Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Jenny Agutter posted:

shader nodes and math
the keys to everything

What's the driver you used in the value's value? The value value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

just frame for animating it. "#frame"

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Beach Boys fans in the house?
https://twitter.com/_MagicScience_/status/1428063622543024130

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

excellent

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Is that a quartet or a salad

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/FlippantSphericalBee.mp4

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!

“hmm is this actually playing? I don’t see any aaaaaaaaaaaa”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pseudopresence posted:

“hmm is this actually playing? I don’t see any aaaaaaaaaaaa”

yeah its kinda boring and dull but hopefuly *just* enough of something to make you wanna see it again.

maybe its just too boring.

filthy regex
Oct 1, 2010

s/ (. Y .) / 8==D~~ /g

echinopsis posted:

yeah its kinda boring and dull but hopefuly *just* enough of something to make you wanna see it again.

maybe its just too boring.

I like it. It's kinda unsettling, like some interdimensional gear ticking away doing something that I'll never comprehend. Reminds me of that "Cube" movie.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
Yes that is actually pleasingly unsettling in the way that it remains absolutely motionless for just long enough to trick you into thinking it's inert and looking away.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I tried to make it just interesting enough so that hopefully by the time you’d finished looking around you’d notice it starting to move

interesting trick : normally I put the clock button on the sampling seed so that every frame has a unique seed and basically means the noise is random each frame

but this time i did not do this so the noise doesn’t change at all, so it’s not even clear it’s animated at all. if i had done random noise it’d be clear it was animated at least.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/ShyRealBorzoi.mp4

nice and long this time

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

very nice echi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
it spins

most of what I render is just “what will it look like if I do this?” rather than “let’s make something good”

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/GargantuanSarcasticBee.mp4
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1431180693418217474?s=20

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It stopping is the biggest blueballs I've experienced today

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I love block torus.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Elukka posted:

I love block torus.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Elukka posted:

I love block torus.

My headcanon is that it's a tokamak that just started going bananas during one of the experiments.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/rodtronics/status/1432312628689448961?s=20

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

finally got a graphics card, a non ti 3060. can’t wait to set everything up and blender up some stuff. im coming from i5-4590 cpu rendering to a 5600x plus an rtx 3060 so this should be a pretty significant upgrade lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
use it to finally render your partner a satisfying sexual experience

like this:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

roger that

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Monthly animation update for August -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WJ1AG1nPPU

The big blurb is in the video description, but the short and curlies of it:

Modelled, textured and rigged a new character at the beginning of the month, an insect-like gangly thing that can fold up and has a cool switchblade arm. This is the first creature I've rigged by myself and even did manual weight painting which is a pain in the arse and I hope to do less of it in the future

Lots and lots of animation between the Driver and Monster to get the preliminary beats of their fight down. There's still a lot to go but I've got a lot done as well, though timing and camera work are definitely not locked in yet. No extreme animation like facial, finger and eye tracking yet because getting bogged down in details before I'm satisfied with the action is a Bad Idea

Applied what I learned about creature rigging to the sawblade so it could bend and flex, which was great fun. I've also experimented with breaking objects apart and animating the bits, shown with the table. I considered using rigid body physics but I preferred having control over the parts in this instance.

Mostly this was about making forward progress with the animation rather than polishing what I had already worked on, and I can't argue with a minute of new material. I plan to add assorted cruft and structuring to the shed at a later date to make it more lived in, but to be honest the whole area needs to be retextured so :v:

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

fart simpson posted:

finally got a graphics card, a non ti 3060. can’t wait to set everything up and blender up some stuff. im coming from i5-4590 cpu rendering to a 5600x plus an rtx 3060 so this should be a pretty significant upgrade lol

be sure to turn on optix as the render device in system settings, it's a revelation

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Songbearer posted:

Modelled, textured and rigged a new character at the beginning of the month, an insect-like gangly thing that can fold up and has a cool switchblade arm. This is the first creature I've rigged by myself and even did manual weight painting which is a pain in the arse and I hope to do less of it in the future

Lots and lots of animation between the Driver and Monster to get the preliminary beats of their fight down. There's still a lot to go but I've got a lot done as well, though timing and camera work are definitely not locked in yet. No extreme animation like facial, finger and eye tracking yet because getting bogged down in details before I'm satisfied with the action is a Bad Idea

Applied what I learned about creature rigging to the sawblade so it could bend and flex, which was great fun. I've also experimented with breaking objects apart and animating the bits, shown with the table. I considered using rigid body physics but I preferred having control over the parts in this instance.

Mostly this was about making forward progress with the animation rather than polishing what I had already worked on, and I can't argue with a minute of new material. I plan to add assorted cruft and structuring to the shed at a later date to make it more lived in, but to be honest the whole area needs to be retextured so :v:

holy poo poo you’re incredible

do you have a job or what

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

echinopsis posted:

holy poo poo you’re incredible

do you have a job or what

That's really kind of you to say, thanks! Yeah I work full time but I tend to be awake in the twilight hours and the wife is very supportive of me. I just took time I would usually be gaming and put it in to about 1 - 3 hours a day of working on this dumb thing. Once I get some music on and enter a flow state it's super easy to lose myself in it.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I feel ya there bro. I can spend so many hours doing this. so many hours

It looks like you're far more productive with your time though, I tend to spend a lot of time tweaking

but seriously I'm far more impressed with what you've done than nayhting I can do

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
https://giant.gfycat.com/PalatableTallAurochs.mp4

FLIP Fluids

another example of excellent software

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Songbearer posted:

This is an EXTREMELY complex fight scene, executed in a small space, and I'm still able to follow the action fairly well. The animation still needs some smoothing out, but is already above anything I've attempted.
At this point I'm getting into cinematic advice. There's a concept called the "Rule of 180" where you stay on one side of the action to make it easier to follow. Considering that one of the combatants here is a cool bug thing, that might not be so important, but it's something to keep in mind.

Bluemillion fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 2, 2021

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Songbearer posted:

looks pretty cool op

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
(Xpost from the pics thread)

does anyone know what this weird deflated-looking animation style is called or how it is done? I see it a lot in 3d shitposts so it seems like it must be common enough that someone has explained it

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

looks like its just a couple shape keys, its a very easy method of animating mesh deformation. here's a one-minute tutorial about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWq-ZPMhai8

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Bluemillion posted:

There's a concept called the "Rule of 180" where you stay on one side of the action to make it easier to follow. Considering that one of the combatants here is a cool bug thing, that might not be so important, but it's something to keep in mind.

This is great advice, thank you! Camera movement and positioning is something I really have no experience with so making sure the action is legible is a constant challenge and advice like this really helps. With the monster being how it is it can be a challenge but several shots have already been improved just by keeping the camera on a consistent side. The fact there's always something new to learn is such a motivator. Learning to let the action breathe is also a big hurdle I had to leap, everything moved way too fast in early renders so reigning myself in was something I had to consciously learn

Songbearer fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Sep 3, 2021

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/BlenderDev/status/1433831784769363973?s=20
can't wait

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jenny Agutter posted:

be sure to turn on optix as the render device in system settings, it's a revelation

oh my god. i just built the computer today and downloaded blender and turned on optix. my life is changed.

i ran the blender open data benchmarks and the new computer is literally 25x faster, lol. those 16 hour nodevember renders from last year are gonna take me like a half hour now, especially with cycles x

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
One day there will be GPUs again and I will get something newer than my GTX 970. Although even that is pretty good for GPU rendering and can even run the Optix denoiser. Just doesn't have the magic raytracing hardware.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Is Cycles X in this release? If I can get a raytrace renderer that won't take months for my animation to be done due to volumetrics that would be so cool

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Songbearer posted:

Is Cycles X in this release? If I can get a raytrace renderer that won't take months for my animation to be done due to volumetrics that would be so cool

pm me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cycles x might not do volumetrics? yet?

ages ago when I got my processor after ward I was unsure if it would have been better if I got an updated GPU instead.

updated GPU would have been epic but doing fluid sims lately and having many cores is helping me. for sure. its still slow, I suppose theres just a lot of thinking to be done

but one thing - I cant stand the denoiser. I hate the look of denoised poo poo. looks like its a jpeg encoded at quality of like 4 (or of 128)

I dont mind thre look of noise from low amounts of samples. I wonder if any effort could go into making the sampler act more like film so that low samples looked liked of like grainy film. I mean it kind of already does but just more so