Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Soteriology
Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

It's like you have sight beyond sight.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Well played. :golfclap:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Hey I posted that in the Americana.txt thread

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Inspector 34 posted:

A real receipt found in the wild at a self checkout I was using.

Not a single bag of Combos. Pathetic

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Inspector 34 posted:

Either the exchange rate for whatever currency that is is insane, or those are some dirt cheap red bulls.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening
2 bucks for a can of Red Bull sounds right. Plus 10 cents for the can deposit.

Edit: It looks to be somewhere in the states.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

...can deposit?

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

Detective No. 27 posted:

...can deposit?

The lines below the Red Bull and the Coke are bottle/can deposits. You can return the empties and get you 10 cents back.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Can/bottle deposits is a roundabout way to encourage recycling. Turn in your empties & get a couple cents back. Then you get places that charge the deposit at checkout, so to get back to net zero you have to recycle.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

koshmar posted:

2 bucks for a can of Red Bull sounds right. Plus 10 cents for the can deposit.

Edit: It looks to be somewhere in the states.

Man I’m lucky if I can get a Red Bull for less that 3.50 around here.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We just have recycle bins where I live.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

:stwoon:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

That's the way this should be.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Detective No. 27 posted:

We just have recycle bins where I live.

The idea is that people who would be too lazy to recycle otherwise or just don't care can be convinced to recycle when there's money on the line. 10¢ a can builds up fast, and as a result ~90% of cans and bottles in Michigan end up recycled.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

strong irl lol

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

The idea is that people who would be too lazy to recycle otherwise or just don't care can be convinced to recycle when there's money on the line. 10¢ a can builds up fast, and as a result ~90% of cans and bottles in Michigan end up recycled.

To build ln this, it's pretty drat successful, and can drives are a not insignificant source of fundraising revenue for like high school intramurals or whatever. Plus I'm pretty sure that everyone in MI has done at least one can hunt along the side of a road, picking up empties to return for a few bucks at some point in their life

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

koshmar posted:

The lines below the Red Bull and the Coke are bottle/can deposits. You can return the empties and get you 10 cents back.

it's "depraved softdick single" and it's the hottest new username of 2021

Szechuan
Mar 3, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man I’m lucky if I can get a Red Bull for less that 3.50 around here.

There's also a 1.00 discount on the cans. They're normally 3.99 plus deposit.

Edit: Misread the numbers like a drat toddler lol.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

mercenarynuker posted:

To build ln this, it's pretty drat successful, and can drives are a not insignificant source of fundraising revenue for like high school intramurals or whatever. Plus I'm pretty sure that everyone in MI has done at least one can hunt along the side of a road, picking up empties to return for a few bucks at some point in their life

What if someone were to collect cans from a state without a deposit (like New York?) and return them in Michigan? Huge profits!

They would need some sort of truck to move them. Maybe a mail truck? Do you know any unscrupulous mailmen?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zero One posted:

What if someone were to collect cans from a state without a deposit (like New York?) and return them in Michigan? Huge profits!

They would need some sort of truck to move them. Maybe a mail truck? Do you know any unscrupulous mailmen?

You'd periodically hear news stories of someone trying to bring a bunch of cans from Indiana (no deposit) to Michigan. That really stopped working once the automated scanners became common. But even before that it usually ended in at least a fine for the perpetrators.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

I can hear this entire scene in my head.

:spergin: however it’s not from the bottle deposit episode, it’s from when Kramer adopts a highway.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

mercenarynuker posted:

I'm pretty sure that everyone in MI has done at least one can hunt along the side of a road, picking up empties to return for a few bucks at some point in their life

*spots betsy devos on the side of the road and ever-so-slightly starts turning the wheel*

oldmandon
Feb 10, 2004

OMG! It's OMD!

Inspector 34 posted:

What's the recyclable bag charge? Does that mean there's a plastic bag ban and this person is being charged 5 cents to use a bag made of heavier plastic? Or is it because they've gone the complete opposite route of a bag ban and are charging someone for using a reusable cloth bag?

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

oldmandon posted:

What's the recyclable bag charge? Does that mean there's a plastic bag ban and this person is being charged 5 cents to use a bag made of heavier plastic? Or is it because they've gone the complete opposite route of a bag ban and are charging someone for using a reusable cloth bag?
My local supermarket has a 5 cent discount for bringing my own bag. Charging 5 cents is counter intuitive.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Every supermarket here charges per plastic bag to discourage their usage and I assume that's just a very poorly worded plastic bag charge

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

it means they charged $0.05 for a plastic or paper bag. plastic and paper are recyclable. no one charges you to bring your own bag :confused:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Stroop There It Is posted:

no one charges you to bring your own bag :confused:

sounds like a million dollar idea there pal.

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

It's like a corkage fee, for when you just want to enjoy your own bag

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

They want people to use re-usable bags so there’s a 5 cent fee per lovely plastic bag that you throw out as soon as you get home.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
who the gently caress throws out those bags, they are reused for something else 99% of the time anyway

Here I am throwing out all my free bags and buying OTHER plastic bags to use for garbage in my car or whatever

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
It's weird that hippies want me to pick up dog poop with those woven plastic reusable bags

Seems way more wasteful

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

The 5 cent bag fee is because we're running out of oil so they're raising money to squish some whales and make some more

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

This is like something out of a fairy tale. May you be rewarded, good sir.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Bloop posted:

who the gently caress throws out those bags, they are reused for something else 99% of the time anyway

Here I am throwing out all my free bags and buying OTHER plastic bags to use for garbage in my car or whatever

There’s 2 types of people.

The type that throws those bags out.

And

The type that has 500 of them stuffed in a drawer somewhere.

Also if you’re using them as a garbage bag for your car, I assume you’re still throwing them out after.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RCarr posted:

There’s 2 types of people.

The type that throws those bags out.

And

The type that has 500 of them stuffed in a drawer somewhere.

Also if you’re using them as a garbage bag for your car, I assume you’re still throwing them out after.
I mean you can also recycle them

and yes of course I am throwing them out after, but if I didn't have them I'd have to be buying and then throwing out an additional bag

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I looked

They DO make bad shirts

Very bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011