Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aswert1223
Dec 6, 2004

The Ultimate Dripping Machine

zedprime posted:

A hot load has an amazing linear velocity so if at any point you miss the slot while it's coming it's going to make a big ropey mess.

New Thread Title?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Not enough fiber. I've been there.

Always remember the safety ABCs when hot rolling to prevent this:

A
Billet
Coming off the hot rolling mill is very bad

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

8one6 posted:

Jesus tittyfuckung Christ! These things have trouble not slamming into firetrucks now. I can't imagine how much chaos it'll be when they suddenly shift into reverse on the highway.
That new NTSB report cites 11 instances of AP teslas smacking into actively responding emergency vehicles.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

evil_bunnY posted:

That new NTSB report cites 11 instances of AP teslas smacking into actively responding emergency vehicles.

if they were cop cars, hilarious.

If not, goddamn

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Roki B posted:

if they were cop cars, hilarious.

If not, goddamn

There's a reason :teslaget: involves a fire engine, sadly.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nenonen posted:

Are the audible bangs at the end of video, when camera has turned away, cops shooting the black guy now that smoke doesn't obstruct aim?

Don't post murder fantasies in this thread dude.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah if Teslas were only hitting cop cars, there wouldn't be complaints. Unfortunately they have been targeting are brave heroes in fire trucks.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/MudLiMY.mp4

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era
Railroad welding using what looks like thermite.

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/6997243462961597702

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

The classic "if you eat the hot welding slag it will melt your innards". I know as a young welder my life was saved by this poster.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

“Okay, here we go. Focus. Speed. I am speed. One winner, 42 losers. I eat losers for breakfast. Breakfast? Maybe I should have had breakfast? Brekkie could be good for me. No, no, no, focus. Speed. Faster than fast, quicker than quick. I am Lightning. Speed. I am Speed.”

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

It looks like he's suffering from some incredibly horrifying disease that aerosolises your innards.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ZnTCgOrA4

Local Australian kid tries to decapitate himself with jump rope, he has done some questionable nonsense before but drat

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/q3nlpcM.mp4

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Brought to you by shop foreman Peter North.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Edit: drat already posted

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Okay, why does that keep happening? I swear I've seen at least 4 different videos of something similar. Does it happen a lot?

It's terrifying.

Yeah.

It’s called a “cobble”. It happens to maybe one thousandth of all steel that’s rolled like that in most plants (usually not that spectacularly). “Cobble rate” is a statistic the bean counters track.

Worldwide steel production is two billion tonnes per year, so you’re going to end up with a lot of the Devil’s silly string.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 18, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What do they do afterwards? Bunch of guys with angle grinders?

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

ah its easier to just melt the facility down and re-cast it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Lone Badger posted:

Torches. Sometimes pure oxygen because the steel is hot enough to sustain combustion right away.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

literally yes except it's jackhammers and cutting torches and bulldozers.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Cross-posting from the GiP Idiots Thread, and also relevant to the thread title:

Memento posted:

"of the ten bolts that are supposed to hold the bed onto the frame on this M923, six were missing and the other four were this"

For reference this is what they're supposed to look like:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Squee posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5ZnTCgOrA4

Local Australian kid tries to decapitate himself with jump rope, he has done some questionable nonsense before but drat

This guy gives Colin Furze a run for his money.

In addition to how dangerous the contraption is, I appreciate his commitment to building everything with the worst materials and methods.

Some of the visual gags are pretty good, too.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Aug 18, 2021

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Elsie back there doesn't give a gently caress.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

The Lone Badger posted:

Here's an educational video - an extra clip of a cobble forming, plus how they get rid of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Te9sswYVg

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

New air safety device: CabinYeet

https://i.imgur.com/xrXJLNH.mp4

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

A few years ago one of my friend's neighbours changed jobs from being a caretaker at a local cemetery to working at a sawmill.

After a few weeks at his new job, he popped in to do some overtime by himself on the weekend and had a bit of an accident.

He cut off his right arm just above the elbow before losing 3 of the fingers on his left hand retrieving the severed arm. He called the ambulance on his iPhone.

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Aug 18, 2021

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I've got a weird feeling that their system to attach ~most of the plane to a light chassis would cause a lot more accidents and problems than their idea would prevent.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I don't get why removing the wings and cockpit is a necessary and useful step. If you've got a method of safely landing 3/4s of a plane, why not land the entire plane?

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

I'd be willing to bet there's another cut of that video targeted at business customers where the plane lands safely and the cabin explodes in the distance.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
lol that the pilots die in the background. That seems like a huge cross section and ton of weight added to the plane and it'll never get to testing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

A few years ago one of my friend's neighbours changed jobs from being a caretaker at a local cemetery to working at a sawmill.

After a few weeks at his new job, he popped in to do some overtime by himself on the weekend and had a bit of an accident.

He cut off his right arm just above the elbow before losing 3 of the fingers on his left hand retrieving the severed arm. He called the ambulance on his iPhone.

Did they manage to reattach anything?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

The Lone Badger posted:

I don't get why removing the wings and cockpit is a necessary and useful step. If you've got a method of safely landing 3/4s of a plane, why not land the entire plane?

Based on those animations I guess the idea is that you can jettison the passengers in the event that the engines are on fire. Not like it'd actually work out in practice.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Just give every passenger an ejector seat.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
It's not even like you can save a significant portion of the plane this way either, what are you gonna reuse those escape pods?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Butternubs posted:

Just give every passenger an ejector seat.

And make it so that if someone lowers their seat back more than 10 degrees, they automatically get ejected.

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Did they manage to reattach anything?

Nope, the muscles, tendons and blood vessels were all pretty much obliterated. From memory he was participating in some sort of research that involved prosthetics that somehow interacted with signals from nerves in the stump, which sounded pretty interesting.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Dia de Pikachutos posted:

Nope, the muscles, tendons and blood vessels were all pretty much obliterated. From memory he was participating in some sort of research that involved prosthetics that somehow interacted with signals from nerves in the stump, which sounded pretty interesting.

Wow, he must have really wanted in on that study, huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Gotta be somewhere in the top list of words you don't want to hear in a medical setting.

If I ever did though I'd probably laugh because I'd be thinking about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKOWsJkOf1k&t=13s