Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is this another failson who became president because there weren't any other male relatives to inherit? The one I used to work for was obsessed with Fukushima radiation for years, and I could see him getting into this kind of thing, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

LyonsLions posted:

Is this another failson who became president because there weren't any other male relatives to inherit? The one I used to work for was obsessed with Fukushima radiation for years, and I could see him getting into this kind of thing, too.
dunno about him being the heir of last resort (maybe daddy planned it this way), but you nailed in on the failson bit. it's his dad's company.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Suga's particularly unique brand of anti-charisma sees him sitting at 28% approval rating (apparently the lowest in the history of Japan being a Republic) and a level of scathing unpopularity with the youth demographic in Japan in particular that I've never really seen before. Like I really truly don't think I've ever seen Japan this upset about it's politicians to quite this degree ever before. I now see people that normally just talk about video games and anime exclusively on twitter and such suddenly just hemming and hawing about the LDP and how terrible things are going in the country right now and how little hope the LDP governance gives them for the future and it's just such a palpable sentiment almost across the board really. Suga seems particularly disdainful towards younger people even by old-fashioned LDP politician standards so that doesn't help his image much either. Guy was also never even actually elected to his current office and just handed the position as Abe's right hand when he resigned and he just seems like a total rear end in a top hat with nothing to offer as a leader in ways that even Abe managed to avoid and a lot of Abe's ideas where wildly unpopular as well and saw him hit some impressive lows in approval rating. Never quite like this though let alone starting from 75% or so a year ago.

If the opposition parties don't have a real shot to make some dents in the LDP hegemony in the next election with their leader sitting at a 28% approval rating and with the general public seemingly having nothing good to say about the current LDP positively ancient 70+ cabinet across the board (and again especially the youth demographic where it's practically apocalyptic levels of scathing rebuke and hatred for their government like they want Suga's head on a platter yesterday) then there will probably never come a time.

Just once more in my life time, as somebody with a fondness for the country (albeit fleeting these days with how the country is run and the worrying shift in tone to the far-right under Abe) I'd love to see Japan just stick it the LDP in the next election for what they've subjected their country to in the last 12 years in particular and send a message. I'm not holding my breath though even with Suga at 28% all time low approval ratings. I just don't think the youth has the voting bloc power necessary across the country and old Japan's attachment to the LDP as the standard bearer to vote for without a thought probably just remains too strong even now. :(

e: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nippon_Kaigi

Part of the big problem with the LDP and what I think has a lot to do with what is pissing off the youth is this faction of it in particular which Abe and the hand me down government and cabinet of Suga is a part of and thus the LDP remains currently in thrall too and has been able to get out-sized influence on Japanese politics and policy as a whole. It's not the de-facto ideology of the LDP but it remains dangerously close to becoming such if it's not properly checked and continues to wield that level of outsized influence and acts as the sole gateway to high level cabinet positions versus being pushed the back benches of the Diet.

I also swear to absolute loving god that organizations like Bleach Japan in Yakuza 7 and Shido's United Future Party in Persona 5 are deliberate critical satire of the Nippon Kaigi with how their brand of blatantly self serving ultra nationalist politics are so similar as. Ditto the fierce resistance and denouncements to them by the protagonists of said games echoing and resonating a lot with the fans and younger people in the country. It can't just be a coincidence.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 18, 2021

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Voters under 30 are the government's strongest demographic.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

Voters under 30 are the government's strongest demographic.

Where can I see this data?

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

https://www.asahi.com/sp/politics/yoron/

It's been a phenomenon for a while tbh, and for me anecdotally it holds up.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Please Japan just vote for the Battle Royale dude for prime minister.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Charles 2 of Spain posted:

https://www.asahi.com/sp/politics/yoron/

It's been a phenomenon for a while tbh, and for me anecdotally it holds up.

Maybe what I'm seeing then is that tendency to just go with the flow in Japanese society and the flow is clearly going against Suga lately so all demographics just kind of tend to follow along and now suddenly it's an anti-Suga sentiment when previously the subject of politics rarely seemed to come up in Japanese social media "trending topics" type stuff for example. Usually that sort of stuff is dominated by anime "otaku"hobbyist bullshit and "Some Johnny's boy band music group did a press conference here's my reaction" and such so to see politics of any sort comes as a bit of a surprise unless it's the Olympics that opened up the topicality of it as something to feel less nervous and reserved about discussing because other people are doing it.

I also see this tendency to avoid politics discussion whenever I've come across a video of somebody going around asking Japanese people on the streets about what they feel about movements like Black Lives Matter in the U.S or #MeToo globally. Just this pained nervous look of wanting to be literally anywhere else and searching for that non-answer that will hopefully offend the least amount of people or register the absolute least while also trying to sound somewhat like they are engaged in society and carefully considering their answer as a responsible upstanding citizen.

I've also been doing some further reading on the topic though and been finding stats that put the 18-30 demographic as having the best splits for Abe/Suga and the LDP but the lowest return rate for any voting demographic as well. It kind of tells me (and this seems to bear out in analysis too) that rather than specifically being gung ho for Abe/Suga and their policies that they're just kind of disengaged from politics (unless it's a topic like it is right now with the Olympics, new state of emergency and assorted fallout) and just kind of choosing the options they feel will ruffle the least feathers (aka old status quo LDP as it's always been) if they absolutely feel compelled to vote and then focusing on getting on with all the other poo poo they're going to have to deal with as young adults.

Kale fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 18, 2021

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Kale posted:

the history of Japan being a Republic

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Pretty sure part of Japan's issues with faith in democracy is they've been one of the more transparent cases of any time a leftist manages to gain any prominence whatsoever they get literally murdered.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Kale posted:

Maybe what I'm seeing then is that tendency to just go with the flow in Japanese society and the flow is clearly going against Suga lately so all demographics just kind of tend to follow along and now suddenly it's an anti-Suga sentiment when previously the subject of politics rarely seemed to come up in Japanese social media "trending topics" type stuff for example. Usually that sort of stuff is dominated by anime "otaku"hobbyist bullshit and "Some Johnny's boy band music group did a press conference here's my reaction" and such so to see politics of any sort comes as a bit of a surprise unless it's the Olympics that opened up the topicality of it as something to feel less nervous and reserved about discussing because other people are doing it.

I also see this tendency to avoid politics discussion whenever I've come across a video of somebody going around asking Japanese people on the streets about what they feel about movements like Black Lives Matter in the U.S or #MeToo globally. Just this pained nervous look of wanting to be literally anywhere else and searching for that non-answer that will hopefully offend the least amount of people or register the absolute least while also trying to sound somewhat like they are engaged in society and carefully considering their answer as a responsible upstanding citizen.

I've also been doing some further reading on the topic though and been finding stats that put the 18-30 demographic as having the best splits for Abe/Suga and the LDP but the lowest return rate for any voting demographic as well. It kind of tells me (and this seems to bear out in analysis too) that rather than specifically being gung ho for Abe/Suga and their policies that they're just kind of disengaged from politics (unless it's a topic like it is right now with the Olympics, new state of emergency and assorted fallout) and just kind of choosing the options they feel will ruffle the least feathers (aka old status quo LDP as it's always been) if they absolutely feel compelled to vote and then focusing on getting on with all the other poo poo they're going to have to deal with as young adults.
Eh, I think it's difficult to draw broad conclusions on how Japanese people think about politics from social media and being asked for their political opinions on the street by strangers with a camera. Maybe it's because of my social circles but tons of Japanese youth are well aware of BLM and MeToo, there were protests for it like in other countries.

The main thing going against Suga is the government response to the pandemic which isn't really going with the flow as opposed to being legitimately pissed off about it. Whether this will actually hurt him in November I'm not so sure.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
People can’t get a drink in Tokyo and surrounding prefectures. You’re drat right they’re pissed

Kale
May 14, 2010

Fine constitutional monarchy, but it sure as hell comes across like an American style republic in how it's been run that I can't help but forget about the whole figurehead Emperor thing and I'm sure America at the time of the treaty would rather they have just foregone the whole tradition entirely. I mean at this point he has several orders of magnitude less public presence than say Queen Elizabeth II that he's pretty easy to forget about.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

I bet the empress wishes it was a republic

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Welp, so long and thanks for all the fish, Reiwa Ojisan

https://twitter.com/dwvcd/status/1433624706293264387

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

harperdc posted:

suga deez nutz

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

harperdc posted:

That was fast. gently caress yeah. I really hope this puts a dent in Nippon Kaigi.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I can't help but feel like this is just taking a leaf from the Australian Liberals (or more likely, the same thing they've already done for decades); change out the PM and the electorate suddenly gets collective amnesia.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I can't help but feel like this is just taking a leaf from the Australian Liberals (or more likely, the same thing they've already done for decades); change out the PM and the electorate suddenly gets collective amnesia.

I mean, the LDP has been doing this forever. I think the fun fact is that the LDP had more prime ministers from the post-war period to now than America's had presidents in its 200+ year history. The Abe stronghold for almost a decade is the exception and not the rule.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

harperdc posted:

Welp, so long and thanks for all the covid, Reiwa Ojisan

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

harperdc posted:

I mean, the LDP has been doing this forever. I think the fun fact is that the LDP had more prime ministers from the post-war period to now than America's had presidents in its 200+ year history. The Abe stronghold for almost a decade is the exception and not the rule.

It feels like Koizumi was around for about a decade as well, but he was only in office for 5 years and change, despite two elections in "four year terms." The tenures generally have historically been quite short, even if they win multiple general elections. Even going as far back as Hirobumi Ito's original tenure, they tended to only be in office for anywhere between 6 months to a year and change. There have been the odd PMs that have had 3+ years in office here and there, but those have always occurred between successive PMs that were in office for very short tenures - case in point the succession of PMs that hotpotatoed the role between Koizumi calling it quits in '06 and Abe's second bite of the apple in 2012 after he ousted the Dem failsons.

If anything, the Kishi -> Ikeda -> Sato period between 1957 to 1972 is an anomaly, in that there were successive Prime Ministers that were in office for more than 3 years (about 3 years and 5 months, around 4 years and 4 months, around 7 years and 8 months, respectively).

It's also remarkable just how many of these Prime Ministers never even face an election, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 3, 2021

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I like to think that it's because of the one day he took off after "working for 5 months straight" and he thought why the gently caress am I doing this job

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Grouchio posted:

That was fast. gently caress yeah. I really hope this puts a dent in Nippon Kaigi.

lol

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm enjoying journalists who report on Asia being surprised by a completely common trend for Japanese PMs.

https://twitter.com/sharp_writing/status/1433630243261091843

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy
name in katakana, but all likes & replies in English/to other English asiawatchers. sounds like he's got his finger on the pulse

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

captkirk posted:

I'm enjoying journalists who report on Asia being surprised by a completely common trend for Japanese PMs.

https://twitter.com/sharp_writing/status/1433630243261091843

Nikkei isn’t getting their money’s worth

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Who's that dirtbag?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Grouchio posted:

Who's that dirtbag?

Fumio Kishida. He's Nippon Kaigi. So are Sanae Takaichi and Shigeru Ishiba. They're all running or expected to run for LDP president and the prime ministership. Only one running at the moment that isn't Nippon Kaigi is Taro Kono.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mr. Fix It posted:

Fumio Kishida. He's Nippon Kaigi. So are Sanae Takaichi and Shigeru Ishiba. They're all running or expected to run for LDP president and the prime ministership. Only one running at the moment that isn't Nippon Kaigi is Taro Kono.
Suga wants Taro Kono to succeed him so :shrug:

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

Looked up Nippon Kaigi on wikipedia and it says they're advocating a return to traditional gender roles but I'm sure they just mean boring "mean have authority over women" and "sex should only happen in marriage". Why do these right wing Japanese nationalists never take an interesting stance on a return to traditional gender roles? Just to change things up it would be nice to see one of these guys advocating for the return of boning your young male mentees. Or go really old school and advocate for the c-orulership of a male and female sovereigns!

Sauzer
Jan 31, 2006
Some Sort of Guy

captkirk posted:

Just to change things up it would be nice to see one of these guys advocating for the return of boning your young male mentees.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

i don't know why milo even tries when roehm and yukio both already nailed the gay fascist thing. get your own thing.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Mr. Fix It posted:

i don't know why milo even tries when roehm and yukio both already nailed the gay fascist thing. get your own thing.

As someone once said about Jordan Peterson, what is good about him is not new, and what is new about him is not good.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Fix It posted:

I've always had the suspicion that Milo has been faking. Mishima was the real deal though.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I've always had the suspicion that Milo has been faking. Mishima was the real deal though.
Milo is the Mishima from Persona 5 who wishes he was the real Mishima.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

captkirk posted:

Looked up Nippon Kaigi on wikipedia and it says they're advocating a return to traditional gender roles but I'm sure they just mean boring "mean have authority over women" and "sex should only happen in marriage". Why do these right wing Japanese nationalists never take an interesting stance on a return to traditional gender roles? Just to change things up it would be nice to see one of these guys advocating for the return of boning your young male mentees. Or go really old school and advocate for the c-orulership of a male and female sovereigns!

That has always confused me, too. My understanding is that (male) homosexuality was incredibly common until Meiji and Westernization.

That really wasn't that long ago in the span of national history.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Mr. Fix It posted:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/bmpjvv/the-sad-truth-about-milo-yiannopoulos

quote:

Yiannopoulos has a secret he's spent his whole life trying to conceal. It's not his recently uncovered defense of child abuse—a video where he dismisses the "arbitrary and oppressive idea of consent"—which is now rapidly destroying his career, leading to his resignation from Breitbart and the cancelation of both his keynote speech at the conservative CPAC conference and his book with Simon & Schuster. It's not his terrible book of poetry (some lines, from a poem titled "Psychosis Manifest": "My suffering / enables the serpent").

No: Milo's secret is that he's one of the most boring people on the planet.

He spends every waking second trying to hide this fact. It's why an adult man who used to dress exactly like the awkward tech journalist he was now swans around in costumes ranging from "Poochie the dog" to "scene-filler from Triumph of the Will." It's why, like every other failed reactionary loser to get bored of these pissy British islands, he went off to seek fame in America, where people confuse our accents for wit and our humdrum sex lives for personality. It's why he won't stop running up and down in front of the world, screaming "look at me!" He needs to keep it up forever, because as soon as he stops, people will realize there's nothing to see.

Listen to what Milo actually says, beyond all the teenage showiness about how many cocks he's sucked and how great his clothes are. He thinks Islam is "sinister," feminism is stupid, and the world revolves around him. He's someone's dad, a spluttering retired colonel full of gravy and defeat, spraying little specks of brussels sprouts from his mouth as he drones on about immigrants at the dinner table, while the kids roll their eyes and push their peas forlornly from one side of the plate to the other.

The reason Milo's comments on pedophilia have done him so much damage is that they're the only opinions he holds—including those that are outrightly fascist—that wouldn't also be held by any ordinary middle-aged pub bore. He's built an entire career on claiming to be a "dangerous human being," the supervillain of the internet, a man who says the things that people aren't meant to say—but speaking the forbidden truth will only get you on all the TV channels if your forbidden truth is actually just the boring old conventional wisdom.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

That has always confused me, too. My understanding is that (male) homosexuality was incredibly common until Meiji and Westernization.

That really wasn't that long ago in the span of national history.

It's because one of the tenets of fascism is selectively glorifying a past that didn't necessarily exist in the way they wish it did.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

captkirk posted:

Looked up Nippon Kaigi on wikipedia and it says they're advocating a return to traditional gender roles but I'm sure they just mean boring "mean have authority over women" and "sex for women whom I don't want to bone should only happen in marriage".

ftfy. The ruling class are the biggest patrons of the soaplands and kyabakura as is their Amaterasu-given right. See that dude who was caught attending "sexy yoga classes" with a former hostess, and the entire existence of the Entertainer visa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Weatherman posted:

ftfy. The ruling class are the biggest patrons of the soaplands and kyabakura as is their Amaterasu-given right. See that dude who was caught attending "sexy yoga classes" with a former hostess, and the entire existence of the Entertainer visa.
Which makes the depiction of Nippon Kaigi (as Bleach Japan) in Yakuza 7 odd as they are feral about closing all of those.