Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Vikar Jerome posted:

lol

is the game any good tho? does it live up to l4d?

No, it's fuckin' crap. It's balanced around the crapass card system and the stages are way the gently caress too long and you're better off playing L4D2 again or WWZ or even Vermintide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Vermintide is great

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

No, it's fuckin' crap. It's balanced around the crapass card system and the stages are way the gently caress too long and you're better off playing L4D2 again or WWZ or even Vermintide.

I think the card system is pretty great just for replayability :shrug:. Corruption Cards are literally the same kind of random environment hazards that L4D2 would do, it just telegraphs them, or an optional challenge to shake things up for money (eg; don't get anyone killed, or don't set off anything that would attract a Horde) and you play your cards to counter them or buff yourself. And considering your cards stack by the end of a run you're setting yourself up pretty well. It's built really well so you're getting a better variety of experiences with each run.

That said, a campaign run does not need to be eight goddamn stages long, especially when they seem to wrap up with a nice clean handoff at the fourth stage.

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

Are either of the Vermintide games particularly active on the PS4 at this point? I don't think it has cross platform play but they're always on sale.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I'm beginning to suspect day drinking doesn't help with my Bloodborne performance. I died about 15 times to Living Failures, then died twice before stopping on Lady Maria - who I've literally never died to once before.

That or the sort of low vit I have on this character... nah, probably the booze.

Edit: well today I learned that your weapon damage drops if durability is low but not 0 which wasn't helping, but I can get her down to ⅓ health in like 30 seconds and skip the second phase entirely but if I mess up in the last phase I get one shot. Accidentally made a very fragile character I guess. Very few bosses have taken me more than 2 tries until now.

Edit2: lol got her, it was over in 1 minute. Three parries and viscerals to skip to the third phase, ebrietas stun lock up the stairs, finished her off.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Aug 15, 2021

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
bloodborne is a good game.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9-qlHV0uPUThat was pretty rad

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

best boss fight in any game!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

best boss fight in any game!
Bit sad I can no longer brag about never dying to her tbh because it is very exciting.

If it was in Dark Souls 3 she would have had 3 health bars.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Akuma posted:

If it was in Dark Souls 3 she would have had 3 health bars.

and you would get on your knees and :worship: hidetaka and say thank you boss thank you for the slop

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

and you would get on your knees and :worship: hidetaka and say thank you boss thank you for the slop

https://twitter.com/killthenoise/status/1426748707634966530?s=21

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

good times

always check your ammo lol don't be like me
https://twitter.com/cleargatewest/status/966201120900173831

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

good times

You're using the pizza cutter wrong

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

good times

*click*

:dogstare:

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

good times

Hah! I love that From games will let you try and use something you don't have and your character's always confused.

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh

Akuma posted:

Hah! I love that From games will let you try and use something you don't have and your character's always confused.

There's nothing quite like hitting roll in shin-high water and watching your character make a little wobbly step as the enemy's spiked metal bat hurtles towards your skull

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Raylax posted:

There's nothing quite like hitting roll in shin-high water and watching your character make a little wobbly step as the enemy's spiked metal bat hurtles towards your skull

Failing to roll cost me at least two dozen runs at armor spider in the demons souls remake

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Augur of Ebrietas is best treated, not as a parry tool to hit enemies during parryable frames, but as a tool that deals such a large stagger that you break all their hyper armor, resetting their attack combo and pancaking them onto their rear end. Its recovery frames are so bad that you're unlikely to successfully perform a visceral anyway. Like put it this way, no one uses DS3 medium shields for its parry, because they are bad at so.

Augur is like a linear Beast Roar, that costs a single measly bullet.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Phobophilia posted:

Augur of Ebrietas is best treated, not as a parry tool to hit enemies during parryable frames, but as a tool that deals such a large stagger that you break all their hyper armor, resetting their attack combo and pancaking them onto their rear end. Its recovery frames are so bad that you're unlikely to successfully perform a visceral anyway. Like put it this way, no one uses DS3 medium shields for its parry, because they are bad at so.

Augur is like a linear Beast Roar, that costs a single measly bullet.
Yeah exactly! They beefed up its damage output since launch, though. It felt kind of useless until it was patched, if memory serves.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

https://twitter.com/MortalShellGame/status/1427253811379331073?s=20

Good stuff!! I have this on PS4 Pro and really enjoyed it

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mortal Shell loving ruled and I'm very excited for this

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I ran out of steam after the first two dungeons. Should really jump back in. I think I've even done the harder ones first. Mortal Shell is an absolutely good game. Never hitting any of the from games highs but instead maintaining an evenly enjoyable experience through what I've played. Though the first area is confusing and the distance between checkpoints can be a little far.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

i got mortal shell as a gift for my birthday and wasn't planning on bothering with it until wayyyy later, but this expansion/update/whatever being free for a few days will absolutely get me to at least install it and gently caress around with it a bit

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I never got around to finish it but now I'll give it a push. This DLC being free for a few days is really cool.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I'm interested to see what Speed runners will do with the Roguelike mode. It's an hub based single-player game hacked into a roguelike, which speed runners have already broken, so there's probably going to be some really fascinating skips and physics nonsense to come out of it.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I should try out Mortal Shell. I've always thought that basic Souls game are extremely replayable, hence why they're so fun to speedrun and NG+. Make this a deliberate gameplay loop as a roguelike is probably a good extrapolation.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Aidan_702 posted:

I'm interested to see what Speed runners will do with the Roguelike mode. It's an hub based single-player game hacked into a roguelike, which speed runners have already broken, so there's probably going to be some really fascinating skips and physics nonsense to come out of it.

I don’t think it’s gonna be that exciting unless they patch out the physics glitch that lets you roll your character up into the sky and clip through the entire level like the current WR speed runners do.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
So I downloaded the Plants vs Zombies game that is free this month, I'm not even sure why I didn't think it would be very good but I absolute love it.
The pvp is like a more fun Overwatch that don't make me mad or feel bad for letting my team down and the pve just seems like really good mindless fun. With all the depressing stuff going on in the world with the pandemic lock down, Afghanistan etc its just really nice to play a happy fun game.
I am just absolutely shocked how much I love this game that I would have never have been aware of it existence if not for what I thought was a lovely PSPlus month.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Which version of Persona 4 do I want?

On a PS5, if it matters.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

On a PS5, if it matters.

You're currently outta luck, bub. check back in a month maybe

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PRADA SLUT posted:

On a PS5, if it matters.

Yeah, it's only on Steam at the moment sadly. If by chance you mean Persona 5, then you absolutely want P5 Royal.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wish the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne had just been a proper rougelike. I enjoyed them a lot. More than some people seem to, but I think they would have been cooler just detached from the main game entirely where you start a new character each time. There's enough tile sets, enemies etc to make it work. Tbh there's probably nearly as much variety as returnal has in there. They just would have been cooler as their own mini game I think instead of being blended into the main game.

I kind of hate that people were critical of them and Fromsoft just decided to ditch the idea instead of continuing with improved versions of it in later games. Dark Souls 3 Rougelite side mode seems like it could have been a thing...

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I wish the chalice dungeons in Bloodborne had just been a proper rougelike. I enjoyed them a lot. More than some people seem to, but I think they would have been cooler just detached from the main game entirely where you start a new character each time. There's enough tile sets, enemies etc to make it work. Tbh there's probably nearly as much variety as returnal has in there. They just would have been cooler as their own mini game I think instead of being blended into the main game.

I kind of hate that people were critical of them and Fromsoft just decided to ditch the idea instead of continuing with improved versions of it in later games. Dark Souls 3 Rougelite side mode seems like it could have been a thing...

The chalices are very fun with friends and not as fun alone.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Chalice dungeons are okay as gambling dopamine release simulators, but as part of Souls design, they are not. One of the best parts of Souls is very purposeful level design and enemy placement, levels are fun to explore and the enemies are always used in interesting ways. This aspect is missing in Chalices, mobs form big groups with little rhyme or reason.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I played a mix of solo and summoning you guys and had fun both ways, but I think it would have just been cooler as it's own separate goal rather than this thing that is tied into the main game, because it's sort of easy to forget about, easy to draw quality comparisons between the two, and easy to get way OP for the actual game. I think it would have just been better as a secondary mode with it's own progression. I don't think it needs permadeath or whatever because From games are way too hard and long for that poo poo.

Overall I think the Chalice Dungeons are way underrated. There's tons of new areas, new enemies, surprises...they are pretty awesome but I don't think they gel perfectly with just doing a Bloodbirne playthrough. It's like 90% of it being the best side mode is all there the way it was implemented just clashes a bit with Bloodborne overall. That extra 10% could have been something you'd play indefinitely.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Some Chalice Dungeon focused DLC that added new chalices with (radically) new layouts and tiles and also maybe added a way to get going without having to play up to BSB would have been welcome.

I'm going through the chalices again and I do enjoy them a lot - they were so close to being great and not just good, though. When you get bosses that are literally just regular enemies from the main game it's let down a bit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

PRADA SLUT posted:

On a PS5, if it matters.

For the record, the reason it's a month is that Atlus is teasing some big Persona announcements for September. Maybe if we're good we'll get a P4 port, but I'm more interested in potential Persona 6 news, whatever the hell they might be doing to update Persona 3 (even if I don't love that game), or god forbid an Ultimax port (please, Atlus, I've been so very good this year)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I have Persona 5 Royal on my backlog, do I want Persona 5 Strikers too? It's getting cheap and might add it to the collection (and insane backlog as I'm studying+working until december).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Knight007au posted:

So I downloaded the Plants vs Zombies game that is free this month, I'm not even sure why I didn't think it would be very good but I absolute love it.
The pvp is like a more fun Overwatch that don't make me mad or feel bad for letting my team down and the pve just seems like really good mindless fun. With all the depressing stuff going on in the world with the pandemic lock down, Afghanistan etc its just really nice to play a happy fun game.
I am just absolutely shocked how much I love this game that I would have never have been aware of it existence if not for what I thought was a lovely PSPlus month.

yeah every time one of these comes out I have to make myself wait because I know they're fun, I just know they'll be on PS+ in two years