Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Brer Rabbkt was racist long before Bisney got his hands on it. It was written phonetically by a well off white dude remembering the stories the sharecroppers on his farm would tell. Apocryphal stories talk about its a big reason Disney was so fond of it, 'it didn't feel the need to clean itself up for modern(for the 30s) audiences.' Like people in the 30s though Song of the South was too racist.

Joel Chandler Harris was not a well-off dude. It wasn't his farm - he just worked there and found more in common with the slaves than other whites. He spent his entire career as a journalist advocating racial equality, and was quite poor until the Uncle Remus stories started bringing in money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
🅱️isney

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Brer Rabbkt was racist long before Bisney got his hands on it. It was written phonetically by a well off white dude remembering the stories the sharecroppers on his farm would tell. Apocryphal stories talk about its a big reason Disney was so fond of it, 'it didn't feel the need to clean itself up for modern(for the 30s) audiences.' Like people in the 30s though Song of the South was too racist.

That doesn't seem likely considering Song of the South was made in 1944. But even without considering the dates, I think it's really unlikely that more than a minority of white people in America were considering it racist in the 1940s. Half the outrage when it was released was Southern Whites protesting that it made blacks look good.

Disney may not ever have sold Song of the South on home media platforms in the USA, but they have sold it abroad. They also based their Splash Mountain ride on the movie in nineteen eighty-loving-nine and didn't announce that they were going to retheme it until last year.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Jedit posted:

That doesn't seem likely considering Song of the South was made in 1944. But even without considering the dates, I think it's really unlikely that more than a minority of white people in America were considering it racist in the 1940s. Half the outrage when it was released was Southern Whites protesting that it made blacks look good.

Disney may not ever have sold Song of the South on home media platforms in the USA, but they have sold it abroad. They also based their Splash Mountain ride on the movie in nineteen eighty-loving-nine and didn't announce that they were going to retheme it until last year.

And it was named Splash Mountain to promote the movie Splash.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

They should have made it Wakanda Mountain instead of going with Princess and the Frog.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

AceOfFlames posted:

They should have made it Wakanda Mountain instead of going with Princess and the Frog.

Hold on, I need to watch a Defunctland episode that will release ten years from now to figure out which of these ideas would age worse.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Jedit posted:

Don't worry there's tons of white people that are outraged Disney is "giving in to cancel culture" and retheming a classic ride made with characters that were four decades old when the ride was made three decades ago. The only reason the ride uses the Song of the South characters is because Eisner was a cheapskate and they already had those animatronics and set dressings.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Jedit posted:

I double checked, there was a number of protests around the country organized by various equal rights groups by apparently that came down to confusion about when it was set. Disney refused multiple requests from the Hayes Office to add even a establishing card that it was the 1870s, possibly for fear of offending The Daughters of the Confederacy but just as likely out of resentment for the Hayes Office constantly sticking their nose into Hollwood.

Apparently it was also made with grant money from the government as part of a propaganda campaign to celebrate America's victory over racism.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
All the media that came out re. the U.S. invading Afghanistan.

And the UK.

And the 'coalition of the willing'.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Samovar posted:

And the UK.

My neighbor was obsessed with this video when we were kids. I can’t believe I found it on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/jSTXrSTnaiM

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Samovar posted:

And the UK.

Fortunately it only took my brain an eighth of a femtosecond to correctly predict this outcome after Bush said the words twenty years ago. I haven’t had to do more than ponder why it was taking so long ever since.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
remembering seeing that image of bin ladens sprawling underground supervillain lair and even as a kid going 'how exactly do they know all this to the point of putting it out there in public'

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Anyone else remember that really bad Toby Keith Taliban song?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I feel like Stickdeath (if it still existed) is a nice microcosm of post-9/11, war on terror stuff.

Maybe it's no wonder the website kinda just disappeared at the end of the 00s

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Anyone else remember that really bad Toby Keith Taliban song?

is that the

we're gonna put a boot in your rear end, that's the American way
Cause Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list
And the Statute of liberty started shaking her fist

something something something Liberty Bell.

Literally all from memory just now.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

these colors don't run y'all

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Aces High posted:

I feel like Stickdeath (if it still existed) is a nice microcosm of post-9/11, war on terror stuff.

Maybe it's no wonder the website kinda just disappeared at the end of the 00s

I remember a friend showing me stickdeath during my first week of college, two weeks before 9/11. It was basically the same as its post-9/11 self, but just torture of stick figures without rationale. I don't remember if it had police raid shooting games as well, but it might have.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/queeralamode/status/1426990554584256512?s=21

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

I mean, the entire sketch is pointing out how we're at war and everyone is pretending it's great.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

pentyne posted:

is that the

we're gonna put a boot in your rear end, that's the American way
Cause Uncle Sam put your name at the top of his list
And the Statute of liberty started shaking her fist

something something something Liberty Bell.

Literally all from memory just now.

And the eagle will fly man, it's gonna be hell
When you hear mother freedom start ringin' her bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc

IIRC Keith even used to be a Democrat (albeit almost certainly a conservative one) but he was just one of the many minds that snapped after 9/11 and went completely off the rails.

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Push El Burrito posted:

I mean, the entire sketch is pointing out how we're at war and everyone is pretending it's great.
The optics are still pretty dire considering the show's made a big deal about getting buddy-buddy with some of the worst people in American politics in the interim. Sarah Palin, Dan Crenshaw, Donald Trump, what have you.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

christmas boots posted:

And the eagle will fly man, it's gonna be hell
When you hear mother freedom start ringin' her bell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruNrdmjcNTc

IIRC Keith even used to be a Democrat (albeit almost certainly a conservative one) but he was just one of the many minds that snapped after 9/11 and went completely off the rails.

Pre-9/11 if you were politically conservative but still wanted to say "rear end" you called yourself a Democrat. After 9/11 you just went for it.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Just as bad or worse than that Toby Keith song, but not as well known:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3Svn_p3_zE

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The best 9/11 song is Sacrificed Sons by Dream Theater because even that subject didn’t stop them from putting a five minute instrumental jam in the middle of it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Im sure leftover crack has a bush did 9-11 song and im glad at least one band is singing truths

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Henchman of Santa posted:

The best 9/11 song is Sacrificed Sons by Dream Theater because even that subject didn’t stop them from putting a five minute instrumental jam in the middle of it.

Oh man you just reminded me of their incredibly unfortunate album cover for their live from New York album that came out on 9/11/01

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Oh man you just reminded me of their incredibly unfortunate album cover for their live from New York album that came out on 9/11/01

I don't think it can be any worse than this Slayer poster:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Arivia posted:

I don't think it can be any worse than this Slayer poster:

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Sir Lemming posted:

Pre-9/11 if you were politically conservative but still wanted to say "rear end" you called yourself a Democrat. After 9/11 you just went for it.

Either that or they went libertarian and retreated into a cultural cul-de-sac. I feel like the schism point is whether they thought soldiers were dumb or badass, actually.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

Don't forget this classic. It was made in June 2001 but the album wasn't supposed to come out until November 2001, but at the time I think it was circulated with "this came out on 9/11!".

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

SgtScruffy posted:

Don't forget this classic. It was made in June 2001 but the album wasn't supposed to come out until November 2001, but at the time I think it was circulated with "this came out on 9/11!".

great album too

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

I see your Broaderick and Shields and raise you a Shackleton

https://youtu.be/KQr6m2l2J-Y

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018
So what is the best example of something made with pure and good intentions that has aged the worst?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ElectronicOldMen posted:

So what is the best example of something made with pure and good intentions that has aged the worst?

Humanity

ElectronicOldMen
Jun 18, 2018

I said pure and good intentions.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ElectronicOldMen posted:

that's a hard question because it's easy to point to things like Helping The Retarded Know God (Hans Raymond Hahn, Werner H. Raasch, 1969) but there is always something far worse if you're willing to dig even a little bit

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

ElectronicOldMen posted:

Anything about trans people from before like 2005 or so.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Moon Monster posted:

Anything about trans people from before like 2005 or so.

Glen or Glenda might be a decent nomination. Ed Wood seems to have made the film out of love, but it was so incompetently done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Rockman Reserve posted:

that's a hard question because it's easy to point to things like Helping The Retarded Know God (Hans Raymond Hahn, Werner H. Raasch, 1969) but there is always something far worse if you're willing to dig even a little bit

Yeah I would say an education film that uses now offensive terms and outdated knowledge probably aged the worst.