Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Oh wow Arch Echo making strides.

They need to fire Hugh Syme. Cover looks like a lazy smash-up of Black Clouds and Dramatic Turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

god dammit no loving vancouver show

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I'd be fine with that cover were it not for the giant shoes

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Welp I got me a ticket, hopefully its a nice album? A good chunk of the reason I'm going is to see the legendary guitar skillz in person since I'm still up and down on prog rock as a whole but it's slowly growing on me. As long as Triumph's Blinding Light Show counts, I'm good.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

hexwren posted:

I'd be fine with that cover were it not for the giant shoes
it's thankfully the only reference this album contains to the band's sweaty foot fetish

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Vulture Culture posted:

it's thankfully the only reference this album contains to the band's sweaty foot fetish

i was having a nice day

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
It turns out Yes's new song, "The Ice Bridge" was "accidentally" a cover of Francis Monkman's "Dawn of an Era" from his "Energism" album. But before it was released on Energism it was submitted to TV stations for their song library. Apparently Geoff Downes found a 1977 tape with some of his compositions and that song was on it. So he assumed it was something he wrote and he decided to turn it into a Yes song. They went through the whole process of recording and releasing it, but it only a took a day after they put it on youtube that the internet found out it was a direct lift from Monkman's song. Downes cleared it up with Monkman and he will get a writing credit so it's all good I guess. Still it's pretty embarrassing for them, and it made so some funny Darren Lock videos.
https://youtu.be/p1vwbZqqydQ

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jul 31, 2021

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Can't believe I'm seriously considering taking vacation in November to fly to Toronto for a weekend to see a Dream Theater concert...

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Kazinsal posted:

Can't believe I'm seriously considering taking vacation in November to fly to Toronto for a weekend to see a Dream Theater concert...

At least you're considering some place civilized, unlike Rochester. :v:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I dunno guys they wrote a lot of good material in the years 1985-2005 so they might play some of that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

algebra testes posted:

I dunno guys they wrote a lot of good material in the years 1985-2005 so they might play some of that.

Are you talking about dream theater or yes?

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

How have I never really listened to Soft Machine before. This came up on the youtube algorithm and it's unreal. Holdsworth kills it as does the rest of the band. And yeah, it's the only Soft Machine album that Holdsworth is on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z99w41FVpqY

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Wiltsghost posted:

How have I never really listened to Soft Machine before. This came up on the youtube algorithm and it's unreal. Holdsworth kills it as does the rest of the band. And yeah, it's the only Soft Machine album that Holdsworth is on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z99w41FVpqY

I enjoy Bundles but it took me a while to accept it because I was annoyed that late-period Soft Machine doesn't sound like Robert Wyatt-era Soft Machine. (Bundles is from the late phase of the band, when only Mike Ratledge from the original incarnation was still in the band and he wasn't making much in the way of songwriting contributions and Karl Jenkins had took over as band leader. By that stage it had so many ex-Nucleus members that it's best to think of the group as "Nucleus without Ian Carr" rather than "Soft Machine without Robert Wyatt", and once you do that it I find it clicks into place.)

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Warthur posted:

I enjoy Bundles but it took me a while to accept it because I was annoyed that late-period Soft Machine doesn't sound like Robert Wyatt-era Soft Machine. (Bundles is from the late phase of the band, when only Mike Ratledge from the original incarnation was still in the band and he wasn't making much in the way of songwriting contributions and Karl Jenkins had took over as band leader. By that stage it had so many ex-Nucleus members that it's best to think of the group as "Nucleus without Ian Carr" rather than "Soft Machine without Robert Wyatt", and once you do that it I find it clicks into place.)

Those are good points. I really need to listen to the Wyatt era of the band because I've heard that's great stuff too. I love Ian Carr's Nucleus but never realized so many of the members played on this album.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
These new Leprous songs are coming out to be really lame so far.

Like really, REALLY lame. Surprisingly so.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Made it.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 9, 2021

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

No flash photography!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Nightmare Cinema posted:

These new Leprous songs are coming out to be really lame so far.

Like really, REALLY lame. Surprisingly so.

Sadly that's how I've always felt about this band.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
From camp:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

This is great music

Peshlevkconsensus
Aug 7, 2021

Wiltsghost posted:

Those are good points. I really need to listen to the Wyatt era of the band because I've heard that's great stuff too. I love Ian Carr's Nucleus but never realized so many of the members played on this album.

The Wyatt-era stuff is great, some of the most interesting and creative music I've heard from that era. (it's also nice to hear Wyatt before he had his accident, and thus his music got incredibly dark).

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Rock Bottom is dark...but some of his later stuff is really nice. Check out Shleep, it's probably my favorite of his. the first track has Eno on it and it's incredible

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Primus kicked off their Rush tour on Tuesday.

https://youtu.be/4S70s2qsMvI

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

XBenedict posted:

They sound great. I wish I could make one of those but I’m going to be traveling. Thanks for the link though, pretty high quality fan vid.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

New Dream Theater single has two things going for it - Myung’s bass is real juicy in the mix, and the drumming is tight as gently caress, definitely Mangini’s best showing so far.

Rest of it is DT-by-numbers and pretty forgettable. Labrie is lower in the mix and singing in a lower register which is nice I guess.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

XBenedict posted:

I appreciate Les wearing the kimono.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

tote up a bags posted:

New Dream Theater single has two things going for it - Myung’s bass is real juicy in the mix, and the drumming is tight as gently caress, definitely Mangini’s best showing so far.

Rest of it is DT-by-numbers and pretty forgettable. Labrie is lower in the mix and singing in a lower register which is nice I guess.

It's making me remember just how glad I am that JP got his own IIC+-based signature Boogie. The first couple post-Portnoy albums his tone was starting to feel horribly fat. Since he's gotten the JP-2C it's really tightened up and sounds more like the Six Degrees/Train of Thought/Octavarium tone.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
I dig the guitar tone and Mangini sounds like he's allowed to be himself (finally). Some tight tasty interplay.

But my god do their lyrics get worse with every album. The first lines out of James' mouth I was already like "oh goddammit."

Also JP needs to stop with the soaring "Life affirming as gently caress" slow licks. Those worked between Octavarium and Dramatic Turn but now they're just overdone. Even the new Liquid Tension Experiment suffered a bit because of that imo.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I just finished the first volume of this religious prog worship thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5rYL5aVy8k

The proggiest bit is probably around the 7:45 mark but most of it until the last song (which is shoegaze lol) is pretty complex.

Bandcamp is here for the free DL: https://jtholen.bandcamp.com/album/the-odd-awed-god-laud-vol-1

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gaspy Conana posted:

I just finished the first volume of this religious prog worship thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5rYL5aVy8k

The proggiest bit is probably around the 7:45 mark but most of it until the last song (which is shoegaze lol) is pretty complex.

Bandcamp is here for the free DL: https://jtholen.bandcamp.com/album/the-odd-awed-god-laud-vol-1

I've said it once, and I'll say it again. This owns (dry) bones.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

If you like religious prog, then feel free to give my album a listen:

https://ledbytheshepherd.bandcamp.com/releases

I released it in 2015 and then immediately lost my job and had to abandon promoting it in favour of a career change haha

It's only now that I've been able to focus on promotion and trying to get people to listen to/buy it. It's kind of pseudo-prog in the way that Deep Purple is pseudo-prog.

I just realized that like 6/10 songs are in Em. That's not very prog! Also, the only odd time signature is 4 bars of 7/8 in the middle of "The Return." Frank Zappa would be sooooo disappointed.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Religious prog is ok, but prog religions are better. Moogs instead of organs, readings from the Silmarillion, a high holy day on July 8th, paintings of the Madonna and child by roger dean, all that stuff.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

what's on july 8th?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

hexwren posted:

what's on july 8th?

It’s 7/8

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

BigFactory posted:

It’s 7/8

Europe arguably made a bigger contribution to prog rock, so it should be August 7th.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson are doing a craft beer.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
And now for something completely different.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoHCTSp1R8U

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
new Mastodon single Pushing the Tides is out new album Hushed and Grim coming next month
https://youtu.be/_IWkCo5ZPLQ

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

From David Bottrill's FB:

quote:

GRAMMY® AWARD-WINNING MASTODON ANNOUNCE NEW ALBUM HUSHED AND GRIM OUT OCTOBER 29 VIA REPRISE RECORDS

PRODUCED AND MIXED BY DAVID BOTTRILL

September 10th, 2021 (Los Angeles, CA) – Mastodon will release their anxiously awaited ninth full-length album, HUSHED AND GRIM, on October 29, 2021 via Reprise Records. It is available for pre-order at all digital retailers and in vinyl and physical configurations here. Closing a four-year gap, this notably marks the heavy rock quartet’s first double album and first new record since 2017’s Emperor of Sand, which netted the Atlanta band GRAMMY® Award in the category of “Best Metal Performance” — their first win for the five-time nominees. EOS also bowed at #1 on the Billboard Top Album Sales chart, #1 on the Billboard Hard Rock Chart, and #7 on the Billboard Top 200 as “Show Yourself,” from EOS marked their highest entry at Active Rock, reaching #4.

Over the past year, the group recorded HUSHED AND GRIM in their hometown, collaborating with producer David Bottrill [Tool, Rush, Muse, Peter Gabriel] behind the board. As their most ambitious body of work to date, it consists of 15 tracks, surveying sonic landscapes of rock, psychedelia, punk, metal, alternative, and prog threaded together by the innately expressive musical interplay of these four virtuosic musicians. At the same time, an atmosphere of very real loss, loneliness, and longing permeates through the trio of cathartic vocals as they musically say goodbye to old friend, confidant, and longtime manager the late Nick John by architecting a magnum opus that bears the influence of his eternal memory.

Opening up this world, the band shared a new track entitled “Pushing The Tides.” Its gnashing riffs and pummeling rhythms steamroll towards an expansive refrain uplifted by a ghostly chorus melody.

For as much as HUSHED AND GRIM is steeped in one of the darkest periods of the band’s career as each member experiencing personal grief, its light shines through in a fully realized manifestation everything Mastodon is right now.

Once again, Mastodon have drafted revered artist Paul Romano (Remission, Leviathan, Call of the Mastodon, Blood Mountain, Crack The Skye) whose evocative images adorns the cover of HUSHED AND GRIM.

HUSHED AND GRIM represents the next step on Mastodon’s endless path of natural evolution. They’ve once again progressed exponentially as songwriters and musicians who transcend genres while unapologetically refusing to conform and preserving the integrity that transformed them into an iconic and influential forces in modern rock music. By removing boundaries and creating in a free form they evolved with a combination of newfound melodic confidence and their signature musical intricacy intact. In the end, HUSHED AND GRIM is hard-hitting, hypnotic, and heart-wrenching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
That single sounds awesome. With 15 tracks making up two albums I'm hoping they ramp up the psychedelia up to Crack the Skye levels