

Don't hold me to those numbers though if they aren't right, I never really thought about exactly how many it might take and it depends a lot on small # differences between the city strength and your dudes, and other bonuses/penalties like intel, civ bonuses, etc.

Also I guess I assumed the question implied walled cities cause if they aren't walled then uhh just use whatever you want haha

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

A melee carpet works great vs ancient walls. The siege tower is also okay as it just goes directly to the city and ignores the walls but you absolutely need to siege them then. I think catapults are a lot better now, they have more defensive strength so they don't get obliterated on the defense so they are worth picking up and just become better over time. Also I've seen siege used defensively by the AI and it's painful to break through so maybe they are solid defensive units.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Eimi posted:

A melee carpet works great vs ancient walls. The siege tower is also okay as it just goes directly to the city and ignores the walls but you absolutely need to siege them then. I think catapults are a lot better now, they have more defensive strength so they don't get obliterated on the defense so they are worth picking up and just become better over time. Also I've seen siege used defensively by the AI and it's painful to break through so maybe they are solid defensive units.

I have found the computer loves building catapults as defensive units, especially when they are getting their teeth kicked in and they are really good at owning your units, especially if they have a few with upgrades.

Double especially if you are dumb enough to keep throwing wave after wave of fodder at them and then they have a bunch of 3 level cats with grapeshot :negative:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
The siege +7 vs land units promotion is also indeed +7 strength, not +7 bombard strength. That means even if you don't take the +7 when defending, you're still defending at +7 against units (though not cities or naval units). Then you can take another +10 if you get another promotion. Even AI experienced siege units can actually be a massive pain to get rid of. Later on you could also build two siege units in a city with Victor promoted to embrasure, take +7 against land units on one and +7 when defending on the other and merge them into a corps that would defend against most things with +14 (or +24 compared to a non-corps unit). The early siege promotions are generally way better than the ranged ones (+5 ranged strength against land units vs +7 strength against land units, +10 when in a district or fort vs +7 when defending), at least when invading someone instead of defending your own cities. The -17 bombard strength against units that siege units have is still a pain of course, but they can be way tankier than you would expect. But even with that if you have e.g. a trebuchet with grape shot against a crossbow with volley, the trebuchet attacks at 35 bombard strength against the crossbowman's 30 melee strength, and the crossbowman attacks at 45 ranged strength against the trebuchet's 42 melee strength. The crossbow will get the fist shot unless you have bonus movement from somewhere, though.

It really surprised me a while back when I went to attack a catapult with a horseman and saw that the catapult (which had grape shot and shrapnel) would kick the horseman's rear end. That was an unpromoted horseman, but even with 2 promos the horseman would still have lost (only barely if the catapult had no terrain or difficulty bonus, but cavalry losing to siege units when attacking them wasn't something I would have expected at all).

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Stefan Prodan posted:

Yeah battering rams make it way easier and you may be scared because you will look at the preview and go "this didn't matter at all that I brought one!" but what happens is the melees now hit the green HP bar of the city directly instead of the blue wall bar and so even though the first guy will get owned, the second guy will get owned a decent bit less, and the 3rd and 4th guys way less etc

I would say if you aren't too out teched and have a couple archers hitting the town also you should be able to take it with like 4 melees and 2 archers (that also gives you enough to surround the city and give it the little siege shield icon which means it doesn't heal), and you'll probably lose one unit in the process from wall hits. It's also easier if there's farms there to pillage.

Don't hold me to those numbers though if they aren't right, I never really thought about exactly how many it might take and it depends a lot on small # differences between the city strength and your dudes, and other bonuses/penalties like intel, civ bonuses, etc.

Also I guess I assumed the question implied walled cities cause if they aren't walled then uhh just use whatever you want haha

I gave the melee rush a go and sacked a unwalled city pretty fast. The map is getting very crowded so there aren't optimal approaches to other targets. Plus, I'm fighting AT Crew's now and the best I have are men at arms and crossbows vs now walled enemy cities. Not sure if I can close the gap even with bodies.

Maybe I need to rethink how I play the game because my last diety game, I held my own and ended up rolling in dough because I beelined for commercial and industrial hubs. I lost to a science victory, military wasn't an issue. Now though, it feels like its gonna be impossible for me to take cities in a reasonable time, with or without casualties.

Do you guys have a good deity guide lying about or a primer I should read up re: civ 6 things?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TheWeedNumber posted:

i'm going to give you the inverse advice and say "carpet of ranged units with almost no melee units." i usually use 2-6+ ranged and 1-2 melee depending on the strength of the walls. the most important thing to remember is that AI players will tend to shoot at damaged melee units unless it can one-shot a ranged unit in some way, so you can use this to control the flow of the siege. plus, once the wall's (blue) health is depleted, the city can't shoot anymore!

attacking with melee units under siege towers is good for human players. if you're doing it against the AI you're a chump.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
also make sure to put at least 5 units directly around the city to siege it, you prevent the autoheal of the city center

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

you don't necessarily need five units to siege. you can do it with to units using zoc.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
What are some good settings that people use? I found standard settings gives you too much space. On standard with 8 Civs, I found that a lot of times I have too comfortable of an area. Like, I find mountain ranges and city-state buffer areas sometimes mean that I can avoid my neighbors and settle 10+ cities before I feel the need to war. I usually end up bypassing the entire ancient and classical eras without doing much aside from setting up my eventual win. I usually up the number of Civs by 1-2, just to also give me better odds of finding someone else who bothered to dig up artifacts. Then I saw another goon say he plays on Huge maps with only 8 Civs, so I wonder if we are even playing the same game at that point

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Are you playing on deity?

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

Generally speaking, unless I'm aiming for a particular theme/civ, I aim for abundant old standard map with 6 players in legendary start. I've yet to eek out a win of every kind on Immortal, so I like to have enough space and resources. Otherwise I get my rear end pushed in within the first 2 eras.

Am I the only one who gets fixated on starting in Ancient/Classical? I hate the idea of missing out on units for a lot of civs who have one in medieval etc.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Slowpoke! posted:

What are some good settings that people use? I found standard settings gives you too much space. On standard with 8 Civs, I found that a lot of times I have too comfortable of an area. Like, I find mountain ranges and city-state buffer areas sometimes mean that I can avoid my neighbors and settle 10+ cities before I feel the need to war. I usually end up bypassing the entire ancient and classical eras without doing much aside from setting up my eventual win. I usually up the number of Civs by 1-2, just to also give me better odds of finding someone else who bothered to dig up artifacts. Then I saw another goon say he plays on Huge maps with only 8 Civs, so I wonder if we are even playing the same game at that point

Maybe it was me. I play huge map, 9 civs, low sea level, legendary start, 20 city states (used to have it on max but now I leave some spots open for barbs to become CSs)

I like having more space (and its usually all occupied by the end of the game, so I dont think is too much)

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

Stefan Prodan posted:

Are you playing on deity?

I am playing on Emperor, so the AI still gets a strong starting bonus. I haven't brought myself to moving up in difficulty because I have only won 5-6 games on Emperor, but I think I will move up a level soon.

The first time I started playing on this difficulty the AI attacked me a lot, but I have figured out how to maneuver around the early diplomacy stages and how to make my border cities less inviting. In the game I am playing now, my half of the continent was divided by a long mountain range with only a one hex gap to the West (covered by a conveniently placed city-state), and a larger gap to the East. I stuck a city in that gap 7 hexes away from the capital of my neighbor (so no city could be founded in between us) and bought all the tiles I needed to prevent any other settlements from encroaching on my border. That was turn 50. The AI never made an attempt to attack me, and I spent all the way up until the Atomic era settling my continent peacefully (which is kind of boring).

I'm wondering if I just need to up the number of Civs even higher. The AI definitely wars with itself, but aside from early on I never feel threatened.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
It's weird even on deity sometimes they totally leave you alone and sometimes you get thunder hosed by 3 neighbors and there's very little you can do

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In my experience, the AI seems to have become less aggressive after the last patches

Previously it was very common to get attacked early on, but lately its been rare

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

In my experience, the AI seems to have become less aggressive after the last patches

Previously it was very common to get attacked early on, but lately its been rare
I recall someone posted this about the change in the AI to Science Focus which is probably related:

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/oe4yqg/3_lines_of_code_in_april_patch_that_shot_the_ai/

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

BeAuMaN posted:

I recall someone posted this about the change in the AI to Science Focus which is probably related:

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comments/oe4yqg/3_lines_of_code_in_april_patch_that_shot_the_ai/

Thats interesting and probably explains why the AI got dumber after the last patches, why their cities got so much worst and why they wont develop their tiles and are always so poor and so on

I think the AI had a moment right before all the season pass stuff when it was at its best and felt almost good. Than it got worse again and is pretty bad now

Ill definetly try the suggested change in my next game

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 18, 2021

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BeAuMaN posted:

Jesus christ that's bad. IIRC those numbers are used to weight valuation so if I understand how it works it basically means that the AI will sacrifice ~2.5 of any other yield for 1 science. An unimproved mercury tile looks more attractive to it than 4 food or 2 food/2 production. No wonder it performs poorly.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

the holy poopacy posted:

Jesus christ that's bad. IIRC those numbers are used to weight valuation so if I understand how it works it basically means that the AI will sacrifice ~2.5 of any other yield for 1 science. An unimproved mercury tile looks more attractive to it than 4 food or 2 food/2 production. No wonder it performs poorly.

Whats really amazing to me is that the game been like that for months and the AI got very noticeably worst and they just leave it like that, I dont think we will have another patch

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

Whats really amazing to me is that the game been like that for months and the AI got very noticeably worst and they just leave it like that, I dont think we will have another patch

Aren't they still releasing DLC?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

I don’t think they’ve flat out 100% confirmed they’re done, but what they have said would lead you to believe it is.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah Im not sure but i remember reading somewhere that they were done with Civ 6

edit: vvvvv I would bet on the later

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Aug 19, 2021

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've played with the changes for a while, the AI is slightly better but still overall terrible. It's like a 2 minute fix, so either they're planning a much better final final update 2.9 usethisone.exe patch that requires some effort or they can't be bothered and are doing nothing at all

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Elias_Maluco posted:

It's stuff like this that's made Civ VI the first Civilization game, and I've been playing them since Civ II, that I've kind of given up on. Maybe it's just that other games that do what they do very well (Mini Motorways, Stardew Valley, Graveyard Keeper, etc) have held more of my interest lately, but stupid little things like that have ended up making me taking an overall "meh" attitude toward the game after 550 hours (according to Steam) since it first launched about five years ago.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I had never played Eleanor/France with Dramatic Ages, and, well, lol. I completely eliminated four civilizations without ever being at war. (Unfortunately I then ran into that bug that makes all your district production take 999+ turns...)

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I started a game in the atomic era on an Earth tsl map with a handful of major powers in the hopes of eventually seeing some world wars but everyone would rather be BFF's sadly. The only war that broke out was between India and China which seemed promising but neither could even put a dent in the other, I'm guessing the defenses in the later era's are maybe too strong to break? Is there actually a chance you can see a nuclear war break out?

vv I haven't yet started a war myself, I wanted to observe what the other AI would do eventually.

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Sep 6, 2021

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

John F Bennett posted:

I started a game in the atomic era on an Earth tsl map with a handful of major powers in the hopes of eventually seeing some world wars but everyone would rather be BFF's sadly. The only war that broke out was between India and China which seemed promising but neither could even put a dent in the other, I'm guessing the defenses in the later era's are maybe too strong to break? Is there actually a chance you can see a nuclear war break out?
Did you do this? They might become more aggressive maybe?

BeAuMaN posted:

Jets are where it's at. You can wreck anything with enough of those.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005
Is there any AI improvement mods that anyone can recommend?

I have 2 main problems:

1. Diplomacy - I am betting it's hard coded that the AI wont trade a final copy of a luxury good, but I am offering 2 -3 different luxury goods they don't have and they refuse. Why wouldn't they accept this?

2. Long term economic planning: The AI never seems to improve the luxury goods in their borders. They also don't seem big on building financial districts etc.

Basically I want to ally a few civilizations, trade goods, & send trade routes but the AI is impossible to work with. It's always easier and more efficient to just invade.

I realize its difficult with scaling district and worker costs, adjacency bonuses, etc. to craft a decent AI, but it still drives me up the wall.

I know I can bump of the difficulty level past king, but those AI bonuses start to feel ridiculous. I also realize that every other game does the same thing with AI, but it feels less obvious for some reason.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I've been trying to get something like that for a while too. Even a mod I posted about that vmclsimed/claimed to improve it really hasn't. I invaded an AI capital in my most recent game and it had 3 unconnected luxuries, cmooon if its not going to get done in the capital where will it happen?

I'd be happy if they decreased pillage bonuses, if they could only make the AI improve its lands better. Sadly, firaxis have moved on and won't even fix bugs that were known about several patches ago let alone fix anything new or esoteric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
This is the worst thing about Civ 6 AI

I can forgive them being completely retarded in doing war (1UPT is hard, alright), but why they have to be so bad at developing their cities? Not only they will always have undeveloped luxury and strategy tiles all over till the end of the game, they will always have builders wandering around doing nothing too

edit: people say that small fix to make the AI focus on science less someone posted above improves that a lot, but I havent tried that yet

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)