Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you prefer the extended summer thread format?
This poll is closed.
Yes 126 44.21%
No 39 13.68%
I'm Scottish 120 42.11%
Total: 285 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Aarghhhhhh more of the "where are the women" comments on Facebook re Afghans fleeing.
People just have no idea.

Page snipe:

325 = 13 x 5 x 5. Unlucky for some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Right, so Gove maybe probably gay, and Fox is calling for hard men. Hasn't my community suffered enough?

e: Pipe smoking dog, according to Viz, Straw has a miniscule penis, so I can see why he might be a wee bit gumption.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Aug 18, 2021

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/GregClinker/status/1427578862339252239?s=20

I was at this rally in 2003. I think I've mentioned before how when I went in to work on the following Monday, my desk was covered with photocopies of Osama Bin Laden's face and I was referred to as Osama for weeks and weeks afterwards as in "Oi Osama, are you coming to this meeting".

Corbyn speech: (it's not the full speech)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16BtpSCufU0

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

fuctifino posted:

The party doesn't play by the rules, and they'll royally poo poo on any attempts at swinging the party back left. Just look at how they plotted and worked against Corbyn - they are willing to destroy the party rather than let us lefties have it.

I'd rather see everyone's energies spent creating something new rather than constantly fighting disingenuous backstabbing shits within the ranks.
Yeah this.

Plus centrist Labour doesn't want my vote. They've been pretty vocal about how delighted they are that leftists are being marginalised or pushed out of the party, so I don't see the need to support them with my money, with my volunteering or even my vote.

If my next ballot says Tory, Lib Dem or Labour, I just won't vote.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Gorn Myson posted:

Yeah this.

Plus centrist Labour doesn't want my vote. They've been pretty vocal about how delighted they are that leftists are being marginalised or pushed out of the party, so I don't see the need to support them with my money, with my volunteering or even my vote.

If my next ballot says Tory, Lib Dem or Labour, I just won't vote.

Yeah, not sure why I'm supposed to be voting for a party who's made it very clear that they hate me and that their priority is marginalising and excluding me and people like me.

"But at least they're not the Tories!!! :downs:"

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

I’m usually in the “anyone but a Tory” camp, but on this occasion I don’t actually think Starmer is the lesser evil. Not having a functioning opposition is a pretty big problem!

The Tories right now aren’t the worst they could possibly be, and as always when they’re winning they are infighting like crazy; more importantly, another term of Tories is the likely outcome even supporting Starmer.

Under those circumstances IMO it makes sense to punish Labour electorally for straying too far from the left. It would be different if Starmer was popular enough to have a realistic chance of beating the Tories, which was unknown when he came in, but he’s very obviously not.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
The Labour right are indistinguishable from the average Tory.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

my desk was covered with photocopies of Osama Bin Laden's face and I was referred to as Osama for weeks and weeks afterwards as in "Oi Osama, are you coming to this meeting".

What the gently caress?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I was at this rally in 2003. I think I've mentioned before how when I went in to work on the following Monday, my desk was covered with photocopies of Osama Bin Laden's face and I was referred to as Osama for weeks and weeks afterwards as in "Oi Osama, are you coming to this meeting".

:stare:

My bathroom contractor yesterday proudly announced that the strangest job he's EVER done was "One of them there MUSLIM fellers, with the hat you know? And a Christian lady! PREGNUNT an' all she was!"

I loving despair for this country, I really do.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/UnityNewsNet/status/1427712377328480257

I choose to look no further into what they're actually protesting because it'll be some fash bullshit and TBH I'm happy just with the idea of them attempting to use Magna Carta to seize Edinburgh Castle as the new high-water-mark of Freemen bullshit.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

If you want to try and seize Scottish land with English law, you really have to back up your words with trebuchets, at the very least.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Only works if your target in Bonnie Scotland is within 300m. And you're flinging a rock weighing around 90kg.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've met Jack Straw twice. The first time was at some young labour thing and he was plastered and said the oval office a lot.

The second time he asked me for directions, which I gave and mentioned I'd met him before and he told me to gently caress off.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
First trebuchet, and now deep batman cannon

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I wonder if Anti-derivative is for real, or just a wind-up? I'm a bit suspicious 'cos they're such a perfectly-toned Centrist: the smug, condescending attitude, the conception of politics as perpetually limited to choosing between the lesser of two evils and the immediate slide into calling people childish and stupid when they don't agree with them.

Come on, whose alt is it?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Beefeater1980 posted:

I’m usually in the “anyone but a Tory” camp, but on this occasion I don’t actually think Starmer is the lesser evil. Not having a functioning opposition is a pretty big problem!

Really it was a work of genius to decry Corbyn's Labour as somehow being an "ineffective" opposition because now whenever the same criticisms are levelled (far more legitimately) at Starmer it's very easy for people to dismiss it as bitter factionalism.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I know multiple people who've independently told me that they don't like Starmer because "he constantly attacks Boris on everything". :psyduck:

Maybe the Beeb shows a lot of parliamentary footage where Starmer gently asks the PM do slightly better idk.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

stev posted:

I know multiple people who've independently told me that they don't like Starmer because "he constantly attacks Boris on everything". :psyduck:

Maybe the Beeb shows a lot of parliamentary footage where Starmer gently asks the PM do slightly better idk.

It wouldn't surprise me if half of them still think Corbyn is leader of the Labour Party and think Starmer is Corbyn (who is to be seen on Facebook etc naysaying the Binbag of Custard), or vice versa, such is the fkd up land in which we live.

IIRC there were some voxpops where people thought either Corbyn was the leader of UKIP or Farage was leader of Labour or Farage WAS Corbyn or some such.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
This is literally just the American approach where the Democrats constantly suck up to Republicans and swing to the right trying to say we can be war criminal austerity fetishists too, while Republicans breathlessly scream that every single Democrat is a triple-Communist Taliban Nazi Commie Muslim Jew Traitor Mutant Commie regardless.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
do you reckon them magnum carter people are going to make the cafe inside edinburgh castle free as well as admission

they did a good cheesecake in there

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said

Pistol_Pete posted:

I wonder if Anti-derivative is for real, or just a wind-up? I'm a bit suspicious 'cos they're such a perfectly-toned Centrist: the smug, condescending attitude, the conception of politics as perpetually limited to choosing between the lesser of two evils and the immediate slide into calling people childish and stupid when they don't agree with them.

Not sure asking people why they wont vote starmer is much of a wind up, more like chucking bank notes into a crowd.

Personally if he was narrowly ahead 6 weeks out I would consider giving him a vote if only to change the flavour of shite raining down.

Fortunately for my conscience he's so incapable that he's double digits behind and investing his time and energy in agile ceremonies to improve the labour product offering, so it won't be a concern.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

sebzilla posted:

Really it was a work of genius to decry Corbyn's Labour as somehow being an "ineffective" opposition because now whenever the same criticisms are levelled (far more legitimately) at Starmer it's very easy for people to dismiss it as bitter factionalism.

i don't think there was any genius in it, them cunts just thoughtlessly flung everything they could put their hands to and over time some stuck

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
Voting as things are now is an actual waste of time. There's still better things you can do to make a change even in that ~30 mins you would spend in the voting queue.

While everyone else votes tory, going in to the car park and pissing on their door handles would literally do more to make the world a better place than voting for Kieth the Llama slayer.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/UnityNewsNet/status/1427712377328480257

I choose to look no further into what they're actually protesting because it'll be some fash bullshit and TBH I'm happy just with the idea of them attempting to use Magna Carta to seize Edinburgh Castle as the new high-water-mark of Freemen bullshit.

https://twitter.com/BenKearns5/status/1427743508811632640

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Does Magna Carta apply in Northumbria?

Mebh posted:

My bathroom contractor yesterday proudly announced that the strangest job he's EVER done was "One of them there MUSLIM fellers, with the hat you know? And a Christian lady! PREGNUNT an' all she was!"

I loving despair for this country, I really do.
Nod sagely and say "that's where Jews come from, Alex Jones said so."

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Obviously the anti-Labour side of last night's argument are correct, but the reservation I have about not voting Labour is that I do believe that Labour are quite clearly the lesser of 2 evils, meaning that people will die who otherwise would have lived if the Tories win the next election, and none of those people are me so it seems uncool of me to vote on the basis of high principle/long term political strategy when it's people less well-off than me who suffer for it. Someone very rightly pointed out that that's a hostage situation last time I said this, which, like, yes, but I still don't feel very comfortable with saying "fine kill the hostages".

Luckily it's a non-issue because (a)I live in a safe Labour seat so can happily vote "gently caress Starmer" without it affecting anyone, and (b)it doesn't look like Starmer needs my vote against him to gently caress it up all by himself, meaning that (c)those hostages are basically already dead so New New Labour needs to just loving die already so we can hopefully get an actual functioning opposition to save the next lot.

crispix posted:

i don't think there was any genius in it, them cunts just thoughtlessly flung everything they could put their hands to and over time some stuck
see I reckon it was the opposite of genius, I know a bunch of "centre-left" libs irl who bought into the "Corbyn is not effective opposition / Starmer will be" thing (people who actually voted for Corbyn, I mean, not the disingenuous "I don't support him because he's unelectable because I don't support him" lot), and they have shut the gently caress up now it has become apparent that we very clearly no longer have an effective opposition. Banging on about it for years has made the true believers & wreckers look like complete idiots.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If Starmer is going to go full security state testicle torture and no knock raid people growing plants I don't like, then people who otherwise would have lived will die if Labour wins the next election.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Marmaduke! posted:

First trebuchet, and now deep batman cannon

If batman is using it it's technically a bat-cannon.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Still waiting for a single policy or positive trait about Labour that isn't a comparison to the Tories.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Lungboy posted:

Still waiting for a single policy or positive trait about Labour that isn't a comparison to the Tories.

I know, really is funny how he just ignored any request for such.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Lungboy posted:

Still waiting for a single policy

Screengrab taken today.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Jakabite posted:

I know, really is funny how he just ignored any request for such.
It's because there aren't any. The best you can do is point out that he didn't actually propose legalising war crimes, legalising other crimes if ur a cop, criminalising protest, ethnically cleansing GRT communities, &c. He just, uh, supported those things when given the opportunity.

Labour has enough progressives & is dependent enough on the Unions that it has to sometimes at least pretend to pay lip service to progressive ideals, so would probably be less likely to propose that kind of really heinous poo poo itself, but that's about the best you can say atm. & still has a big "maybe I reckon but maybe not" qualifier.

Payndz posted:

Screengrab taken today.
lmao

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

Labour has enough progressives & is dependent enough on the Unions that it has to sometimes at least pretend to pay lip service to progressive ideals, so would probably be less likely to propose that kind of really heinous poo poo itself, but that's about the best you can say atm. & still has a big "maybe I reckon but maybe not" qualifier.
otoh

Bobstar posted:

Jack Straw
David Blunkett
Charles Clarke
John Reid
Jacqui Smith
Alan Johnson

Biggus Dickus
May 18, 2005

Roadies know where to focus the spotlight.

Julio Cruz posted:

feck.arse.feck.arse is somewhere off the southern coast of Ireland, so I guess that's where Craggy Island is

Was looking for the actual house more than anything. It's centred on flatulence.twatwaffle.batfastard.tribadism but there's feck all feck anywhere on the premises :(

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Pistol_Pete posted:

I mean it's blatantly pissflaps.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
there's a whiff of piss about them but I don't think flaps would have been able to post this long without being horrifically transphobic somewhere

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

That's actually kind of a good example of my point though, because I'm sure every one of that gaggle of cunts would have loving loved to do all of the poo poo that I listed in my last post, but didn't, because they still tried to pretend that they were progressive. New Labour committed war crimes, but they didn't just say "lol war crimes r legal now". On protest rights, they actually strengthened the right to engage in completely ineffectual forms of indirect action that don't achieve anything, where the Tories bang people up in jail for peaceful protest.

Basically the essence of my "defence" of Labour is that straight-up evil cunts who sometimes pretend not to be evil are probably better in the short-term than straight-up evil cunts who just say "hey guys look how evil I am lol". There's two obvious counterarguments there: firstly, it's short term only (& actively counterproductive in the long term), and secondly, it's just a big "I reckon", so if anyone reckons otherwise that stumps me.

As I said, the anti-Labour side of the argument are obviously right, because supporting the lesser of two evils just means that we won't get a non-evil option. I just kind of agree that they are the lesser evil. Maybe. Slightly. In the short term only. And I might be wrong.

Not a very helpful argument, I know :shrug:

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

If Starmer _was_ PM, then Johnson would I suspect be a very effective opposition. In fact I’d even guess Keith would be much better as PM than as opposition leader. He could never persuade the public to invade anywhere, or back any unpopular and risky policy…

The problem remains that, with Brexit a done deal, there is no reason for the middle class to vote anything substantially different from Tory, and with no enthusiastic army of leftist volunteers there is no mechanism to get the disenfranchised to vote.

A Labour leader who could propose a convincing solution to the problem would do pretty well. The problem and solution remain unchanged if you replace the word ‘Labour’ with ‘new party’. Even given PR, the liberal middle class party would still need to actually prefer the policies of the leftist party to those of the conservative middle class party in order to go into coalition with them.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Borrovan posted:

the reservation I have about not voting Labour is that I do believe that Labour are quite clearly the lesser of 2 evils, meaning that people will die who otherwise would have lived if the Tories win the next election, and none of those people are me

I am on long-term benefits as a result of illness and am facing imminent homelessless. Since housing is the one area Labour might be better at, one of those people might actually be me. And nevertheless I don't think you should vote Labour, because voting for Starmer will bolster the anti-poor bloc in the Labour Party, and kill whatever hope for us remains.

I'd be saying this even if there were a realistic chance of Labour winning the next election, which there is not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Why the gently caress would Labour be good on housing now, the demographics they thirst for are landlords