Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Murdoch press sucks of course but overall it's way better than North America. Back home we had 1,200 cases per day and the media was still scared to offend our CHO. And of course no one dares to say anything challenging to a US politician without letting them off the hook with an easy non-answer.

yeah, you're right. as soon as i posted it i thought to myself "well, compared to north american media..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Caseman posted:

I think we may have hit the upper limit of what percentage of the population will get vaccinated without rigorous enforcement, the kind that the American government will absolutely never do. We may get to the point where hospitals have no choice but to stop treating patients that opted out of being vaccinated because they simply do not have the resources for it.

Who am I kidding it'll just be whoever has the most money

I don't think we've hit the upper limit. They're still trickling in. Also there are a large number of children for who vaccination just isn't available yet.

But a good 30% or so of the population will never get the vaccine without coercion. And it turns out that if you're going to have an open society you either need some level of coercion or the ability to expel these people from your community.

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Ice Phisherman posted:

I don't think we've hit the upper limit. They're still trickling in. Also there are a large number of children for who vaccination just isn't available yet.

But a good 30% or so of the population will never get the vaccine without coercion. And it turns out that if you're going to have an open society you either need some level of coercion or the ability to expel these people from your community.

like a million of those new vaccinations is max titers

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Oof bad news... Dog quarantine is 180 days. Not even joking.

Aw gently caress.
Got a source for this?

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

crepeface posted:

like a million of those new vaccinations is max titers

Juwanna Vax.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Max Titers and his girlfriend, Ivana Vax.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

amethystbliss posted:

I empathize with what you're going through. It's complete and utter bullshit that a remote option is not being offered in so many places. CT is the same so we're going to homeschool my 2nd grader until she can be vaccinated.

Oh lol my kids going into 2nd grade too. And it's definitely galling, the city keeps saying their hands are tied and parents want in-person schooling but the majority of families chose remote last year and I bet a good fraction would again were it offered. They just don't want to pay for the staff and resources it requires.

It's true our clever plan probably only works if pediatric vaccines come out in September, somehow. That or the first few weeks of school are so bad that a remote option is created. Doubt we could string it out until 2022, even if the school admin wanted to play along.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

osprey posted:

putting "do not wish to disclose" for last name

mr. hippa

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Nocturtle posted:

Oh lol my kids going into 2nd grade too. And it's definitely galling, the city keeps saying their hands are tied and parents want in-person schooling but the majority of families chose remote last year and I bet a good fraction would again were it offered. They just don't want to pay for the staff and resources it requires.

It's true our clever plan probably only works if pediatric vaccines come out in September, somehow. That or the first few weeks of school are so bad that a remote option is created. Doubt we could string it out until 2022, even if the school admin wanted to play along.

It won't last a month.

None of this is sustainable.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

Nocturtle posted:

Well I mean just look at every single other school district that has opened up. They all got like 100 covid cases on day 1.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

durrneez posted:

FINALLY got my husband to agree to wear a KN95 at indoor residency events. I asked if I should buy, like, 100 and he said, “I don’t want boxes and boxes of masks lying around the house. If I like them, we can always buy more!!!”

lol this düdühead :doh:

your husband is a loving idiot and 100 kn95 masks fit in one box

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Atrocious Joe posted:

I haven't checked this thread in months, but it's frustrating to see everyone here still spreading anti-vax talking points

Please find more reputable sources.
https://twitter.com/carlzimmer/status/1408111643809169410?s=20

im sure that ap fluff, from 2 months ago, is still as accurate as it was the day it was published corrected with a different headline and percentage

quote:

This story was first published on June 24, 2021. It was updated on June 29, 2021, to correct the number of hospital admissions to more than 107,000, not 853,000, and the percentage of hospitalized people who been vaccinated to 1.1%, not 0.1%.

but anyway, nothing at all has changed since then, and surely nothing ever will

onward, to applebee's

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

A woman came up to me on the street today and told me that I can take my mask off, because Jesus Christ will protect me. Very cool, normal country, we're definitely gonna beat this thing eventually guys!

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
we might beat it next spring after 4 million people die, including more kids than die in a decade from all causes. still probably not tho

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stereotype posted:

we might beat it next spring after 4 million people die, including more kids than die in a decade from all causes. still probably not tho

Look at this optimist

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

oh this should be fun

https://twitter.com/Redpainter1/status/1427735907571048453

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Ammanas posted:

who cares if abbott tests positive. i want him to get really sick. hopefully die. testing positive is worthless without suffering

It's still pretty funny

Not Trump-with-covid funny but you take what you can get these days

coke
Jul 12, 2009
great page for titers

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

silicone thrills posted:

seems fine

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/17/us/mississippi-teenager-dies-covid/index.html

Mississippi eighth grader dies a day after positive coronavirus test

What theyre not reporting: she was actually gunned down in the hospital parking lot

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

This pandemic has taught me that there are a ton of people that are present in our society that I would happily wish into oblivion if I could.

I mean, I already sort of knew this, but holy poo poo is it worse than I thought.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Ice Phisherman posted:

It won't last a month.

None of this is sustainable.
If it lasts, it's because we've stretched the rules for school so far beyond anything that's safe. 3 ft vs. 6 ft of distance and a lot of loopholes for quarantines. CDC guidance literally says this, "Exception: In the K–12 indoor classroom setting, the close contact definition excludes students who were within 3 to 6 feet of an infected student (laboratory-confirmed or a clinically compatible illness) if both the infected student and the exposed student(s) correctly and consistently wore well-fitting masks the entire time."

If masks are required, bing bong no kids are ever close contacts and classrooms don't have to shut. Some states have more robust guidelines but goddamn the CDC school guidelines are infuriating.

titty_baby_
Nov 11, 2015

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

A woman came up to me on the street today and told me that I can take my mask off, because Jesus Christ will protect me. Very cool, normal country, we're definitely gonna beat this thing eventually guys!

I was walking some dogs in the woods, pre delta, on logging road in the woods, not wearing a mask because hardly anyone was out and I had enough space to distance from people I encountered. Some old hippy lady saw me and said she was glad I wasn't wearing a mask and thag she could see my beautiful smile and that I'm not a zombie like everyone else

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I like children who don’t die

(Seriously the govt and schools are lying to you, lie back if you can to literally save your child’s life)

e: nice page

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
delta has led to a 4% increase in rates from 18-49 (87%) and a 10% increase in 12-17

0.8% in ages 65+ lol

boomers have a deathwish

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The Demilich posted:

Aw gently caress.
Got a source for this?

"All dogs and cats entering New Zealand, except those coming from Australia, must undergo a period of quarantine in an MPI-approved quarantine facility from 10 days to 60 days. New Zealand requires a quarantine period of 180 days for all dogs and cats entering the country, except for animals coming in from Australia. About 170 days of the quarantine can be spent in the home country and 10 days at the quarantine facility in New Zealand."

https://www.petraveller.com.au/blog/quarantine-in-new-zealand-all-you-need-to-know

Not sure how the home country quarantine works so maybe not as bad as it sounds? Your dog maybe just can't play with other dogs??

Lovelyn
Jul 8, 2008

Eat more beans
Horrifying work story about proning:

We have 5 patients on proning rotations on the floor today. Our proning schedule is 16 hours proned, 8 hours supined/side-lying. I was helping the team when one shared a story about a patient who was proned and was lying on his dick. It went ischemic (lost blood flow) and he had 2/3 of his dick and his nuts amputated. Helluva thing to wake up to after being sedated for days/weeks.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Asproigerosis posted:

Negative icu beds means they have patients in the hospital requiring critical care level that are in a waiting line to get onto the proper floor and are just on a lower level receiving substandard care until someone in the ICU dies and they get to take their spot.

dies, OR… hear me out here… OR goes home completely healthy and probably without long covid and permanent cheese lung!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

someone in a youtube comment sneered at one of my 7 month old comments that "icu beds are always full across the country" and lol lmao

This is the current line going around social media so some influencer in the chudosphere must be spewing it.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Koirhor posted:

woah woah dies?! no that doesn’t feel right, lets workshop this! what about ‘discharged without a pulse’?

lmao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Lovelyn posted:

We have 5 patients on proning rotations on the floor today. Our proning schedule is 16 hours proned, 8 hours supined/side-lying. I was helping the team when one shared a story about a patient who was proned and was lying on his dick. It went ischemic (lost blood flow) and he had 2/3 of his dick and his nuts amputated. Helluva thing to wake up to after being sedated for days/weeks.

Nevermind it was a spoiler

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Aug 18, 2021

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Lovelyn posted:

not as horrifying as i was expecting

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Horifying story about proning? Well of course I'll hover over those spoilers and giver it a read, no chance I'll regret it at all.

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

Lovelyn posted:

Six inches forward and five inches back
I got a—
I got an angry inch
Six inches forward and five inches back
I got a—
I got an angry inch

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Hmm

Seems like a bad idea during a resurgent plague. Wonder what their safety protocols will be during this big binge drinking festival.

"Pretty please be safe, but if you aren't we won't enforce poo poo anyway. lol"

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

maybe the social media platforms should have acted before insane dangerous propaganda destroyed millions of brains permanently

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Lovelyn posted:

I am a big man with a cough
(Yes I am)
And I have a big gun
Got me a big old dick and I
I like to sleep on it until it turns numb

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010
LOL at the nz covid case who has had their 1am drunk trip to Dennys published on the ministry of health website
https://twitter.com/TheSpinoffTV/status/1427860090724311045?s=19

The Vinja Ninja
Mar 16, 2006

Sometimes, time beats you.

skewetoo posted:

At this point in the pandemic it is impossible to source respirators with speech diaphragms and child sized masks. Garbage rear end capitalism

Just buy them from japan and pay for the re-shipping from sendico or buyee

https://www.mercari.com/jp/items/m76547444049/ is a good mask that fits kids TW01 comes in lots of colors and the filters are around 5 bux if you can handle searching japanese websites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

someone post the rubby half mask anthem