Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Endorph posted:

i havent even watched sonny boy. wheres your restaurant analogy for blue reflection ray.

think its the story you have about the lesbian burritos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Space Flower posted:

think its the story you have about the lesbian burritos
this is very accurate actually

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

kaiji is like taco bell because its a gamble as to whether our food is edible or not :v:

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

when i was in vietnam i ate at banh mi from a shop called lesbian banh mi. hottest food ive ever eaten. while i was dying from thirst and in desperate need of water bottles i ended up walking into the venue of some televised music competition show. being a foreigner, nobody recognized me and they just assumed i was supposed to be there. thus without anybody noticing i became part of the audience while scrounging the water bottles they had there. the same applies with blue reflection, it has somehow become part of the season line-up without anybody noticing and its in desperate need of viewers. the banh mi wasn't very good, how blue reflection compares on that front i do not know

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Nitrousoxide posted:

Slime’s pretty boring this season. The plot has zero tension as everything they spent 5 episodes setting up goes off without a hitch.

It’s like a heist movie where the heist has no wrenches thrown into it and they also spend half the movie going over the plan ahead of time in excruciating detail. Just amateur hour on the plot structure.

They've spent all season talking about how the bad guy has invited them to a dinner party and have yet to go to said dinner party.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blue reflection would be like if the banh mi was very tasty but also looked like someone had taken a dump on it

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

it's not 'missed a broadcast and has unfinished animation' bad, its just a little rough and corner-cutting as shows late in their run can get if they didn't have a good production schedule. and overall the adaptation hasn't really done a lot to reconfigure/re-pace the material into good tv episodes imo. its an interesting story but not the best execution of it.

It's gotten pretty crap with the island arc. Ugly, badly paced, the narrative and world make no sense...

It's a slog.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the banh mi was so spicy, it would turn the tips of your fingers red

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Brutal Garcon posted:

They've spent all season talking about how the bad guy has invited them to a dinner party and have yet to go to said dinner party.

Maybe they'll go to the dinner party next week? I mean at least the plot has moved forward somewhat with them actually facing evil guy's army.

Edit: or maybe they'll waste the episode on a no stakes fight with clowns, I don't know.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 18, 2021

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kung Food posted:

If we are going to use restaurant analogies, JJK is the the grubby hole in the wall where all the locals actually eat at. Sonny Boy is the hyped up spot nobody actually enjoys, but they pretend too because the pretentious rear end in a top hat brigade told them they should. That's right I said it. Sonny Boy is boring, the characters are flat, and it's way up it's own rear end. gently caress you.

Finally someone says it

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

dogsicle posted:

the banh mi was so spicy, it would turn the tips of your fingers red

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Hargrimm posted:

For me the best thing about JJK is that it just doesn't have the one absolute shitter main cast member that every other shounen feels obliged to pull out to drag down a scene or two every couple episodes. Like Mineta for MHA or Zenitsu for Demon Slayer. The core crew in JJK is just good all round and there's not anyone that I dread getting screen time.

Gonna second this. This might secretly be one of the strongest points in the show's favor, I seriously thought I was going to hate Todo when he first showed up but then he turned out to be extremely excellent and that basically kept happening for the entire run of the anime.

There's nobody in the show with go-away heat, it makes you like the characters you're supposed to like and hate the characters you're supposed to hate, there's nobody where the signals are crossed. And as a special bonus, the show is smart enough that the characters the audience likes are not necessarily the same as the characters the other characters like to absolutely glorious effect ("nice pitch!")

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'm pretty sure like 90% of shonens can clear that bar there's just two extremely popular ones that don't

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Yeah, I can't think of an obnoxious mainstay in Hunter x Hunter or Bleach, the two long-running shonen shows I've watched, so it isn't a universal trend

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'm sure if JJK had more than three women in it, todo would join those ranks

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Hey Tonikawa's back! I liked the anime enough to make the mistake of reading the manga, and it's great until it gets messed up later on.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

Yeah, I can't think of an obnoxious mainstay in Hunter x Hunter or Bleach, the two long-running shonen shows I've watched, so it isn't a universal trend

TBF, the main cast for each arc in HXH tends to switch up pretty significantly. It's really just Killua, Gon, and a steadily rotating lineup of new and recurring friends and enemies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And Bleach had Kon, but at least he became irrelevant extremely quick.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Silver2195 posted:

Have you tried Odd Taxi?

Oh you.... :biglips:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly, I'd take Kon over all the characters that worked for an authoritarian government that joined up with Ichigo and friends.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Waffleman_ posted:

Bleach had Bleach

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Definitely seem to remember Mayuri having go-away heat for a lot of viewers.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Definitely seem to remember Mayuri having go-away heat for a lot of viewers.

Even if you don't have moral objections to him, he's just a boring character with uninteresting fights, which is saying something when many fights are sword beam from behind you.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he's an entertaining rear end in a top hat, and i don't blame him for stuff like szayel being prime kubo "no, you" combat

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

dogsicle posted:

he's an entertaining rear end in a top hat, and i don't blame him for stuff like szayel being prime kubo "no, you" combat

the szayel fight was incredibly funny so lol if anyone got upset at him over that

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i was upset because i wanted better :mad:

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I don’t know how you go up from, “my assistants womb has given you incredible Superman drugs and rendered you useless as I stab you”

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
mayuri was weirdly popular here back in bleach's heyday. there was an absolutely awful smiley of him, even.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Mayuri is an evil bastard. But I found he had charisma and was entertaining.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mayuri is fun in a similar (probably) unintentional way to Aizen in that he embodies a lot of what is hilariously stupid about how Bleach is written.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Aizen unironically rules.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I liked it when half the cast just kind of forgot about his hypnosis powers and thought that they had caught him in some brilliant trap when they were actually just beating the living poo poo out of Momo.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Spiritus Nox posted:

Mayuri is fun in a similar (probably) unintentional way to Aizen in that he embodies a lot of what is hilariously stupid about how Bleach is written.

I think Kubo knows a bit with Mayuri given the recent chapter they pointed out that Mayuri was explaining his hologram tech like he was in a fight.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Elephant Parade posted:

The obnoxious mainstays in Bleach were the main villains (Aizen and Yhwach). Aizen is fun to meme about, but the actual fights involving him were just awful to read week to week. Just :smug: "You thought you were behind me, but actually it is I who is behind you, because you've been under my illusions all along/because of the power of the Hogyoku/because I'm just that strong!" over and over.

Weirdly enough, while Bleach was running, Hitsugaya got a fair amount of go-away heat. I'm not really sure why.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Girls liked him.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

he has the same power as rukia and she should've just gotten all his fights/appearances as a bonus

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the idea is Rukia's sword was Cold-themed, while Hitsugaya's was Ice.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Hitsugaya is fine, it was just overkill with him showing up in every arc, particularly when like half the captains and lieutenants never got anything. Throw some of those wins Chad's and Ishida's way, man.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

RatHat posted:

I think the idea is Rukia's sword was Cold-themed, while Hitsugaya's was Ice.

having not read bleach this is a hilarious distinction

it's a COLD sword not an ICE sword, mom! GOD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I know none of the powers have to obey physics but I do think the cold sword having some gag about where all that heat goes would be funny